HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps @ jets mar 21/13 8pm

Old
03-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
no one is comparing him to crosby

go away troll

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Monsterrain

This team is such a tease.

Monsterrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:05 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Kane is no doubt a Cap killer.
So is Ladd.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

It sure as hell feels good to win games like this, but the score is misleading. It wasn't as complete a game as the boxcars makes it seem. They were terrific in the neutral zone (though the Jets constants off-sides helped) and fore checked very well, but they were weak down low in the defensive zone and had prolonged periods where they didn't generate any offense.

Despite the shutout, I don't think any of the defensemen played particularly well in their own zone. The Jets were getting quality opportunities around the crease way too often. Holtby bailed them out of a couple, and Jets botched a few more (especially that Ladd chance towards the end of the 3rd). Oleksy, in particular, was disappointing. In part it's because he played about as well as anyone could have expected against Crosby and looked so strong with the puck in the Pittsburgh game, but tonight was a big letdown. He struggled to control the puck, had multiple turnovers (one of which was just terrible), spent too much time chasing the big hit, and took two minor penalties (the tripping could have been easily avoided).

And could Hillen go a single game without getting crunched into the boards over and over again?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Halpysback

The system looks good when the other team gives them everything but takes from them nothing.

It falls apart when the other team gives them nothing, but takes from them, everything

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:44 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

So many positive things. 8 in beast mode....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:59 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It sure as hell feels good to win games like this, but the score is misleading. It wasn't as complete a game as the boxcars makes it seem. They were terrific in the neutral zone (though the Jets constants off-sides helped) and fore checked very well, but they were weak down low in the defensive zone and had prolonged periods where they didn't generate any offense.

Despite the shutout, I don't think any of the defensemen played particularly well in their own zone. The Jets were getting quality opportunities around the crease way too often. Holtby bailed them out of a couple, and Jets botched a few more (especially that Ladd chance towards the end of the 3rd). Oleksy, in particular, was disappointing. In part it's because he played about as well as anyone could have expected against Crosby and looked so strong with the puck in the Pittsburgh game, but tonight was a big letdown. He struggled to control the puck, had multiple turnovers (one of which was just terrible), spent too much time chasing the big hit, and took two minor penalties (the tripping could have been easily avoided).

And could Hillen go a single game without getting crunched into the boards over and over again?
Mostly agree. Overrated game against the Thrash. But on Oleksy, I think you have to give the guy a break. He's been in the NHL all of 2 weeks and is already playing huge minutes against the best in the world. He was due a weak one, and really, if they can win his poor games 4-0, either he should suck more or he truly is the second coming of Orr.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:02 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
So many positive things. 8 in beast mode....
Wish he could play like that in all 3 zones. That would be unstoppable mode.

And oh yeah, Save the Tank!

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:56 AM
msrulo

We have a 1st ranked PP in the league now! But our pk is ranked 29th..

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:59 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Overrated game? Seemed like a dominate game for the Caps on the road. Sure the Caps had dry spells offensively, the Jets are an NHL team to, but at no time did it seem the Jets were gonna get back in it. Makes me wonder if I dreamed the game.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:59 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Back to Green run at the end of the game. One can say, how could he have expected being hit late? Now, there should be no excuse not to expect it.

He assumed he is not going to get hit. It's not that kind of sport.

Just throw a cross check that way after making the play, get the arm up. Butt end. Take a minor if you have to. It does not need to be to the face to be effective. And don't turn your back.

Leading late in a blowout vs a division rival, our core players need to protect themselves as a priority. It not only serves their best interest but also the teams.

It may be too late in Green's career to send a memo out to the league that says you come at him late in a blowout, you may not like it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchist View Post
Ovechkin has no business being compared to Crosby at this point. Of course the media is going to highlight the game's top stars. Let's see him crack the top 20 points leaderboard before we whine about the media overlooking him.
he does lead the league in PP goals.

I've never seen so many people blow off a win on the road against the team leading the division, especially one across 2 time zones.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:48 AM
txpd

i love it. they win 4-0. only because the other team didnt show up. a close look and the caps really sucked. its good. maybe with a little luck the thrashers will show up for the second game and kill the caps.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:49 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

WHAT?? hahaha Did you watch a different game or are you just lumping this game in to express your frustration for the entire season???

I'm in total agreement with WH. We DOMINATED.

The Jets got a couple of decent scoring chances all game. They were held to a season low 20 shots and not many were threatening.

They have been shutout twice all year..both by us. Again...their 20 shots were a season low. Did they play bad? Yep. But you have to give the Caps some credit for that.

We won the special teams in the end. We out goaltended them and generated more quality scoring chances in addition to outshooting them.

Oleksy played a gritty game and had a couple tough penalties..which we killed off and built momentum out of. And he won that bout IMO

Ovechkin looked like the Ovechkin of old. Green and Orlov were one man breakout machines.

Comon now...I can't see how anyone can nitpick that game.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Foy

yeah, when BobRouse is happy, you know the team played well.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
You know what I loved most? A tactic I wish more coaches would preach.

Up 2 goals, Ovi just started destroying the Jets. Knocked out a Dman to boot.

We imposed our will on them. Get up a few goals, then start hitting, its usually too much for teams to overcome. If they don't fight through that last battle front, they pack it in mentally. Yeah, its not going to be our night. When I saw that, I knew Ovi had stuck a fork in him.

Ladd IIRC had a great battle with Olek at the same time. I loved that Ovi came over and face washed the guy ending the scrum. Sit down son. Olek got abused but kept coming back for more.

That was maybe my favorite shift of the season.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
yeah, when BobRouse is happy, you know the team played well.
I am kinda like an oracle when it comes to hockey so ...

One thing that I observed...

In the 3rd one of the few goalmouth scrambles the Jets had all night was due to Kane checking Green (no one really had the puck and it was a mad scramble in front) right into Holtby...

A play very very similar to what Ovie did to Hal Gil a few years back. Somehow I think if the Jets scored it would have counted...

That call NEVER goes our way. That last time a "goalie interference" type call went our way was in the ECQF in 98. Ever since we've been on the short end of that stick

Old
03-22-2013, 08:45 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Agreed about the physicality. It works as well from a psychological standpoint for tonight's game. The Caps could roll four lines and remain a little fresher as the 'Peg had to keep pushing until goals 3 and 4 were scored.

The Ovechkin hit behind the goal was great, but the one along the side board was simply monsterous.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Green HAS to protect himself better there. Late in a game up 4, you cross check the guy. Get the stick and elbows up, bring a tear to Dale's eye. Its a weakness in his game that results in injuries.
Exactly what I thought when I saw Kane take those purposeful strides toward Green. CSN didn't even show the hit, but you knew he was running Green - Mikey has got to put the butt-end of his stick into Kane's solar plexus there. Yeah, that's pretty fuggin dirty, but that's exactly what Kane's hit was.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I am kinda like an oracle when it comes to hockey so ...

One thing that I observed...

In the 3rd one of the few goalmouth scrambles the Jets had all night was due to Kane checking Green (no one really had the puck and it was a mad scramble in front) right into Holtby...

A play very very similar to what Ovie did to Hal Gil a few years back. Somehow I think if the Jets scored it would have counted...

That call NEVER goes our way. That last time a "goalie interference" type call went our way was in the ECQF in 98. Ever since we've been on the short end of that stick
You mean like Kunitz cross-checking Varly in the throat, getting fined for it, but the goal still standing? Or Knuble's goalie interference in the 3rd period of game 7 when he didn't touch the goalie nor go into the crease, and the goal was waived off.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I think Ovechkin has definitely had better games this year. Last night's was one of his better ones, but I'm not sure why people are picking now to use "beast mode" and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
i love it. they win 4-0. only because the other team didnt show up. a close look and the caps really sucked.
Isn't that interpretation vindicated by the fact that it's been pretty true all year? The Thrashers are actually one of the better teams they've beaten, and the Thrashers are terrible. They're like 8-3 against the Southeast and horrible against everyone else.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:04 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
You mean like Kunitz cross-checking Varly in the throat, getting fined for it, but the goal still standing? Or Knuble's goalie interference in the 3rd period of game 7 when he didn't touch the goalie nor go into the crease, and the goal was waived off.
Far more than that too. The year we made the first playoff run.. we had a goal waived off vs Tampa because flash got a tiny stick on one of their dmen who bumped into his own goalie.

The 8 game losing streak a couple years ago pretty much started because we had a goal waived off with 20 seconds left vs the Stars (Carlson got it) due to bogus interference.

Ofcourse there is game 7 vs the Flyers and that odious play.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Orlov didn't look nearly as out of place on the left side as I was led to believe.

Laich is 934768123658275687296827934786 times better than any of the other Caps LWs. His passing ability is very underrated.

Johansson had maybe the best game of his career IMO. He looks so much stronger and more confident since healing up. It's even to the point where I no longer chalk it up as an automatic loss when he goes to the boards.

Holtby bailed them out a few times, but that's what you need from goaltending if the team is going anywhere good.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Far more than that too. The year we made the first playoff run.. we had a goal waived off vs Tampa because flash got a tiny stick on one of their dmen who bumped into his own goalie.

The 8 game losing streak a couple years ago pretty much started because we had a goal waived off with 20 seconds left vs the Stars (Carlson got it) due to bogus interference.

Ofcourse there is game 7 vs the Flyers and that odious play.
Yeah I remember that, Ovechkin was called for the interference.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i love it. they win 4-0. only because the other team didnt show up. a close look and the caps really sucked. its good. maybe with a little luck the thrashers will show up for the second game and kill the caps.
Similar comments when they beat the Hurricanes at the VC 3-0. Team was lucky because the Canes were missing several significant players due to injuries.

Caps win in Raleigh you have Tripp Tracy saying something about it not being a meaningful game.

No longer the Washington Capitals but rather the Washington Dangerfields, we get no respect.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote