HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

What will the NHL Canadian TV deal look like?

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Swarez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Another article on the same deal. This one suggest that TSN has a new deal with the CFL for $40M per season. They say that this is up from $15M in previous years.

http://sports.ca.msn.com/top-stories...broadcast-deal

This makes you wonder how much the NHL will end up with.
Sheer curiosity does anyone young in Canada watch the CFL anymore?

Me and my bro's (in our 20's) watch exactly 0 of it, while my dad is a casual fan.
Family in Edmonton very similar, young guys don't watch at all, but there parents do. Not a single one of my friends pays it any attention either. No talk in the office, gym, etc.

NFL on other hand, is everywhere.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Hopefully CBC stays.

I think they do the best job of presenting the games out of all 3 (TSN, Sportsnet, HNIC) But it's just some of the personalities and the incredible Leaf bias that drives alot of the country crazy.

Nonetheless I couldn't imagine my NHL experience without them, I really enjoy watching hockey on Saturdays, and in the playoffs. Especially since CBC does alot of extra things like After hours, Coaches Corner, The Hot Stove, Inside Hockey, Hockey Day in Canada, exc. That makes them appealing to the veiwing audience.

Although I suspect that Rogers and Bell (Rogers especially since they have none) Will make a big push to get more playoff games. And I would think also, that Rogers will do as much as they can to retain the regional viewing rights, as I would think Bell/TSN would love to get the regional rights to the Leafs.

I haven't really followed it much so this is my hunches. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Above all else though I am just hoping HNIC stays, and they don't lose too much of the playoffs or the Finals, but I do think the other two will do there best to grab whatever they can.

Last edited by Sergei Shirokov: 03-22-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old
03-22-2013, 04:53 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
I can see Rogers buying the HNIC brand from CBC And Sportsnet teaming up with CBC for a second rights deal. HNIC brand would be used across all SN networks and CBC.
That would be interesting actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I wonder if Netflix is going for a piece of the action.
Lol nice

Old
03-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Sheer curiosity does anyone young in Canada watch the CFL anymore?

Me and my bro's (in our 20's) watch exactly 0 of it, while my dad is a casual fan.
Family in Edmonton very similar, young guys don't watch at all, but there parents do. Not a single one of my friends pays it any attention either. No talk in the office, gym, etc.

NFL on other hand, is everywhere.
Don't know what the demographic is, I'm guessing 25-40, but the ratings definitely gave the league a lot of leverage in negotiating this new deal. I think they could have brought CBC and Rogers into it if they wanted to.

I had season tickets for the Lions during my early to mid 20s from 07-09. I'm 30 now, can't afford seasons tix, but still watch every game on TV when I can and go when I can afford to. All my friends in their 20s are CFL fans as well. I'd say the demographic at Lions games is getting younger too.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

The regional issue for the leafs is a non issue. Bell and Rogers will split all the games equally when the next contact comes up. That's the exact reason the two rivals got together to buy the team.

Just judging by the number of ex CBC personalities that ended up at sportsnet, it makes me think there will be an arrangement between them for the new deal. There were talks of adding a sunday national game, which could coincide with nbc's sunday games. I could see rogers and cbc coming together to show those games.

I think bell will make a huge push to get the stanley cup finals and the saturday package.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Darlotto99

I think CBC and Rogers team up for the second national package with Bell/TSN retaining its current deal. Maybe a new Sunday night games on Sportsnet

Old
05-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Don't know what the demographic is, I'm guessing 25-40, but the ratings definitely gave the league a lot of leverage in negotiating this new deal. I think they could have brought CBC and Rogers into it if they wanted to.

I had season tickets for the Lions during my early to mid 20s from 07-09. I'm 30 now, can't afford seasons tix, but still watch every game on TV when I can and go when I can afford to. All my friends in their 20s are CFL fans as well. I'd say the demographic at Lions games is getting younger too.
In Winnipeg, Section S, the student section, was "THE" section to be in at games if you sat across it, it would buzz for the entire game.

EAST SIDE SUCKS

as for the TV deal, I bet TSN looks at expanding to more weekdays.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Shoey
Hello.

I'm American, so I'm not going to pretend to have any idea how this would shape out.

but the talk of CBC losing Hockey Night in Canada is enough to send me into a depression, I've gotten those games here in Buffalo my whole life and it's a huge reason I grew to love hockey as a kid.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
In Winnipeg, Section S, the student section, was "THE" section to be in at games if you sat across it, it would buzz for the entire game.

EAST SIDE SUCKS

as for the TV deal, I bet TSN looks at expanding to more weekdays.
(Psst... The chant is WEST SIDE SUCKS......)

Closed Thread