HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 03:32 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Can you go thru draft history to find a team that gave up what you suggest to move up say 10 spots?? I don't think anyone gives up that much and especially in this years draft when there seems to be some much equal talent in the top 2 rounds. I would rather have the 4 picks than 1 higher 1st rounder. The team has started to fill out depth in the system which will be good for many years down the road.
I understand that and completely agree that we could see a guy go at 60 who's gonna end up being just as good as a guy at 4th. But not at third....seth jones, nathan mackinnon, and especially....especially drouin are imo an elite group of A+, All star game award winning, top of the game players.....so while i would not do anything crazy to get into the top ten, i would for the top 3....i just think that highly of those 3, and when i say those 3 i mean drouin....if i had the first overall pick it would be him...no hesitation, no doubts, and in all likelyhood no regrets whatsoever.....i am dreaming of drouin.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:58 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Pull what the islanders did last year and offer all our picks for a top 3 pick.
It didn't even work and they had the #4 for the #2. Even with all our picks, I doubt we move in the top 10. Oh well, maybe Bergevin will pull something at the draft day, but it sucks to not have a top 10 pick in such a great draft.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Can you go thru draft history to find a team that gave up what you suggest to move up say 10 spots?? I don't think anyone gives up that much and especially in this years draft when there seems to be some much equal talent in the top 2 rounds. I would rather have the 4 picks than 1 higher 1st rounder. The team has started to fill out depth in the system which will be good for many years down the road.
Like I say I might consider it but doubtful and it's probably likely the team that has the pick feels that's not enough.

Last edited by S Bah: 03-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
LeHabsMan

Lets say Montreal has the 25th pick and Nichushkin drops out of the top 10, I wouldnt hesitate to trade up to take him.

Very good player. It would be a silmilar situation to Tarasenko. Johansen, Connolly, Burmistrov, McIlrath and Campbell were all considered SAFER picks but whos laughing now?

Old
03-20-2013, 06:40 PM
MaxLacoste

I believe it's the kind of draft that you're better to throw more lines than just throw one for the big fish. It's like in 2003. When you take the potential ceiling and floor of every player between 10 and 45, players can all end up at the same place. A lot of pick will be boom or bust, but you can get lucky. And with more pick, you have more chance to get lucky.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:01 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Lets say Montreal has the 25th pick and Nichushkin drops out of the top 10, I wouldnt hesitate to trade up to take him.

Very good player. It would be a silmilar situation to Tarasenko. Johansen, Connolly, Burmistrov, McIlrath and Campbell were all considered SAFER picks but whos laughing now?
Thanks for quoting my post from a couple of weeks ago,sincere flattery is always best.May I add that if they do draft Nicushkin,the Habs should try and get Vyacheslav Osnovin his Center from Chelyabinsk 2 as well.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
I believe it's the kind of draft that you're better to throw more lines than just throw one for the big fish. It's like in 2003. When you take the potential ceiling and floor of every player between 10 and 45, players can all end up at the same place. A lot of pick will be boom or bust, but you can get lucky. And with more pick, you have more chance to get lucky.
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I see this draft with a very solid top15 and then a considerable drop of talent. I see pick from 16 to 3rd round almost as the same. There is depth of course but the top 15 are potential star in the making.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:28 PM
JHabs61

Any news on Arturri Lehkonen? And any chance he'll end up a Hab?

Old
03-20-2013, 10:36 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I see this draft with a very solid top15 and then a considerable drop of talent. I see pick from 16 to 3rd round almost as the same. There is depth of course but the top 15 are potential star in the making.
I believe that if pick from 16 to 3rd round look almost as the same, it's more because this draft is strong than because the pick 15-30 are weak. I understand that there is a lot of star potential in top15. But I don't see why teams who just got out of a half season would trade their pick if they can get a futur star player. We already have 3 star players (Price, Subban, Galchenyuk) and those three players should be the core of our team, just like Toews, Kane and Keith are the core of Chicago. Around we add to that top talent like Pacioretty, Plekanek, Markov, etc. and we manage the cap with prospects coming from the draft. Look at Chicago. They won a cup 3 years ago and they are now back at cup contention with a lot of new players and prospects. But with the same core. Having 6 pick in the first 3 round will help get the depth we need to become a contender for years to come.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:35 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
At the same time, Timmins might suggest the play needed for Montreal is in a pick they need to trade for. That's how he got Tinordi.
It could happen, anyways, I have full confidence in our head scout

Old
03-21-2013, 03:36 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think the steal of the draft can be Nichushkin. 6'4", 200 lbs centre with All World skill. I know there's the "Russian" factor and he didn't come play in NA, but this is a guy who if he drops, I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to get him. Even if we did have to wait 3 or 4 years for him to come over like Tarasenko etc, he might still be worth it. Maybe guys like Galchenyuk, Markov, Emelin can help convince him to come over sooner. Who knows.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...ri-nichushkin/
If he's there at #25, I have no problem drafting him, but again, I doubt he lasts that long. His package is too interesting.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:19 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
If he's there at #25, I have no problem drafting him, but again, I doubt he lasts that long. His package is too interesting.
Quote:
The one big drawback in taking a player from Chelyabinsk is it's Evgeni Kuznetsov's hometown.That may be the "Russian Factor" GM's are worried about,it seems to me they are a very patriotic city.Kuznetsov is loved and adored there like an idol,some of it could be sympathy for his brother who passed away three years ago,who knows.Still maybe a risky pick,but that's what interviews are for. Look at Emelin he just wanted to play in the best league,not the AHL,that's a confidence issue more than anything else.IMO

Old
03-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHabs61 View Post
Any news on Arturri Lehkonen? And any chance he'll end up a Hab?
Projected early second I believe, there's a good chance he will be around for Calgary and Nashville's 2nds. I know people here would groan about picking another small player but we could use another skilled left winger. His numbers are pretty good in SM-liiga and while he needs work physically he's not soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The one big drawback in taking a player from Chelyabinsk is it's Evgeni Kuznetsov's hometown.That may be the "Russian Factor" GM's are worried about,it seems to me they are a very patriotic city.Kuznetsov is loved and adored there like an idol,some of it could be sympathy for his brother who passed away three years ago,who knows.Still maybe a risky pick,but that's what interviews are for. Look at Emelin he just wanted to play in the best league,not the AHL,that's a confidence issue more than anything else.IMO
It's not fair to judge a player based on their hometown, of course the research should be done to see if Nichushkin has any interest in playing in North America, but we should have enough contacts in Russia to figure that one out. Kuznetsov is happy getting paid to stay at home, but as far as I know he doesn't represent everyone from Chelyabinsk.

Gonchar, Voynov, former goon Nazarov and other NHLers all come from there.

Last edited by Et le But: 03-21-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
Two 2nds for 9 spots would be very low valuation. More Likely it would be a 2nd and 3rd for that kind of move and then it might give us a shot at Domi, Wennberg or Erne and definitely Zykov.
In 2010 we gave up a second rounder to move up five spots, and get an extra fourth rounder in the process. There were some other shenanigans involved as well, but essentially that's what it came down.

The Phoenix Coyotes' first-round pick (22nd overall) went to the Montreal Canadiens as the result of a trade on June 25, 2010 that sent Montreal's first and second-round picks both in 2010 (27th and 57th overall) to Phoenix in exchange for Buffalo's fourth-round pick in 2009 (113th overall) and this pick

In 2006 we picked up an extra 2nd rounder just by dropping four spots.

The Montreal Canadiens traded the 16th pick (Ty Wishart) to the San Jose Sharks for the 20th pick (David Fischer) and the 53rd pick (Mathieu Carle).

Other teams made similar type moves, almost always in the mid-to-late teens/early 20s. So the "value" to move up four or five spots in the middle of the first round seems to be a second rounder. I haven't seen any deals in my very limited research that would suggest anybody could get into the top ten without involving some type of top player.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
In 2010 we gave up a second rounder to move up five spots, and get an extra fourth rounder in the process. There were some other shenanigans involved as well, but essentially that's what it came down.

The Phoenix Coyotes' first-round pick (22nd overall) went to the Montreal Canadiens as the result of a trade on June 25, 2010 that sent Montreal's first and second-round picks both in 2010 (27th and 57th overall) to Phoenix in exchange for Buffalo's fourth-round pick in 2009 (113th overall) and this pick

In 2006 we picked up an extra 2nd rounder just by dropping four spots.

The Montreal Canadiens traded the 16th pick (Ty Wishart) to the San Jose Sharks for the 20th pick (David Fischer) and the 53rd pick (Mathieu Carle).

Other teams made similar type moves, almost always in the mid-to-late teens/early 20s. So the "value" to move up four or five spots in the middle of the first round seems to be a second rounder. I haven't seen any deals in my very limited research that would suggest anybody could get into the top ten without involving some type of top player.
yah...but ur first and 2 2nds will probabley get you up 8-10 spots and then you toss in a pretty good prospect like beulieu and who knows where it takes you... also the 2nd rounders we'd be offering to put up would be close to 1st rounders, or atleast calgary's will, got my fingers crossed on nashvilles, so perhaps that gives you an even bigger boost....maybe each pick gets you 6 or 7 spots....maybe we move up 12-14 spots.....or another idea.....perhaps we drop our 1st and nashvilles to move up a bit, and then we move that 1st and calgary's pick....and then we move that first and a prospect for the 3rd....alot of movement and it would take cahoona's and quite a gm to pull off such a move...but theoretically all of those moves look like the norm for an nhl draft....the highest pick we've seen dealt at the draft in resent memory was the 8th to pitt last year....but that was along with sutter and it was staal goin back so its kinda hard to really figure it out

Old
03-21-2013, 04:57 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Thanks for quoting my post from a couple of weeks ago,sincere flattery is always best.May I add that if they do draft Nicushkin,the Habs should try and get Vyacheslav Osnovin his Center from Chelyabinsk 2 as well.
I honestly didnt even see your post but at least we are o the same page.

I havent seen anything on Osnovin, maybe a video?

Old
03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
yah...but ur first and 2 2nds will probabley get you up 8-10 spots and then you toss in a pretty good prospect like beulieu and who knows where it takes you... also the 2nd rounders we'd be offering to put up would be close to 1st rounders, or atleast calgary's will, got my fingers crossed on nashvilles, so perhaps that gives you an even bigger boost....maybe each pick gets you 6 or 7 spots....maybe we move up 12-14 spots.....or another idea.....perhaps we drop our 1st and nashvilles to move up a bit, and then we move that 1st and calgary's pick....and then we move that first and a prospect for the 3rd....alot of movement and it would take cahoona's and quite a gm to pull off such a move...but theoretically all of those moves look like the norm for an nhl draft....the highest pick we've seen dealt at the draft in resent memory was the 8th to pitt last year....but that was along with sutter and it was staal goin back so its kinda hard to really figure it out
You need to stop dreaming....... I would much rather draft 4 players in the first 2 rounds that all could have a chance being as good as the one player you trade all those picks and prospects for...depth is key then you can start trading players for picks to keep the cycle going but right now the Habs depth could use some help

Old
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I hope the Habs take a flyer on Patrik Bartosak. I know WTK was high on him last year but he went undrafter because of an injury. He had really nice year, I think he was named best goalie of one of the conference in the WHL.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:21 PM
S Bah

Quote:
You need to stop dreaming....... I would much rather draft 4 players in the first 2 rounds that all could have a chance being as good as the one player you trade all those picks and prospects for...depth is key then you can start trading players for picks to keep the cycle going but right now the Habs depth could use some help
Those four picks could land the Habs these players;JT Compher C 1st rd. pick then the Calg.2nd Morgan Klimchuk C/LW then Nash.2nd J.Diaby Def. and the Habs 2nd Laurent Dauphin C or William Carrier C/LW.Lefebrve in Hamilton would be smiling ear to ear at these prospects.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Habs had Timmins-Boisvert-Brisebois-Lapointe at the Armada-Titan game.

They must have been scouting Marc-Olivier Roy...

Old
03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Habs had Timmins-Boisvert-Brisebois-Lapointe at the Armada-Titan game.

They must have been scouting Marc-Olivier Roy...
And Marcoux

Old
03-21-2013, 10:09 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
A valid point....but I just feel like we can have both.....timmins track record speaks for itself......but whatever happens I promise you a day will come and we will look back on this draft and wonder... was there any way we could have been the team to get him and why....why did we not.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
A valid point....but I just feel like we can have both.....timmins track record speaks for itself......but whatever happens I promise you a day will come and we will look back on this draft and wonder... was there any way we could have been the team to get him and why....why did we not.
It takes two to tango so just cause you want someone doesn't mean the other team will just give you the pick you want. I think the NYI offered all their picks to Columbus to move from 4 to 2nd and got turned down......

Old
03-21-2013, 10:57 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
And Marcoux
Clapperton IMO, and he had a good game, wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with the Habs.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Et le But

Quote:
You do realize how difficult it is to trade from the 20s to the top 3, right? You can dream of Drouin all you want, but that's going to take something like Subban, Eller, Tinordi and half our picks.

You can play this game every year. Just imagine where we'd be if we somehow traded up for Tavares. And Drouin is no Tavares.

Closed Thread