HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Buying a DSLR

Old
03-21-2013, 12:14 AM
JwKo18

vCash: 500
Buying a DSLR

So I'm interested in buying a DSLR camera, but I don't really know anything about them, and have no idea where to start. I'll continue my research over the internet, but I want other opinions to try and and find a camera suitable for me. Somethings I wonder are: is Nikon better than Canon? What are specs I should take care to note and should look for and just general info! To be honest, I just want to take some nice looking pictures, so obviously I must spend about a grand to do this.

JwKo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

User Lonny Bohonos knows a lot about cameras

Should consult his knowledge

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 07:09 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Canon and Nikkon are the two best ones. At that point it just depends on which lenses you like better.

I have a Cannon, but some people have Nikkons.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:42 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
I have a Canon myself, but you can't really go wrong with a Nikon. I see more professionals using a Nikon though. Based on your needs and price range, you might want to check out the Canon t4i (or t3i.. older model so cheaper, but there isn't much of a difference)

http://cameras.about.com/od/buyinggu...ying-Guide.htm

DJyellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest a Pentax. Better bang-for-the-buck, and is compatible with virtually all of Pentax's lenses since time immemorial.

Been rocking a K-7 since 2010, and have absolutely no regrets.

Slot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:11 PM
PyrettaBlaze

I have a Nikon D5100 and I love it. Great entry level DSLR. IMO, don't get anything too fancy since it'll be a pretty steep learning curve for you considering you don't know anything about them yet.

03-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Canon. No question in my mind.

T3i is a great camera.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:47 PM
JwKo18

I'm liking the feedback people! Can you guys give a little more explanation as to why you chose what camera you did? And maybe even post some pictures that you've taken? I'm just wondering is picture quality really going to change that much with price? and if so how drastic is it?

Old
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwKo18 View Post
I'm liking the feedback people! Can you guys give a little more explanation as to why you chose what camera you did? And maybe even post some pictures that you've taken? I'm just wondering is picture quality really going to change that much with price? and if so how drastic is it?
These were taken with a T3i in one of the worst lit pubs I've seen.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:17 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
No, it will not. Knowing how to properly use a camera is what's most important.

Nikon D5100 and Canon T3i are the cameras you should be looking at.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D5100

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011...-vs-canon-t3i/

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 03-21-2013 at 11:32 PM.
PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:04 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Just about any DSLR can take good pictures. It's the person pressing the shutter release that makes the difference. Obviously some more expensive gear can improve picture quality but they won't help you be in the right place to get the shot or help with your technique.

I would suggest what the others have, T3i or D5100. If your friends or family have lenses from either Canon or Nikon that you could borrow you might lean towards that brand. They have different features as well so look those up if you have any specific requirements in mind. Go to an electronics store and go hold each camera if you can. You will be holding it a lot so it better be comfy in your hands.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
No, it will not. Knowing how to properly use a camera is what's most important.

Nikon D5100 and Canon T3i are the cameras you should be looking at.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D5100

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011...-vs-canon-t3i/

Yeah, the image quality isn't going to change much for nearly any entry level camera that came out around the same time.

The image quality is only going to improve as you buy better lenses, which are more expensive than the camera itself.

Can't go wrong with either camera discussed above. I went with the Canon because of the what the guy said above. My best buddy has owned Canon's forever, so I can use his expensive lenses if I want. I previously had a Olympus E-520 which was a pretty solid camera as well, but it's older now. And before that, I had a Pentax, which I didn't really like.

I also recommend a battery pack for whatever camera you buy. It just makes the camera feel much nicer in your hands.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Krnuckfan

Some people might tell you different, but at the entry level range there are many good options: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony and to say any brand >>> others is just bs. Nikon and Canon are the most popular brands by far but they're not necessarily better.

The biggest advantage of canon/nikon are their wide lens selections with a big used market and potential to borrow lenses from friends. However, most people who buy DSLRs just stick to the one lens that came with the camera in the box so this is a non-issue in most cases.

You should narrow down your list of potential candidates to a few choices and go to a store and try them out and see how it feels in the hand and make your decision.

Also, you might want to look into some mirrorless cameras. As a casual user, you won't have any gripes about image quality compared to DSLR, and it's lighter as well. I suggest you look at the Olympus EP series, Sony NEX series, and the Panasonic GF series.

If you want some good camera reviews, dpreviews.com is pretty good although it can get a bit too techy and complicated. Also, photoprice.ca is good for browsing prices.

Krnuckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:55 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
Some people might tell you different, but at the entry level range there are many good options: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony and to say any brand >>> others is just bs. Nikon and Canon are the most popular brands by far but they're not necessarily better.

The biggest advantage of canon/nikon are their wide lens selections with a big used market and potential to borrow lenses from friends. However, most people who buy DSLRs just stick to the one lens that came with the camera in the box so this is a non-issue in most cases.

You should narrow down your list of potential candidates to a few choices and go to a store and try them out and see how it feels in the hand and make your decision.

Also, you might want to look into some mirrorless cameras. As a casual user, you won't have any gripes about image quality compared to DSLR, and it's lighter as well. I suggest you look at the Olympus EP series, Sony NEX series, and the Panasonic GF series.

If you want some good camera reviews, dpreviews.com is pretty good although it can get a bit too techy and complicated. Also, photoprice.ca is good for browsing prices.
The camera's themselves are a minor part (a cheap part actually) ... the lenses is where it gets expensive and where you find out what you want.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Agree with T3i or D5100. Both are great cameras for the price. The stock lenses are OK to learn on and will take pretty good pictures in most scenarios, but will suffer a bit in indoor/low light situations.

Once you get comfortable with the equipment you can upgrade your lenses. Could start with a 1.4 or 1.8 prime lense or maybe something with more zooming capabilties. Really depends what you are going for.

If you really enjoy it then upgrade the body down the road and you could even still use all your lenses depending on what you buy.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:34 AM
guinness
those were the days

Nikon has better sensors ATM IMO, Canon has been using the same 18 MP sensor for generations (3-4 years by now), even their newly announced SLR's (T5i and SL1) use the same sensor that the 7D used in 2009.

MP really aren't that important, but SLR's are a lot like computers - the electronics improves (faster AF, more points, higher ISO capability), and it really shows in low light.

Personally, I would go with Nikon at this point, probably the D5100, or if money permitted, the D7100, or one of the Sony NEX cameras, like the 6 or 7, as those have great sensors and fast AF and burst modes (good for fast action).

I shoot with Pentax, and they're good for things like weather sealing, bigger VF's, and if you like using primes (and can afford their Limiteds). The K5 and K30 are probably two of the nicer cameras at their price bracket, but there just aren't the number of AF lenses available for K mount as there are for C&N. Glass will end up being the most expensive aspect once you outgrow the kit lens, and it gets to be an expensive habit.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
JwKo18

What are your opinions on buying used versus new? And should I be worried with buying a new lense with my camera, or just experiment with the stock lense I get with the camera first?

Old
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
What are your opinions on buying used versus new? And should I be worried with buying a new lense with my camera, or just experiment with the stock lense I get with the camera first?
I wouldn't buy used unless its a really good deal.

As for lenses, my opinion is to find a package. Usually you can get a package deal for a couple hundred more, that will usually include an extra lens. Sometimes even a bag and memory card.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:45 PM
guinness
those were the days

Buying used lenses shouldn't be a problem though, most of mine I bought used, save for my wide angle, and the kit lenses, eBay is a bit of a crapshoot though, but I've had excellent experiences with KEH.com.

My K20D was a refurb from Pentax, and it looked brand new, saved me a bunch of money.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
I would stick with a kit lens to start. The 18-55mm is a good lens to start with unless you have a specific use in mind. It wouldn't be very good for, example, sports. It is a good, versatile lens to start with though.

If you're happy with the basic lens I would try to find something on Craigslist maybe. A ton of people buy the starter DSLR kits (T3i, T4i, D5100, etc) and either lose interest or upgrade. There's always a ton of mint condition T3i's on my local CL listings. I even found my 7D body and 70-200mm F/2.8 IS II lens on Craigslist. Got there and they were in mint condition and I saved about $800.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Puck
Ninja

I'll go against the grain and suggest you get a good point & shoot camera first. They are lighter than heavier DSLRs and you will prolly take it out and use it more in different occasions. You will learn about photography and make a more informed choice later on DSLRs when you are ready. Later, once you are ready, get the DSLR and you can still keep the P&S camera for different occasions.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
So I'm interested in buying a DSLR camera, but I don't really know anything about them, and have no idea where to start. I'll continue my research over the internet, but I want other opinions to try and and find a camera suitable for me. Somethings I wonder are: is Nikon better than Canon? What are specs I should take care to note and should look for and just general info! To be honest, I just want to take some nice looking pictures, so obviously I must spend about a grand to do this.
http://www.dpreview.com/
digital photography review is a great source and has a great forum with sections for both Canon and Nikon information and user reviews.

I personally had used canon DSLRs for quite a while. xt, xsi, 40d, 50d and 5d with the lenses 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm kit, 70-200 4L , 17-40 4L and 24-105 4L.

Unfortunatly I had to sell all my canon equipment in order to afford some much needed renovations for my house.

I have currently switched to Nikon and I am using a D90 w/ 50mm 1.8 and nikons 18-105mm lens.

I have just returned from the Banff/Canmore area and have to say I miss my 17-40mm 4L for landscape photography

The nikon and lenses I purchased are great for the casual photographer. I opted to go with the d90 as it has a few more external controls for those who are used to creating their own photos and not using the standard settings located on the dial.

All in all. I believe (so far) that Canon has the superior lenses ( the L catagory and nifty 50s) but for some reason I enjoy the d90s feel and performance. I shot some great snowboarding action shots flawlessly this past week with it and the 18-105 (slower lens) and I liked the results. The landscape/mountain photos just didnt pop like they did with my 17-40 4L lens but I guess that is what photoshop is for

I am rambling now but If you enjoy photography and would like to make it a serious hobby I would suggest paying the extra money and investing in a good camera body like the 60d or d7000 (or is it the d7100?) that gives you more external controls to manipulate instead of pushing through on screen menus which kills time. It also allows you to grow your skill with a better camera. JMO.

http://www.adorama.com/
I bought my d90 kit refurbished (when I got it, I couldnt tell as it looked and functioned brand new) for a low price. Hunt for deals as dslrs value depreciates greatly every year as there is a new model almost every quarter it seems.

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Carl Carlson

I have a Nikon and it's been really good. If you can find a package that includes a lens or two you'll be set for awhile.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

+1 for Pentax.

I think it's one of the better value DSLRs available, and the flexibility with the lenses is great.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
JwKo18

So i recently visited my local camera shop, and one pawn shop, and one of the clerks talked about how a progression for Nikon cameras I should be interested in would be D7100>D5100>D90. I know there are other models in there somewhere for sure, and I also like the idea of buying a good camera now seeing as I think this is something I really want to pursue. I don't want to buy a new camera body for a while, and it honestly sounds so much fun I think the D7100 might be worth it. I also feel like I'm starting to lean towards Nikon now seeing as a couple of my friend's own Nikon's and Canon hasn't really come up in conversation with clerks or have been in stock at stores.

As well, can anyone help me with specifications I need to know? I've done a bit of research on aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. And by mean little, I mean just understanding basic effects of their usage. I've also looked into deals on kijiji in my area and found a couple of bodies for sale already.