HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Trade Deadline Thread (CBJ deadline discussion here)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2013, 09:28 PM
  #401
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Would anyone do a deal around...
Brassard + ?
for
Grabner + ?
or even a 1 for 1 trade? I have no idea if Grabner is available though. He has 10 goals and 3 assists in 26 games. After this season he has 3 more years left with a caphit of $3million. He's currently 25 years old.
I might, I really like Grabner. The guy is streaky, but when he is on, he can score in bunches, and when he is off I'd rather have his d-game than Brass's d-game.

But there is no way the Isles do it. They will have a center glut soon, with:

Tavares
Strome
Nielsen
Nelson
Cizikas

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:46 PM
  #402
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Would anyone do a deal around...
Brassard + ?
for
Grabner + ?
or even a 1 for 1 trade? I have no idea if Grabner is available though. He has 10 goals and 3 assists in 26 games. After this season he has 3 more years left with a caphit of $3million. He's currently 25 years old.
If you think Brassard underachieves...

I saw Michael Grabner go from third line jobber to first line superstar in under 3 months. The guy went on a ridiculous stretch where he scored something like 34 goals in 36 games as an 18 year old in the WHL, which led to him being picked in the first round. The following year, he didn't regress, but he really didn't improve much. Still, he was very good, and led the team into the playoffs ... where he absolutely floundered, as soon as he was challenged physically.

I really believe that with a big, physical, talented center, Grabner can be a consistent 30 goal threat in the NHL. However, we don't have any centers like that. I'll always be harsher on him because I have seen him at his best and know how good he can be, but the fact is, he's a one-dimensional goal scorer that is easy to take off his game, and doesn't pass the puck very often.

If it's for Brassard, then I think the value is close. However, Grabner has a more proven track record, and I highly doubt the Isles go for that deal in a real universe.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:40 AM
  #403
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
We're actually in the playoff hunt, and you want to trade one of our leading scorers? Offseason, yes, right now? Hell no. I see very minimal happening at the deadline with the NHL roster. Maybe JK will pull some magic outta his ass and trade some picks for young nhl ready talent. But I don't think much else could happen. However, if we miss the playoffs and the Jackets come back to reality, look for a busy offseason.
I'm kind of two minds when it comes to the trade deadline. Part of me is like "we can do it, rip their heads off," but then I remember 2 years ago when we were like 5 points out, Howson said "we're going for it" the deadline came and went and then we ***** ourselves the rest of the season.

I do agree with you about Brassard though. There just seems so much anger towards him and I don't get it. Has he underachieved? Yep! but who the crap has been leading him? I think we all agree leadership on this team was severily lacking during his tenure here and the fact he's tied for points lead on the team is a sign of good things to come

On a side note, did anyone else hear Prospal's interview on the NHL channel this week? First, the more Vinny talked the more I pictured Denis Lemieux from slap shot. Second, the more I hear his interviews/his teammates remarks the more I love JMFJ

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:50 AM
  #404
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 12,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
We're actually in the playoff hunt, and you want to trade one of our leading scorers? Offseason, yes, right now? Hell no. I see very minimal happening at the deadline with the NHL roster. Maybe JK will pull some magic outta his ass and trade some picks for young nhl ready talent. But I don't think much else could happen. However, if we miss the playoffs and the Jackets come back to reality, look for a busy offseason.
i do just from the standpoint of "heading north" i dont' see Brass as part of the future and the core so if we can get something of good value for him now, i'm all for it

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:10 AM
  #405
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
I do agree with you about Brassard though. There just seems so much anger towards him and I don't get it. Has he underachieved? Yep! but who the crap has been leading him? I think we all agree leadership on this team was severily lacking during his tenure here and the fact he's tied for points lead on the team is a sign of good things to come
I have no anger toward him, nor can I speak for anyone but myself, but I see him as being one of the weakest hockey player in the NHL. He wins no wall battles, bounces off most hits, and is not strong with the puck on his stick. That's why, to me, his obvious skills have not resulted in better overall performance. I'd much prefer not to watch him in a CBJ sweater beyond this season. Not with a Mason-esque level of hope, that kid really needs to leave town, just a personal preference.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:46 AM
  #406
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus
Country: Colombia
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Yes, I do.
Is there anybody over the age of 23 that you would keep?

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:56 AM
  #407
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I have no anger toward him, nor can I speak for anyone but myself, but I see him as being one of the weakest hockey player in the NHL. He wins no wall battles, bounces off most hits, and is not strong with the puck on his stick. That's why, to me, his obvious skills have not resulted in better overall performance. I'd much prefer not to watch him in a CBJ sweater beyond this season. Not with a Mason-esque level of hope, that kid really needs to leave town, just a personal preference.
Brassard has always struck me as being a guy who would excel on bigger ice, with smaller players.

He has undeniable skills, but his free-wheeling style doesn't work in the NHL. When asked to play within a system, he is, essentially, homeless because while having top six skills, he cannot utilize them on the lower lines, which is, at best, where he should be playing. And if he doesn't forecheck strong or hit or is very good defensively, he's pretty useless on the bottom six too.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:07 AM
  #408
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Brassard has always struck me as being a guy who would excel on bigger ice, with smaller players.

He has undeniable skills, but his free-wheeling style doesn't work in the NHL. When asked to play within a system, he is, essentially, homeless because while having top six skills, he cannot utilize them on the lower lines, which is, at best, where he should be playing. And if he doesn't forecheck strong or hit or is very good defensively, he's pretty useless on the bottom six too.
He's a second line center imo, with good PP skills. He had a hell of a game Tuesday night, with Vinny and Letestu, but overall its been a dissappointing season for him, Cam and RJ. That line that was so effective after the Carter trade, hasn't produced for us.

Cam gets a pass imo, up til this point. The high ankle sprain will cripple anyone, and his game is speed. Now as we move into April, I think its fair to expect more from #13.

RJ seems to have physically finally got up to speed over the last couple weeks. Not playing during the lockout hurt him more than he admits. He has found some chemistry on the big boy line now.

Brass had his best game as a Jacket Tuesday. What will we see this weekend?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
  #409
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ
 
Gagnefan924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
He's a second line center imo, with good PP skills. He had a hell of a game Tuesday night, with Vinny and Letestu, but overall its been a dissappointing season for him, Cam and RJ. That line that was so effective after the Carter trade, hasn't produced for us.

Cam gets a pass imo, up til this point. The high ankle sprain will cripple anyone, and his game is speed. Now as we move into April, I think its fair to expect more from #13.

RJ seems to have physically finally got up to speed over the last couple weeks. Not playing during the lockout hurt him more than he admits. He has found some chemistry on the big boy line now.

Brass had his best game as a Jacket Tuesday. What will we see this weekend?
What constitutes a disappointing season? If Brass is disappointing this season what is every other player below him? I find it confusing you're calling a player who's second on the team in points, disappointing. Everyone below must be on the way out then. Hyperbole aside, I think Brass has consistently produced chances in the offensive zone. He's not a defense specialist but he can make the smart play when he isnt afraid of getting wrecked. Other than that he is what he is. He's going to be pretty ineffective against other teams top lines but he's okay against players his skill level. Prospal Brass and Letestu are the top 3 scorers on the team and I think that's due mostly to who they face when they are playing offense. I dont ever think Brass will come close to being a number 1, that ship has sailed. Although Brassard does bring a creativity skill set that is severely lacking on this team. All that being said I'm all for trading him for the right deal.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
  #410
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
What constitutes a disappointing season? If Brass is disappointing this season what is every other player below him? I find it confusing you're calling a player who's second on the team in points, disappointing. Everyone below must be on the way out then. Hyperbole aside, I think Brass has consistently produced chances in the offensive zone. He's not a defense specialist but he can make the smart play when he isnt afraid of getting wrecked. Other than that he is what he is. He's going to be pretty ineffective against other teams top lines but he's okay against players his skill level. Prospal Brass and Letestu are the top 3 scorers on the team and I think that's due mostly to who they face when they are playing offense. I dont ever think Brass will come close to being a number 1, that ship has sailed. Although Brassard does bring a creativity skill set that is severely lacking on this team. All that being said I'm all for trading him for the right deal.
I've said before, there is no player in CBJ history on whom I have run both hot and cold as much as Brassard. He has proven to be not quite good enough at any one thing to determine a role. But I agree with Gagne Fan here. He's playing well for what they're asking him to do, who he's playing with and against. If the FO and coaching staff can figure out a way he fits with the kind of roster they're building moving forward, fine. If not, fine.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:10 AM
  #411
Kev22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Plain City, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
I would be all for keeping Brassard if he made 2M a year. I would switch him with Anisimov. But thanks to Howson, GMJK is probably in a position where he's not going to be able to get a very good deal for Brass. If he is able to trade him, I wouldn't be shocked if he has to keep 1M of his salary to make it happen. Maybe I'm wrong.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:14 AM
  #412
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
What constitutes a disappointing season? If Brass is disappointing this season what is every other player below him? I find it confusing you're calling a player who's second on the team in points, disappointing.
This is like saying Nash didn't have a disappointing year last year. To me, its his play consistently. His points only serve to tantalize when you look at the entire body of work.

I won't deny that he's likely the player to garner the most mixed reactions, because I just don't see a place for him, anywhere, given what we know about him, he doesn't do anything really well enough to define a role despite being maybe the most offensively talented player this team has. Couple that with being one of the longest tenured players right now (the longest?).

Some can say he's a second line center. I don't think he is, his game has him pegged as a "tweener" right between second and third line, but he can't adequtely play the role of third or fourth liner and he can't seem to be consistent enough and devoted enough to garner top six, regardless of how skilled he is.

The powerplay kind of goes back to what I was saying about smaller guys and bigger ice, the opposition is one down and Brassard's "freewheeling" style serves him best in these situations where there's more ice and more control.

When someone asks me: What's Derick Brassard's role? I have a hard time answering beyond "providing sketchy offense"

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
  #413
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 27,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Talking about these parts..





If getting Okposo costs Brass, Dubi, or RJ (A better Okposo) then no thanks.
Staple is the NYI Newsday beatwriter. He held a fanchat yesterday.

He says Snow's not looking to make any major moves at the trade deadline, wants to extend his impending ufas and add more kids to the roster between the end of this season and next season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:21 AM
  #414
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 27,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I might, I really like Grabner. The guy is streaky, but when he is on, he can score in bunches, and when he is off I'd rather have his d-game than Brass's d-game.

But there is no way the Isles do it. They will have a center glut soon, with:

Tavares
Strome
Nielsen
Nelson
Cizikas
A lot of opposing fans, don't bother looking at the trade proposal from the other team's prespective.

I've had Leaf fans tell me to get off their board, after posting how unlikely a NYI/Leaf proposal was because the Isles had a top prospect or were deep in that position

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:25 AM
  #415
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 12,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
A lot of opposing fans, don't bother looking at the trade proposal from the other team's prespective.

I've had Leaf fans tell me to get off their board, after posting how unlikely a NYI/Leaf proposal was because the Isles had a top prospect or were deep in that position
we're going thru that now on the trade board with an awful proposal for Johansen...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
  #416
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Is there anybody over the age of 23 that you would keep?
Yeah, quite a few of them. I want to trade 4 players. Not sure how 4 players equates to me wanting to trade pretty much the entire team, but go ahead and make up anything you want.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
  #417
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
This is like saying Nash didn't have a disappointing year last year. To me, its his play consistently. His points only serve to tantalize when you look at the entire body of work.
Would U say he's been more consistent during our recent point streak? It just seems to me that Brassard has played better when the team seems to actually have leadership & I seem to have noticed him making several nice plays a game lately.

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:55 PM
  #418
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I would be all for keeping Brassard if he made 2M a year. I would switch him with Anisimov. But thanks to Howson, GMJK is probably in a position where he's not going to be able to get a very good deal for Brass. If he is able to trade him, I wouldn't be shocked if he has to keep 1M of his salary to make it happen. Maybe I'm wrong.
I do agree his salary is high, but with what seems to be wide spread interest in him(if net, newspapers, rumors have validity) I don't thing it has any barring on his trade value, nor would we have to pay any of his salary if he did leave.

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:01 PM
  #419
georgiabluejacket
Registered User
 
georgiabluejacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Georgia
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
we're going thru that now on the trade board with an awful proposal for Johansen...
U mean the "Johansen has worn out his welcome & clearly is a bust at the ripe old age of 20, so he should be traded to Toronto for scraps cause Toronto make awesome personnel moves" thread?

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:04 AM
  #420
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 12,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
U mean the "Johansen has worn out his welcome & clearly is a bust at the ripe old age of 20, so he should be traded to Toronto for scraps cause Toronto make awesome personnel moves" thread?
that's the one~

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:35 AM
  #421
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Na'ē panjā
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
U mean the "Johansen has worn out his welcome & clearly is a bust at the ripe old age of 20, so he should be traded to Toronto for scraps cause Toronto make awesome personnel moves" thread?
I'm pretty sure Kadri was written off as a bust in 2010 so maybe we should do a bust-for-bust swap?

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:25 AM
  #422
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
Would U say he's been more consistent during our recent point streak? It just seems to me that Brassard has played better when the team seems to actually have leadership & I seem to have noticed him making several nice plays a game lately.
He has played better. And I'll concede that some of my thinking on him may have been due to toxic lockerroom situation the last three seasons, I blame him for some that too...but I'm just not seeing enough consistently, even now. I see a lot of great plays by his linemates that he kinda works off of or makes the easy play because of them.

I'm never going to be his biggest fan, I just don't see where he fits one this build really takes shape or it finally finishes and he's 30 or 31. He's also had a history of burning out on coaching in his second year (under both Hitch and Arniel) and getting in the doghouse. There's a lot to be said when players start quitting, and I think Brass has been one of the ringleaders when it comes to that.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:50 AM
  #423
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
He has played better. And I'll concede that some of my thinking on him may have been due to toxic lockerroom situation the last three seasons, I blame him for some that too...but I'm just not seeing enough consistently, even now. I see a lot of great plays by his linemates that he kinda works off of or makes the easy play because of them.

I'm never going to be his biggest fan, I just don't see where he fits one this build really takes shape or it finally finishes and he's 30 or 31. He's also had a history of burning out on coaching in his second year (under both Hitch and Arniel) and getting in the doghouse. There's a lot to be said when players start quitting, and I think Brass has been one of the ringleaders when it comes to that.
Don'r see him going at the trade deadline. More likely in the off season.

__________________
__________________

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:07 AM
  #424
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,048
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I'm pretty sure Kadri was written off as a bust in 2010 so maybe we should do a bust-for-bust swap?
It's been tacitly suggested, but not quite in those terms. Your input in said thread would be most welcome.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:37 AM
  #425
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Don'r see him going at the trade deadline. More likely in the off season.
When does his contract expire? isn't it this season?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.