HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian, the Bold and Beautiful

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Accusing other people of being fanboys when you are the one cherry picking stats to make Eller look bad because people have the audacity to say he should be ahead of Prust when it comes to offensive playing time.

Neither Eller or Desharnais had a particularly good game regardless of whatever secondary assists were given. Both played their part in the win though.

Markov was first star to me.
DD's assist was primary on the GWG. .. even then, he was only good in the 3rd. Very mediocre in the 1st and horrible in the 2nd. Eller wasn't great tonight, but he was never bad either.

Markov was fantastic.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
DD's assist was primary on the GWG. .. even then, he was only good in the 3rd. Very mediocre in the 1st and horrible in the 2nd. Eller wasn't great tonight, but he was never bad either.

Markov was fantastic.
Both Eller and DD were neither very good or bad. Desharnais was good and bad but was only really noticable a few times in the 3rd with some nice plays, Eller was solid defensively and as good at protecting the puck as always but did nothing of note offensively. Of all the games to use to attack either of them, this isn't it.

Really, the only two players who didn't redeem whatever mistakes they might have made were Boullion and Gorges. And even then both were good enough in the 3rd.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:43 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Diaz's situation is worrying. Guy isn't even skating and it's been a while now. He was quietly establishing himself as a real good top 4 guy... hope he comes back in time for the playoffs and doesn't miss a beat.
Especially when the incident that concussed him looked like a simple fall that happens everytime.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Eller didnt get a point and sucked on the faceoffs. The fanboys are quiet.

It sucks when you have Ryder and Gionta scoring goals and Desharnais pumping in 2 assists.

Points....the only thing that matter in hockey?!?

But are you aware that Eller got more than 18 minutes of play
More ice-time than Plek (17) and DD (13).
And Eller played big part of the night against Tavares.

Most used forward on the PK is Eller with 3m32.....
Islanders are 0 in 4 tonight... You know the big PP with Tavares and Moulson
BIG THANKS TO LARS ELLER.,,,,,AND PRICE, of course

Everybody kind of play well tonight....at least half the game

Old
03-21-2013, 10:47 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Accusing other people of being fanboys when you are the one cherry picking stats to make Eller look bad because people have the audacity to say he should be ahead of Prust when it comes to offensive playing time.

Neither Eller or Desharnais had a particularly good game regardless of whatever secondary assists were given. Both played their part in the win though.

Prust is a third liner. Prust has always been a third liner in Montreal. Prust has helped Galchenyuk develop into an NHL player which helps the TEAM.

I wasnt cherry picking stats to bring Eller down. No, I was providing stats to show that Prust is not as bad as some people now want to portray.

But ever since Prust was injured, there is a growing contingent of posters here who suddenly want to demote Prust to the 4th line. That line of thinking is asinine.

The difference is not me wanting to have Prust on the third line to somehow improve his stats or his ice time or anything else I read about from the fanboys. No, his hardnosed play has helped the Canadiens play better as a team. One of those intangibles that a lot of people cannot grasp regarding what Prust brings to the team.

Lighten up a bit. I want Prust to play with Eller and Galchenyuk. That is a third line that is as good as any other in the NHL because of their defense and potential for offense.

Sorry that Eller had an off night.......

Old
03-21-2013, 10:55 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Points....the only thing that matter in hockey?!?

But are you aware that Eller got more than 18 minutes of play
More ice-time than Plek (17) and DD (13).
And Eller played big part of the night against Tavares.

Most used forward on the PK is Eller with 3m32.....
Islanders are 0 in 4 tonight... You know the big PP with Tavares and Moulson
BIG THANKS TO LARS ELLER.,,,,,AND PRICE, of course

Everybody kind of play well tonight....at least half the game
Did you notice the . That means "sarcasm".

It was in reply to the person who noted that this was an unusually quiet PGT. And I quipped sarcastically that it might be because Eller did not have any points.

Was I right?

Eller did what he is supposed to do. Play strong defense and that is why he is so valuable to the Canadiens and why the Habs continue to find ways to win games.

Who gives a rats ass how many minutes he got in comparison to the other centers.

It was the Montreal Canadiens vs the New York Islanders.................and not Lars Eller vs Plecanec and Desharnais.

Again, your post is indicative of why fanboys are irritating on this board.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Prust is a third liner. Prust has always been a third liner in Montreal. Prust has helped Galchenyuk develop into an NHL player which helps the TEAM.

I wasnt cherry picking stats to bring Eller down. No, I was providing stats to show that Prust is not as bad as some people now want to portray.

But ever since Prust was injured, there is a growing contingent of posters here who suddenly want to demote Prust to the 4th line. That line of thinking is asinine.

The difference is not me wanting to have Prust on the third line to somehow improve his stats or his ice time or anything else I read about from the fanboys. No, his hardnosed play has helped the Canadiens play better as a team. One of those intangibles that a lot of people cannot grasp regarding what Prust brings to the team.

Lighten up a bit. I want Prust to play with Eller and Galchenyuk. That is a third line that is as good as any other in the NHL because of their defense and potential for offense.

Sorry that Eller had an off night.......
What would your lineup be when Bourque and Prust are healthy?

gonna put the habs captain on the fourth line? Going to put the habs second leading scorer? Going to put one of the two offensive power forwards on the team on the fourth line?

Putting prust on the 4th line has nothing to do or reflect with his contributions to this team, but rather the role he fills. Ryder, Gio, Bourque, Galchenyuk or whoever else does not belong on the 4th line. It will be prust who is sent there cause he can play that role to perfection.

A fourth line of Prust Dumont Armstrong/White can go up against any line 5 on 5 and compete. It will be valuable. Not to mention Prust can play on any line at any given time in the game if policing is needed.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Kinda cool fact, Habs top 6 scorers all drafted by the Habs. If you consider DD like a draft pick, then it's top 7 scorers.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:11 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post

A fourth line of Bourque Dumont Armstrong/White can go up against any line 5 on 5 and compete. It will be valuable. Not to mention Bourque can play on any line at any given time in the game if getting punched out is needed.

See what I did there?

You think that Prust is expendable and sent down to the 4th line.

I think that Bourque is expendable and sent down to the 4th line.

Bourque has one more point than Prust. Bourque will not create space for Galchenyuk like Prust does. Prust Eller and Galchenyuk is an excellent shut down line as Eller showed his defensive skills tonight. Bourque has nowhere near the defensive talent that Prust has.

And Bourque is not as offensively minded as Ryder, as witnessed by that sweet wrister tonight. And you do not send down the Captain who scored a goal tonight.

Anyone who would break up DD, Patches and Gallagher would be insane.

Its Bourque.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
See what I did there?

Bourque has one more point than Prust. Bourque will not create space for Galchenyuk like Prust does. Prust Eller and Galchenyuk is an excellent shut down line as Eller showed his defensive skills tonight. Bourque has nowhere near the defensive talent that Prust has.

And Bourque is not as offensively minded as Ryder, as witnessed by that sweet wrister tonight. And you do not send down the Captain who scored a goal tonight.

Its Bourque.
There you go. I disagree... respectfully of course. I love prust on basically any line the habs have. I think Gally and Eller will produce more offense with Bourque (he's played 8 less games than prust so the points comparison is basically moot).

And I still think Prusts' presence will be felt playing on the 4th line, and being shifted to other lines (already played with eller and gally, as well as Pleks and gio... so no worries about chemistry) every now and then to police

Old
03-21-2013, 11:17 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Don't know why people want Talbot. Dumont is a carbon copy and cheaper.
Maybe an AHL version of Talbot.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
See what I did there?

Its Bourque.
I'm too tired and maybe this is sarcasm.. but commenting on points is crazy. Bourque is on pace for a 49-point season, Prust for a 30-point season.

To be honest, I see Galcheyuk demoted to the 4th line. Something like;
Moen-Galchenyuk-Armstrong

Me personally? I'm not sure, but it would be either;

Galchenyuk - Dumont - Armstrong
Prust - Dumont - Armstrong

I'd put Gionta with Eller, Bourque back up with Plekanec.

Ryder - Plekanec - Bourque
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk/Prust - Eller - Gionta
Galchenyuk/Prust - Dumont - Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Kinda cool fact, Habs top 6 scorers all drafted by the Habs. If you consider DD like a draft pick, then it's top 7 scorers.
The only player in the Top-11 (drafted 8, 2 were given their chances by MTL (Desharnais & Diaz) scoring for MTL that isn't homegrown is Gionta.

EDIT: Whoops, two players. Eller wasn't homegrown, I always forget because I wanted him so bad in the draft over McDonagh.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:23 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
There you go. I disagree... respectfully of course. I love prust on basically any line the habs have. I think Gally and Eller will produce more offense with Bourque (he's played 8 less games than prust so the points comparison is basically moot).

And I still think Prusts' presence will be felt playing on the 4th line, and being shifted to other lines (already played with eller and gally, as well as Pleks and gio... so no worries about chemistry) every now and then to police
No problems on the disagreement.

Its a good problem to have. But it really should not be a problem. Prust has done nothing while being injured that should require him to move down to the 4th line.

Bourque is a streaky player by nature. Prust is 100% all of the time. Coach Therrien will make that decision as to what is best. If its not broken, why try to fix it?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Andros777

That Desharnais pass on Gionta's goal was amazing.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:26 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:

gonna put the habs captain on the fourth line? Going to put the habs second leading scorer? Going to put one of the two offensive power forwards on the team on the fourth line?

Putting prust on the 4th line has nothing to do or reflect with his contributions to this team, but rather the role he fills. Ryder, Gio, Bourque, Galchenyuk or whoever else does not belong on the 4th line. It will be prust who is sent there cause he can play that role to perfection.

A fourth line of Prust Dumont Armstrong/White can go up against any line 5 on 5 and compete. It will be valuable. Not to mention Prust can play on any line at any given time in the game if policing is needed.
I have no idea what MT will do when we have a healthy group of forwards but I think Prust will indeed be placed on the "fourth" line. I think it is a good problem having this much depth on the team. As a result of this depth, we have not missed a beat and are still winning games, like tonight. Came out flying in the third and won our 20th of the season. It took us until the 53rd game of last season to reach this milestone! What a difference a year makes.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:27 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
I'm too tired and maybe this is sarcasm.. but commenting on points is crazy. Bourque is on pace for a 49-point season, Prust for a 30-point season.

To be honest, I see Galcheyuk demoted to the 4th line. Something like;
Moen-Galchenyuk-Armstrong

Me personally? I'm not sure, but it would be either;

Galchenyuk - Dumont - Armstrong
Prust - Dumont - Armstrong

I'd put Gionta with Eller, Bourque back up with Plekanec.

Ryder - Plekanec - Bourque
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk/Prust - Eller - Gionta
Galchenyuk/Prust - Dumont - Armstrong
Fair enough. Throw out points.

Lets look at compete level then. Who has more? Prust, Galchenyuk or Bourque?

That's an easy one. Bourque at the bottom. Galchenyuk is a more rounded player and he is the future for the Habs. Why demote him?

And why mess with Ryder, Pleks and Gionta? They scored two goals tonight and played well on D.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

I think Bourque and Prust coming back means the return of the playtime-based-on-merit system in a more meaningful way. We'll have 3 potential top sixers on our 3rd line and Prust on the 4th. That's good.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Forsead

Quote:

Markov is a Norris candidate to me, at least in my heart

Old
03-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Fair enough. Throw out points.

Lets look at compete level then. Who has more? Prust, Galchenyuk or Bourque?

That's an easy one. Bourque at the bottom. Galchenyuk is a more rounded player and he is the future for the Habs. Why demote him?

And why mess with Ryder, Pleks and Gionta? They scored two goals tonight and played well on D.
Compete level? This season? Bourque is right up there with Prust. Bourque was, IMO, the best player through the first 17-games of the season (his 17th game was very poor but I believe he was already playing with a concussion).

Our 4th line isn't really a demotion anyway. They play 10-12 minutes per game, which isn't much less than what Galchenyuk averages. Plus, he'd probably be able to dominate a little more versus 4th liners, which would do wonders for his confidence.

Gionta's goal was with Desharnais. The other two were PP goals, which you could keep them together on the PP if you want.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I think Bourque and Prust coming back means the return of the playtime-based-on-merit system in a more meaningful way. We'll have 3 potential top sixers on our 3rd line and Prust on the 4th. That's good.
Is there a merit system for intangibles?

Galchenyuk has struggled with Prust out of the lineup.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Is there a merit system for intangibles?

Galchenyuk has struggled with Prust out of the lineup.
I don't think we'll see Galchenyuk alot in the playoff in terms of icetime, then again it's normal he's still in a learning curve.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:32 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Compete level? This season? Bourque is right up there with Prust. Bourque was, IMO, the best player through the first 17-games of the season (his 17th game was very poor but I believe he was already playing with a concussion).

Our 4th line isn't really a demotion anyway. They play 10-12 minutes per game, which isn't much less than what Galchenyuk averages. Plus, he'd probably be able to dominate a little more versus 4th liners, which would do wonders for his confidence.
OK, if the 4th line is not a demotion, then lets put Bourque there so we can be more well rounded. Or Eller.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
OK, if the 4th line is not a demotion, then lets put Bourque there so we can be more well rounded. Or Eller.
Bourque was playing almost 18 minutes a game before he got injured. That IS a demotion for him. A one minute drop that Galchenyuk would take isn't much of a demotion.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Forsead

Quote:
You have to remember that a guy like Prust even if he practice and start during a game on the 4th line, will play with Plekanec/Desharnais/Galchenyuk if rough things happens, then will play on the PK alot.

Then you have the post PP shifts where he will play with the talented players that doesn't play on the PP while the PP guys are benched.

All this because he is very important and versatile, that's why even when starting on a 4th line he will get around 15 minutes on the ice.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

The success of this team might put bergevin in a tough spot. Do you take the success of this season and make moves to make a legitimate playoff run? If so, he can't rely on Diaz coming back, and would be in the market for a top 4 D. The team might not get better than they are right now under bergevin's watch. Its been a magical season.

Closed Thread