HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette Discussion (April 28: Laviolette to return next season)

Old
03-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Victory5

vCash: 500
Love how Holmgren 'hasnt even thought about firing lavy'

just like how jeff carter and mike richards were the future of the franchise, right Paul? *winky face*

Honestly, does anyone believe him for one second?

Last edited by Victory5: 03-14-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
StandingCow

Well... I mean, what is he supposed to say? If Peter doesn't win this next devils game, I am going to fire his ass so fast...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I trust him...

Yeah I know right....thought the same thing

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Every morning I wake up expecting to see the headline he's been fired. Not saying he is the sole reason this team sucks, but usually when a team that is expected to be a contender bombs this bad, the coach is fired by now.

I can only guess that the team is waiting to be close to eliminated or embarrassed to fire him.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Every morning I wake up having dreamed of this clod being fired.

Look at their breakouts again tonight. Totally inept.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Lavi's message is definitely not getting through.....team is just way too inconsistent. Can't win more than 2 games in a row. Team was undisciplined tonight in a lot of areas....Hartnell is back to playing stupid and apparently Bryz says there is "nothing else he can do."

Having said this..no point in bagging Lavi right now. Finish out the season and let the chips fall as they may with hopefully a blue chip draft pick coming our way.... Hey hey hey...

Old
03-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Every morning I wake up having dreamed of this clod being fired.

Look at their breakouts again tonight. Totally inept.
It's not just the breakouts, it's the point coverage in their end. Most peewee teams cover the point better.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:18 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Him benching Hartnell after a dumb penalty was really dumb.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:22 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
Hartnell though is playing stupid again....it's like his toe incurred brain damage on him. Having said this...it's how Lavi sends his messages and who he chooses to make examples and who he does not that I'm not crazy about...

I think overall Lavi's coaching this year has been inconsistent just like his team. This whole crappy year is a team effort with no "leader" able to get them out of this malaise of mediocrity..which includes the coaching staff.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
Hartnell was getting Stevens-bad. He also was, predictably (to some of us), unable to sustain his career-high production from a year ago. I know he missed half the season, but he needs to have more than 6 points. And if he's not producing offense, he isn't effective.

I think the Flyers were waiting for this point to make a decision on the coach, thinking they would at least tread water and the talent would win out on some nights. It didn't, and thus the team didn't. The Flyers are not going to the playoffs, so the effect of firing the coach in order to turn the season around is lost - they waited too long if it was really under consideration. I wouldn't say it's obvious, but it's probable he won't be back next year. If they want to fire him as to wake the team up from their bad habits, that's another thing, but the prudent thing to do would be to wait until the offseason to hire a new coach. In a perfect world, the new coach would be hired by a new GM. Holmgren must be held responsible because he is the biggest reason the Flyers are not going to the playoffs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Qyburn

Anyone who thinks that Laviolette will be fired anytime soon has simply lost their perspective.

He's had his highs and lows with his team-motivating timeout strategies, and with his other strategies. But it's only been about 30 games since we've seen the pinnacle of those strategies.

The importance of coming back again and again after the cup-favored Penguins kept going up 2-0 shan't be ignored by the management nor the ownership of this team.

And frankly, it's ****** that's it's been so quickly forgotten by some of the more surly elements of the fanbase. But that's the internet for you.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
Anyone who thinks that Laviolette will be fired anytime soon has simply lost their perspective.

He's had his highs and lows with his team-motivating timeout strategies, and with his other strategies. But it's only been about 30 games since we've seen the pinnacle of those strategies.

The importance of coming back again and again after the cup-favored Penguins kept going up 2-0 shan't be ignored by the management nor the ownership of this team.

And frankly, it's ****** that's it's been so quickly forgotten by some of the more surly elements of the fanbase. But that's the internet for you.
and if the Flyers come out after this short break and loss badly to the Pens (which is entirely likely). i wont be at all surprized to read about lavi being let go...

in fact i'd be more suprized to read that Snider was ok, with throwing away whats left of the season.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

It's how the coaching carousel works in the NHL these days. I don't want him to be fired, but when the Flyers miss the playoffs, heads are going to roll when Mount Snider erupts.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Coaches have won cups and been fired a couple of seasons after that. It's the way she goes in the NHL when it comes to Head Coaches. Lavi's a good coach but his time might running out. He's been here a while now. A fresh face might be better for this team.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

We wouldn't want this to fall to the 4th page in the midst of a 4-game win streak and now having lost 4 defensemen, would we?

Old
04-09-2013, 10:20 PM
TheKingPin

I like lavi but with such a young team we need actual coaching to make them strong players. I'd personly like Ted Nolan. I think how he coaches will stunt our young players. Lavi is more suited for a team like the pens or hawks

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I like lavi but with such a young team we need actual coaching to make them strong players. I'd personly like Ted Nolan. I think how he coaches will stunt our young players. Lavi is more suited for a team like the pens or hawks
I used to like Lavy, but watching them play this year, even before all the D got hurt, I kept asking myself whether they had any coaches at all.

There is no D zone coverage. None of the forwards seem to know their assignments. Or if they do, but ignore them, there are no consequences. I'm not even going to talk about all the bad penalties.

The team has tuned him out. The old 'early timeout to scream at them' doesn't work. Lavy needs to go and Berube needs to go with him.

What we need is a young, disciplined coach like Peter DeBoer, who came up from Jr and knows the game and how to teach a young team how to play a structured game. I haven't scanned the entire Jr and AHL ranks for 'next one' of coaching, but someone like Dallas Eakins for example, would be a better option.

The 'system' Lavy is trying to use, whatever it is, only works against teams that don't play D, like Pittsburgh, and then only sometimes.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I used to like Lavy, but watching them play this year, even before all the D got hurt, I kept asking myself whether they had any coaches at all.

There is no D zone coverage. None of the forwards seem to know their assignments. Or if they do, but ignore them, there are no consequences. I'm not even going to talk about all the bad penalties.

The team has tuned him out. The old 'early timeout to scream at them' doesn't work. Lavy needs to go and Berube needs to go with him.

What we need is a young, disciplined coach like Peter DeBoer, who came up from Jr and knows the game and how to teach a young team how to play a structured game. I haven't scanned the entire Jr and AHL ranks for 'next one' of coaching, but someone like Dallas Eakins for example, would be a better option.

The 'system' Lavy is trying to use, whatever it is, only works against teams that don't play D, like Pittsburgh, and then only sometimes.
The system requires a lot of work (constantly moving your feet/skating), discipline and the right personnel .....none of which we have this season and yes injuries compounded things. I think Lavi is good coach and given the right personnel and a fresh start he can continue to have success in the league..I just think his time here has run it's course and yes they need a good teaching coach but still needs to be stern...no Stevens types or for that matter recycled old boy network coaches like Murray and Paddock. They need a fresh perspective from outside the organization.....and depending on what Holmgren does in the offseason.....they might need the same for a GM if Snider can bring himself to stop his meddling and cosa nostra crap. I love how he said Bryz was Holmgren's idea and that the coach will be up to Holmgren. If Snider was really that far removed and believed the Flyers were Holmgren's to manage he would just shut his dentured trap...honestly I know he is the father of the Flyers and all and I respect him for what he's done for this city but I think he needs to step back more although if Holmgren craps the bed this offseason obviously he's going to have to get involved and think outside the box...something I'm not so sure he can do considering dementia seems to be setting in...

Old
04-09-2013, 11:14 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

I'm all for a coach like deboer. Just really need to teach these kids that skating hard isn't the only thing in hockey. There is a reason why no talent teams are successful. We are not a no talent team. Really really hoping mason works and we can coach him well. If so him plus our team with additions and new solid coaching make us contenders.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:39 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
what has Nolan been up to since his NHL days?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I will be this team's head coach before Ted Nolan. Ted Nolan is a power guy who gets into spats with the front office. That ain't gonna fly here. There's a reason no one hires him.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:25 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I will be this team's head coach before Ted Nolan. Ted Nolan is a power guy who gets into spats with the front office. That ain't gonna fly here. There's a reason no one hires him.
I'd be up to try Dallas Eakins, but I don't know if he'd want his first NHL job with the Flyers. Would be a fresh change. Maybe at the same time, re-hire Patterson over Terry Murray for the Phantoms.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Psuhockey

I would be interested in Luke Richardson if he learned anything from MacLean. I had long thought Dale Hunter would come here but with London possibly getting the Memorial Cup next year, I doubt it. Both London and the Flyers organization are close. Comcast runs London's arena. I know Hunter said he left the capitals because he wanted to go back to juniors but I think the real reason was Ovechkin. Those two didn't see eye to eye and there was no way the owner was going to side with the coach over the franchise player with 9 years at 9.5 mil left on his contract at the time.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd be up to try Dallas Eakins, but I don't know if he'd want his first NHL job with the Flyers. Would be a fresh change. Maybe at the same time, re-hire Patterson over Terry Murray for the Phantoms.
Dallas Eakins would be my first choice, actually. He's ready, and he's pissed off he was passed over for Randy Carlyle.

The issue with coaching is more personnel, still. When Lavy was hired, we were a team expecting to win the Cup, with many veteran players who needed to be pushed over the top. That's not where this franchise is at right now a la when Hitchcock was fired.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:10 AM
SolidSnakeUS

What kind of game does Eakins go for?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote