HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 12:11 AM
HopelessOilFan

vCash: 500
dallas and nashville with regulation wins tonight.

We really need to string together a winning streak.

I feel like a single 3+ game winning streak could have us back into the thick of things... i just don't understand why we can't even come close.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:27 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post

I feel like a single 3+ game winning streak could have us back into the thick of things... i just don't understand why we can't even come close.
It definitely could. Everyone is so close this year, a streak of wins or losses will cause some major movement in the standings

Old
03-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

Because this still isn't a very good team. Unfortunately.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:07 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
every point counts and Pajaarvi is ready.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:07 AM
LaGu

Quote:

Think positive!

At least Calgary lost, now they will not surpass us by beating the BJ's tonight. Anaheim will beat Detroit which will put us in a "good" position seeing as we have two games less played (which we will win obviously) than most of the teams just ahead of us.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:19 AM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

It's either get on a hot streak or we are done.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:37 AM
grego

if they Oilers decide they really care and want to make the playoffs yes they can make it in.

But so far the whole team is not playing with any sense of urgency or desire. They are playing as if, due to the level of talent they can ride that into a guaranteed playoff spot. This is not the late 90s / 2000 wings club here in its prime that could try that technique to make the playoffs had they chosen to.

I keep hoping to see a team that is willing to show true desire to win every game. If somehow the team does this they will be in, but they need to do it soon and not wait til they lose a few and drop to the bottom again

Old
03-22-2013, 06:53 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
At least we can look at this at the end of the season and say they deserved to make it in or they didn't. Either scenario is possible here and their fate is in their own hands.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:16 AM
488fitter

We're still in decent shape as long as they convert the games in hand into points.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:18 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
We're still in decent shape as long as they convert the games in hand into points.
Problem is the coach only wants single points.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
if they Oilers decide they really care and want to make the playoffs yes they can make it in.

But so far the whole team is not playing with any sense of urgency or desire. They are playing as if, due to the level of talent they can ride that into a guaranteed playoff spot. This is not the late 90s / 2000 wings club here in its prime that could try that technique to make the playoffs had they chosen to.

I keep hoping to see a team that is willing to show true desire to win every game. If somehow the team does this they will be in, but they need to do it soon and not wait til they lose a few and drop to the bottom again
This is a load of BS. Every team wants to win and almost every player cares but that's not enough. The best teams dont just care more they play better, are smarter, use their skills and talents better. It's an emotional game built on aggression and momentum but the systems in the game are designed to turn mindless agression into a trap. You have to play smart to win in this league and we're still learning how to do that. How to play with aggression but not cost the team games.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Today!

We cheer for...

LA! +0.4%
Nashville! +0.1%
Vancouver! (ugh) +0.2%

2/3 ain't bad... But it cost us -0.6%.
Playoff odds down 0.3 to 17.7%

Today we cheer for...

Anaheim! +0.7%
Calgary... (ugh) +0.1% (Although Cbus winning would not change anything)

Old
03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Riverboat Danglers

12-6-1 is the magic number and its not the unrealistic. If we beat St Louis we have to win every 2 out of 3. Its doable but the team has to start playing with some desperation. We also need to start winning some games when we have the lead. I dont know how many times this year this team choked with a 2 goal lead. I still have faith that we can turn it around.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Halibut

Realistically after looking at the schedule I see about 7 more wins, possibly 9 or 10 if they start winning in ot or the shootout. They really have to win against all the teams they are ahead of now and hope that Anaheim has wrapped up a playoff spot and is coasting by the end.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Looking at their schedule I think it'll be a borderline miracle that they make it. Just not enough consistency. Too many games that go to OT/SO (both Oilers games and their competition) so even when they win outright... often several of the teams they are directly competing with for a playoff spot are getting pts as well.

It's obviously a special case this year because of the exclusively intra-conference schedule... 5 straight games with pts and they have really gone nowhere in the standings.

I think there's a much higher chance that they are sitting at 15th a week from now than in 8th... even though they are 3 pts away from both spots.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:16 PM
488fitter

There are also only 8 teams that have fewer losses in regulation then us. Unfortunately we suck after regulation. A record of 15-11-3 would sure look nicer.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Harley

no

It wouldn't let me just say no. lol

Could have used this net nanny on a few of my dates.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
This is a load of BS. Every team wants to win and almost every player cares but that's not enough. The best teams dont just care more they play better, are smarter, use their skills and talents better. It's an emotional game built on aggression and momentum but the systems in the game are designed to turn mindless agression into a trap. You have to play smart to win in this league and we're still learning how to do that. How to play with aggression but not cost the team games.
I actually kinda agree with grego. Maybe not the part about playing with more urgency means we'll definitely make it, but I do believe this team needs to play with more desire and passion.

That game against San Jose was the perfect opportunity for some of the players on this team to step up and show just how bad they want to win. Hall does this just about every game so I won't include him, but guys like Eberle, Hemsky, Whitney and even N. Schultz played that game as if it was the first week of the season and not a detrimental game that meant a lot for their playoff push.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:32 PM
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
You can call it that if you want, it doesn't matter to me.

I watched far less talented Oilers teams in the 90s some of those had coaches no better or even worse then Kreuger, and the teams did better and showed more passion for the game.

I watch the current Oilers and often it is like watching a bunch of Petr KIimas on the ice. Many talented players that show up for brief periods and drift and float the rest of the time.

A few Oilers play hard all the time like Hall, but we can't rely on just a couple players.

Till I see the whole team playing harder for a whole game I will call them a passionless team with no real desire to win.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:05 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Looking at their schedule I think it'll be a borderline miracle that they make it. Just not enough consistency. Too many games that go to OT/SO (both Oilers games and their competition) so even when they win outright... often several of the teams they are directly competing with for a playoff spot are getting pts as well.

It's obviously a special case this year because of the exclusively intra-conference schedule... 5 straight games with pts and they have really gone nowhere in the standings.

I think there's a much higher chance that they are sitting at 15th a week from now than in 8th... even though they are 3 pts away from both spots.
Bingo, this is what I have been saying for days now, and have had to defend my position, even though the math is pretty simple, people just don't get it or don't want to believe that the truth is that we need to win a BUNCH in a row, not just 2 out of every 3 games, CBJ is now 9-0-2 in their last 11 and SJ still has 2 games in hand on them, so they are still not even close to the playoffs...we are 3-0-2 in our last 5 (8 out of 10 points) and going nowhere fast. That should tell people that we need to go on a tear to make the playoffs, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears I guess.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:10 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

There's obviously something missing. We've seen games where this team can stay with the best teams in the league... usually only for short stretches though... a game... a few periods... but they can't sustain that.

It's either no passion/desire/fire on a team-wide basis... or lack of experience or simply not enough talent... yet. Probably a combination of all 3.

No simple fixes except to hope and have the patience to wait and see if the passion and consistent desire to win consistently comes when A) they gain more experience and B) the management adds pieces that fills holes that ups the level of talent on the team.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:18 PM
HopelessOilFan

Its not looking so good for us. If we can win our game tomorrow, then we move up to a tie for 10th with dallas, and 1 point behind columbus with a game in hand, but the sharks (The only team we can expect to have a chance to catch) are 3 points above us with the same amount of games played.

At this point, i'm just happy we're playing games that mean something, hopefully it'll teach the kids something they haven't experienced in the nhl.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:42 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
After tonights games

Pos. Team GP W L OTL PTS MN PTS MN W RMN PTS RMN W
1 Chicago 30 24 3 3 51 59 29.5 17 8.5
2 Anaheim 30 22 4 4 48 56 28 20 10
3 Minnesota 29 17 10 2 36 46 23 32 16
4 Los Angeles 30 17 11 2 36 44 22 32 16
5 Vancouver 30 15 9 6 36 44 22 32 16
6 Detroit 31 15 11 5 35 41 20.5 33 16.5
7 St. Louis 29 16 11 2 34 44 22 34 17
8 San Jose 29 13 10 6 32 42 21 36 18
9 Columbus 31 13 12 6 32 38 19 36 18
10 Dallas 30 14 13 3 31 39 19.5 37 18.5
11 Phoenix 31 13 14 4 30 36 18 38 19
12 Nashville 31 12 13 6 30 36 18 38 19
13 Edmonton 29 11 11 7 29 - - - -
14 Calgary 29 11 14 4 26 36 18 42 21
15 Colorado 29 11 14 4 26 36 18 42 21

MN PTS - Magic Number Points
MN W - Magic Number Wins
RMN PTS - Reverse Magic Number Points
RMN W - Reverse Magic Number Wins

Magic Number
For every point the Oilers receive or for every point that an opposition lose, their magic numbers go down. This magic number is set up to represent pure elimination, which means if the number reaches 0 the Oilers are guaranteed to finish at least 1 point ahead of the opponent so no tie breakers will be assessed.

Reverse Magic Number
For Every point the Oilers lose or for every point the opponents gain this number will go down. This magic number is set up to represent pure elimination, which means if the number reaches 0 the Oilers are guaranteed to finish at least 1 point below of the opponent so no tie breakers will be assessed.

Tie Breaker Rules

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season. NOTE: In standings a victory in a shootout counts as one goal for, while a shootout loss counts as one goal against.

03-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

The Oilers likely need 24-26 points in the next 19 games. Not impossible, but getting nearly to that point. The Oilers have to decide they're better than a .500 hockey club and play like it down the stretch. The last week of the season is particularly grueling for the Oilers, playing 5 games in 7 nights against some of the best teams in the conference.

Here's a possible scenario for the remaining 19 games that gets the Oilers into the playoffs. It would have to be a really inspired Oiler team:
St. Louis (Home) win 2
Nashville (Away) win 2
St. Louis (Away) OT 1
Columbus (Home) win 2
Vancouver (Home) loss
Calgary (Home) win 2
Calgary (Away) OT 1
Vancouver (Away) win 2
L.A. (Away) win 2
Anaheim (Away) loss
Phoenix (Home) win 2
Calgary (Home) win 2
Minnesota (Home) loss
Colorado (Away) win 2
Anaheim (Home) loss
Anaheim (Home) win 2
Chicago (Home) win 2
Minnesota (Away) loss
Vancouver (Home) win 2

Old
03-23-2013, 01:42 AM
timekeep

Are the Oilers even playing .500 hockey right now? With OT/SO pts, even is not points to games played ratio. I believe it is the ratio of points earned versus opponent's points earned in each game. Right now in the 29 games the Oilers have earned 29, versus their opponents earning 41 against them. They need to start winning in regulation more, they have only done that 7 times to date.

Closed Thread