HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's shakeup time

Old
03-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
It's not so much an issue of development, it's the type of forwards we draft combined with expectations.

Austin Watson is a good recent example. His upside is essentially "solid offense, excellent defense. 20-25 goals"

Sound familiar? It's Mike Fisher.

Poile was once quoted as saying that they feel like you have to make your first round picks count. They have to play in the NHL, and as a result, he likes to play it safe. They try to take players they are certain will make the NHL with their early picks, even if it's not in the highest capacity. If you have player A...a guy that will play in the NHL, anywhere from line 2 to 4...or Player b, a guy that has a ton of skill, and will either play in the top two lines or not at all...Poile has historically taken player A, with only a few notable exceptions.

Remember this, if Poile comes up to draft at 10 and has a choice between Hunter Shinkaruk and Curtis Lazar.
We have never had the chance to get the top level talent at 1 or 2 (really we could get it this year, and don't get me wrong I am excited to see if we get a Drouin or someone like that), essentially Poile is banking on two 30 goal guys over a 45 goal guy. I understand the conservative approach, it has led to us being in the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years.

I just bothers me that we have this misconception that Trotz kills offensive players and Poile can't draft forwards. They actually create them more than most of their peers.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
We have never had the chance to get the top level talent at 1 or 2 (really we could get it this year, and don't get me wrong I am excited to see if we get a Drouin or someone like that), essentially Poile is banking on two 30 goal guys over a 45 goal guy. I understand the conservative approach, it has led to us being in the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years.

I just bothers me that we have this misconception that Trotz kills offensive players and Poile can't draft forwards. They actually create them more than most of their peers.
Two thirty goal guys? We would kill for that. We've had a 30 goal scorer 3 times in our history.

There have been "riskier" skill players available, I'm not just talking about drafting Patrick Kane. It's taking Austin Watson when your fanbase is clamoring for Emerson Etem(not to say that one is better than the other, it's just a recent example)

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Let's look at his 1st round picks.

David Legwand
Brian Finley Pretty bad
Scott Hartnell
Dan Hamhuis
Scottie Upshall - not so safe here
Ryan Suter
Alexander Radulov
Ryan Parent - Not so safe
Jonathon Blum
Colin Wilson
*Chet Pickard This is the worst of the bunch
Ryan Ellis
Austin Watson

4 out of 13 were straight bust, the book is still out on Blum, Ellis and Watson.

5 if you count Radulov. He was a known headcase. Poile took a chance it cost in the end.

So if only 6 of his 13 picks were good, is that good?
Parent was on his way to being a rock solid second pairing defenseman. He missed an entire year with a crippling back injury in the early going. Upshall has been exactly what he was drafted as...a spark plug 2/3 forward...he just can't stay healthy.

It's just funny that the one time Poile doesn't make the obvious pick...a swedish offensive defenseman...he trades the pick to ottawa to move down and pick Pickard, and misses on Erik Karlsson.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:08 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...Nashville.html

Right now the bell curve average of the Preds has them at the 5-8 pick range.

Even with 44 pts, the Preds would still be a strong contender for 1-5 range. That's 16 pts in the next 18 games. Playing .500 would put the Preds at the worst, 6-7 pick range. But the Preds have been playing .250 in the past 20 games. That's 9 pts in the next 18 games. If the Preds keep playing like that, 54% chance of #1, 44% for #2.

Looking at the chart for where the Preds fell off the cliff it was the Feb 15th area.

But notice, the teams below the Preds are beginning to win.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

winning the lottery would be bad, because Poile wouldn't be able to not take Jones.

American?
Defenseman?

We need to lose that lottery and pick in the 2-4 range.

Who am I kidding though, Wilson and Hornqvist will be back soon, we'll go on a run, and finish 10th\draft 12th.

Old
03-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Nashville has never developed players like Toews, Kane, Sharp, Malkin, or Crosby. The Preds have always had decent two-way forwards that can grind and contribute some scoring here and there. What they have never developed is that dynamic game-changing forward. Wilson, whom you name, is the team's leading scorer so far. But he sits 89th in the league. Our top offensive threat barely cracks the 100-mark.

Erat was the best forward last year, sat 63rd in the league. Erat again the year before, 95th in the league. Go back one more year and its Hornqvist sitting at 91st in the league.

The homegrown forwards always have fit the blue-collar approach Poile and Trotz adhere to. Top forwards in this league are in a complete class above any player Nashville has drafted.
The only guy that could compare to our guys is Sharp. The other players were 1st overall or at the top of a good draft class. The only guy we had was Legwand in one of the weakest drafts. He is light years ahead of the other guys who were seen in that range, but the only stars were Datsyuk and Lecavalier.

You are right, we don't have a superstar forward. But we have plenty of guys who would play on the top two lines on any team in the league.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
You are right, we don't have a superstar forward. But we have plenty of guys who would play on the top two lines on any team in the league.
No we don't. We have maybe 2-3 guys who could play on the second line for some teams.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Two thirty goal guys? We would kill for that. We've had a 30 goal scorer 3 times in our history.

There have been "riskier" skill players available, I'm not just talking about drafting Patrick Kane. It's taking Austin Watson when your fanbase is clamoring for Emerson Etem(not to say that one is better than the other, it's just a recent example)

If Etem can produce like he did in Medicine Hat hes gonna be a great one. Linden Vey was also a killer in Medicine Hat either of those guys far exceed even Watson.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
They actually create them more than most of their peers.
This is simply not true. You cannot point at the guys who have been drafted here and still play in the top 6 and proclaim them legit top 6 guys. There is not a current single top line forward on this team. Maybe Wilson in time. You may have a couple of 2nd line forwards. Their career numbers speak for themselves.

They don't create dynamic game-changing forwards here. They draft and mold decent guys into the system here that puts more emphasis on defense than anything else.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:40 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
This is simply not true. You cannot point at the guys who have been drafted here and still play in the top 6 and proclaim them legit top 6 guys. There is not a current single top line forward on this team. Maybe Wilson in time. You may have a couple of 2nd line forwards. Their career numbers speak for themselves.

They don't create dynamic game-changing forwards here. They draft and mold decent guys into the system here that puts more emphasis on defense than anything else.
If we may have a couple of 2nd line forwards, doesn't that make them legit top 6 guys?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
RomanEmpire

Did you guys see the proposal by the Toronto fan in the trade rumors forum?

Wilson
Ellis
Josi
2nd round pick

For

Phaneuf
Bozak

LOLOLOL.

RomanEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
Did you guys see the proposal by the Toronto fan in the trade rumors forum?

Wilson
Ellis
Josi
2nd round pick

For

Phaneuf
Bozak

LOLOLOL.
You have GOT to be kidding.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:22 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Toronto fans lol

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:31 AM
april

Craig Smith to Milwaukee... Do you think trotz will be content with Mueller or is a trade imminent?

april is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:11 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by april View Post
Craig Smith to Milwaukee... Do you think trotz will be content with Mueller or is a trade imminent?
Interesting. Mueller deserves some ice time I suppose. Personally I don't see any big trades except for us selling so not too worried really.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:44 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I think it's more about Smith not playing like we know how he can.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Nashville Transplant

Wait... Craig Smith... this Milwaukee thing... real? or fan speculation? Because there's something to be said for Smith getting 3 or 4 games of 20 minutes of ice in all situations for the Admirals, as opposed to 8-10 minutes under Trotz' short leash.

Having only moved here a couple months ago, and been to 9 home games, and watched a handful of road games, I've had moments where I was mightily impressed with the kid, but like the coach said on the post-game show last night, it's not about 3 or 4 games, it's about a career, and consistency... I don't think they're considering throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but they do have to instill some level of "accountability" when he's on the ice. That being said, the same is true of any number of Preds who are not in danger of being shipped back to the A... LOL.

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:36 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Doesn't Smith have to clear waivers?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:36 AM
PFL615

If SK only got 1 game for his accountability issues. Smith better not sit anymore than last night. Sitting him over Yip is about reckless.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Trotz had these ups and downs with Erat too early in his career.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Doesn't Smith have to clear waivers?
Yes he does unless its a conditioning assignment

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Personally, I thought Yip was one of our best players last night.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Smith has been terrible this season. I don't know if it's struggling to play Trotz's system, bad linemates, or perhaps unrealistic expectations that he's our offensive savior, but he's not been good, and this may be the best thing for him, if true.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 162
Smith is still on a two way this year his extension starts next year so no he will not have to clear waivers this year.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Smith is still on a two way this year his extension starts next year so no he will not have to clear waivers this year.
two-way only impacts the amount he's paid in the minors, not whether or not he has to clear waivers.