HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All Encompassing Tortorella Thread Pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
SO tired of shots from 75 degree and sharper angles. How often does this team get open shots from the slot? Y'know, between the circles - the PRIME scoring areas?

I'm sorry, but Rick Nash, Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards, Derek Stepan, Ryan Callahan, Carl Hagelin, etc. are a damn fine top six in terms of skill in today's NHL. Hell, the team overall has a lot more skill than last year. And yet they're still trying to score damn near every goal from beneath the goal line. So frustrating.
Or throwing pucks threw the crease to nobody.

That is an absolute delight...

Old
03-22-2013, 12:46 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
More JAM
We need MOAR JAM
Players need to be held accountable
Coaching is fine
More JAM

Old
03-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Who do you guys want as Head Coach?

I don't think guys like Kennan, Ruff, Terry Murray, Ron Wilson and Larry Robinson are upgrades over Torts.

The only guys with head coaching experience that I'd be interested in are Marc Crawford, Craig MacTavish (who Slats coached) and Brent Sutter. Can't think of any others

Old
03-22-2013, 03:48 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

I asked this in another thread. Are there any European coaches we could seriously look at bringing in?

Old
03-22-2013, 03:49 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post

I don't think guys like Kennan, Ruff, Terry Murray, Ron Wilson and Larry Robinson are upgrades over Torts.

The only guys with head coaching experience that I'd be interested in are Marc Crawford, Craig MacTavish (who Slats coached) and Brent Sutter. Can't think of any others
Any coach they would potentially bring in at this point would be an intermediate. So I would assume it would be like Schoenfield.

Sather would probably make a coaching decision over the summer.

If I could have anybody? I would try to poach Mike Babcock...

Old
03-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Any coach they would potentially bring in at this point would be an intermediate. So I would assume it would be like Schoenfield.

Sather would probably make a coaching decision over the summer.

If I could have anybody? I would try to poach Mike Babcock...
isnt tippet's contract up this summer? wouldnt mind him or babcock at all

Old
03-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Placid

My general feeling towards this is that this is a situation that we cant really sign our way out of (we've tried..), i see it as a fundamental fault with the system that is being employed, and the biggest problem with that system is that its as rigid as a block of ice. Also, there is no plan B, so its "do or die" with Torts at the helm.

Last year it sort of worked because of the player material that we had, but then we traded most of them away (Anisimov, Prust, Dubi, Feds, etc).

This year, not so much... The player material that the Rangers have is absolutely top notch, it just cannot be employed in a grinding fashion, its utterly unsuitable for most of the team (in my opinion anyway).

The most scary part is that Torts doesnt see that. Maybe he doesnt want to see it.. maybe he cannot coach any other style.. what do i know.. the Rangers are suffering though.. and they really shouldnt with the players that they have.

ah well.. rant for the day

Old
03-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Dorado*

Scott Gordon

Old
03-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Leetch2McDonagh27

Quote:

I'd take any other coach who actually practices a some offense, ANY offense. And that pretty much is anyone else......

Old
03-22-2013, 07:03 AM
NikC

What more do you need yo hear after Tortorellas recently stating that "they try to stay out of the way offensively" which is the understatement of his tenure. He tries to coach a team solely my the force of his will and personality. We look exactly like TB did the year he got canned.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Nac Mac Feegle

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
I heard his circle of friends, circle of trust is very small. I think it only consists of Sully.
Has anyone bothered to ask why?

What is going on in Tortorella's brain that he can only trust Sullivan and Schoenfeld (to an extent)? How can someone be coaching in the NHL for a couple of decades yet still have such a small circle of trust?

Old
03-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Nac Mac Feegle

vCash: 177
Quote:

You do not want Marc Crawford in any way, shape, or form. That guy is the biggest mental case in a sea a lunatic coaches.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
isnt tippet's contract up this summer? wouldnt mind him or babcock at all
Tippet's ok. But he is, similar to Torts, a defensive minded system orientated guy(granted a bit more creative one).

At the very least with Tippet, you don't have to worry about making the playoffs. But he hasn't had a huge amount of success there either.

Babcock would be amazing, but his contract is up in the 14-15 season. So he would have to be fired or ask to be released.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
You do not want Marc Crawford in any way, shape, or form. That guy is the biggest mental case in a sea a lunatic coaches.
Agreed, Crawford had almost no success post lock-out. We would be better off staying with Torts.

You need a coach who has had a good amount success in the post-05 lockout era.

or

A young guy who at least is current with gaming trends.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:41 AM
NikC

My feeling is that both the coach and the team know they are not conditioned enough, or prepared enough mentally to play the system to the way torts demands. The lockout is an excuse, but for a team like this built on such a stringent system employed my a thick head, its a valid excuse.

This team can't execute torts' battle plans consistently. They're doing it anyway because there is no other way, and they suck

Old
03-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
My feeling is that both the coach and the team know they are not conditioned enough, or prepared enough mentally to play the system to the way torts demands. The lockout is an excuse, but for a team like this built on such a stringent system employed my a thick head, its a valid excuse.

This team can't execute torts' battle plans consistently. They're doing it anyway because there is no other way, and they suck
I also think its because Teams have gotten smarter to how the Rangers play(which is predictable). There is a playbook to how the beat the Rangers it seems.

Most of our loses(and even our wins)the opposition has employed similar tactics to one another. Teams understand that if you can outnumber the Rangers along in the wall in their zone: You can essentially guarantee puck possession to the points. Since we rarely use the middle of the ice or make short controlled passes out of the zone...

Old
03-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Tippet's ok. But he is, similar to Torts, a defensive minded system orientated guy(granted a bit more creative one).

At the very least with Tippet, you don't have to worry about making the playoffs. But he hasn't had a huge amount of success there either.

Babcock would be amazing, but his contract is up in the 14-15 season. So he would have to be fired or ask to be released.
Hasn't had huge amount of success? Tippet would have won a Cup last year if not for a team called the Kings. And he did it with a team who has to be run by the league, yet he still made it to the final four. Yotes also won their division for the FIRST TIME EVER, first playoff round win since 1987 and went further than any other squad in team history.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Hasn't had huge amount of success? Tippet would have won a Cup last year if not for a team called the Kings. And he did it with a team who has to be run by the league, yet he still made it to the final four. Yotes also won their division for the FIRST TIME EVER, first playoff round win since 1987 and went further than any other squad in team history.
No, he hasn't had a lot of playoff success. He has two conference final appearances and the rest have been pretty much first round exits.

Btw, last years Yotes were riding a VERY hot Mike Smith in the playoffs...

Mind you, not saying Tippets a bad coach. But he still runs a defensive orientated system. He is basically a smarter version of Tom Renney.

Granted, Tippet wouldn't grind our players into a pulp like Torts does.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Dorado*

go to the Junior ranks Mark Hunter or Scott Gordon someone familiar with working with younger players .
With Hank , Staal. , McD , G , MDz your defense isn't going to completely suck if you start taking more chances offensively . This isn't the time but unless a cup win Torts is through here

Old
03-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
No, he hasn't had a lot of playoff success. He has two conference final appearances and the rest have been pretty much first round exits.

Btw, last years Yotes were riding a VERY hot Mike Smith in the playoffs...

Mind you, not saying Tippets a bad coach. But he still runs a defensive orientated system. He is basically a smarter version of Tom Renney.

Granted, Tippet wouldn't grind our players into a pulp like Torts does.
I think we have different definitions of success.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:30 AM
NikC

Quote:
I also think its because Teams have gotten smarter to how the Rangers play(which is predictable). There is a playbook to how the beat the Rangers it seems.

Most of our loses(and even our wins)the opposition has employed similar tactics to one another. Teams understand that if you can outnumber the Rangers along in the wall in their zone: You can essentially guarantee puck possession to the points. Since we rarely use the middle of the ice or make short controlled passes out of the zone...
yes. it sickens me how easy we are to play against. we give up the NZ and just fall back into this BS collapsing system, blocking shots, screening our goalie, and getting injured.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Jim Ramsay

He's gotta go... I know he won't this season but I think the Torts train has officially derailed..

What is this team doing well exactly?
-I know its been stated on here by a few people but when Torts said "We don't really practice the offense, we kind of leave that up to the players to work that out" it blew my mind

-The powerplay is downright terrible, the offense handles the puck like a hot potato and you don't think we should practice offense?

At times this season when the team was playing well he broke up hagelin/step/nash and kreider/miller/callahan..... he made changes just for the sake of it, I can't stand this.

-This team under torts officially peaked in the ECF last year....its all downhill from here if they stick with him as coach

Old
03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Offense NEEDS TO BE COACHED

Old
03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Crease

If I see another 3 on 2 where the puckhandler takes it outside the faceoff dots then hail mary's it toward the slot, I'm going to freak.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:48 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Offense NEEDS TO BE COACHED
he so showed his hand when opened his big mouth and put his foot right in it with that statement. He leaves the power play and the offensive responsibility solely on the players. how convenient. Calls out his stars, throws players under the bus in the media...

he's been exposed for what was in Tampa: a one-dimensional, blowhard.

Closed Thread