HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Luongo for Grabovski

Old
03-22-2013, 02:23 AM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Probably about the same.
Well, if i was a GM right now, i would at least wait until i know what the next years cap is going to be before making any move for Luongo.
Part of his value is variable according to maximum cap.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Well, if i was a GM right now, i would at least wait until i know what the next years cap is going to be before making any move for Luongo.
Part of his value is variable according to maximum cap.
The cap is going to be 64.3

For the Leafs a Grabovski + Scrivens for Luongo swap would save them over 800k for next season. Just in that move. Which would leave them with over 20 Million to spend on re-signing there players and the UFA market.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:52 AM
palindrom

Quote:

For the Leafs a Grabovski + Scrivens for Luongo swap would save them over 800k for next season. Just in that move. Which would leave them with over 20 Million to spend on re-signing there players and the UFA market.
You are right, i forgot about that one, i thought it would be a share revenue (50%/50%) on the years 2 of the CBA.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:01 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
You are right, i forgot about that one, i thought it would be a share revenue (50%/50%) on the years 2 of the CBA.
No although I forgot about that share thing. But now that you brought it up it reminds me of all the time I spent discussing the lockout in the lockout thread on the Canucks Boards.

So happy that time is over.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:04 AM
palindrom

Quote:
No although I forgot about that share thing. But now that you brought it up it reminds me of all the time I spent discussing the lockout in the lockout thread on the Canucks Boards.

So happy that time is over.
Here are the details...

Quote:
The Payroll Range for 2013/14 shall be as follows:
Lower Limit = $44 Million
Midpoint = $54.15 Million
Upper Limit = $64.3 Million
Limit

Beginning in 2014/15, and on a going forward basis, the Payroll Range will be calculated as follows:
a)
The Midpoint will be calculated in accordance with the formula utilized in the expired CBA,
including with respect to the year-over-year growth factor and using 50% as the applicable
Players’Share.
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

Old
03-22-2013, 05:31 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:

Thing is why are we taking on that much cap for a third line centre? It guarantees Booth is gone and could force us to walk away from Raymond or Higgins unless they, along with Lapierre and Tanev leave money on the table. We would also need a sixth defenseman and Toronto may not be interested in moving Franson. I suppose Jensen is called up instead but I still dislike the idea of Grabovski being paid more than Kesler.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:41 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Thing is why are we taking on that much cap for a third line centre? It guarantees Booth is gone and could force us to walk away from Raymond or Higgins unless they, along with Lapierre and Tanev leave money on the table. We would also need a sixth defenseman and Toronto may not be interested in moving Franson. I suppose Jensen is called up instead but I still dislike the idea of Grabovski being paid more than Kesler.
I think if it gives you a best shot at winning, you have to stomach the fact that player X makes more than player Y.

I think we will be okay. Higgins and Raymond are going to be replaced in due time either way, Schroeder, Jensen and Kassian all should be ready to take on bigger roles, Kassian and Schroeder atleast. And they will make less and offer us time to use money elsewhere.

You also have to think Tanev's deal won't be much.

I mean who knows, I think it would work. Even then we could move Booth and make it work for sure, but even with Booth, we could make it work with just Ballard and Luongo going if Tanev is willing to take 2 Mill or less on a bridge deal.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
I think if it gives you a best shot at winning, you have to stomach the fact that player X makes more than player Y.

I think we will be okay. Higgins and Raymond are going to be replaced in due time either way, Schroeder, Jensen and Kassian all should be ready to take on bigger roles, Kassian and Schroeder atleast. And they will make less and offer us time to use money elsewhere.

You also have to think Tanev's deal won't be much.

I mean who knows, I think it would work. Even then we could move Booth and make it work for sure, but even with Booth, we could make it work with just Ballard and Luongo going if Tanev is willing to take 2 Mill or less on a bridge deal.
Schroeder has no role on this team should we acquire Grabovski - he never will. I would rather look to move him at that point since he is not a fourth liner and has only so little more to learn at the AHL level. While Jensen may take up the reins soon, I hesitate to say he ready for that mantle that we should consider walking away from Higgins or Raymond. Booth absolutely has to be bought out to accommodate Grabovski. It is not an option.

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.200m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Mason Raymond ($2.775m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Dale Weise ($0.700m)
Tom Sestito ($0.666m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Cam Barker ($0.700m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,973,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,327,000
------------------

It's feasible to say the least, however we would need a cheap depth defenseman (toss a pick at Montreal for Weber) and I worry about Hansen's contract renewal the subsequent year. Grabovski may make us better but there are alternative to where we are not absorbing a massive cap hit.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:15 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I would say a healthy consensus of people believe Kesler is a very effective winger.
At the very least he has shown an ability to play both positions.

(Im assuming your refering to Jordan Schroeder?).

We need a guy who can distribute the puck on the 2nd line. A guy like Briere, St. Louis or Roy would be excellent next to Kesler.
I am one of the "healthy consensus of people who believe Kesler is a very effective winger" (alla Mats Sundin) but it's not going to happen with this regime. Grabovski - 5.5mil x 5 yrs, Briere 6.5 mil x 3 yrs, your proposing Roy 5 mil x 5 yrs and St Louis (who I might take a look at) +35 contract @ 5.625 mil x 3 yrs, too much cap space tied up for players playing out of position or on the 3rd line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I'm with you on this one, you do not give up your best asset and +++ for a player who ends up being your 3rd line center and you DON'T EVER PAY 5.5 MIL X 5 YRS for that same player. I seriously believe that if Grabovski suddenly became available for free ie. waivers the Canuck's would take a pass considering cap, term and what he'd bring to the team

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
I am one of the "healthy consensus of people who believe Kesler is a very effective winger" (alla Mats Sundin) but it's not going to happen with this regime. Grabovski - 5.5mil x 5 yrs, Briere 6.5 mil x 3 yrs, your proposing Roy 5 mil x 5 yrs and St Louis (who I might take a look at) +35 contract @ 5.625 mil x 3 yrs, too much cap space tied up for players playing out of position or on the 3rd line

I'm with you on this one, you do not give up your best asset and +++ for a player who ends up being your 3rd line center and you DON'T EVER PAY 5.5 MIL X 5 YRS for that same player. I seriously believe that if Grabovski suddenly became available for free ie. waivers the Canuck's would take a pass considering cap, term and what he'd bring to the team
lol...funny stuff. But hey...take our 34 year old goalie with 10 years left at 5.33...and give us a top 6 forward, a 1st, and some cap relief!!

Here is a little something extra for you, that overpaid piece of crap player you speak of (Grabo) would be second in center scoring on your team (behind only Sedin). He would be tied for 3rd in goals and would be 8th in points on your team. That is using this years stats with grabo being used in a shutdown role. Until Kesler returns, you think Grabo is a 3C? Who plays ahead of him...Lappy? Schroeder? Ebbet?

Last edited by Liferleafer: 03-22-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Amp3d
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Grabo would do well in VAN, they need that offensive center and at the same time cut Luongo's term in half. Leafs will still have Kadri/Bozak/Komorov/McClement plus Colborne.

Grabovski
Scrivens
4th

For

Luongo

Done.

Amp3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:50 AM
ShouldveDraftedFiala

lol grabovski. keep dreaming

ShouldveDraftedFiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:53 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampedx View Post
Grabo would do well in VAN, they need that offensive center and at the same time cut Luongo's term in half. Leafs will still have Kadri/Bozak/Komorov/McClement plus Colborne.

Grabovski
Scrivens
4th

For

Luongo

Done.
Overpayment.

BlueBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post
lol grabovski. keep dreaming
LOL...wow.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Seb
Michel Therrien

vCash: 50
There's no way Grabovski alone is worth Luongo.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Amp3d
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Overpayment.
The Leafs are getting the best player in the deal, no way is that close to overpayment.

Last edited by spiny norman: 03-22-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: not needed
Amp3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Well then, i guess the Leafs lose in the massive bidding war that's going on.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Peter Griffin

I like Grabovski and what he would bring the Canucks(much needed center depth, ability to roll three lines), but at $5.5M? Not too keen on that.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:59 AM
JackJ

If Kadri+ wasn't enough, can't imagine Grabo sealing the deal.

Let them keep that 10yr contract while we enjoy the show.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I like Grabovski and what he would bring the Canucks(much needed center depth, ability to roll three lines), but at $5.5M? Not too keen on that.
Kind of how we feel about bringing in a 34 year old with 10 years left at almost the same cap hit as Grabo.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
His contract hampers any team he'll be traded to.

A good example is Brad Richards. Horrendous contract that he didn't live up to in his first season with New York, and he looks significantly worse this season on top of that. He's a better player than Grabovski though in stature, but would I trade Grabovski for him now? Hell no.

Richards might rebound and produce but the reason I won't want him is his contract.

With Luongo, Leafs fans might make an exception as stability in net is something we've lacked since Belfour. Toronto needs a capable number 1, but Luongo's contract is too much.

There have to be concessions made on both sides here. Luongo trade will create cap flexibility for Canucks who already have a number 1 in Schneider itching to take over permanently. Toronto needs to realize that Luongo is at least worth an NHL ready player who can contribute, and not trash like Komisarek.

That's why a swap of Grabovski (a top 6 forward) + Scrivens (capabale backup with potential to improve) for Luongo makes sense.

03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
As Leafs fan, we were keeping that part a secret..

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Kind of how we feel about bringing in a 34 year old with 10 years left at almost the same cap hit as Grabo.
Fair enough. I just don't think the Canucks would be willing to swallow Grabobski at $5.5M when he could conceivably be the Canucks' 3rd line center going forward.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Fair enough. I just don't think the Canucks would be willing to swallow Grabobski at $5.5M when he could conceivably be the Canucks' 3rd line center going forward.
I get it. He could be moved to wing as well.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I get it. He could be moved to wing as well.
Wasn't he already tried at wing with the Leafs with less than desirable results?