HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers at Rangers

Old
03-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Heyoooo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
12 Days to the deadline.
6 Games to play in that time.
Devs won tonight.

Can't believe this team is where it is right now?

Maloney has started to call out Tortorella a bit. Talked about the system recently. Grinding vs playmaking etc.

Sounds like Kennan just called out Torts also. I didn't see what he said, just reading this thread.

Now Henrik is calling out the offense. Or is he calling out the system itself?

Is Torts losing the room?

Earlier in the season I believe Rupp called out Torts. Or at least I think I read that here. He was immediately traded. Certainly not trading Lundqvist. Not firing Maloney. I don't even know what Keenan does. I think hes on happy pills.

Bottomline...Team isn't where it should be. Coach or players?

Didnt bother with the postgame so I have no idea about Maloney or Keenan, but I wouldnt doubt it.

As for Rupp, no idea what he said.

I think its clear Torts shelf life with this current roster has run its course. That course ended in May.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Richards was a beast in the playoffs, which is what I expected him to be like this year.
'Beast in the playoffs' who was only good for one playoff series against Caps....

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:34 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
http://insidehockey.com/rangers-stil...or-consistency

Quote:
NEW YORK – Maybe this is who the Rangers are.

They are an inconsistent outfit incapable of scoring to the point where they can be a consistent hockey club.

They certainly did not make it hard enough on last-place Florida (9-16-6, 24 pts) or their young goaltender Jacob Markstrom, who made 44 saves in a 3-1 Panthers win Thursday night at MSG.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:37 PM
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star

Enough. How much of this is Tort's fault is debateable.

We traded away Chemistry for Rick Nash and an unwillingness to match some pricey contracts. I'm not saying they won't find Chemistry again but in a shortened season without a pre-season, that's gonne be tough on any coach. What team wouldn't suffer from losing Dubinsky, Prust, Fedetenko, Anisimov -- all competitors and guys who bought into the system -- and replacing them with a mixed bag.

Between loss of chemistry and Richards' losing his mojo, those are some tough breaks for ANY coach. Enough with the Torts hate.

How easily people forget how brilliant the system looked last season and how well coached the team looked.

messierjagrlundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Baby Punisher

Torts is complaing there isn't enough creativity yet he insists on playing a defensive style. I don't understand how a team with this much talent on the it's top 2 lines & several puck moving defensemen that can still play defense plays such a closed off bottle neck dump & chase style of play. What ever happened to the Torts mantra safe is death??

Yes, Lundquist did say they have to start scoring goals. He is right, this is true, but He has to be better as well. No one on this team is playing lights out better than another.

I do think Torts is losing the room. However, winning, (let me say that again) WINNING cures all.

Bottom line they need to open it up.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:39 PM
ltsthinaz

When every back-up, rookie or lousy goalie looks like the second coming of Patrick Roy or Jacques Plante against the Rangers, it is not a coincidence. It is our offensive system - every play around the outside, behind the net. No one is ever making a play 20 feet out in the slot (it's called "the scoring zone"). Grind, forecheck - every team knows to just pack it in in front of the goalie and we can't possibly score.

I do remember when Tortarella was hired it was because he was going to be offensively aggressive and exciting - now the team is completely predictable and about as exciting as watching grass grow.

You ain't winning many games scoring one goal a game, with what looks like a statutory limit of three.

And do you realize Florida is 30th in the league on the PK. I've never seen a power play as pathetic as this one. To call it abysmal is a compliment.

That said, now is not the time to blow up the team and make panicked moves, you'll overpay for dreck and compromise the future. Couple of tweaks, some new blood, and maybe a new coach next year, and we'll be back in the contending mix. I'm afraid this year is lost.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:44 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
'Beast in the playoffs' who was only good for one playoff series against Caps....
PPG in the Caps series doesn't mean he wasn't also good in Ottawa and NJ.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Did Torts actually say he doesn't coach offense?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Yes, after the Buffalo game, I believe.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Anyone else notice Nash was really laboring out there tonight. Not skating as fast as he normally does at all. He really needs a Torts training camp to get his conditioning up.

I'm very disappointed in the loss tonight. However, I'm a Rangers fan when they win and Rangers fan when they lose. I will always watch, root for them and have hope that they can win the stanley cup. That's just me.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:48 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
PPG in the Caps series doesn't mean he wasn't also good in Ottawa and NJ.
To be fair to Richards, he isn't cut out for this dump and chase, grind it out system. He's more of a passer than a goal-scorer.

On the flip side, as you get older you need to work more on your conditioning and strength, and he obviously spent the lock-out lifting something other than weights (I'm in Arizona, so I don't know exactly who he's dating).

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR135 View Post
Anyone else notice Nash was really laboring out there tonight. Not skating as fast as he normally does at all. He really needs a Torts training camp to get his conditioning up.

I'm very disappointed in the loss tonight. However, I'm a Rangers fan when they win and Rangers fan when they lose. I will always watch, root for them and have hope that they can win the stanley cup. That's just me.
So, the games where Nash was flying and doing a lot of good stuff, he was also out of condition?
Sorry if I really have trouble following your thought train.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:53 PM
JD123

I am definitely disappointed with the way Tortorella has coached this season and its obvious the team is not playing for him like last season, but when does Mr. Sather get some of this blame? 13 years and counting. Yikes. Its obvious with the strict salary guidelines and the cap going down next year he is going to have a hard time getting another sucker team to take some of hi$ big time $igning$.

JD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

it's sad when the only tough save the goalie has to make is one off of Halperns stick.

we had shots...most of them weren't quality OR were shot right into the goalies chest...didnt even have to fight it off.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
M0rbid

Quote:
Yes, he did. You really can't make this stuff up. It appears his time here is almost up.

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Dorado*

TortoRenney and Wade Richards can please go now . This season can't end soon enough and the one Clown canned and the out of shape bum bought out . These two are killing the rangers right now .
Let Richards sit in the press box and watch , heck I'd try Hagelin at center and call up a kid or an AHLer over this out of shape " Wine Collector"

Last edited by JeffMangum: 03-21-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star

Quote:
+1

I watched nearly every game during the dark years. I remember many times doing the math of what it would take to get to .500. This is my team, and I love hockey, and I'll always be watching. This loss stings all that much more because we were top in the East last season and have taken steps back. But the fact still remains we WERE top in the East last season, young talent is coming in, we have the King, etc. To be a hockey fan is to accept the ups as well as the downs. To succeed in sports you need a certain amount of luck and we've been unlucky this season with our chemistry and blue collar ethic gone MIA

messierjagrlundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post
Enough. How much of this is Tort's fault is debateable.

We traded away Chemistry for Rick Nash and an unwillingness to match some pricey contracts. I'm not saying they won't find Chemistry again but in a shortened season without a pre-season, that's gonne be tough on any coach. What team wouldn't suffer from losing Dubinsky, Prust, Fedetenko, Anisimov -- all competitors and guys who bought into the system -- and replacing them with a mixed bag.

Between loss of chemistry and Richards' losing his mojo, those are some tough breaks for ANY coach. Enough with the Torts hate.

How easily people forget how brilliant the system looked last season and how well coached the team looked.
The system never looked brilliant, they were just actually producing last year and getting some lucky bounces and calls. Gaborik scored 42 goals. Richards was actually playing well. Everyone was firing on all cylinders. The whole team played for each other and played to win every night. We expected them to come out flying. Are you really trying to argue that the team is playing to the same intensity of last season? I haven't watched a game in the last month past the first 10 minutes of the 1st because I don't care, because they don't care. It's like trying to hold a conversation with someone who doesn't give you very little attention or feedback, gives you short answers if any at all, and is just off in another world despite how energetic you may be. We're back to not knowing what Ranger team is going to show up on any given night.

NO ONE on this team is buying in to the system this year. Callahan is about it, because as the captain, he's trying to lead by example. The loss of some grinders should not have THIS MUCH of an impact on the rest of the team and their generally disinterested play night in, night out. We are 30 games in to a 48 game season, how much more time do they need to get "it" together and get their heads in the game? The only explanation I can even think to reach for at this point is they're actually, literally depressed over losing Dubi/Artie/Prust.

What were Prust and Fedotenko before they bought in to the system? Part of a mixed bag that we brought in. Prust was nothing much in Calgary until he came here. Fedotenko was always a solid player, but there was no guarantee of what would happen once he got here. They happened to work out nicely in their time here. Pyatt, Halpern, and whoever else have not worked out that well this season for the most part.

ck20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Yes, after the Buffalo game, I believe.
wait, and how did he not instantly get fired from that

03-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
So, the games where Nash was flying and doing a lot of good stuff, he was also out of condition?
Sorry if I really have trouble following your thought train.
What? No, he can fly for games where he's rested where conditioning is less of a factor. Tonight was the 3rd game in 4 nights and he was being double shifted for half the game because of the score. That is where conditioning comes into play, being able to still fly in the 3rd game in 4 nights and being double shifted. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

I love Nash so I'm not hating on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post
+1

I watched nearly every game during the dark years. I remember many times doing the math of what it would take to get to .500. This is my team, and I love hockey, and I'll always be watching. This loss stings all that much more because we were top in the East last season and have taken steps back. But the fact still remains we WERE top in the East last season, young talent is coming in, we have the King, etc. To be a hockey fan is to accept the ups as well as the downs. To succeed in sports you need a certain amount of luck and we've been unlucky this season with our chemistry and blue collar ethic gone MIA
Yup, the dark years were basically my formative years as a fan. I was 4 when they won the cup, so I barely remember that, basically just my dad being happy. When I started to become a hardcore fan, playing hockey myself and watching every single game and reading hockey books and every article (starting around 9 or so) that was about 99-00. So basically my formative years of becoming a diehard fan was when the Rangers sucked. I'll always love the Rangers no matter how good or bad they are. I won't shut the tv off until the game is over. I always have hope.

I agree with the luck factor. We're not getting many bounces (2 plays tonight with the puck loose behind Markstrom ) and it seems like the other teams are getting them against us. I'm hoping that the luck will turn, our boys can start scoring, feeling good and go on a tear here. If we can start to play well and fly into the playoffs, it could be better than flying early in the season and limping into the playoffs. I still have hope.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:03 PM
InHenrikWeTrust

Tortorella must think the net is somewhere along the boards...

Don't let the shots on net fool you. The net is just getting in the way of a nice bank shot back along the boards.

InHenrikWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:06 PM
ck20

Quote:
There was a quote from Torts on SNYRangersBlog saying that the issues with the team couldn't be fixed this season (I think it was back around the beginning of February). That's the type of mentality that's permeating throughout this team. With the group of players we have, scoring certainly should not be a main, glaring issue. That's not to say they should undoubtedly score 4+ goals a night, but the chances are scarce most nights and I don't see how we could be almost dead last in goals for with the talent we have to work with.

ck20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:07 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
What? No, he can fly for games where he's rested where conditioning is less of a factor. Tonight was the 3rd game in 4 nights and he was being double shifted for half the game because of the score. That is where conditioning comes into play, being able to still fly in the 3rd game in 4 nights and being double shifted. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

I love Nash so I'm not hating on him.
Thanks. I understand what you mean now. With this short season, I guess anything is possible, but I still don't really agree. Nash played over the summer, and I just don't see what makes Rangers players so susceptible to being out of shape, more than players on other teams.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by InHenrikWeTrust View Post
Tortorella must think the net is somewhere along the boards...

Don't let the shots on net fool you. The net is just getting in the way of a nice bank shot back along the boards.
Del Zotto thinks the net is over the glass... Oh wait...

Honestly, it's unreal that a coach doesn't practice offense.

03-21-2013, 11:09 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Del Zotto thinks the net is over the glass... Oh wait...

Honestly, it's unreal that a coach doesn't practice offense.
With this season, I refuse to call him a coach. He's a glorified motivational speaker.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote