HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers at Rangers

Old
03-21-2013, 11:10 PM
InHenrikWeTrust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Del Zotto thinks the net is over the glass... Oh wait...

Honestly, it's unreal that a coach doesn't practice offense.
LOL...maybe those soccer nets during practice don't raise scoring confidence after all.

InHenrikWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:14 PM
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
The system never looked brilliant, they were just actually producing last year and getting some lucky bounces and calls. Gaborik scored 42 goals. Richards was actually playing well. Everyone was firing on all cylinders. The whole team played for each other and played to win every night. We expected them to come out flying. Are you really trying to argue that the team is playing to the same intensity of last season? I haven't watched a game in the last month past the first 10 minutes of the 1st because I don't care, because they don't care. It's like trying to hold a conversation with someone who doesn't give you very little attention or feedback, gives you short answers if any at all, and is just off in another world despite how energetic you may be. We're back to not knowing what Ranger team is going to show up on any given night.

NO ONE on this team is buying in to the system this year. Callahan is about it, because as the captain, he's trying to lead by example. The loss of some grinders should not have THIS MUCH of an impact on the rest of the team and their generally disinterested play night in, night out. We are 30 games in to a 48 game season, how much more time do they need to get "it" together and get their heads in the game? The only explanation I can even think to reach for at this point is they're actually, literally depressed over losing Dubi/Artie/Prust.

What were Prust and Fedotenko before they bought in to the system? Part of a mixed bag that we brought in. Prust was nothing much in Calgary until he came here. Fedotenko was always a solid player, but there was no guarantee of what would happen once he got here. They happened to work out nicely in their time here. Pyatt, Halpern, and whoever else have not worked out that well this season for the most part.
Well I agree with everything you wrote, even though you think brilliant was too strong of a word.

Agreed that Prust and Fedotenko were part of a mixed bag when they came here. But for whatever lucky reason, they cared. The effort was there. Their replacements DON'T CARE. To me that's bad luck.

And that attitude is contagious.

messierjagrlundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
There was a quote from Torts on SNYRangersBlog saying that the issues with the team couldn't be fixed this season (I think it was back around the beginning of February). That's the type of mentality that's permeating throughout this team. With the group of players we have, scoring certainly should not be a main, glaring issue. That's not to say they should undoubtedly score 4+ goals a night, but the chances are scarce most nights and I don't see how we could be almost dead last in goals for with the talent we have to work with.
Our offensive talent is predicated on Richards and Gaborik being All-Star level players, which they certainly haven't shown this year. Part of that is also the misfits they are for whatever passes for a Torts offensive system.

I like Hagelin, Callahan, Stepan has really stepped up this year, and we have a future with Miller and Kreider. The rest of the team is offensive dead wood or worse. Bickel, Boyle, Asham, Pyatt, et al, belong in the AHL.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
What an awful night, I come home from a disgustingly bad Jets game and watch this.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Nash being paired with Brad is clearly not a good thing and I don't quite understand why it's not being corrected.

Adaptation. It's a thing

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather = Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Thanks. I understand what you mean now. With this short season, I guess anything is possible, but I still don't really agree. Nash played over the summer, and I just don't see what makes Rangers players so susceptible to being out of shape, more than players on other teams.
Idk I notice Nash laboring a lot. He does fly and most of the time make up for it with being a beast. I was just commenting that he looked to be laboring a bit tonight.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:25 PM
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Nash being paired with Brad is clearly not a good thing and I don't quite understand why it's not being corrected.

Adaptation. It's a thing
Well, I don't want Richards with Callahan and Hagelin. That's the kiss of death. That line will totally suck with Richards play. At least with the current iteration of Richards, pair him with Nash and Gaborik and maybe they can carry his play through their skill, especially with Gaborik picking up his play which I think he is doing, and maybe Richards does a skillful thing or two to contribute. Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan will/can be solid.

Miller and Kreider on a 3rd line is a big problem. Neither can play NHL ready D. It's nice that they can contribute some offense. But we're going to lose games with the goals they let in due to poor positioning and coverage.

This team has 99 problems and Richards is #1.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post
Well, I don't want Richards with Callahan and Hagelin. That's the kiss of death. That line will totally suck with Richards play. At least with the current iteration of Richards, pair him with Nash and Gaborik and maybe they can carry his play through their skill, especially with Gaborik picking up his play which I think he is doing, and maybe Richards does a skillful thing or two to contribute. Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan will/can be solid.

Miller and Kreider on a 3rd line is a big problem. Neither can play NHL ready D. It's nice that they can contribute some offense. But we're going to lose games with the goals they let in due to poor positioning and coverage.

This team has 99 problems and Richards is #1.
If Nash-Richards-Gab is going to stay together than the Rangers need a different offensive system. That line is not meant to grind along the boards below the hash marks.

Thats a freewheeling/Rushing line.

But since we:

a)play a collapsing zone D which hurts any type of quick strike transition because our wings play too shallow in our own end.

b)love stretch passing so we can't make a controlled play out of our zone

it doesn't seem like its going to happen....

I'm not going to say that line can't work. But its a line that can't work in this current system.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:37 PM
SA16
Two by two...

The a and b you mention are the two things that frustrate me the most. I've never seen a team just try stretch pass after stretch pass...and it's lot even an effective play

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:58 PM
theJUMPER

RE: Stretch passes.

I remember when the Rangers started winning after the shaky early start, that they had these set plays with long passes.

They seemed to have abandoned that in recent weeks (or month of march) in favor of the old 3 forwards cycling below the goal line. The only goal tonight was from a Nash pass from blueline to blueline. Gabby, Hags, Kreider.... This team has speed for a system that would use some ******* creativity.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:58 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
What an awful night, I come home from a disgustingly bad Jets game and watch this.

That Jets game was good.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:08 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post

I remember when the Rangers started winning after the shaky early start, that they had these set plays with long passes.

They seemed to have abandoned that in recent weeks (or month of march) in favor of the old 3 forwards cycling below the goal line. The only goal tonight was from a Nash pass from blueline to blueline. Gabby, Hags, Kreider.... This team has speed for a system that would use some ******* creativity.
Oh you mean that play when a defenseman launches a pass up the middle, Richards deflects it into the corner to nash who passes across to gaborik for a goal, that play that worked twice against the bruins that was too offensive and didn't have enough jam in it, goals/scoring chances came to easy. Why in the hell would we have set offensive plays when grinding out goals fits the system better. #tortslogic

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:40 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post

Are you talking about for example the Boston game, when Richie tapped it to Nash, for a Nash Gaborik 2-1 and then Gabby with that beauty of a goal?
If yeah, those passes worked once in maybe a handful of plays. Awesome if they did, but too risky.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:41 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
Oh you mean that play when a defenseman launches a pass up the middle, Richards deflects it into the corner to nash who passes across to gaborik for a goal, that play that worked twice against the bruins that was too offensive and didn't have enough jam in it, goals/scoring chances came to easy. Why in the hell would we have set offensive plays when grinding out goals fits the system better. #tortslogic
haha, damn did not read your post until now. similar minds

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:43 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
That Jets game was good.
Not if you just spent 4 grand on playoff tickets and hope to use them. Not that I'm expecting the Jets to go all 4 rounds, but it would be nice to at least use the first round of tickets! I'm just dreading them meeting the Rangers, that's going to suck so bad for me.

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Torts lost the room a long time ago.
Question is, is there a good replacement?

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:46 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Not if you just spent 4 grand on playoff tickets and hope to use them. Not that I'm expecting the Jets to go all 4 rounds, but it would be nice to at least use the first round of tickets! I'm just dreading them meeting the Rangers, that's going to suck so bad for me.
No it won't man, I'm sure you would enjoy seeing the Rangers swept and Tortorella the clown out coached. Hopefully then, the team would let Tortorella go walk his dogs on another team. I'm done with his systems and 0 offense.

5 4 Fighting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:48 AM
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/
""Also, I was a little surprised when I asked Callahan whether there was enough traffic to bother Jacob Markstrom, who made 44 saves as the Rangers took a season-high 45 shots, that the captain said yes. My opinion was Markstrom got too many looks at shots. The 6-foot-6, 23-year-old did swallow up a lot of shots without giving up a rebound but, in general, I didn’t think the Rangers made it tough on him at all.

Here’s the game story from The Record.

One post-game moment. As Callahan was addressing a horde of media members, Brad Richards stood by his neighboring locker. I went up to Richards along with another reporter, who asked Richards if he had a moment to speak. Richards replied that he didn’t have much to say as he began to leave the dressing room. I asked if that was because he was angry. “More confused and lost,” Richards said. He could have been talking about the Rangers in general, or he could have been talking about himself."
x

...........OK so Callahan's in denial and Richards needs Zoloft (after underconditioning during the lockout) *sigh*

Old
03-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Affinity

I am so ready for Torts to be gone. His system is just dreadful to watch without the personnel we had last year. Change it up, man.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Meh. To be honest, I'm not that upset. Rangers didn't actually play that poorly, and we know there's more to them than this.

I'm not worried.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:11 AM
TigerJack

Nice to see Jack Skille again.... Played for 9th seed Rosenborg Hockey Club (out of 10 teams in league) in Norwegian get league during the lockout

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Meh. To be honest, I'm not that upset. Rangers didn't actually play that poorly, and we know there's more to them than this.

I'm not worried.
Sure, we still haven't completely hit rock bottom yet...

I think of the Rangers really work at it, they can be far worse than they were tonight..

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:14 AM
azaloum90

I paid $150 for tickets to this damn game...

At least they scored, but there is literally no offense... they're going to can torts at the end of the season I feel... can't take much more of this...

I also think k pulling krieder up was a mistake... Haley was just getting comfortable and kreider needs the minutes on the whale... when given the chance kreider can actually score... with this defensive cycling system, they simply cannot use the tools they have.

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Though I have to say, blaming Torts for every single loss got old and tired a long time ago. Whether he juggles the lines, or refuses to change them, no matter what a very vocal section of the fanbase will continue to blame him for the team's every woe.

We dominated attack zone time and put up 45 shots. Team just couldn't finish.

Move on to the next one.

And all the idiotic sarcastic "Jam" posts are just spam at this point. We get it. You don't like a word that the coach uses. Really well developed argument you got there!

Last edited by Callagraves: 03-22-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:04 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post
I'll volunteer to drive Gaborik and Richards to the airport. Just please, trade them. PLEASE! PLEASE!!!!!
I know about Gaborik and his shortcomings, but the feelings are similar for Richards as well?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote