HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Carlson's PP passing

Old
03-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Chukcha

vCash: 500
Carlson's PP passing

Carlson's PP passing accuracy makes me angry
He cannot pass accurately to Ovi for one-timer, his passes are coming to Ovi's skates and Ovi has to waste some time for puck handling
Am i the only one who's noting that? Mike Green is absolutely irreplaceable on PP

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:58 AM
InjuredChoker

Come on, he's just doing the tank job.

But yes, I've noticed that too.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Green isn't better one bit. The guy on my avatar, OTOH...

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:18 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Part of it may well be, Ovi is not moving to the place he could or should be going?

It's hardly limited to Carlson, however. Ovi does seem a bit flat footed at times I want to see him more mobile (not just on the PP)

/In before someone pulls out the best PP in the league stat and how dare we criticize any aspect of the PP.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
txpd

carlson has never been a very strong power play player. his offensive skills just dont seem to translate. he is has 1 pp point this season.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

I was thinking the other day that I can't remember the last time Carlson put a pass on Ovie's stick on the PP. I mean, you'd think he'd do it occasionally, just from dumb luck. I'm starting to think he's really aiming for his backhand and his skates.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Lawrencejame

lol yeah, but sadly who do you put there in his place? Luckily the Ribero - Backstrom combination on the right side of the ice is carrying all the weight on the powerplay. If it weren't for having two play-makers and ovi's shot at the point, we would be in severe trouble lol.

That said, I'm still down to try someone else out, cause as far as I see it, Carlson doesn't have enough confidence in himself to suddenly become better on the pp anytime soon (he might in time). Maybe try Orlov honestly...idk.

Lawrencejame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencejame View Post
lol yeah, but sadly who do you put there in his place? Luckily the Ribero - Backstrom combination on the right side of the ice is carrying all the weight on the powerplay. If it weren't for having two play-makers and ovi's shot at the point, we would be in severe trouble lol.

That said, I'm still down to try someone else out, cause as far as I see it, Carlson doesn't have enough confidence in himself to suddenly become better on the pp anytime soon (he might in time). Maybe try Orlov honestly...idk.
Orlov would be passing to Ovechkin on his backhand. Kundratek? Oleksy? Those are the only two other RHD.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Orlov would be attempting to either pivot to pass to Ovechkin or pass on his backhand. Not an ideal solution for force feeding Ovie one-timers, either.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

At least it might not be as obvious every time Ovechkin was about to get the puck if some of the passes were backhand ones.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
BobRouse

We are the 2nd worst team in the league and you guys are complaining over minute details of our PP which is ranked 3rd in the league???

There are about a 1,000 items that would take priority before we even should start this kind of discussion when you think about it.

Its like a guy who just got blasted in the chest with a shotgun and the doctors are analyzing a paper cut he has on his pinky finger...

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
We are the 2nd worst team in the league and you guys are complaining over minute details of our PP which is ranked 3rd in the league???

There are about a 1,000 items that would take priority before we even should start this kind of discussion when you think about it.

Its like a guy who just got blasted in the chest with a shotgun and the doctors are analyzing a paper cut he has on his pinky finger...
A) John Carlson is one of the biggest reasons why this team is in 29th place.
B) It's entirely possible to discuss more than one thing at a time. That's why we have multiple threads.
C) We're not actually fixing anything, just running our mouths. Your point might have some merit if we actually had any influence.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:

Fixing the power play doesn't preclude fixing other problems.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:42 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Fixing the power play doesn't preclude fixing other problems.
Why fix something that isn't broke? Our PP is 3rd in the league clicking at nearly 25%!!!

Carlson is on the PP b/c Green is injured and we still are doing decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
A) John Carlson is one of the biggest reasons why this team is in 29th place.
B) It's entirely possible to discuss more than one thing at a time. That's why we have multiple threads.
C) We're not actually fixing anything, just running our mouths. Your point might have some merit if we actually had any influence.
A) So wrong. Way too much on JC's plate especially now playing with the Golden Stork. He was playing strong hockey opposite Erskine.
B) Agreed. Just chiming in with my 2 cents on the value of the discussion.
C) Cant disagree but its the same thing I'm doing.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
n3ss

Mike green hasn't been any better. I've seen Carlson actually put a few passes where Ovechkin wants them, but Green was terrible, far from being a #1 puck moving defenseman like he's being paid.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
A) So wrong. Way too much on JC's plate especially now playing with the Golden Stork. He was playing strong hockey opposite Erskine.
You've been incredibly vocal in your support of Erskine. If both Erskine and Carlson were playing so well, why have the opponents scored so many goals against them?

Carlson has been abysmal this year.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Carlson's regression has been a mystery. The tools still appear to be there. Was he that dependent on Alzner? Has he become to complacent? Is conditioning an issue?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
You've been incredibly vocal in your support of Erskine. If both Erskine and Carlson were playing so well, why have the opponents scored so many goals against them?

Carlson has been abysmal this year.
Erskine has played exceptionally well and its no coincidence our play dipped the moment he got hurt and prior to that when he was either suspended or not in the lineup.

You act as if Carlson is the main reason we are 2nd to last in the league. He's been asked to do far too much and is still just a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Carlson's regression has been a mystery. The tools still appear to be there. Was he that dependent on Alzner? Has he become to complacent? Is conditioning an issue?
Or could it be that he is a young defenseman still trying to stabalize his game? Again..he's just a kid and it takes time for Dmen to develop fully.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Despite the fact that he and Alzner sucked together at the beginning of the season (and continued to suck together on the penalty kill for a while), part of it has to be Alzner. Green looked terrific next to Alzner. Kundratek looked passable in the defensive zone next to Alzner, and had the confidence to be assertive in the offensive zone. Hell, now even Oleksy is playing well next to Alzner. He's working wonders with all of his partners.

But it seems to go beyond that. Carlson is getting out muscled when the other team is in transition, and is doing an awful job at boxing out his opposition in front of the net. While he tendency to be a pylon and out of position could be a result of not being paired with Alzner, his physical strength shouldn't have decreased without Karl. I just don't get it.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Carlson is just a lack of effort. IMO. Not the passing thing. He was inconsistent last year too. We called it a sophomore slump. Then, the playoffs started, and he gave a much better effort. He was cured.

I call it fat cat disease. Maybe sand bagging. Saving it up for the playoffs. Upping his game.

I bet he has never hit less in his career.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:17 AM
BobRouse

Caps #1 on the PP now.

The same sentiment regarding Carlson is the one that surrounded Holtby at the beginning of the year as well as MJ.

Again..these are young players. They are going to be inconsistent and are just cutting their teeth and need time to develop and mature fully.

Patience.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Foy

Quote:
Caps #1 on the PP now.

The same sentiment regarding Carlson is the one that surrounded Holtby at the beginning of the year as well as MJ.

Again..these are young players. They are going to be inconsistent and are just cutting their teeth and need time to develop and mature fully.

Patience.
4 different systems to learn in just over a year, probably easier for guys that have been around a while and learned different systems over and over.

We're seeing the same growing pains for the Caps that the Devils went through 2 years ago. Hopefully we get similar results in year 2.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:42 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
4 different systems to learn in just over a year, probably easier for guys that have been around a while and learned different systems over and over.

We're seeing the same growing pains for the Caps that the Devils went through 2 years ago. Hopefully we get similar results in year 2.
Good point. It compounds the issue when it comes to youth and them having to go through different systems and coaches within a brief span of time during their development.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Foy

Also, #2 on PP now after not scoring on the late cheapy by Kane. At least, according to ESPN.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:13 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I don't know if he ran the brellahandle in stops previous, but the hardest pass he will have is across his body into Ovi's wheelhouse. Turning his body and telegraphing what he wants to do - he can't miss Ovi c'mon. I could do it. Oates may well be drilling shorty alert on that one.

I think Ovi could do better in moving high to keep a passing lane open.

But looking at PP points isn't always telling. The play to Ovi may well be designed to be passed from Ribs and Nick, mixed in with looks to our goal ace Brouwer. Wouldn't that be how you draw it up?

That all said, I wouldn't mind seeing a LH D (Orlove) or one of Nick and Ribs tried up top for 1 stinking minute.