HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Official 2012-2013 Season Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
I'd still be shocked if they sent Cole down. Guys get injured in warmups, they're not going to let themselves get put in a position where they only have 5 dmen if that happened.

They're also not going to fake an IR or conditioning assignment.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:07 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I think Porter would get claimed. Maybe Elliott would, too, I'm not sure. I'd bet he doesn't....but maybe Dallas would take him.

I'll be disappointed if the Blues lose Porter in exchange for keeping D'Agostini. D'Ags may have some trade value in terms of his RFA status, but with that many healthy scratches I think its pretty minimal.

Old
03-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Alklha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I think Porter would get claimed. Maybe Elliott would, too, I'm not sure. I'd bet he doesn't....but maybe Dallas would take him.

I'll be disappointed if the Blues lose Porter in exchange for keeping D'Agostini. D'Ags may have some trade value in terms of his RFA status, but with that many healthy scratches I think its pretty minimal.
This. I'd trade D'Agostini for a late pick to free up the spot. We lose some scoring depth, but I can still live with Porter going in ahead of D'Agostini anyway.

Elliott almost certainly doesn't have a future in St. Louis, but trading/waiving him exposes us far more is Allen/Jaro get injured.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:17 PM
BlueDream

We may not have scoring depth in Peoria but if we need someone I honestly believe Cracknell could do just as well as D'Agostini filling in on the 3rd line. His offensive skills are adequate, and he's just a much smarter player than D'Ags with a better overall game. He doesn't have the raw skills, but his hard work makes him a more valuable asset to this team.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:20 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Just waive Dags and be done with it.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:11 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

In Dan O'Neill's piece posted tonight for the P-D, Halak is whining about the goaltending situation. Dude, maybe if you didn't punk out right before a game and play like a sieve this season, you wouldn't find yourself in a complaining situation. Three goalies don't get enough work in practice? Boo-freaking-hoo. Do something about it, like stop the puck and play like the team's highest paid player that you are.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:20 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
In Dan O'Neill's piece posted tonight for the P-D, Halak is whining about the goaltending situation. Dude, maybe if you didn't punk out right before a game and play like a sieve this season, you wouldn't find yourself in a complaining situation. Three goalies don't get enough work in practice? Boo-freaking-hoo. Do something about it, like stop the puck and play like the team's highest paid player that you are.
Not a very flattering piece. The dude needs a shut-out to back up that vibe....and then I think the Blues world will start to look right.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:22 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Not a very flattering piece. The dude needs a shut-out to back up that vibe....and then I think the Blues world will start to look right.
Confusing thing is the premise seemingly accepted by both O'Neill and Halak that he lost his job to injury. No. He lost his job due to his .881. Halak absolutely didn't lose his job to injury. And I agree. If he backs it up with play in Edmonton, ok. If he continues down the path he's been on, he risks losing a lot of fan goodwill after a piece like that.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:25 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Is there a link to the article online somewhere?

Old
03-22-2013, 01:27 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Is there a link to the article online somewhere?
Usually I post them but I was lazy tonight. Here it is.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:56 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Yeah, that's far from flattering. I understand what he's saying, and I understand he's a competitive guy and wants a chance to prove himself, but those are not comments you make as a teammate. Just shut up and do your job. When you get your next start(which appears to be Saturday) make the most of it like Jake did. Make the coach have a tough decision for the next game. Force your way into the lineup through performance, not reputation.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:09 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 1691
So what if he gets pulled first period Saturday?

Old
03-22-2013, 03:08 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Confusing thing is the premise seemingly accepted by both O'Neill and Halak that he lost his job to injury. No. He lost his job due to his .881. Halak absolutely didn't lose his job to injury. And I agree. If he backs it up with play in Edmonton, ok. If he continues down the path he's been on, he risks losing a lot of fan goodwill after a piece like that.
This is exactly right.

Elliott's atrocious play has really shadowed the fact that Halak wasn't playing well either, it was just hard to be any worse than Elliott was. If Halak was truly playing good, they would have just benched Elliott and rode Halak, but they didn't think they could count on him, so that's why Allen is here.

I hate Halak's demeanor. He can only blame himself. This is his 3rd season and in 2 of those, he has lost his starting job at some point to someone who came out of nowhere basically. He's really only "started" one season since he primarily split time with Elliott last year. I've said it all along, I've never thought he was that great, and apparently the Blues must be seeing some of that too.

This quote really does not look good:

Quote:
“It sucks to have three goalies in a practice,” Halak said. “You know, you don’t get enough work and especially with so many games in a row, we don’t even get a full practice. Any team in the NHL just has two goalies, so the goalies get enough work and they stay in shape.
Tough man, that's part of being in the NHL...competing for your job.

Really looking forward to the Edmonton game now.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:10 AM
BadgersandBlues

Have never been a fan of Halak's demeanor, even when the PR team was trying to sell it as "compact and efficient." He always just looks lazy and slow and a 1/2 step behind the play. We clearly needed a goalie that we could build around, and he was the best available at the time, so I don't mind the trade....but man, I think Allen is going to become our #1 as soon as Halak's contract is over, or sooner if we can find a trade partner this off-season. (Florida? Toronto? Calgary?)

I feel like he played out of his mind for 2 weeks in his entire career and has been riding that ever since.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Tough man, that's part of being in the NHL...competing for your job.
In Halak's defense, I can understand the frustration. Weeks like this past one where you have a several practices are fine and you can offer enough drills to keep three goaltenders sharp.
Other weeks where there is four games in seven days do not really give the goaltenders enough to keep them sharp...in particular the backup(s).

That said I would suspect Halak is getting the requisite workload since I am sure it is:

1) Allen
2) Halak

3) Elliott

Old
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
I've just about had it with Halak after that asinine performance last night.

What has this overpaid injury prone Goalie accomplished other then a very good 2010 playoff run with Montreal? Tying Glenn Hall's all time shutouts in team history? Get rid of Halak Armstrong.

If Halak is still on the roster after the Trade deadline, stick a fork in the 2013 season, it's all but over.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Freyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post

What has this overpaid injury prone Goalie accomplished other then a very good 2010 playoff run with Montreal? Tying Glenn Hall's all time shutouts in team history? Get rid of Halak Armstrong.

If Halak is still on the roster after the Trade deadline, stick a fork in the 2013 season, it's all but over.
Ells as backup isn't really a fantastic outlook either. We really need to sort out this 3 goalie mess regardless.

Hopefully Binnington develops well with the rest of the talent coming into Peoria / whatever our AHL team is in the future. Allen / Binnington in a few years could be interesting.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:11 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I missed all the games over the weekend but it sounds like the Blues' defensive team game returned in Alberta and that's a good sign. As I've said for a while, I've been resigned to the fact that there likely won't be any reinforcements coming before the trade deadline and that's fine as the biggest issue hanging over the team right now is goaltending and at least they have depth at the position. I have a feeling the net is officially Jake Allen's after reading Hitch's "weak goal" comment.

The Blues will make the playoffs and Chicago erased any drama in the hunt for the division so games like last night are frustrating but certainly not backbreaking. The Blues are much better than any of the teams seeded 8-13 and will jockey for position with the 4-7's and hopefully avoid LA in the first round. I'd be comfortable playing any of Anaheim, Vancouver, Minnesota, or Detroit.

Perhaps this weekend will finally propel them into re-finding the consistency from last season which will enable them to play their best hockey down the stretch and grab home-ice in the first round. Other than seeing Chicago three times in the final 17 games (including the final game of the season which could be irrelevant for them) the schedule isn't too bad.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post

He needs to get a shut-out EVERY game, then?

The 3rd goal was a back-breaker. Redden got beat, then made a hell of an effort to knock the puck away...but unfortunately also dislodged Halak's position. Halak still needs to make that save, but its not entirely on him in that situation. I bet he feels he should still make it, though.

Kiprusoff stole a game for his team. The Blues outplayed Calgary. Oshie's really nifty out-of-the-box steal/goal notwithstanding, I think he could be getting just as much ire as Halak for that horrible turnover that left his goalie out to dry. Or Redden for getting beaten by Iginla so badly and allowing the breakaway.

People talk like replacing Halak is like going to buy a carton of eggs. He's not playing his best hockey right now, but he's playing better hockey than he did at the start of the season. I'd prefer to let him round into form in time for the playoffs and tandem with Jake Allen. I just don't see what mystical goalie is available to come in and replace him. I've suffered with a turn-style of mediocre journeymen goalies for too long as a Blues' fan. I'm not that quick to forget what Halak looks like when he's 'on'. And I still think he can get that going by the playoffs.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
erderuft

^^ this. Finally someone with a reasonable outlook on this whole goalie situation. Give Halak a little time, he'll come back to form, and in the meantime, if the rest of the players could help out a little by not handing the puck over to the opposing team all the time, that'd be great.

If it's anything we Blues fans should have in spades, it's patience. Think of all the lousy goalies we've had over the years. It's not like we're used to big time true no 1 goalies. Patience everyone. Halak will be better.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:45 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

oh ok problem solved I feel so reasonable that I'm gonna pat myself on the back for it.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:52 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Interesting stat from Scott Cullen of TSN that Halak hasn't faced more than 23 shots in a game this season and hasn't recorded more than 20 saves in a game this season.

Based on his past comments, I think Halak is a netminder that would almost prefer seeing and feeling more pucks. I'm sure playing behind a team like the Blues is great in one respect but difficult in others as it seems Halak sometimes has trouble getting in any sort of rhythm like the one Kipper get in last night. And that is concerning b/c that workload simply won't come as long as Hitchcock is coaching.

I think that's why Allen has been so impressive. His physical ability to make those key saves once or twice a period and his ability to stay mentally focused when he isn't seeing a lot of rubber have been his greatest attributes as far as I'm concerned.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by erderuft View Post
^^ this. Finally someone with a reasonable outlook on this whole goalie situation. Give Halak a little time, he'll come back to form, and in the meantime, if the rest of the players could help out a little by not handing the puck over to the opposing team all the time, that'd be great.

If it's anything we Blues fans should have in spades, it's patience. Think of all the lousy goalies we've had over the years. It's not like we're used to big time true no 1 goalies. Patience everyone. Halak will be better.
So will we keep telling this to ourselves for the next 3 years again? I mean come on, he hasn't done anything to warrant him getting so many excuses. When was the last time we heard, "Man we really should have lost that game but Halak stole that game for us." That is what a #1 does, is steal games. Halak is a very shaky goaltender who flops a lot and has terrible rebound control.

No one expects him to get a shutout every game, but people at least expect him to make the saves he needs to be making, which he has not been making. Over 200 career games played on 2 playoff teams and he has baely over a 50% winning percentage. Halak has done nothing to warrant all of the excuses given to him.

Year 1 with the Blues
"Well he just needs to get used to the Western Conference, it's much different than playing in the East."

Start of Year 2 with the Blues
"Well he still only has one year as a real starter, he just needs one more and he'll be one of the best goalies in the league."

Everyone thought because of how well his stats looked last year that he was now ready to be our full time starter, this season proved that last year he was only a product of Hitchock's system. While Halak did have good games last year, his overall play didn't warrant him the Jennings trophy, Brian Elliott won that for him. He has looked the same every year I have seen him play. He scrambles for the puck and loses vision of the puck too many times, flops around like a fish, terrible rebound control, cannot stickhandle or play the puck well. People need to face the facts that Halak is a back up or 1B at best, he just isn't a reliable goalie to have between the pipes.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Halak was great last season, this season and the seasons before it shouldn't discount that.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
oh ok problem solved I feel so reasonable that I'm gonna pat myself on the back for it.
You've at least outlined a play to get Kiprusoff, who I like as a goalie. I doubt Calgary does that deal with Halak as the major piece going back...and I know you had Giordano involved. But just with the goalies, I am not sure the Flames bite on it.

But lots of folks are waving their hands and gnashing their teeth, but with no realistic solution other than "Get rid of Halak!"

Allen is playing well enough to continue getting the majority of the starts. Halak may not be your favorite goalie, and may not be a long-term solution for the team (although perhaps Allen is the projected starter in a couple years now). But I'd rather continue working him into form, or take a chance with Allen in the post-season, than to lose salary structure to get a guy like Luongo, or trade a roster asset for a marginal upgrade (Miller?). What other quick-fix solutions are there for this season?

I'm not excusing Halak for his up and down play, I just think that there's no knee-jerk solution. Running with Halak/Allen and recognizing that the pre-season/season structure this year screwed up our goalies seems more reasonable to me. I can envision this same group of goalies backing the team to another record-setting performance next season just as easily as other people can envision a complete irrecoverable meltdown forevermore. I'm glad the team didn't piss away Elliott on the waiver wires, since I still think he can be a contributor next season at a great price.

Closed Thread