HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 04:54 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
where the hell did lowetide and icedragoon go
Lowetide is around, WHen Draggon retired from her HR position I think she found better things to do

Old
03-22-2013, 07:30 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Your not looking at the big enough picture, look at all the trades from 2010 until now and tell me Tambo has been trying to improve this team! Hell last year Grossmann went for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. Which would be Mitch Moroz and Jujhar Khaira. I would gladly give up both right now for an actual NHL d man.
Maybe they didn't want to give up multiple picks for a very average player?

Old
03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Unfortunately, he'll go to a legit playoff contender. I don't understand why he's available though. Inexplicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Impending UFA. Probably asking for the moon on an extension.

I agree with dnicks. I have had concerns about Clarkson. People love his game today, but lets keep in mind he's had a history of looking really good and then falling of the edge of the earth.

Point and case outside the first dozen games he has 4 points. 1 goal in last 17 game. This was a guy that was rumored to get an easy 5mil over 4-5 years. I can see why Lou would look at moving him.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Your not looking at the big enough picture, look at all the trades from 2010 until now and tell me Tambo has been trying to improve this team! Hell last year Grossmann went for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. Which would be Mitch Moroz and Jujhar Khaira. I would gladly give up both right now for an actual NHL d man.
Would you have made that deal if Grossman walked away July 1st?

Old
03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I agree with dnicks. I have had concerns about Clarkson. People love his game today, but lets keep in mind he's had a history of looking really good and then falling of the edge of the earth.

Point and case outside the first dozen games he has 4 points. 1 goal in last 17 game. This was a guy that was rumored to get an easy 5mil over 4-5 years. I can see why Lou would look at moving him.
hey man thats 1 more goal than ryan clowe has this year and people would give up a 1st round pick for him.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
hey man thats 1 more goal than ryan clowe has this year and people would give up a 1st round pick for him.
The thing is someone is going to pay for both those guys. I want nothing to do with either, unless come July 15th they are both UFA's and change their asking price.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:18 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
me neither, both bring size and flash in the pan offence. I would rather have someone that is a legit player that can help us every night, especially for hemsky/1st round picks etc.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
The thing is someone is going to pay for both those guys. I want nothing to do with either, unless come July 15th they are both UFA's and change their asking price.
This is why I've suggested deals with Florida, because guys there have some time left, so you could still improve not and going forward.

Get Kopecky, Mattias and Kuba(if he'll wave) you don't lose guys and you get better now.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:35 AM
ponokanocker

We need to be focusing on spending money for a top pairing D man, not a top 6 forward. Considering how much money we already have tied up front, with even more coming, the last thing we need to do to our cap situation is signing a Clowe or Clarkson. Once we get a legit top pairing D, our F's will look much better.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:39 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
We need to be focusing on spending money for a top pairing D man, not a top 6 forward. Considering how much money we already have tied up front, with even more coming, the last thing we need to do to our cap situation is signing a Clowe or Clarkson. Once we get a legit top pairing D, our F's will look much better.
We probably are, problem is if you can't get top pairing d-men do you just ignore a potential top 6 trade because you might get a top pairing d-men later?

Old
03-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Agree with this. I watched a couple of Canadiens' games this week and was really struck by their D's ability to move the puck to their forwards crisply compared to the Oilers' crew, who just seem hopeful to chip the puck a few inches over the blue line. Splash out for a top 4 d. Fix the bottom 6. Get a decent back up goalie who could step in as a 1B. This shouldn't be that hard.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This is why I've suggested deals with Florida, because guys there have some time left, so you could still improve not and going forward.

Get Kopecky, Mattias and Kuba(if he'll wave) you don't lose guys and you get better now.
I agree

Old
03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
I agree
Good times, I'm like a broken clock. I just look at what those additions would be versus what they would subtract and it just makes sense, plus I don't know the Oilers are at the moving significant assets for a rental to put them over the top stage.

I would still do something like

To FLA: Peckham, Hartikainen, Hamilton and 2nd

To EDM: Kuba, Kopecky and Mattias

Old
03-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Good times, I'm like a broken clock. I just look at what those additions would be versus what they would subtract and it just makes sense, plus I don't know the Oilers are at the moving significant assets for a rental to put them over the top stage.

i hesitantly agree to this, which means its fairly even I imagine.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:00 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

I honestly don't know if that's fair value from Tallon's point of view or not, but I do wonder if he wants more picks.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
I honestly don't know if that's fair value from Tallon's point of view or not, but I do wonder if he wants more picks.
Maybe which would be fine in my mind (not the 1st though), but I was just thinking younger, cheaper players to fill spots.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:06 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Maybe which would be fine in my mind (not the 1st though), but I was just thinking younger, cheaper players to fill spots.
I was more do they want Peckham or a 4th?

Like I said tough to say as Florida fans thought their rebuild was over, but it's far from over at this point and tallon could just try load up on picks once again.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:09 AM
joestevens29

So Dan Ellis out at least 7 days. Not suggesting we trade them Bulin or anything, but what are their options?

Old
03-22-2013, 10:16 AM
oilers_smyth_94

)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
That Nick Schultz for Talbot trade is something I could see Philly doing. Bring in some veteran depth for a team lacking it on the blue line.

Great way to dump a defenseman overpaid by 2M with a valuable bottom-6er
I'd be fine with a trade like that but you gotta tell me we'd get a defenseman to adequately replace Schultz. I don't want a Peckham or a Teubert trying to fill out our weak defense.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
So Dan Ellis out at least 7 days. Not suggesting we trade them Bulin or anything, but what are their options?
Depends on Ward's status, if he's still a ways away, I would say Boucher/Leighton from Philly is probably more likely, but not a terrible option for them, Khabby.

I wonder if you could sweeten the deal by eating his contract.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
We probably are, problem is if you can't get top pairing d-men do you just ignore a potential top 6 trade because you might get a top pairing d-men later?
Considering the 2 players being proposed, yes. They will cost a bundle. We are already at the point where we need to cut salary from the F group to help the blueline. If we bring in another $4M-$5M player, we are going to have to cut even more salary out of the blueline. This team is already going to have to cut its salary down this summer if we simply retain all our current players. If we are adding even more salary to the F group, we will have next to nothing on the back end. We already have 3 1st rounders, plus Gagner and Eberle up front. We don't need to add even more expensive players to that group.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Agree with this. I watched a couple of Canadiens' games this week and was really struck by their D's ability to move the puck to their forwards crisply compared to the Oilers' crew, who just seem hopeful to chip the puck a few inches over the blue line. Splash out for a top 4 d. Fix the bottom 6. Get a decent back up goalie who could step in as a 1B. This shouldn't be that hard.
Yes, this + the Blackhawks - look at their D core. Can't compare us to Chi or Pitt when they have solid D through their top 6 +.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:22 AM
SchultzSquared

Quote:

So if you are the Oilers are you trading Kuba, Kopecky and Matthias for Michael Caruso, Scott Timmins, John McFarland and a 2nd...

Old
03-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
If the AVS lose the next couple and are 10 points back by deadline... I hope Tambo targets Hejda for our extras..

Hartikainen + Peckham ?

COL will not be in our group next year so it wouldnt matter if Harti becomes a beast down the road.

More than happy with Czech duo of Smid-Hejda as our top pairing.
Bumps J.Schultz down to 3rd pairing where he should be at this point of his career.
and Petry to 2nd pairing where he belongs.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
So if you are the Oilers are you trading Kuba, Kopecky and Matthias for Michael Caruso, Scott Timmins, John McFarland and a 2nd...
Different situation, Florida is a team that looks to save money where they can. Granted the prosposal might not be reality, it's not like we'd have to give 2 1sts, Prv, and Klefbom for those guys.

Closed Thread