HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian, the Bold and Beautiful

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Don't know why people want Talbot. Dumont is a carbon copy and cheaper.
I loved Dumont from the minute we picked him. High scoring french Junior *******. Great pick. He will be important to this team.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:10 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
He was terrible for two period, but if you think it was bad in the 3rd, that's just dumb.

And I was updating all the faceoff stats, so nice try fella.

PS. 48.2% in the dot isn't exactly complimenting someone either.
In fairness, his glove grab and feed to Gio was pure brilliance. There are very few guys in the NHL who can do that. The little guy does that **** all the time.

Let's see how he does in the PO, that's where I'll judge him. Because now it's not about reg season, it's how all of our guys play in the PO.

And I'll judge every other Hab on the same standard this year too.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:10 AM
No Style Points

Some stats:

5th in Goals for per game (3.17)

7th in Goals against per game (2.43)

3rd in 5-on-5 for/against ratio (1.43)

Is this real life?

IMO, the only area where we stand to improve is on the penalty kill. If we find a way to improve there...watch out

Old
03-22-2013, 10:12 AM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
In fairness, his glove grab and feed to Gio was pure brilliance. There are very few guys n the NHL who can do that. The little guy does that **** all the time.

Let's see how he does in the PO, that's where I'll judge him. Because now it's not about reg season, it's how all of our guys play in the PO.
Hm, I would've thought glove-to-stick was actually pretty easy to do. O snap you meant the pass? Ya the pass was a beauty.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I think Dumont should get the 4th line role instead of White even with Prust and Bourque back, no? and i'm getting tired of Travis Moen please trade him for a HW.
Panique pas. I've said it before: Moen had better be a monster in the PO this year, including scoring timely goals, or he is gone. We got Moen for exactly this season, and the PO when it counts. Let's see what he does.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:25 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I think a lot of people have the illusion that the only way a team can win is if they dominate their adversary 3to1 in shots and never ever give away a scoring chance.
The so called negativity is based on 20 years of disappointment. No guy here over 40 is gonna be suckered just yet. Sorry bout that. it's called caution, and managing expectations.

And further, if you want a cup, you'd better expect Habs to dominate in the regular season. That is what cup winners do.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:36 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
What would your lineup be when Bourque and Prust are healthy?

gonna put the habs captain on the fourth line? Going to put the habs second leading scorer? Going to put one of the two offensive power forwards on the team on the fourth line?

Putting prust on the 4th line has nothing to do or reflect with his contributions to this team, but rather the role he fills. Ryder, Gio, Bourque, Galchenyuk or whoever else does not belong on the 4th line. It will be prust who is sent there cause he can play that role to perfection.

A fourth line of Prust Dumont Armstrong/White can go up against any line 5 on 5 and compete. It will be valuable. Not to mention Prust can play on any line at any given time in the game if policing is needed.
Watch how Prust will make Dumont better too. The guys is fantastic with rookies. What a great signing. Everyone stop panicking. Prust will play on the fourth and make it a great line. And he'll be playing on the third line or second late in games.

He's making cash, playing for a great team, and knows his role. What's the problem here?

Old
03-22-2013, 11:09 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I don't think we'll see Galchenyuk alot in the playoff in terms of icetime, then again it's normal he's still in a learning curve.
You may be surprised. 19 year old legs can be very valuable in the PO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The success of this team might put bergevin in a tough spot. Do you take the success of this season and make moves to make a legitimate playoff run? If so, he can't rely on Diaz coming back, and would be in the market for a top 4 D. The team might not get better than they are right now under bergevin's watch. Its been a magical season.
Not a tough spot for Bergy at all. No one expected Habs to make the PO this year. Bergy can make an OK deadline pickup, without giving up youth or picks, and go 1 or 2 rounds without shame. Maybe 3.

He's in a fantastic position. He has no need to win it all this year. Everyone knows this.

It is this summer and next year that the pressure will come. Expectations will be much higher.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Not a tough spot for Bergy at all. No one expected Habs to make the PO this year. Bergy can make an OK deadline pickup, without giving up youth or picks, and go 1 or 2 rounds without shame. Maybe 3.

He's in a fantastic position. He has no need to win it all this year. Everyone knows this.

It is this summer and next year that the pressure will come. Expectations will be much higher.
Expectations are adjusted very, very quickly. Fair or not, pressure is already there, 'cause if we can do it now, why can't we do it in two months? A solid 2nd round or 3rd round PO exit would be okay, but a quick 1st round defeat? Not at this point. Fans have already inhaled too much winning oxygen to accept less. Once the playoffs start we will expect the same as the other 15 teams - to win.

That said, I agree that the team and Bergevin have given us far more than we ever could've expected, regardless of what happens in the PO. But just watch the nasty articles and second-guessing that come out if we bomb in round-one. Habs fans suffer from worse periods than the actual team.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Panique pas. I've said it before: Moen had better be a monster in the PO this year, including scoring timely goals, or he is gone. We got Moen for exactly this season, and the PO when it counts. Let's see what he does.
Moen is lacking something this year, he is not the same player, he needs to pick it up big time. The Habs are driven by youth and our vets need to keep contributing. In the past, our young guys never got the chance and we won or lost with the older players. It's refreshing to see the energy from Eller,both Gally's and others. This would have never happened under Martins coaching.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
waitin425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Expectations are adjusted very, very quickly. Fair or not, pressure is already there, 'cause if we can do it now, why can't we do it in two months? A solid 2nd round or 3rd round PO exit would be okay, but a quick 1st round defeat? Not at this point. Fans have already inhaled too much winning oxygen to accept less. Once the playoffs start we will expect the same as the other 15 teams - to win.

That said, I agree that the team and Bergevin have given us far more than we ever could've expected, regardless of what happens in the PO. But just watch the nasty articles and second-guessing that come out if we bomb in round-one. Habs fans suffer from worse periods than the actual team.
I hope you are wrong. I want this team to win it all, but when I rewind my outlook only 2 months ago....this season is such a bonus for us!! Lets enjoy it! If we bow out early, then lets have a good draft and keep building our young depth.

Bergeron and Therrien have done such a good job turning changing the culture of this club, I for one will root for them to be given the time to build a Champion.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
You may be surprised. 19 year old legs can be very valuable in the PO.

I'm not really talking about the public expectations. I agree that this is a honeymoon period, and this season will be deemed a major success barring an utter collapse, and that next year will have very grand expectations. But it will be interesting to see how the team responds to those expectations because that can be tricky too.

But I'm talking more about the idea that this season could be as good as it gets for the habs under his watch. Sure, the team looks to have a bright future, but even if the team gets better on paper, it could be difficult to replicate a season like this. With that in mind, I think it does put MB in a bit of conundrum, and he has to make a decision if he wants to accelerate the "process" to make a run this year.

We will be able to gauge what route MB decides to take according to his aggressiveness at the deadline. Personally, I'd lean towards standing pat (no major additions) and letting the chips fall where they may, and my gut says that is exactly what will happen, but I'm just throwing out alternative thinking models.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Kurplunk

Very satisfying,,

Old
03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Joe Cole

Bergevin can change the Habs culture and mindset, but no one can change the fans mindset.... besides the media, and they have their own agenda which is not tied to wins or losses.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Where are the Gionta haters?

Probably with the Bourque haters.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:38 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

Bourque earned his hate last season.

Gionta really did nothing other than not be tall to be hated by many.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I'm so sick of the word haters. Any way to ban that word on these forums? Haha.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 691
If Gorges can stop worrying about trying to be the captain and verbal leader of this team and get back to blocking shots and playing better the PK will improve and this team will improve even more!

Old
03-22-2013, 03:17 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:

They're still here.

The guy looked pathetic for the 15 first game of the season because he wasn't going to the net at all. Now he started doing that again, and guess what, it pays off!

Criticizing a player's performance is something that is going to happen on a hockey board.

There are so many posters here than don't say anything about hockey but keep criticizing those "haters", who just happen to do exactly what this board has been designed for in the first place.

And hey, while we're at it, you're clearly a Subban hater, for screaming at him for a penalty he didn't even take the other night. WHERE ARE YOU SUBBAN HATER?!!! HIDING WITH MARKOV HATERS?!!!

Look, I did it too. As easy as that. Still lame as ****.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
If Gorges can stop worrying about trying to be the captain and verbal leader of this team and get back to blocking shots and playing better the PK will improve and this team will improve even more!
I think its unfair to single out one player on the PK. The players deserve blame for alot of really weak clearing attempts, but the coaches also deserve blame because their tactics are not working.

Personally, I think our wingers are too passive in the box formation. I favour the high pressure approach especially on the point, and the half boards.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
They're still here.

The guy looked pathetic for the 15 first game of the season because he wasn't going to the net at all. Now he started doing that again, and guess what, it pays off!

Criticizing a player's performance is something that is going to happen on a hockey board.

There are so many posters here than don't say anything about hockey but keep criticizing those "haters", who just happen to do exactly what this board has been designed for in the first place.

And hey, while we're at it, you're clearly a Subban hater, for screaming at him for a penalty he didn't even take the other night. WHERE ARE YOU SUBBAN HATER?!!! HIDING WITH MARKOV HATERS?!!!

Look, I did it too. As easy as that. Still lame as ****.
Please.

Gionta wasn't scoring much at the beginning of the season so, predictably, this board's inner-need to always scapegoat someone arose. It's tiresome and reactionary, and that's why others constantly laugh at how "bipolar" our fanbase is.

Bold proclamations that players are done, that they should be traded, that their captaincy should be stripped, that they no longer belong in the top 6 off a small sample size is as fairweather as it gets. People lack serious perspective on these boards and if you don't like that I'm calling them out then tough luck, friend.

I'm thankful the people in charge of our fine organization aren't as reactionary as some members of this board. I understand the purpose is to discuss and dissect players, but it's one thing to do that and entirely another to scapegoat and label players like we constantly do (Price doesn't steal games, Bourque is lazy, Gionta is done, Subban is dumb/greedy, Markov is finished, Desharnais is too small, Eller is a career 3rd-liner, Kaberle is an AHLer, etc).

Subban took a penalty that directly cost us the game, I really don't see the relation between criticizing him for a stupid play and saying something like he doesn't belong on this team anymore as a result.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I think its unfair to single out one player on the PK. The players deserve blame for alot of really weak clearing attempts, but the coaches also deserve blame because their tactics are not working.

Personally, I think our wingers are too passive in the box formation. I favour the high pressure approach especially on the point, and the half boards.
I can't remember but I don't think last year they were an aggressive PK team. From what I can remember it was a whole lot of defencemen worrying about the cross crease pass and forwards just trying to block shots from the point allowing Price to worry about the rest.

Just not working as well this year, so it would probably be good to change it up before the playoffs.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:19 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Please.

Gionta wasn't scoring much at the beginning of the season so, predictably, this board's inner-need to always scapegoat someone arose. It's tiresome and reactionary, and that's why others constantly laugh at how "bipolar" our fanbase is.

Bold proclamations that players are done, that they should be traded, that their captaincy should be stripped, that they no longer belong in the top 6 off a small sample size is as fairweather as it gets. People lack serious perspective on these boards and if you don't like that I'm calling them out then tough luck, friend.

I'm thankful the people in charge of our fine organization aren't as reactionary as some members of this board. I understand the purpose is to discuss and dissect players, but it's one thing to do that and entirely another to scapegoat and label players like we constantly do (Price doesn't steal games, Bourque is lazy, Gionta is done, Subban is dumb/greedy, Markov is finished, Desharnais is too small, Eller is a career 3rd-liner, Kaberle is an AHLer, etc).

Subban took a penalty that directly cost us the game, I really don't see the relation between criticizing him for a stupid play and saying something like he doesn't belong on this team anymore as a result.
Gionta's level of effectiveness will only go down as time goes by. That's a reality. Never have I once suggested we trade him this season, but eventually parting ways with him, whether it's this summer, next season, or just by not renewing his contract, must be something that is considered by the front-office. Especially with Gallagher's coming out party and Desharnais being signed long-term.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Andy

Quote:
Please.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

I'd trade Bourque for a 7th. Bourque should be bough out before Kaberle! lololololol.

Bunch of dummies.

Closed Thread