HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal

Old
03-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Aiastelmon

vCash: 500
Jordan Staal

And man was I thankful we dodged the bullet of that albatross contract that they gave J. Staal. I know a lot of you guys love him, but the guy has clearly regressed, and is not playing anywhere near that contract. His offensive instincts seem non-existent, his hands are awful, and his defense is about as bad as during the Philly playoff series. Not to mention that goal he scored into his own net was the last one he's had for about a month.

He just seems to drive into the O zone and center a blind pass every single time in, usually starting a break the other way. And it's not like he's playing with slouches either. And I have no idea what he's trying to prove on the power play, hanging around the perimeter and taking bad angle shots. Carolina's PP is awful this year (29th) and I see why.

On the other hand, Sutter has been fantastic, and could clearly benefit from even a little more help from linemates. I think the trade would have been a win even up, and that Sutter has a higher ceiling than Staal.

Aiastelmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

What does Staal really have to play for?

His team isn't a serious cup threat, he's already got his money, he's got his playing time, and hes got his family.

There is no reason to lay it on the line every game.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I wasn't a fan of giving Staal 6 million. Mostly because I valued the 2 centers ahead of him more and wanted to use that money to surround them with better talent.

That said, it's still early. Remember when James Neal came here and had one goal in twenty games or so and two goals counting the playoffs that year? And all that while Goligoski lit it up in Dallas during that time. But once both guys settled in it went the complete opposite direction.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
What does Staal really have to play for?

His team isn't a serious cup threat, he's already got his money, he's got his playing time, and hes got his family.

There is no reason to lay it on the line every game.
I really hope he's got more character than that.

And I believe he does.

He's just incredibly streaky. We saw that here with the Pens. One 20-game stretch he'd look like an uncoordinated goofball who couldn't score into an empty net, then the next 20-game stretch he'd look like he could legitimately become a 30 goal, 70 point Selke winning center.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:45 AM
DoktorZaius

Shero played the Canes off against the Rags in a bidding war to determine who would control the hearts and minds of Staals everywhere and extracted max value.

If Staal turns out to have peaked I suppose that makes the trade look all the better, but I do wish him the best of luck.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:02 AM
turd

He has always been overrated by the media and most Pens fans. I would take Sutter every day and twice on Sundays compared to Staal.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:09 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Yea, no. Staal is better than Sutter...

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:26 AM
turd

At being lazy maybe. I give skating and offensive instincts to Sutter. The defensive play is basically identical. And I definitely give Sutter the advantage in compete level. There's hardly anything about the way Sutter plays the game that makes me wish Staal was still around.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:29 AM
BrookswasHere44

Yeah Staal is MO BETTA than Sutter...with that said...i love Sutter...love that hes on this team...but lets not get carried away.

You did not specify but if you are meaning you'll take Sutters contract over Staal...then fine...ok

Not sure what else you would take so eagerly

BrookswasHere44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:33 AM
turd

Nothing to specify. I would take Sutter the player over Staal the player. I know there's a ton of Staal fanboys around these parts for reasons I will never fully comprehend, but I stand by what I said.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:02 AM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

<----bring back Staal

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Jaded-Fan

Meh.

Staal is the better player.

That you watched him one game, and because of that one game viewing, can come to a conclusion otherwise is a bit astonishing to me.

I like that we 'win' a trade as much as anyone, but I always saw Staal as a player who you needed to look closer than at the scoresheet to truly appreciate. He would have looked great on this team for the rest of his career. That became impossible. We got as good as we could given we had no choice. But I am not going to slam him now to feel better about it all.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Pancakes

Staal is the better player but Sutter is the better fit. Sutter's affordable cap hit allows the Pens to improve in other areas. We obviously don't miss Staal's offense; we're still scoring boat loads of goals.

Pouliot and Dumoulin could just be the icing on the cake. If either develops into a top 4 defenseman, this trade is a huge win for the Pens. Even if they both bust, it's at worst an even trade because Sutter is not much of a downgrade at all from Staal.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:52 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Staal is likely the better alround player now and in the future, but even if Sutter gets to 3.5-4 million on his next deal, that will be better value than Staal at 6, IMO.
For the moment at least we also have a player in Sutter who is not conflicted about what his role on the team is to be, nor harbors realistic 'Star' dreams about his game breaking offensive arsenal. He is constantly giving his best defensive effort, and that is key to his position on the Pens. Just like it was worthless when Staal broke out offensively last season, but suddenly couldn't be a defensive mastiff and ace penalty killer.

Sutter has some improvement he can do also, and scoring the way he is now with this seasons' installments of Kennedy and Cooke, that also suggests that there could be more coming if one or both his line mates had a fraction more to offer in the way of offensive ability.

Finally.... Staal is a very good player who we can all love. But that doesn't mean he wasn't frequently overrated here.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:35 AM
gordie

Jordan Staal is not a frontline center like he is now expected to be in Carolina but he's a great supporting cast player especially playing behind Crosby and Malkin. The fact is in the 2006 Entry Draft if the Pens pick Toews over Staal the Pens don't win the cup in 2009 because some of Jordan Staal's defensive work was the reason the Pens were able to shut Detroit down in the 3 Final games at home.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:43 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Staal is a phenomenal player, I love him, he played a huge role in us winning the Cup (and as such I stick by my original hopes of drafting him), every team would be happy to have him, and we do way too much Sutter aggrandizing to try to make ourselves feel better about that deal...that said I'm glad we don't have $60 million tied up in him and that was a ridiculously good trade for this franchise.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Master Shake

Staals natural spot should be playing shutdown 3rd line center for the Penguins. Up until a couple of years ago he was about the best at it that a player could be. His defensive game has lapsed however. I really do not understand it tbh.

I will say that I was openly calling for Sutter to be the main guy we got in return for a trade for Staal. That has worked out well at least.

I wish Staal the best though. Always thankful to him.

He is still young so Canes fans have no real reason to be upset yet. but someone needs to make him play up to his potential as a shutdown forward. For a couple of years there he looked like the best in the business at it.

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:05 AM
DoktorZaius

I think Toews would have been a better pick, even considering the Cup. Guessing here, but I expect he would have shifted over to wing and become our coveted lifetime winger for Sid. They both play such a high skill 2 way game and can forecheck so well...they'd just be a nightmare for other teams. Throw Kunitz in there too, and it just wouldn't be fair.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:11 AM
wej20

haven't seen much him this year but he's scoring at 20 goal 61 point pace, what were people expecting him to do? He's definitely a better player than Sutter but like others have pointed out Sutter is a better fit for the team going forward.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:24 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Watching one game should not be enough to make this type of call. He's better than Sutter right now. I'd take Staal at 4.5 over Sutter any day. However - next year it all changes. For cap purposes and how our team is constructed - i'll easily take Sutter.

But yeah... no more analyzing players based on 1 game.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:55 AM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
That you watched him one game, and because of that one game viewing, can come to a conclusion otherwise is a bit astonishing to me.
Who said anything about watching one game? I didn't watch that game, except for that clip of him scoring on his own net. I have watched probably 7-8 games of theirs this season, however. He's the same streaky, half-assed player he was here.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:10 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Jordan Staal is not a frontline center like he is now expected to be in Carolina but he's a great supporting cast player especially playing behind Crosby and Malkin. The fact is in the 2006 Entry Draft if the Pens pick Toews over Staal the Pens don't win the cup in 2009 because some of Jordan Staal's defensive work was the reason the Pens were able to shut Detroit down in the 3 Final games at home.
How do you know for sure that we wouldn't have won more Cups with a Conn Smythe winner in Toews that led his team to a cup win without the luxuries of having Crosby/Malkin? You don't.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:19 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
How do you know for sure that we wouldn't have won more Cups with a Conn Smythe winner in Toews that led his team to a cup win without the luxuries of having Crosby/Malkin? You don't.
And, yet, of course, your opinion is perfectly provable.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
And Toews is one of the better two way centers in the league. You can't make a statement like this and back it up. I'm not crying that we didn't take Toews because if we couldn't keep Sid, Geno, Staal we sure as hell couldn't keep Sid, Geno, Toews.

That said, there are some serious homer glasses going on here with Sutter. The dude is great, but Staal is definitely a better player.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
And, yet, of course, your opinion is perfectly provable.
He's not the one that said we wouldn't have won a cup with Toews. Which one is the more likely conclusion?

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote