Interesting notes from being at the games tonight.
1. There were hardly any Wisconsin fans. At all. I was shocked. I think Mankato brought more, and there were only handfuls of them.
2. College hockey is the best atmosphere in hockey, at least in my opinion. Tonight in "non rivalry" games proved it again.
3. One of the 14 people there we saw wearing Wisconsin stuff "groped" a NoDak cheerleader and was removed from two sections over from us in the third period of the NoDak/CC game.
4. A fight almost broke out between 6 drunk Sioux fans in their 30s, and a Minnesota fan in his late 50s early 60s. An usher came in. Apparently, the older dude ran and told the usher, and got called out on his ********, but it was rather tense nonetheless.
5. The eating situation there sucks between games. Everything is jammed, and we ended up at Jimmy Johns on 7th because people were EVERYWHERE.
6. This makes me hate the B1G more, because this tournament is amazing and now it's the last one with all of the big guns in.
Can't wait for tomorrow, should be solid, though seeing NoDak go out tonight just reminds me how fickle hockey can be at times and I can see the U going out tomorrow night if they don't show the **** up and put CC away early (they hardly shoot).
Time for sleep, it's almost 4am...still buzzing after those games, and one was a total blowout.
Last edited by Paul Bunyan: 03-22-2013 at 04:53 AM.
But more importantly, Badger hockey fans would rather travel to a gimmicky spectacle than actual great hockey games.
There is just lack of hockey interest amongst Wisconsin fans this year. They went from averaging 14,000+ fans at home games a few years ago to just over 10,000 or 11,000 fans this year. It might have something to do with the economy but how does that explain why the basketball team always seems to have sold-out games? No one wants to go see a team that started 1-7-2. The average fan takes that and assumes they aren't very good despite the fact they have a similar record compared to the Goofs since Nov. 30th... Badgers 17-5-5 Goofs 17-5-3 (yes the badgers have played more games, I removed the Alabama-Huntsville games)
That play could of gone either way. The more I look at it he didn't exactly "throw" the stick. It looked like he went to poke check the player and the stick hit the defender slightly and he lost control of it.