HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Evgeny Kuznetsov to Detroit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 01:03 AM
  #51
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Why do the Capitals retain Kuznetsov's rights, and at what point would they lose them? I thought a player had to sign within 2 years after being drafted.
Because until recent changes were made, drafted European player rights were retained until the player reached 31.

Now for Europeans it's four years from draft for 18/19 year olds, or 2 for 20+.

Which means that Kuznetsov turns UFA in 2014, and the only reason a team should trade for him is if they can get him to come over before then.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:58 AM
  #52
MW6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Halland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Because until recent changes were made, drafted European player rights were retained until the player reached 31.

Now for Europeans it's four years from draft for 18/19 year olds, or 2 for 20+.

Which means that Kuznetsov turns UFA in 2014, and the only reason a team should trade for him is if they can get him to come over before then.
Are you sure that includes the KHL? I don't think the Caps will lose his rights, never ever heard it mentioned on the Caps board

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:13 AM
  #53
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Because until recent changes were made, drafted European player rights were retained until the player reached 31.

Now for Europeans it's four years from draft for 18/19 year olds, or 2 for 20+.

Which means that Kuznetsov turns UFA in 2014, and the only reason a team should trade for him is if they can get him to come over before then.
You're wrong. Kuznetsov doesn't turn UFA, he never will. European players in CBA are players from countries who have accepted IIHF/NHL transfer agreement. Russia/KHL never did, therefore it's fair that rights for a player never expire. There was a arbitrary decision in regards to that few years ago, I don't have a link now on my mobile.

Otherwise Kuznetsov would've entered the draft again because it was 2 years for signing Euro players in the previous CBA. But he didn't, and nor did, for example, Alexey Emelin or Leo Komarov who was drafted when SM-Liiga and NHL didn't have agreement.

Here's the NHL/NHLPA letter that solved the issue:

Quote:
July 22, 2005

Ted Saskin
Executive Director and General Counsel
National Hockey League Players' Association
777 Bay Street, Suite 2400
Toronto, Canada M5G 2C8

Re: IIHF Player Transfer Agreement

Dear Ted:

This Letter Agreement is a supplement to the Collective Bargaining
Agreement ("CBA"), dated as of July 22, 2005, is incorporated therein and sets forth our agreement relating to the NHL's efforts to secure a new Player Transfer Agreement with the International Ice Hockey Federation ("IIHF").

1. The parties agree that the NHL's agreement to eliminate "defected
status" for European draftees is necessarily and expressly contingent on its ability to
negotiate a satisfactory IIHF Player Transfer Agreement, which is substantially consistent
with the terms of past Agreements. In the event the NHL is unable to negotiate a
satisfactory successor IIHF Agreement or make other comparable arrangements to allow
NHL Clubs the opportunity to sign European players, the changes to "defected status"
contemplated in Articles 8 and 10 of the CBA will automatically be tolled, and the parties
will consult regarding whether corresponding and resulting changes to the CBA should
be made.

2. The CBA provisions pertaining to "defected status" will be maintained "as is" in the CBA, but the understanding of the parties is that such provisions will have no further force or effect in the new CBA upon the completion of a new IIHF Player Transfer Agreement. Only in the event that no such replacement Player Transfer Agreement is successfully completed, shall such provisions have potential application on a basis to be negotiated by the parties.

3. The parties further agree to confer again no later than August 30, 2005, in the event a satisfactory Player Transfer Agreement has not yet been negotiated, to discuss the status of the NHL's efforts to negotiate a new Agreement, and next steps, to the extent any are necessary.

If this correctly sets forth our agreement, please sign one copy of this letter
and return it to me.

Yours very truly,
/s/ WILLIAM L. DALY
William L. Daly
Deputy Commissioner
National Hockey League

AGREED AND ACCEPTED:
/s/ TED SASKIN
Ted Saskin for the
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
PLAYERS' ASSOCIATION
Date: July 22, 2005
Since there was no information about any changes in this regard ("defected player" status) when new CBA was signed, I believe this is still applicable.


Last edited by fedfed: 03-22-2013 at 06:19 AM.
fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:18 AM
  #54
tony d
Follow your Nose
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,593
vCash: 500
A 2013 1st + Nyquist.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:22 AM
  #55
The Nose
#thefuture
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 7,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
A 2013 1st + Nyquist.
I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:30 AM
  #56
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB
 
fedfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow City
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
I'd do that in a heartbeat.
That's almost impossible, but that's one of the few Kuznetsov offers that wouldn't result in an immediate no right away. I think one more young piece (third pairing LD or prospect with 2nd pairing potential) would have to be included though.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:34 AM
  #57
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,661
vCash: 500
Lets think about this...

Caps have a huge need for top 6 forwards with skill. Kuznetsov is just that. From all accounts he looks like a stud and just maybe the best player not currently playing in the NHL.

Why on earth would they move him unless there is massive overpayment?

They waited this long to get him ready and he can step right in. Why would they trade him for draft picks and have to turn the clock back.

Detroit won't be able to pay what it will take and a middling 1st round draft pick and a decent/good prospect isn't going to come close. Kuznetsov is going to be an elite player who is NHL ready now.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
  #58
Wingsfan2965*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Alexei Marchenko will cross the pond at next summer.
Grand Rapids' defense is gonna be loaded a year from now.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM
  #59
Hush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 164
vCash: 500
Keep him Washington. Cherish him. Never let him go.

Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.