HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
  #76
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Get well soon, Slats. We are all wishing you well.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:25 PM
  #77
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Get well soon! He probably has dirty pictures of cancer.

nyrpassion is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
  #78
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne
 
Brooklyndevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,698
vCash: 500
Best wishes to Mr. Sather. Rooting for Glenn!

Brooklyndevil is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
  #79
snipeit
Registered User
 
snipeit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bad Gastein, Austria
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,511
vCash: 50
Sad to hear, hope he can recover from it.

snipeit is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
  #80
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
What? ....
You're a flawed GM, Slats, but I'm optimistic you'll pull through this

bernmeister is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:22 PM
  #81
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,116
vCash: 500
we suck. no playoffs this year. sather blew up the team. we let key system guys go amd bring in crap fillers like pyatt and halpern.

KreiMeARiver is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:32 PM
  #82
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Anyone have an update on how the surgery went?

nyrpassion is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:40 PM
  #83
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 26,136
vCash: 2800
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
we suck. no playoffs this year. sather blew up the team. we let key system guys go amd bring in crap fillers like pyatt and halpern.
I know this is getting OT, but I disagree. Sather let key guys go who were part of a system we shouldn't have.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:41 PM
  #84
JD123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
we suck. no playoffs this year. sather blew up the team. we let key system guys go amd bring in crap fillers like pyatt and halpern.
Hope the surgery went well and he recovers fully, but after that please hand the reigns of GM to someone else. Cause we all know baby Dolan will never fire you.

JD123 is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:42 PM
  #85
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
I know this is getting OT, but I disagree. Sather let key guys go who were part of a system we shouldn't have.
It's not OT. This entire thread is for all Sather related talk.

__________________
Into the flood again; Same old trip it was back then.
Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:48 PM
  #86
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,303
vCash: 500
Hope his surgery went well.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 10:54 PM
  #87
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 26,136
vCash: 2800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
It's not OT. This entire thread is for all Sather related talk.
Oh. I thought the prostate cancer was the topic of this thread. I didn't realize the Torts/Sather thread got split up.

Kane One is online now  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:02 AM
  #88
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Well, if this is not proof that prolonged exposure to watching the New York Rangers is bad for your health.

I don't know what is...

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:23 AM
  #89
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star
 
messierjagrlundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
we suck. no playoffs this year. sather blew up the team. we let key system guys go amd bring in crap fillers like pyatt and halpern.
I agree. I was thinking about this: if you could do the Nash trade over again, do you include Kreider and/or Miller? Say, Kreider and Dubinsky and a 1st for Nash and you keep Erixon and Anisimov.

You lose a higher tier prospect like Krieder to hold onto a then lower tier prospect like Erixon (who is now a contributor) and a contributor in Anisimov. Krieder and Miller aren't ready.

They should be in the AHL working on their D. Hard to imagine us not being a whole lot better with a solid 3C and another depth defenseman. Then I start thinking that by not offering up Krieder or Miller, maybe Sather knows we're not making a run this year. Maybe our year to be contenders is next year after these two can develop and our 4th line gets assembled.

Anyway, it's all for naught because even with Dubinsky, Anisimov AND Nash this team goes nowhere with Richards taking 5 steps back.

messierjagrlundqvist is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:31 AM
  #90
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post
I agree. I was thinking about this: if you could do the Nash trade over again, do you include Kreider and/or Miller? Say, Kreider and Dubinsky and a 1st for Nash and you keep Erixon and Anisimov.

You lose a higher tier prospect like Krieder to hold onto a then lower tier prospect like Erixon (who is now a contributor) and a contributor in Anisimov. Krieder and Miller aren't ready.

They should be in the AHL working on their D. Hard to imagine us not being a whole lot better with a solid 3C and another depth defenseman. Then I start thinking that by not offering up Krieder or Miller, maybe Sather knows we're not making a run this year. Maybe our year to be contenders is next year after these two can develop and our 4th line gets assembled.

Anyway, it's all for naught because even with Dubinsky, Anisimov AND Nash this team goes nowhere with Richards taking 5 steps back.
No, Krieder is the future of this team. I would still do that trade easily.

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:37 AM
  #91
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post
I agree. I was thinking about this: if you could do the Nash trade over again, do you include Kreider and/or Miller? Say, Kreider and Dubinsky and a 1st for Nash and you keep Erixon and Anisimov.

You lose a higher tier prospect like Krieder to hold onto a then lower tier prospect like Erixon (who is now a contributor) and a contributor in Anisimov. Krieder and Miller aren't ready.

They should be in the AHL working on their D. Hard to imagine us not being a whole lot better with a solid 3C and another depth defenseman. Then I start thinking that by not offering up Krieder or Miller, maybe Sather knows we're not making a run this year. Maybe our year to be contenders is next year after these two can develop and our 4th line gets assembled.

Anyway, it's all for naught because even with Dubinsky, Anisimov AND Nash this team goes nowhere with Richards taking 5 steps back.
I dunno if I'd rather trade Miller of Kreider first. But for the sake of debate, let's say Kreider.
If they asked for one of those two, I would do
Anisamov + Kreider/Miller + 1st
for
Nash

Remember, Kreider just came off a pretty hot playoff run. I would KILL for that trade. At the time..no, now..yes.

nyrpassion is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:44 AM
  #92
5 4 Fighting
Big member
 
5 4 Fighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bk all day
Country: United States
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 400
Get well soon Glen, and please fix this abomination of a team by letting Torts go walk his dogs somewhere else and getting a good return for some floaters.

5 4 Fighting is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:45 AM
  #93
Kwayry
Take the damn deal
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Larry brooks:
Quote:
rangers president and general manager glen sather is expected to make a complete recovery from the prostate cancer surgery he underwent yesterday in a new york, according to individuals with knowledge of the situation.

Sather, 69, is expected to resume day-to-day operations within a relatively short time after being released from the hospital. Assistant general manager jeff gorton has assumed the day-to-day responsibilities generally handled by sather.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Kwayry is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 12:49 AM
  #94
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
Get well soon Glen, and please fix this abomination of a team by letting Torts go walk his dogs somewhere else and getting a good return for some floaters.
Torts dogs hate him too...

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 08:20 AM
  #95
mgftp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
How does Sather still have a job?

This is a rant, click your back button if you don't want to read negativity and anger.

I have heard so many things about this struggling team this year, and most are true, but it seems like everyone ignores the position the GM has put the team in. I am just so frustrated with this guy continually making the same mistake again and again. Signing players that are too old to deals that are too much of a cap hit to way too long of a term. We have a pretty insane track record at this point: Drury, Gomez, Redden, and now Richards being the biggest blunders from the list.

This guy simply can not operate in a salary cap league. How many depth and role players have we missed on signing, have we lost to free agency, or have had to trade because of these contracts that are completely idiotic the day they are signed? Yes, there are some players that have longevity, Jagr, Selanne, but they are few and far between. Most players start to decline around 30 so why are we giving players who are 30+ long term deals? Its just completely idiotic.

I started crying about the Richards contract before it was even signed, when it was just rumor, I know more than likely he would just become another Chris Drury. But my fellow Rangers fans said no, this is the best signing ever! ... OK, so now what? Could we even get 7th rounder back for the guy and the contract he carries at this point or will it be another buyout? (One thing I am unsure of, with the new CBA, does buying him out effect our cap space moving forward?) ...

But in the mean time we had to say goodbye to Prust who might be the best in the NHL at the role he plays because of cap space. And that would give us many more million left over to play with. With what Jagr is doing and all the kids we have to sign this off season - what about no Richards for having Prust, Jagr, and the ability to sign guys like DelZotto and others we won't be able to resign if we still have the Richards contract? I'd take that, but that just one of many possible scenarios if we weren't paying someone producing nothing and constantly turning the puck over 7mil$ for the next 5 years.


With all the problems the Rangers have, to me this is the root of the problem, its an idiotic mistake that has happened way too many times. So I just can't comprehend why it seems to be ignored.

mgftp is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 06:52 PM
  #96
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
All due well wishes for a man deailng with a serious health issue at the moment.

That being said:

I will give this team until "sometime" next season to get it ALL done. ALL means WINNING IT ALL.

They bought some time getting to ECF last season, so with the lockout shortened season this year I am willing to ride it out and see what they come up with.

But next year if they do not get it done then I will be calling for Sather's (and everyone els in the organization) head. Loud and in every way I can. At games, social media, emails, faxes (?), hand-written letters, whatever it takes. Even a protest at MSG. I do not plan to give up my tickets or stopo being a fan of The New York Rangers, but I will let myself be heard.

Just sayin'

__________________
Sather has...no clue
Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 06:54 PM
  #97
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 14,430
vCash: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgftp View Post
This is a rant, click your back button if you don't want to read negativity and anger.

I have heard so many things about this struggling team this year, and most are true, but it seems like everyone ignores the position the GM has put the team in. I am just so frustrated with this guy continually making the same mistake again and again. Signing players that are too old to deals that are too much of a cap hit to way too long of a term. We have a pretty insane track record at this point: Drury, Gomez, Redden, and now Richards being the biggest blunders from the list.

This guy simply can not operate in a salary cap league. How many depth and role players have we missed on signing, have we lost to free agency, or have had to trade because of these contracts that are completely idiotic the day they are signed? Yes, there are some players that have longevity, Jagr, Selanne, but they are few and far between. Most players start to decline around 30 so why are we giving players who are 30+ long term deals? Its just completely idiotic.

I started crying about the Richards contract before it was even signed, when it was just rumor, I know more than likely he would just become another Chris Drury. But my fellow Rangers fans said no, this is the best signing ever! ... OK, so now what? Could we even get 7th rounder back for the guy and the contract he carries at this point or will it be another buyout? (One thing I am unsure of, with the new CBA, does buying him out effect our cap space moving forward?) ...

But in the mean time we had to say goodbye to Prust who might be the best in the NHL at the role he plays because of cap space. And that would give us many more million left over to play with. With what Jagr is doing and all the kids we have to sign this off season - what about no Richards for having Prust, Jagr, and the ability to sign guys like DelZotto and others we won't be able to resign if we still have the Richards contract? I'd take that, but that just one of many possible scenarios if we weren't paying someone producing nothing and constantly turning the puck over 7mil$ for the next 5 years.


With all the problems the Rangers have, to me this is the root of the problem, its an idiotic mistake that has happened way too many times. So I just can't comprehend why it seems to be ignored.
At least hold the rants until he's out of the hospital. Damn.


Last edited by Killem Dafoe: 03-23-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Killem Dafoe is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 06:54 PM
  #98
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 44,790
vCash: 50
As much as I want Sather gone, he won't leave under anyone's accord but his own.

Bob Richards is offline  
Old
03-23-2013, 10:22 PM
  #99
Zamboner
Your move, creep.
 
Zamboner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Torts dogs hate him too...
No matter how wide open the center of the lawn is, he keeps insisting his dogs **** up the boards. It's a little perplexing.

Zamboner is offline  
Old
03-24-2013, 05:34 AM
  #100
Cake or Death
Registered User
 
Cake or Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgftp View Post
This is a rant, click your back button if you don't want to read negativity and anger.

I have heard so many things about this struggling team this year, and most are true, but it seems like everyone ignores the position the GM has put the team in. I am just so frustrated with this guy continually making the same mistake again and again. Signing players that are too old to deals that are too much of a cap hit to way too long of a term. We have a pretty insane track record at this point: Drury, Gomez, Redden, and now Richards being the biggest blunders from the list.

This guy simply can not operate in a salary cap league. How many depth and role players have we missed on signing, have we lost to free agency, or have had to trade because of these contracts that are completely idiotic the day they are signed? Yes, there are some players that have longevity, Jagr, Selanne, but they are few and far between. Most players start to decline around 30 so why are we giving players who are 30+ long term deals? Its just completely idiotic.

I started crying about the Richards contract before it was even signed, when it was just rumor, I know more than likely he would just become another Chris Drury. But my fellow Rangers fans said no, this is the best signing ever! ... OK, so now what? Could we even get 7th rounder back for the guy and the contract he carries at this point or will it be another buyout? (One thing I am unsure of, with the new CBA, does buying him out effect our cap space moving forward?) ...

But in the mean time we had to say goodbye to Prust who might be the best in the NHL at the role he plays because of cap space. And that would give us many more million left over to play with. With what Jagr is doing and all the kids we have to sign this off season - what about no Richards for having Prust, Jagr, and the ability to sign guys like DelZotto and others we won't be able to resign if we still have the Richards contract? I'd take that, but that just one of many possible scenarios if we weren't paying someone producing nothing and constantly turning the puck over 7mil$ for the next 5 years.


With all the problems the Rangers have, to me this is the root of the problem, its an idiotic mistake that has happened way too many times. So I just can't comprehend why it seems to be ignored.
It's not ignored. It's just pointless to freak out over it when out ownership doesn't care and isn't gonna fire him. Bottom line is, any ownership that truly cared/had a clue would have fired Sather somewhere in the 2001-2002 range, and lit Sather on fire when he gave Bobby Holik 9 million per for 5 years in 2002. Sather didn't just get bad recently, he's been a fiasco his entire time here. And it would have looked a lot worse if Jagr and Nash didn't essentially dictate their trades to the Rangers themselves. Sather should have been fired 50 times over before the locked out season in 2004, so losing your mind that he's here is pointless at this point.

Cake or Death is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.