HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Last member of '94 team retires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 08:49 AM
  #26
Parker
Registered User
 
Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I talk about it often, but Kovalev made one of the most unreal passes I've ever seen in hockey, anywhere. AHL 1993, Baltimore, the last season the Portland Pirates were the Baltimore Skipjacks. Kovalev was sent down to Binghamton during that horrendous '93 season. The Bing team had the best record in Pro hockey, team was stacked with AHL all stars and a future HOF'er in Zubov.

I was one of a few dozen in the stands, sitting two rows away from Neil Smith and Larry Pleau. Bing goes on the PP and Kovalev gets the puck on the right side boards, before anyone can blink Kovalev freezes the whole arena with a cross ice diagonal pass right on the tape to Craig Duncanson who's sitting on the doorstep and taps in a one timer. Even Duncanson looked up in amazement as to what just happened. I looked up at Smith and Pleau and we all just shook our heads and smiled, I gave Smith the thumbs up and he nodded back. Classic moment.
I was only 14 during that season and wasn't as knowledgeable about hockey at the time, but I'll always remember seeing Kovalev playing in Binghamton and instantly recognizing that he was just on another level compared to everyone else he was playing with. He became my favorite player, I still remember having his "Calder Candidate" hockey card and being sad when he got traded away. I've always wished I could get my hands on a Kovalev Binghamton Rangers jersey.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:59 AM
  #27
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Do I sense Kovy's jersey going up to the rafters?


No, seriously. I ask. With this franchise, you never know.
No way.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:00 AM
  #28
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
[Post actually about Kovalev retiring]

I wasn't born until a month after winning the cup so I obviously didn't get to truly experience his contribution. But from everything I've seen from that year, he was a hell of a player. Congrats on a great run
He was never as good as he could have been. Easily one of the best pure talents I've ever seen.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:02 AM
  #29
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No way.
LOL. Methinks the youngins probably dont remember how, outside of the '94 run, Kovalev's play teetered between frustrating and disgusting during his 2 stints here.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:05 AM
  #30
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
LOL. Methinks the youngins probably dont remember how, outside of the '94 run, Kovalev's play teetered between frustrating and disgusting during his 2 stints here.
His second stint was a disgrace. Never acted like he wanted to be here.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
  #31
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
His best years were in Pittsburgh. That 2001 Penguins team was stacked after Lemieux came back.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:24 AM
  #32
Parker
Registered User
 
Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 539
vCash: 500

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:55 AM
  #33
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
Pretty sure it was Niklas Sundstrom whom Maclean slashed and broke his arm.
You're right. Kovalev was hurt against Tampa I think.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:27 AM
  #34
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
My Ranger memories go back to 1958.

Season ticket holder in the blueseats from 1969-1976.

I've raised two hardcore Ranger fans, one who is a regular poster here.

Met my wife going to a playoff game in 1970.

Still as fanatic a fan as ever, the Rangers have been one of the great passions of my life. Aside from personal events, 1994 is one of the highlights of my life and I will never, ever tire of it. Each time I see Matteau's goal, Richter's save, the last faceoff, Mess with the cup, it brings a smile to my face. Always will.

In 1991 we were camping in Newfoundland, met a family from there, and of course talked hockey. I recall telling them that when I was in my 20s, I used to joke that I would likely go through my whole
life without seeing the Rangers win the cup, but now that I was in my 40s, it wasn't a joke anymore.

So 94 is a big deal. I will never forget how ecstatic I was. Just watch a replay of Sam and JD as the game ended and after, watch the crowd and you will understand.

Kovy was one of my favorite players. What an incredible talent. His speed in game 6 against the Devs was just as important as Messier's goals. Yes he underachieved but if you just look at his stats, he is a borderline hall of famer. Another player with those stats and what he did in his career just might get in. But of course he won't and shouldn't. But what a transcendent, exuberant talent. Love the guy, thinking of him makes me smile even if he could have been so much more.

Now, if we could only win another!

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:53 AM
  #35
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
My Ranger memories go back to 1958.

Season ticket holder in the blueseats from 1969-1976.

I've raised two hardcore Ranger fans, one who is a regular poster here.

Met my wife going to a playoff game in 1970.

Still as fanatic a fan as ever, the Rangers have been one of the great passions of my life. Aside from personal events, 1994 is one of the highlights of my life and I will never, ever tire of it. Each time I see Matteau's goal, Richter's save, the last faceoff, Mess with the cup, it brings a smile to my face. Always will.

In 1991 we were camping in Newfoundland, met a family from there, and of course talked hockey. I recall telling them that when I was in my 20s, I used to joke that I would likely go through my whole
life without seeing the Rangers win the cup, but now that I was in my 40s, it wasn't a joke anymore.

So 94 is a big deal. I will never forget how ecstatic I was. Just watch a replay of Sam and JD as the game ended and after, watch the crowd and you will understand.

Kovy was one of my favorite players. What an incredible talent. His speed in game 6 against the Devs was just as important as Messier's goals. Yes he underachieved but if you just look at his stats, he is a borderline hall of famer. Another player with those stats and what he did in his career just might get in. But of course he won't and shouldn't. But what a transcendent, exuberant talent. Love the guy, thinking of him makes me smile even if he could have been so much more.

Now, if we could only win another!
Well said. I think the people who really complain about '94 are the ones that are too young to have lived through it - and its frustration they havent seen one of their own.

This team has won 1 cup in the last 73 years. Why shouldnt 1994 be cherished by its fans?

What MSG ownership has done to that great run is a different matter entirely.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
  #36
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What MSG ownership has done to that great run is a different matter entirely.
That's why it gets a bad rap sometimes.

But hey, what else are they gonna replay a thousand times and still get alot of people to watch? The '86 playoff run? I would love that, but the younger kids have no patience for 'old' things that didn't produce a Championship.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  #37
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That's why it gets a bad rap sometimes.

But hey, what else are they gonna replay a thousand times and still get alot of people to watch? The '86 playoff run? I would love that, but the younger kids have no patience for 'old' things that didn't produce a Championship.

94 is fast becoming and "old thing".

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:11 AM
  #38
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
94 is fast becoming an "old thing".
So are we

40 next year, I was 20 when we won

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
  #39
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So are we

40 next year, I was 20 when we won
I was a week away from 19.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:22 AM
  #40
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Well said Sir.You go back further than me with the team..I got really hooked when we brought over Andres Hedberg and Ulf Nilson.Loved them and the line of Hickey,Hedberg,Nilson.Do I remember correctly,were we the first team to bring over Swedes to play in the NHL? Or was Borje Salming here first?





Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
My Ranger memories go back to 1958.

Season ticket holder in the blueseats from 1969-1976.

I've raised two hardcore Ranger fans, one who is a regular poster here.

Met my wife going to a playoff game in 1970.

Still as fanatic a fan as ever, the Rangers have been one of the great passions of my life. Aside from personal events, 1994 is one of the highlights of my life and I will never, ever tire of it. Each time I see Matteau's goal, Richter's save, the last faceoff, Mess with the cup, it brings a smile to my face. Always will.

In 1991 we were camping in Newfoundland, met a family from there, and of course talked hockey. I recall telling them that when I was in my 20s, I used to joke that I would likely go through my whole
life without seeing the Rangers win the cup, but now that I was in my 40s, it wasn't a joke anymore.

So 94 is a big deal. I will never forget how ecstatic I was. Just watch a replay of Sam and JD as the game ended and after, watch the crowd and you will understand.

Kovy was one of my favorite players. What an incredible talent. His speed in game 6 against the Devs was just as important as Messier's goals. Yes he underachieved but if you just look at his stats, he is a borderline hall of famer. Another player with those stats and what he did in his career just might get in. But of course he won't and shouldn't. But what a transcendent, exuberant talent. Love the guy, thinking of him makes me smile even if he could have been so much more.

Now, if we could only win another!

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
  #41
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I was a week away from 19.
Perfect time for me to witness the Cup, I was working part time, school part time, and it was my first year off of competitive hockey so I didn't miss watching a playoff game.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:36 AM
  #42
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 47,055
vCash: 50
I was an ever salty two days old when we last won.

Juuuuuuuust made it.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
  #43
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What MSG ownership has done to that great run is a different matter entirely.
That's my beef. Yes this organization has had one championship in the past 70 odd years but there is so much wonderful and interesting history that's not being retold, and instead for the umpteenth time I get to see Summer of 94 on MSG Network.

I'd love to hear about and see more of those 70's teams that made the finals twice. There's no shame in losing to those Bruins and Canadiens teams. And it would incredibly interesting to revisit given the names involved: Orr, Espo, Hodge on the Bruins and Gainey, LaFleur, Robinson, Dryden and Savard on the Canadiens.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
  #44
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Happy holidays! :)
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
That's my beef. Yes this organization has had one championship in the past 70 odd years but there is so much wonderful and interesting history that's not being retold, and instead for the umpteenth time I get to see Summer of 94 on MSG Network.

I'd love to hear about and see more of those 70's teams that made the finals twice. There's no shame in losing to those Bruins and Canadiens teams. And it would incredibly interesting to revisit given the names involved: Orr, Espo, Hodge on the Bruins and Gainey, LaFleur, Robinson, Dryden and Savard on the Canadiens.
Interesting, yes. Wonderful? No.

The reason MSG is doing what it's doing is because the team has been around too long to have so little to show for its tenure.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:19 PM
  #45
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,342
vCash: 500
Mine of back to the mid 60s, the GAG line etl.

Thx for sharing your memories.

The pain that was endured by being a ranger fan on the island during the 4 cup run, and the 1940 chants, was such a low thatThe 94 win was incredibly cathartic. I think that's why we won't let it go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
My Ranger memories go back to 1958.

Season ticket holder in the blueseats from 1969-1976.

I've raised two hardcore Ranger fans, one who is a regular poster here.

Met my wife going to a playoff game in 1970.

Still as fanatic a fan as ever, the Rangers have been one of the great passions of my life. Aside from personal events, 1994 is one of the highlights of my life and I will never, ever tire of it. Each time I see Matteau's goal, Richter's save, the last faceoff, Mess with the cup, it brings a smile to my face. Always will.

In 1991 we were camping in Newfoundland, met a family from there, and of course talked hockey. I recall telling them that when I was in my 20s, I used to joke that I would likely go through my whole
life without seeing the Rangers win the cup, but now that I was in my 40s, it wasn't a joke anymore.

So 94 is a big deal. I will never forget how ecstatic I was. Just watch a replay of Sam and JD as the game ended and after, watch the crowd and you will understand.

Kovy was one of my favorite players. What an incredible talent. His speed in game 6 against the Devs was just as important as Messier's goals. Yes he underachieved but if you just look at his stats, he is a borderline hall of famer. Another player with those stats and what he did in his career just might get in. But of course he won't and shouldn't. But what a transcendent, exuberant talent. Love the guy, thinking of him makes me smile even if he could have been so much more.

Now, if we could only win another!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
  #46
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Well said Sir.You go back further than me with the team..I got really hooked when we brought over Andres Hedberg and Ulf Nilson.Loved them and the line of Hickey,Hedberg,Nilson.Do I remember correctly,were we the first team to bring over Swedes to play in the NHL? Or was Borje Salming here first?
Loved Hedberg and Nilson (plus Pat Hickey)...also some of my favorite guys.

Believe the first Swede was brought over by the Rangers circa 1964 and his name was Ulf Sterner. Remember listening on the radio (think Marv Albert was the announcer) when he scored a goal that was disallowed because I believe Bob Nevin was offside. Never scored another goal or played very long.

Have some memory of him going back to Sweden where he got into some kind of legal trouble because he played a more physical Canadian style...but I could be wrong about that.

But yeah...Hederg, Nilson, and Hickey: what a fast line that was.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:24 PM
  #47
Blueblood9
Registered User
 
Blueblood9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Im with the old timers on this board. although im 30 now and 12 when we won the cup it was one of my favorite sports memories. I remember my parents letting me stay up late to watch all the games and bouncing off the walls when they won it. My dad(who hated hockey) took me to the parade because i was such a fan.

I am also a redskin fan and the 2 franchises have been nearly identical for yrs. The redskins dwell on there history and their glory days as do all other professional franchises. The Steelers live on the 6 titles, then Yankees on 27, hell the browns have been so putrid for years that they only relive the bad moment like the fumble or the drive. Just be glad we have this moment in the recent history. This is our history and as someone once said our history is not as rich as other O6 teams and this is one of the moments that needs to be remembered.

I can argue that at least 2 of the franchise bests played on that team. Do we forget about them aswell?

Blueblood9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  #48
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Messier gets all the credit for game 6 vs the Debbies but Kovalev started it all with the first goal of the game and assisting on every one of the Mess goals. Without Kovalev we don't have that 94 cup and for that I will always be a Kovalev fan.

Congrats on a great career:

1st Russian selected 1st round
1st Russian to win the cup
Olympic gold and bronze
Multiple All-Star and one time MVP
Over 1,000 career points

I think he gets HOF consideration.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
  #49
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 47,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Messier gets all the credit for game 6 vs the Debbies but Kovalev started it all with the first goal of the game and assisting on every one of the Mess goals. Without Kovalev we don't have that 94 cup and for that I will always be a Kovalev fan.

Congrats on a great career:

1st Russian selected 1st round
1st Russian to win the cup
Olympic gold and bronze
Multiple All-Star and one time MVP
Over 1,000 career points

I think he gets HOF consideration.
Hey. Don't forget the others!

My Dad brings up Kovalev constantly whenever Messier's Game 6 is mentioned vs. the Devils.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:21 PM
  #50
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,815
vCash: 500
Nothing like your favorite childhood player retiring to make you feel old...

Knock him all you want, he probably deserves it, but this man was an electric talent and not only was a major factor in me becoming a die hard fan, he was also a major influence in me becoming a player. Hockey can be a beautiful game, and this man showed that regularly. He also had fun when playing, and off the ice, and that made him fun to watch. Best of luck to #27, I already miss you and the game as it was when you played it.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.