HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: Is Edmonton a Hockey or Football Town?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 05:16 AM
  #51
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,790
vCash: 1020
I enjoy going to Eskimos games, but I really haven't watched them on TV for about 15 years. Too many other things I could be doing.

Hockey is more exciting in general, but also a better excuse to stay inside and watch TV when it's -30.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
  #52
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,826
vCash: 3099
It used to be football. (Eskimos)

But that was a long time ago.

There are increasing numbers that dont give a rip about either.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:22 AM
  #53
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
If Edmonton had an NFL team I'd wager it would be 50:50, because people are attracted to the international stage.

The Eskimos and WHA Oilers probably would have been 50:50 for the same reason, less bragging rights, less exposure, less at stake.
During the 70's the Eskimos were the big thing in town. The team they had was basically the CFL analog of the dynasty Oilers.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:36 AM
  #54
AUAIOMRN
Registered User
 
AUAIOMRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddie View Post
People can like and watch what they please the only thing idiotic is telling people they are just that for not liking something you like.

My order of sports

NHL>NFL>WHL>Tennis>MLB>Autoracing>NBA>Track and field>Darts>Watching paint dry>CFL
He was referring to the dismissal of the Eskimo's popularity in Edmonton. No need to flip out.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:45 AM
  #55
Krut
Registered User
 
Krut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
The CFL might actually be in trouble going forward. It's fairly big among the 40+ crowd, but not for younger people.

I follow the CFL fairly close due mostly to the fact that my old man is a diehard fan, but Canadian football is literally the punch line of a joke between my friends.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:48 AM
  #56
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickpeterson View Post
The only Eskimos fan in Edmonton is Jason Gregor. He's also the only rush fan. More people in Edmonton care about the NFL than the CFL.
Another silly 'blinders on' oiler fandom comment.

This town is becoming more and more Toronto like. Cost per entertainment value alone the CFL blows the doors off of the NHL by a wide margin. You can buy a season ticket in a good spot good for the cost of one stinky Oiler vs Pheonix/Nashville/Minnesota snore fest at rexall.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
  #57
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
The CFL might actually be in trouble going forward. It's fairly big among the 40+ crowd, but not for younger people.

I follow the CFL fairly close due mostly to the fact that my old man is a diehard fan, but Canadian football is literally the punch line of a joke between my friends.
I know they stopped awhile back with that school promotion things at Eskimo games, really should get back into if they aren't.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:35 PM
  #58
Njoy Oilers
Registered User
 
Njoy Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Alberta.
Posts: 3,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
It used to be football. (Eskimos)

But that was a long time ago.

There are increasing numbers that dont give a rip about either.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This please^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:13 PM
  #59
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
I try to watch Eskimo's. Sometimes it's good and I'll keep watching. Most times we either suck or the game is boring and they spend all their time kicking the ball to each other.

They're definately second place but it may be possible for the Oil Kings to replace them some day. I just can't see the Oil Kings keeping the winning momentum long enough. Just the nature of Junior hockey I figure.

I'm interested to see if the Oil Kings playoff buzz is more intense this year than last.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:18 PM
  #60
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Not a fan of football at all myself so it's hard to say. Most people I do know that enjoy the sport are more NFL fans rather than CFL.

Hockey & soccer (the other football) are my preferred sports

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:24 PM
  #61
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 500
The OP's friend must be tripping because as 2 out of 3 posts say this is a hockey town and its not even close

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:31 PM
  #62
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,969
vCash: 500
Look at the OP's posting history. He's made the exact same thread on every Canadian teams board saying his cousin thinks "insert cfl team here" has a better draw.

Weird.

He seems REALLY concerned with ticket sales.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:31 AM
  #63
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
I am from Sask, so I am actually a non Edmonton fan of the Oilers that does love the CFL even if my team of choice is not from Edmonton.

But one unique thing that I love about the CFL is that the season of it folds in rather perfect for a hockey fan. When Stanley Cup finals are ending you are getting the start of CFL training camps, and as they are going through CFL playoffs and the Grey Cup you are having the early less interesting training camp and first month or so of the long NHL season.

As a result I don't think dual fans of the leagues even have to make a choice as to which team they love more, because they can choose both, because when the most interesting parts of the seasons occur are totally different between the 2 leagues. Unlike NFL which runs during the NHL season, or NBA with an almost identical season start / end of the NHL.

Add in the fact that for many people that don't make a lot of money it is more economical to buy a 9 or 10 game season ticket pack to the Eskimos over the Oilers and that many more people can fit into Commonwealth for a game and you find that there is no reason to make a choice. Sometimes pure economomics and availability of tickets make that choice for people. The Eskimos have no season ticket waiting list, and if they somehow built a dynasty franchise they could reopen any closed seats if there w

Many Eskimo fans could just be the average Edmontonian that can afford to take a whole family to every season game for the same price of just a season ticket to the Oilers, and now with a big HD tv and NHL centre ice they can watch the Oilers at home and it isn't that big of a drop in fan experience

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:34 AM
  #64
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
The thing about hockey and the Oilers, I think most fans make less noise because most fans are so focused on the game and the making of noise by that one obnoxious fan is less prevelant than say a football game.

Football and baseball are more slow paced games whereas hockey is a fast paced game.

I go to baseball games a lot and there are tons of drunk fans out of their mind.
NFL is a slow paced game, but people that watch more CFL will not that it is a much faster game due to having a 20 second play clock, less time outs are allowed. Fans in the CFL tend to be loud because they are having fun, not just because they are bored

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:43 AM
  #65
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
I don't care when people rip the CFL and say it will become irrelevent because the ratings it gets on TV continue to be solid and rising. Evidence that it is not just old people watching the game, but there are more young people tuning in.

And when teams are decent in the league they get fans without having to give away tickets unlike many other North American leagues.

The truth is the CFL to many sports fans are like when people visit dirty sites online. Many guys that claim to dislike the CFL may tune in to games when they are alone and nothing else is on, and that still gets ratings to boost the CFL.

The league is growing and doing fine so it doesn't matter when people say bad things about it or that people don't care. It is really more interesting at the core rule set than the NFL, because it really is closer to rules from rugby ( without having all the American changes that were made because they couldn't fit a proper field size in a stadium ) and other changes Americans made to the game. In many rule changes it is as often the Americans that modified the game to make it different since it evolved in both countries to make the rules of the game with it being the Canadian rules that the CFL adopted ( not that the CFL came along after the NFL changine rules to be different, an idea that NFL fanboys with no sense of history will assume )

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:05 AM
  #66
Krut
Registered User
 
Krut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I don't care when people rip the CFL and say it will become irrelevent because the ratings it gets on TV continue to be solid and rising. Evidence that it is not just old people watching the game, but there are more young people tuning in.

And when teams are decent in the league they get fans without having to give away tickets unlike many other North American leagues.

The truth is the CFL to many sports fans are like when people visit dirty sites online. Many guys that claim to dislike the CFL may tune in to games when they are alone and nothing else is on, and that still gets ratings to boost the CFL.

The league is growing and doing fine so it doesn't matter when people say bad things about it or that people don't care. It is really more interesting at the core rule set than the NFL, because it really is closer to rules from rugby ( without having all the American changes that were made because they couldn't fit a proper field size in a stadium ) and other changes Americans made to the game. In many rule changes it is as often the Americans that modified the game to make it different since it evolved in both countries to make the rules of the game with it being the Canadian rules that the CFL adopted ( not that the CFL came along after the NFL changine rules to be different, an idea that NFL fanboys with no sense of history will assume )
I wouldn't be so sure about the young people tuning in.

I've been to a couple of Grey Cups the last few years, and the average age at the green and gold room (and other team rooms for that matter) had to be hovering around 45 at best. Out of a lot of people in my age range that like sports, I honestly don't know a single person that actually gives a rip about the CFL, other than a few that may watch casually here and there.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:07 AM
  #67
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I don't care when people rip the CFL and say it will become irrelevent because the ratings it gets on TV continue to be solid and rising. Evidence that it is not just old people watching the game, but there are more young people tuning in.

And when teams are decent in the league they get fans without having to give away tickets unlike many other North American leagues.

The truth is the CFL to many sports fans are like when people visit dirty sites online. Many guys that claim to dislike the CFL may tune in to games when they are alone and nothing else is on, and that still gets ratings to boost the CFL.

The league is growing and doing fine so it doesn't matter when people say bad things about it or that people don't care. It is really more interesting at the core rule set than the NFL, because it really is closer to rules from rugby ( without having all the American changes that were made because they couldn't fit a proper field size in a stadium ) and other changes Americans made to the game. In many rule changes it is as often the Americans that modified the game to make it different since it evolved in both countries to make the rules of the game with it being the Canadian rules that the CFL adopted ( not that the CFL came along after the NFL changine rules to be different, an idea that NFL fanboys with no sense of history will assume )
Who cares!! The simple fact of the matter is that the NFL has better athletes. I don't give a rats ass if the CFL origins stayed truer to rugby and I doubt new fans do either. I cheer for the Esks because I live in Edmonton and I occasionally take the family (as you mentioned) because it is cheap entertainment. But the CFL game itself lacks the polish and professionalism of the NFL, to me it is like comparing the AHL to the NHL...it is all pro football but the US game is better.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:23 AM
  #68
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Who cares!! The simple fact of the matter is that the NFL has better athletes. I don't give a rats ass if the CFL origins stayed truer to rugby and I doubt new fans do either. I cheer for the Esks because I live in Edmonton and I occasionally take the family (as you mentioned) because it is cheap entertainment. But the CFL game itself lacks the polish and professionalism of the NFL, to me it is like comparing the AHL to the NHL...it is all pro football but the US game is better.
I don't disagree that to most people in Edmonton hockey will finish first right now. I am sure it will be that way for quite a bit.

Though at the same time with the way the Oil has been managed lately, if the Esks had competent management and they were top of the league you would find more people drowning their Oil woes with happiness over watching a team that actually competed every day in Edmonton, ( if such a team existed between the two )

The basic thing is it appears that the CFL has started to figure out what will keep them able to exist and that is all they need to do. They have solid and grown ratings on TSN and they get good TV deals as a result. After that if teams do well and get a 30 k average for a season they will make money in the CFL around 25 k is what most teams need to break even.

It isn't a matter of saying the CFL will get destroyed by any league. If the CFL admits fiscally that they should run responsibly and focus on the fact that they only need to get people out to 9 games plus an exhbition game for a season, it is much easier for them to remain around.

The CFL to many people is more relevant than either of the NBA or MLB has become since you are starting to have to find the more hardcore sports fans, or older fans of MLB or the Blue Jays to follow those leagues.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:45 AM
  #69
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I don't disagree that to most people in Edmonton hockey will finish first right now. I am sure it will be that way for quite a bit.

Though at the same time with the way the Oil has been managed lately, if the Esks had competent management and they were top of the league you would find more people drowning their Oil woes with happiness over watching a team that actually competed every day in Edmonton, ( if such a team existed between the two )

The basic thing is it appears that the CFL has started to figure out what will keep them able to exist and that is all they need to do. They have solid and grown ratings on TSN and they get good TV deals as a result. After that if teams do well and get a 30 k average for a season they will make money in the CFL around 25 k is what most teams need to break even.

It isn't a matter of saying the CFL will get destroyed by any league. If the CFL admits fiscally that they should run responsibly and focus on the fact that they only need to get people out to 9 games plus an exhbition game for a season, it is much easier for them to remain around.

The CFL to many people is more relevant than either of the NBA or MLB has become since you are starting to have to find the more hardcore sports fans, or older fans of MLB or the Blue Jays to follow those leagues.
I'm not 100% certain that I understand what you are trying to say I will agree that the CFL is being managed much better lately, however I still do not think it ranks up there with the other sporting brands, NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL and such.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:23 AM
  #70
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
I'm not 100% certain that I understand what you are trying to say I will agree that the CFL is being managed much better lately, however I still do not think it ranks up there with the other sporting brands, NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL and such.
I am not even arguing quality of the game with CFL to MLB and NBA I don't care if you say that is less.

There aren't really isn't that substantial of a fanbase to the NBA in Canada, historically passion for basketball in Canada is comparable to that of hockey in many US markets it is followed by a specific group of people. Baseball in even the US is aging in the demographic that follows it.

The cfl isn't the only league that can suffer from less younger fans following it. Sure in the future it may be easily only number 2 to the Oilers by a long distance. But if the Esks are managed properly, they can hold on and be a very strong number 2 team that could occasionally take over as being the number one team of interest especially since the seasons don't overlap that much in the two leagues.

Outside of people that go online to places like hfboards, most hockey fans watch hockey, playoffs maybe the draft and free agent signings. After that they don't give much thought to hockey from the point in June say when playoffs end and basically Oct when meaningful NHL games are played. Those of us that follow or even read up on the Oilers when the season isn't on don't actually represent the average fan.

and to the average fan that is where the Esks if run properly have an appeal to remain viable in Edmonton since they really never have to compete with the season of the Oilers with the average fan.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:35 AM
  #71
grego
Registered User
 
grego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
we could have save a lot of time with a poll though, because even i would vote it is now a hockey town NHL more than NFL or any other league. That is the thing though it is a town for NHL and Oilers, world jrs if they come to town. Outside of those things lesser hockey leagues like the Oil Kings would rank lower for fan interest in edmonton than say NFL, cfl , ... pick and argue about whatever leagues you want to put in there.

So it isnt like edmonton fans are running to see any brand or kind of hockey you throw at them they are specific in what they want to see

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:13 AM
  #72
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 47,638
vCash: 500
Turn on any sport talk show in August when CFL is starting. Whether it be Milhouse, Gregor, Spectator or the morning guys. After of they talked Eskies for ten minutes, you will have thirty phone calls asking why they wasted time on that when they should have been talking about the oilers and how they are sucking in the standing and not fixing all the problems. That is one reason why Tencer started the 1 hour a week he talks just Eskie--so people know that for that full hour all the talk is about eskies

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:26 AM
  #73
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I am not even arguing quality of the game with CFL to MLB and NBA I don't care if you say that is less.

There aren't really isn't that substantial of a fanbase to the NBA in Canada, historically passion for basketball in Canada is comparable to that of hockey in many US markets it is followed by a specific group of people. Baseball in even the US is aging in the demographic that follows it.

The cfl isn't the only league that can suffer from less younger fans following it. Sure in the future it may be easily only number 2 to the Oilers by a long distance. But if the Esks are managed properly, they can hold on and be a very strong number 2 team that could occasionally take over as being the number one team of interest especially since the seasons don't overlap that much in the two leagues.

Outside of people that go online to places like hfboards, most hockey fans watch hockey, playoffs maybe the draft and free agent signings. After that they don't give much thought to hockey from the point in June say when playoffs end and basically Oct when meaningful NHL games are played. Those of us that follow or even read up on the Oilers when the season isn't on don't actually represent the average fan.

and to the average fan that is where the Esks if run properly have an appeal to remain viable in Edmonton since they really never have to compete with the season of the Oilers with the average fan.
dude, you're from Saskatchewan...of course you're gonna love the CFL and defend it
but the problem with the CFL is that one team (the Riders) basically outsells the rest of the 7 team COMBINED in merch. sales...why is that?

yes, Rider fan is passionate

but it also shows the passion of the rest of the 7 team isn't as much...probably due to 6 of them having NHL hockey teams

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:57 AM
  #74
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 500
It's clearly NHL>>>>>>>>CFL/NFL and not sure what follows that, it could be MLB or NBA but it might be curling.

Unfortunately the last decade of Eskimos football hasnt been good for CFL fans in Edmonton. Talk about the CFL being a faster paced, more exciting offensively driven game is not true here. We've become the most boring low scoring slow paced team in the league since Macciocia took over and I havent seen any signs of that changing with the new management.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
  #75
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Clearly it's hockey that talks in this town.

As a business you'd be smarter to buy Oiler tickets to impress clients rather than Eskimos tickets.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.