HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

All-inclusive Bud Holloway Love/Hate Fest

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 10:22 AM
lafan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Maybe he's just a complete ass, and DL didn't want to disrupt the team's chemistry.
His last year in Manchester he was awarded the IOA American Man of the year award for most trips to childrens hospital and schools he also recieved MVP award,Fan favorite award as well as the Booster Club player of the year .I dont think you know this guy at all.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:07 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafan View Post
His last year in Manchester he was awarded the IOA American Man of the year award for most trips to childrens hospital and schools he also recieved MVP award,Fan favorite award as well as the Booster Club player of the year .I dont think you know this guy at all.
I never claimed to know him. I was simply speculating. There's a reason why DL didn't bring him up with the big boys, and it is certainly not is on-ice play.

HOWEVER, winning the MVP, Fan Favorite, and Booster Club Player of the Year award does not mean he isn't an ass. Those are awards for his on-ice contributions.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 03-22-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old
03-22-2013, 11:11 AM
northernKing

Quote:
I never claimed to know him. I was simply speculating. There's a reason why DL didn;' bring him up with the big boys, and it is certainly not is on-ice play.

HOWEVER, winning the MVP, Fan Favorite, and Booster Club Player of the Year award does mean he isn't an ass. Those are awards for his on-ice contributions.
Seems like you are grasping at straws to show he's not a nice guy. Maybe DL just made an error in not giving him a chance aka cup of coffee in the NHL?

Old
03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
Seems like you are grasping at straws to show he's not a nice guy. Maybe DL just made an error in not giving him a chance aka cup of coffee in the NHL?
Hardly.

I don't know the guy, and I hope he succeeds.

I'm just saying that other than visiting Children's Hospital, I've seen nothing to show that he's a good team player.

He didn't get his cup of coffee when Nolan and King did. And I'm saying there's a reason for that, especially since his on-ice production has been better than those two. I'm just speculating.

Tell your son Bud "Hi" for me.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:20 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKingFan View Post
And how would you know that? Did BUd tell you this? Come on now. Yours is as much speculation as the fact that some feel Bud felt, as Ziggy said, entitled to a shot at the NHL level.

I'm willing to bet this guy never touches NHL ice.
I don't know him personally, but I have spoken with some around him.

There wasn't opportunity for him with the Kings organization.

Kozun will eventually leave too. It's not because he thinks he's "entitled" to a roster spot or something, it's because he'll be looking for opportunity elsewhere because there isn't any with the Kings.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
It happens, none of them make 100% of the right decisions all the time. It would have been nice for that cup of coffee instead of the "plug ins" like Zeiler, Moller and even Richardson. Heck, even King saw some action in 2010-11.
But, what are you gunna do. Those decisions were made for better or worse. Until he plays in an nhl game, it's not really known what type of nhler he is.

But, I was one of those that hoped he could have seen some games during that season. Over the guys I mentioned above.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
He didn't get his cup of coffee when Nolan and King did. And I'm saying there's a reason for that, especially since his on-ice production has been better than those two. I'm just speculating.
It's because King and Nolan are seen as players that can be effective in energy / grinder roles even if they're not scoring.

With Holloway, the organization saw him as someone who couldn't be used in the bottom 6, and hadn't shown enough scoring ability to be considered worthy of a top 6 role in the NHL.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It's because King and Nolan are seen as players that can be effective in energy / grinder roles even if they're not scoring.

With Holloway, the organization saw him as someone who couldn't be used in the bottom 6, and hadn't shown enough scoring ability to be considered worthy of a top 6 role in the NHL.
He reminds me of Parse in that sense. A true tweener.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

That makes sense.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Basilisk

If we traded his rights, how much could we get for Holloway? A 4th rounder?

Old
03-22-2013, 12:13 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
If we traded his rights, how much could we get for Holloway? A 4th rounder?
A guy that has never set foot in the NHL, lucky to get a 6th or 7th.

You are talking rights, that doesn't guarantee the team (trading for Holloway), anything.

Bud has made it pretty clear, that if he doesn't get what he wants.

He will just stay in Europe.

Last edited by damacles1156: 03-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Reclamation Project
Registered Troll

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
There aren't many nights where after I game I think to myself, "Man, the Kings could sure use Bud Holloway."

If he wants a guaranteed contract, he's not getting it from LA. Maybe some cellar dweller that is desperate to add a warm body to their lineup.
Awesome.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:49 PM
kings11

Funny how everyone is quick to bash the kid but look at it from a organizational stand point, bud is ready to contribute now, he'll be cheap, he dominated a league thats better than the AHL, and we doesn't lose anything if he doesn't pan out.

I guess my point is he's an asset and can be used on this team or at least show what he can do and we trade him. also for those of you that can't remember Bud was the best player on the team and was still passed over, but he should have stayed and now is the time to see what he's got!

btw, he's way better than either purcell or moulson and i'll bet on that.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Not that this will matter but I have met and spoke with Bud and his dad a bunch though not much since he moved to EU. (One of his friends too who told me that they used to tease Holloway by calling him "dud").

He is a great kid and his dad is a good guy. There are tons of reasons that he left for EU. I didn't agree with the decision at the time and I still think that it was a mistake because I know that we would have seen Bud lift the cup last June had he stayed.

To me the thing is that people make decisions based on their own personal perception of their current situations. So whatever Bud did he did what he thought was right at the time and had the support of the people around him when he did so.

Last year he said that he wanted to play in the NHL and play for the Kings hopefully but he was happy where he was too and would leave things with the team to decide what was best (kings).

Here we are now and Bud is a great young player proven ready to get his shot at the NHL. Someone will likely give him a shot to do so. I don't blame DL or the Kings at all for anything in the BH situation nor do I blame Bud.

These things happen and off we go. There really isn't anything more to it.

Last edited by etherialone: 03-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Dwight King split his first season with the Reign and Monarchs and spent three seasons in the minors before earning his call up. Same goes for Jordan Nolan. Trevor Lewis spent parts of four seasons with the Monarchs before earning a full time spot on the Kings roster, and he was a former 1st round pick. Voynov was a high 2nd rounder and spent four seasons in Manchester before he earned a permanent spot on the team.

So I guess Holloway is entitled to more than those players.
Yes he is, Bud is twice as good. SEL teams were not interested in Lewis, Nolan and King and rightfully so. If they were offered the same, they would have been gone too. People flame Holloway because he believed in himself, its ridiculous. When you are good, you should get a chance, not because you have just spend two years in the AHL.

Only Voynov is comparable and we are lucky he stayed in N-A.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:35 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Hardly.

I don't know the guy, and I hope he succeeds.

I'm just saying that other than visiting Children's Hospital, I've seen nothing to show that he's a good team player.

Tell your son Bud "Hi" for me.
Nolan was barely a third line player for the Monarchs during Holloway's last season in the AHL. I remember King was the leading scorer on the Monarchs when he recieved his first callup to the Kings, DL even made comments about calling up King because he was the top scorer there at the time.

If you want to try and reason that he's a bad team player I suggest you try and find some of the old "60 seconds with Bud Holloway" videos in which he interviews his fellow players. He also did similar videos for Seattle while he was there. He appeared to be the Matt Greene of the Monarchs during his time. Just a funny, somewhat odd kid. Certainly not a bad team player, everyone seemed to really like him. DL has even admited that when he left he was penciled in on the third line and he was confused that he left.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:10 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
I haven't seen much of Holloway, which is my way of saying never, but does he remind anyone of Scott Parse?

All I know is if Bud signs with the dux or the sharx, that's saying a major **** you to Lombardi.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I think the comparison of Scott Parse and Bud Holloway is pretty fair in the sense that he was better suited for the top six, not physical enough for the bottom, and wasn't quite ready to beat out anyone in the top.

Even now, do people think that Holloway would beat out Richards, Carter, Penner, Williams, Brown, Kopitar for a spot?

Do they think he would beat out Toffoli for a spot?

Holloway would have had his chance if he stayed, Lombardi said so himself, but in the end he was victim of a numbers game. That's just something that happens in this sport all the time.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
I think the comparison of Scott Parse and Bud Holloway is pretty fair in the sense that he was better suited for the top six, not physical enough for the bottom, and wasn't quite ready to beat out anyone in the top.

Even now, do people think that Holloway would beat out Richards, Carter, Penner, Williams, Brown, Kopitar for a spot?

Holloway would have had his chance if he stayed, Lombardi said so himself, but in the end he was victim of a numbers game. That's just something that happens in this sport all the time.
Why not, since when is Dustin "12 goals in my last 108 games" Penner a lock for the top 6 ? Williams has been ready for 3rd line duties as well. He can be very sloppy. Toffoli shouldnt even be here.

Reading this topic, its obvious people havent seen a single game of Holloway. He's not soft at all. He's top 10 in hits in Sweden, when do you see stuff like that when you are also the leading scorer. Lombardi must pick up the phone and ask him about his plans but I'm sure he's too stubborn. The team who acquires him will get a two-way 40-50 point producer at least. Why would we need him, after all we have won the cup...

Lets get rid of Clifford too, we didnt need him these last playoffs either.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
2-4 Slashin
Tony Granato Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
i hang a little stanley cup over my bed to keep the hockey nightmares away.
this!!

Old
03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Do any of the following names ring a bell?

Robert Rosen
Joakim Lindstrom
Mats Zuccarello
Per Skroder
Tony Martensson
Frederick Bremberg
Andreas Karlsson

What do they all have in common? They're the past seven league leaders in scoring in the SEL. Just because Bud Holloway is a top six forward in Sweden doesn't mean he'll be one in the NHL.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
2-4 Slashin
Tony Granato Fan!

If Bud Holloway was in the draft he'd go 2nd round easily. Why is it ridiculous to think we could not at least get a 3rd/4th rounder for him.

Slashin

Old
03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-4 Slashin View Post
If Bud Holloway was in the draft he'd go 2nd round easily. Why is it ridiculous to think we could not at least get a 3rd/4th rounder for him.

Slashin
Don't you think Dean Lombardi would have already dealt him if he could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for a player that has no future with the Kings?

Old
03-22-2013, 06:06 PM
JT8888

Why is it so certain he has no future with the kings? They are adults and DL could congrats him on his SEL accomplishments and tell him to be ready for camp. He beats out everyone for Penners spot and everyone will be happy

Old
03-22-2013, 08:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post

Here is where I think we will disagree.

I watched a ton of Holloway and he was a great young bottom 6er who surprised allot of people when he developed such a high level of O to his game. Always a capable scorer but nowhere near what he became. He was slotted as a 3rd line center type and that is where I see him fitting in with the Kings still today if he were to come back.

He was better than Lewis and still could be and I have always liked Trevor's game. He isn't as explosive a skater as TL but BH is better in many other areas imo.

That said rather or not Bud comes back to the Kings or the NHL I don't see where the fuss is. DL and Bud made decisions that have lead us to where we are today and whatever happens is what happens.

Same can be said for Hickey Clune Molson and so on. We are super deep and this is what happens when you have a great GM/scouting system.

Last edited by etherialone: 03-22-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Closed Thread