HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Roszival

Old
08-04-2006, 03:39 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Can we name the last bad trade Sather has made? Ozo is probably the answer but he traded a 3rd round pick for him and many people were happy with the move at the time. Honestly what was the last bad trade the guy has made as GM?
I still can't forget Mike York/Tom Poti deal. I don't know anyone who like it. I never dislike Poti, like others, but Sather did not replace York, like he hoped and Mike still missed in here even after Poti's departure.
I'm big time Ozo fan. That trade was one of his best. Friendship with Burke played it's role.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
...I think a lot of people get frustrated when a guy who is at that level is playing so much with Jagr..

People like Strudwick because he did great job in his role with the team. Find a role more appropriate for Rozsival and I think he can be of greater benefit to the team and a more respected member of it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

People like Strudwick because he did great job in his role with the team. Find a role more appropriate for Rozsival and I think he can be of greater benefit to the team and a more respected member of it.
I agree and believe that is where most of the ill will comes from.

Personally I don't think he's either as good as some suggest or as bad as others assert.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Edge

Quote:
The Rangers could go out and get a young Brian Leetch but if he doesn't have chemistry with Jagr how good is the team going to be? Rozsival is what he is but I'd rather know what I have with him at $2 million than have Kubina (for example) at $5 million a year and not know what I have.

I understand the frustation with Rozsival to a point. Certain people just don't like the guy and I'm not sure if there is a middle ground on this topic..
I don't know if there is with Roszival. He seems like one of those players most people are either going to accept or become terribly annoyed with.

I think Rosy had good chemistry with Jagr, but I don't think it was amazing enough to warrant putting him in that role.

On the flip side of that (and this is where the problem comes in), the Rangers didn't really have a ton of better options that would've been better than that chemistry.

Old
08-04-2006, 05:25 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Find a role more appropriate for Rozsival and I think he can be of greater benefit to the team and a more respected member of it.
And therein lies the great Rozsival compromise. Off course, the flip side of that discussion is that if it can be agreed that he is best being used as a 3rd pairing defenseman (which is what he is on most nights), the question that becomes is that the Rangers currently have several young defensemen that are ready for the shot at a chance to assume a similar role.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Edge you hit on the head. The Rangers don't have better options but they could get them. The Rangers could've spent the assets on Pronger or could've overpaid for Chara (I have read that did try to sign him and i've read they weren't close maybe you can help end that debate) They choose to improve other areas and I think in the end Ward and Rachuneck (who i'm not high on) will end up being better than Poti and Strudwick. Baranka was good in hartford at times last year but he isn't ready and I hope nobody expects him to be..

Liffiton could make us long for the days of Puriton. In the game thread somebody asked how he looked and I responded Peter Fiorintino..Now I have no memory of Fiorintinos 1 game as a Ranger but I'm sure in 92 people were hoping he praying he would get a shot with the Rangers. My point is if a kid is ready they will show it and beat out one of the vets for a spot. It isn't like our defenseman don't have any value on the trade market. (If Ken Klee can be traded for a good prospect I expect the same sort of return for one of Malik, Rozsival, Rachuneck)

It's a catch 22. Do you overspend for somebody or do you go with the quanity of quality approach (that works for the patriots in football) I don't know but i'm happy for the most part the rangers are being cautious and safe.

My question to the board is...

If Brian Leetch played 15 years in Chicago and was a free agent would you want the Rangers to dump 28 year old Rozsival for a 38 year old Leetch?

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 08-04-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Pizza

[QUOTE=Son of Steinbrenner;6213748]Edge you hit on the head. The Rangers don't have better options but they could get them. The Rangers could've spent the assets on Pronger or could've overpaid for Chara (I have read that did try to sign him and i've read they weren't close maybe you can help end that debate) They choose to improve other areas and I think in the end Ward and Rachuneck (who i'm not high on) will end up being better than Poti and Strudwick. Baranka was good in hartford at times last year but he isn't ready and I hope nobody expects him to be..

Liffiton could make us long for the days of Puriton. In the game thread somebody asked how he looked and I responded Peter Fiorintino..Now I have no memory of Fiorintinos 1 game as a Ranger but I'm sure in 92 people were hoping he praying he would get a shot with the Rangers. My point is if a kid is ready they will show it and beat out one of the vets for a spot. It isn't like our defenseman don't have any value on the trade market. (If Ken Klee can be traded for a good prospect I expect the same sort of return for one of Malik, Rozsival, Rachuneck)

It's a catch 22. Do you overspend for somebody or do you go with the quanity of quality approach (that works for the patriots in football) I don't know but i'm happy for the most part the rangers are being cautious and safe.

If Brian Leetch played 15 years in Chicago and was a free agent would you want the Rangers to dump 28 year old Rozsival for a 28 year old Leetch?[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking you meant to say 38, yes? Great question.

In all honesty the few games I watched Brian play last year he looked pretty bad, but I admit that I have some bias here. I just think Leetch is a bad fit for us and we should move on.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Esa 10

Rozsival and Staal

Although late to the party, might as well post some thoughts.

Rozsival is a good #4 defenseman. What we saw last year was a guy who was given 1st pairing minutes due to our lack of depth. His mistakes and fans' frustration stem from that, I believe. Similar to how Ruchin was miscast as a 2nd line center. With Ward in for Strudwick, Roz's ES minutes should come down. Ward played 19 minutes a night in Carolina, 3rd best among their defensemen. IF Rachunek lives up to his PP billing, he should be an upgrade on Poti. Cullen played the point for the Canes. His strength is in his big shot. These two should relegate Roz to a more appropriate 2nd PP duty (30-40 sec.) Rozsival should be fine at 18-19 minutes a game.

I don't think Staal should necessarily be written off. Teams often break in young defensemen by rotating them in and out. Renney is a cautious coach when it comes to rookies. He can often be percieved as overprotective. I can see a scenario where Staal, Tyutin, Kaspar, and Ward are rotated throughout the season. It could prevent the youngest and oldest guys from wearing down the stretch. Throw in injuries and Staal could easily get 70 games. Richter and Pock would be depth in Hartford. Ozo should be considered Pack bound unless we're absoulutely decimated with injuries during the winter.

Pock seems to be an issue for a lot of people. I don't consider him anything more than a Delmore AT BEST, so resigning Roz doesn't bother me. From watching 5 or so pre-playoff Pack games, I'd say Baranka was the only guy on defense who screams future NHLer with his play. He's very raw though, AT LEAST a year away. If he makes it next year, anything more than a 7th D role would be too much. He really needs time. Liffiton, etc. look like marginal guys.

I really wanted at least one legit top-pairing guy on this team but can see management's point of not spending up to the cap so early. I still would would have taken Jovo or Blake's 6 mill+ cap hit and cut elsewhere, but at this point it's done. We won't know whether a top guy or depth is more important until well into the season ...

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Edge

Quote:
Edge you hit on the head. The Rangers don't have better options but they could get them. The Rangers could've spent the assets on Pronger or could've overpaid for Chara (I have read that did try to sign him and i've read they weren't close maybe you can help end that debate) They choose to improve other areas and I think in the end Ward and Rachuneck (who i'm not high on) will end up being better than Poti and Strudwick. Baranka was good in hartford at times last year but he isn't ready and I hope nobody expects him to be..

If Brian Leetch played 15 years in Chicago and was a free agent would you want the Rangers to dump 28 year old Rozsival for a 28 year old Leetch?
My understanding is that the Rangers were never seriously close to getting Chara.

As for Rozsival/Leetch, I too have to go with Roz at this point (which I may have said in another thread not too long ago). I think as (hopefully) better options emerge Roz will eventually be moved into a role that better fits him. Unfortunatly (for better or worse) there isn't an apparent option at the moment/

Old
08-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Ola

Edge mentıoned Rozıvals chemıstry wıth JJ, and thats kınd of whats ıt all about. Rozıval and Malık worked out great wıth Straka-Nylander-Jagr. The top lınes play wıth thoose two was so much better then wıth Kaspar-Tyutın and Struds-Potı. Rozıval and Malık gave the top lıne a great oppertunıty to do what they do best. They often managed to hold on to the puck so Nyllet could go down deep and transport ıt for example.

Personally I thınk Rozıval ıs a decent D, I knew he was gooıng to be after seeıng hım ın Pıttsburgh, and thats where I thınk allot of the crıtızısım are commıng from. There where a couple threads wıth 10+ pages wıth allot of posters kıllıng the guy before they had even seen hım play -- some kept statıng Rozıval wouldnt be a top 6 on basıcally any other team then the NYR long ınto the season...

Rozıval have good +/- because hıs unıt played really well, not because JJ played really well.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 03:19 PM
94now

Quote:
Find a role more appropriate for Rozsival and I think he can be of greater benefit to the team and a more respected member of it.
This is yet another demand for dominant performance from the player who by his nature offers much more benefits the way he is. PUT HIM IN THE ROLE WHERE HE WOULD SHOW US DOMINANT PLAY, PERHAPS AGAINST WEAKER PART OF OF AN OPPOSITION AND WE MIGHT LOVE THE GUY (refer to my post #164 here).

Old
08-05-2006, 03:23 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Rozıval have good +/- because hıs unıt played really well, not because JJ played really well.
Well, some sanity in the insane environment. Thanks.

Old
08-05-2006, 07:25 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Nylander, Straka & Roszsival ALL were made to look good by sharing the ice with Jagr. All for various reasons, but nonetheless the fact remains.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote