HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrej Sustr Signed by Tampa Bay (2 year ELC)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 06:16 AM
  #76
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
If a guy can sign with any team in the NHL, why would he sign with Tampa?
Lets see:

Weather
Location
All star players
Best AHL franchise on and off the ice
One of the best NHL franchises off the ice
Lack of taxes

Should I keep going?

Like it or not, since Yzermam and Vinik took over, TB is one of the premier destinations for any UFAs. Look at the short lists for any of them. TB is almost always in the running at the end.


Last edited by Nuckles: 03-22-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Editted quote
IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:07 AM
  #77
Alivesi
Registered User
 
Alivesi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 972
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Lets see:

Weather
Location
All star players
Best AHL franchise on and off the ice
One of the best NHL franchises off the ice
Lack of taxes

Should I keep going?

Like it or not, since Yzermam and Vinik took over, TB is one of the premier destinations for any UFAs. Look at the short lists for any of them. TB is almost always in the running at the end.

Deal with it.
A lot of people also think we are a few pieces away from contending (Solid goalie / Defencemen)

Alivesi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
  #78
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Not even close, look no further than your goalie for instance. And the same contract was being offered by other teams, including Detroit.

So try again.
Was it?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:49 AM
  #79
Marcus Halberstram*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 411
vCash: 500
Hopefully he'll make a good goalie.

Marcus Halberstram* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
  #80
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Was it?
Yes, it was an ELC. Everyone had to offer the same contract. Bonuses might have been slightly different... but that's going to be fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.

__________________
"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:26 AM
  #81
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Yes, it was an ELC. Everyone had to offer the same contract. Bonuses might have been slightly different... but that's going to be fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.
He meant Carle, not Sustr. Haven't read that Wings made offer like that for Carle.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:51 PM
  #82
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
If his agreement was similiar to last years unsigned college player prize JT Brown I would be surprised if he's not in the lineup quickly. They Lightning used the promise of NHL playing time to get Brown signed and I'd imagine they did the same with Sustr.
The promise is to get NHL time and NHL money right away, which is kind of sad, but understandable if these guys don't pan out they get their money and a chance right away.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
  #83
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Lets see:

Weather
Location
All star players
Best AHL franchise on and off the ice
One of the best NHL franchises off the ice
Lack of taxes

Should I keep going?

Like it or not, since Yzermam and Vinik took over, TB is one of the premier destinations for any UFAs. Look at the short lists for any of them. TB is almost always in the running at the end.
Reality is...

Non Playoff team
Easy shot at making the team, leverage on his part
Depth on defense for prospect pool is insanely weak, fast tracks his career.
Best ELC he could get because of the above statements.

Then the stuff you said, comes into play.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:01 PM
  #84
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,072
vCash: 500
I would have loved the Flyers to sign him, but Tampa fans deserve some good news on D after getting stuck with Matt Carle and his noodle wrists for six years.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
  #85
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,632
vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Reality is...

Non Playoff team
Easy shot at making the team, leverage on his part
Depth on defense for prospect pool is insanely weak, fast tracks his career.
Best ELC he could get because of the above statements.

Then the stuff you said, comes into play.
Whatever it is it works. As long as SFY keeps turning UDFAs into gold like Conacher I don't care why they chose us.

__________________
Error 503 Service Unavailable
Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
  #86
Booba
Fier, ťmu and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,192
vCash: 500
His name could use a vowel or two! Just like Frk!

Seriously how do you pronounce that?

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
  #87
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I would have loved the Flyers to sign him, but Tampa fans deserve some good news on D after getting stuck with Matt Carle and his noodle wrists for six years.
twist the knife why don't you.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:22 PM
  #88
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?
 
Butchered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 501
Country: United States
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I would have loved the Flyers to sign him, but Tampa fans deserve some good news on D after getting stuck with Matt Carle and his noodle wrists for six years.


Sad but true.

I was a bit shocked to see that Sustr wasn't guaranteed NHL games in his deal. I think that's a big bonus to having a dominant AHL team. If Syracuse were basement dwellers I don't think they attract him without the NHL games guarantee. Considering they're probably the favorites to win another championship this year means even if Sustr goes to the AHL, he'll do it in a winning environment with a solid team that won't rely on him so heavily right out of the gate.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:33 PM
  #89
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
I love this kid, great signing.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:37 PM
  #90
GenericFan2*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Interested to see how this guy developes, 'grats TBay.

GenericFan2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
  #91
Northbad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver, B.C
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Congratulations TB. It will be a lot of fun seeing how he develops.

Northbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:51 PM
  #92
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,260
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
His name could use a vowel or two! Just like Frk!

Seriously how do you pronounce that?
My guess would be "Sooster".

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:09 PM
  #93
jameswrjobe53
Registered User
 
jameswrjobe53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williamsburg VA
Country: Wake Island
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
If a guy can sign with any team in the NHL, why would he sign with Tampa?
This is so respectful its not even funny.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  #94
McArthur
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hockey Heart Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
I love this kid, great signing.
Ya I wanted him in Etown. Good choice on t-bay though, I wish Stevie y was our gm...

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:19 PM
  #95
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchered View Post
I was a bit shocked to see that Sustr wasn't guaranteed NHL games in his deal. I think that's a big bonus to having a dominant AHL team. If Syracuse were basement dwellers I don't think they attract him without the NHL games guarantee.
You can't guarantee someone NHL games. At least not in their contract. You can have a bonus for NHL games played (as well as points, etc), but that doesn't guarantee the player that he'll be playing in the NHL.

There's only a few things keeping a player in the NHL. The threat of waivers (which doesn't apply here), the GMs word that he'll see NHL games, his performance, and the teams willingness to let the player make mistakes as he grows acustom to the speed, game, etc.

More realistically Sustr looked at Tampa's depth, the quality of life (hard to argue with beaches), and the teams willingness to give him a shot at NHL icetime. And then the quality of their AHL team should he not stick in the NHL all season. This is where teams like Edmonton (Schultz) and Tampa excel. They can afford to allow younger players to step in right away and learn on the fly. If they make mistakes that cost them points, it's not the end of the world like it is for contenders (Pittsburgh, Philly, etc).

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
  #96
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,632
vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Conacher wasn't some out of college UFA that was bid for, he was passed by several teams and while I see some promise in the kid, a lot of it looks like he got to the right situation at the right time, the last few games I saw him in, not much to write him about.

Judging by your name though, you're a big homer fan of his so I guess you will argue for him no matter what.
Yeah, pretty much. He's a wonderful player who has an amazing story of overcoming size, type 1 diabetes, his liver was even outside of his body when he was born. It's amazing he can even play hockey at a professional level. Right situation at the right time maybe but he was the AHL MVP last year and is leading rookies in scoring this year so he's been in the right situation a lot lately.

Still he was an UDFA who was signed by Yzerman and has been an outstanding success just as I said in my first post. But yes I'm a homer because I would defend a potential Calder winner on his favorite team just as everybody else on HF would.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:45 PM
  #97
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
You can't guarantee someone NHL games. At least not in their contract. You can have a bonus for NHL games played (as well as points, etc), but that doesn't guarantee the player that he'll be playing in the NHL.

There's only a few things keeping a player in the NHL. The threat of waivers (which doesn't apply here), the GMs word that he'll see NHL games, his performance, and the teams willingness to let the player make mistakes as he grows acustom to the speed, game, etc.

More realistically Sustr looked at Tampa's depth, the quality of life (hard to argue with beaches), and the teams willingness to give him a shot at NHL icetime. And then the quality of their AHL team should he not stick in the NHL all season. This is where teams like Edmonton (Schultz) and Tampa excel. They can afford to allow younger players to step in right away and learn on the fly. If they make mistakes that cost them points, it's not the end of the world like it is for contenders (Pittsburgh, Philly, etc).
I was with you until you mentioned Philly as a contender.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
  #98
sabreforlife
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
How come not signed

How come no team has offered contracts to players like: petr sykora,Dominic Moore,gilbert Brule, and cam barker????? These r some decent players

sabreforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:28 PM
  #99
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,042
vCash: 500
He may have to spend a year or two developing in the AHL but this behemoth has great potential. He skates like he's 6'1". This is a great signing for Tampa, as a Panthers fan I don't like it.

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:54 PM
  #100
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabreforlife View Post
How come no team has offered contracts to players like: petr sykora,Dominic Moore,gilbert Brule, and cam barker????? These r some decent players
Many teams probably have offered for Moore but the man may not be ready to play yet..

Barker has contract with Canucks.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.