HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrej Sustr and Lightning agree to terms (2 year ELC)

Old
03-22-2013, 04:28 AM
FacepalmBenning
70 ON THE DOLLAR!!!

vCash: 500
Just from watching his highlights clip, he looks awesome in the offensive zone. Those are some sick hands and he looks like he has a great slapshot and wrist shot. Not sure about the other aspects of his game but that's extremely exciting to get a player that big with that soft of a touch.

FacepalmBenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
netwolf

Send a message via ICQ to netwolf Send a message via AIM to netwolf Send a message via Yahoo to netwolf
You never really know how a kid will develop, but this is a great get for you guys. You basically added a 1st round talent to your prospect pool for nothing. Was really hoping the Pens would get him, but we're loaded with defensive prospects as it is.

My viewings of him are limited to last summer's development camp and a handful of UNO games that were televised, so take this with a grain of salt. Sustr's not a speedster, but I don't think skating is an issue for him at all. Vision and passing are really good, and he has decent hands. Defensively, he uses his positioning and huge reach more so than big hits, but he doesn't shy away from contact at all either.

netwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Sustr made it very clear that he was going to return to Nebraska-Omaha...he seemed to like the concept of playing college hockey more than playing minor league hockey. Plenty of college players do the same thing.

Maybe Sustr turns into nothing...but he looked good in those camps, had a very solid season, and he's huge and can somewhat skate for someone that big. He may not be Kris Letang on his feet, but he's not Hal Gill either. Tampa added an asset without having to give up anything to acquire him...it's the same reason every college free agent gets over-hyped.
I think this is the main point everyone forgets.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Also, my big knock on him is he doesn't lock down forwards well enough along the wall. I can handle the lesser footspeed and all that, but if you're going to be big you need to learn to pin kids to the wall.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:38 AM
TurboBrick

What's with all these undrafted college guys showing up? Are teams getting reluctant about drafting NCAA players in the first place because of Schultz & co? At this rate Tampa is going to look like some gang of misfits with mostly undrafted players on the roster.

TurboBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrick View Post
What's with all these undrafted college guys showing up? Are teams getting reluctant about drafting NCAA players in the first place because of Schultz & co? At this rate Tampa is going to look like some gang of misfits with mostly undrafted players on the roster.
This prospect signing is like signing one of your prospects out of the CHL. They're raw and need time with the AHL to properly develop. In this case, it didn't cost any draft picks or trade assets.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

I love the depth we're starting to put together in our prospect pool, I still remember when Posmyk and Clymer were rated as top d prospects for this organization...

Koekkoek, Sustr, Blujus, Barberio and Nesterov could all eventually be NHL regulars and in addition to Hedman, Gudas and Aulie, we have a very promising group. The only issue is that I'm not sure how many of the aforementioned prospects will be top 4 defensemen, but I'm sure SFY's hope is that we'll have a future top 4 of Hedman-Koekkoek and Carle-Sustr with Aulie, Gudas and Barberio rounding out the remaining spots.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Cant wait to see this teams future. Yzerman is doing a hell of a job putting the team together for the long haul.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
I'm pretty sure Chara was a soft pillow when he was young in the league. The physicality should develop naturally as he goes along.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Yzlamic Preacher
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I love the depth we're starting to put together in our prospect pool, I still remember when Posmyk and Clymer were rated as top d prospects for this organization...

Koekkoek, Sustr, Blujus, Barberio and Nesterov could all eventually be NHL regulars and in addition to Hedman, Gudas and Aulie, we have a very promising group. The only issue is that I'm not sure how many of the aforementioned prospects will be top 4 defensemen, but I'm sure SFY's hope is that we'll have a future top 4 of Hedman-Koekkoek and Carle-Sustr with Aulie, Gudas and Barberio rounding out the remaining spots.
Why no Korobov and Sergeev? I would put both above Blujus.

Yzlamic Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Why no Korobov and Sergeev? I would put both above Blujus.
Simply forgot about both of them in my list . It'll be interesting to see which prospects make it with us and which ones will be traded and potentially blossom elsewhere.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Thats the plan

MSL, Purcell, Johnson, Conacher and now Sustr. Brown should make the team next season too. 6 undrafted players, not bad!

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Starpainter

No word on terms yet?

Starpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
OG Kuch

Sustr.

Anyone know how much he weighs? I've seen a bunch of different numbers.

OG Kuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
Sustr.

In the video CC321 posted on page 3 of this thread, Sustr says he's "around 210 pounds right now" and that his goal is to reach 220. The video is from 2011, though.

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
The Omega Dreamer

vCash: 50
Quote:
We will hence forth be known as the Bolts Fraternity

Xenophobia Catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
Sustr.

The Mavericks team site says 225. The lightning press release also says 225, so I'd go with that.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
We will hence forth be known as the Bolts Fraternity

The dean will never shut Bolta Gamma down.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:09 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

https://twitter.com/TBLightning
Quote:
Know Your Numbers: Defenseman Andrej Sustr will wear No. 62 for the #TBLightning
https://soundcloud.com/tbl-sound/bou...-media-3-22-13
Boucher on the plan for Sustr:
Quote:
"Well, pretty much the same as the other guys. We've been grooming them in when they come into the line up, we don't overwhelm them with ice time. We'll just give them a little bit. He'll be coming in on Monday and we'll get him to practice with the team 3 or 4 days before we put him in the line up. We won't throw him in there. It's not like he's been in the American league like the other guys for 2 years. It's college, it's a whole different ball game. And if you start the year it's different because you start the year the same time everyone else starts the year. Now they're groomed, they're NHL groomed and everybody is picking up their play and it's difficult for anybody coming in, so we're not going to expect him to come in and play 25 minutes. We're going to give him a few minutes, see how he digests it. I'll probably go 7 defensemen that game and give him time to ease himself in and not ask too much from him."
http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/2013..._flyout_sports
Quote:
Like everyone else, Sustr noted the trust that GM Steve Yzerman was putting in his prospects, and how those players were getting a chance when they were recalled from the Syracuse Crunch.

That's why when the 6-foot-8, 222-pound Sustr made his final choice, he agreed to put his autograph on a contract with the Lightning.

"I know their scouts. They are great people, made a great impression on me,'' said Sustr, who attended the team's development camp last summer. "I didn't see a reason why I wouldn't want to be a part of that. I'm excited to get it going.

"I think the best fit for me is Tampa Bay. Steve Yzerman, he's a well-known guy and has a great character. Also, their coaching staff, they've been doing the right things. You can see the progress they've been making.''
Quote:
"I'm going to go down there, get familiar with their team, and we'll go from there,'' he said. "I think I'll be finishing up the season in the American Hockey League (with the Syracuse Crunch). I'm going to do my best and see how it goes.''
Quote:
"It's hard to leave school. But for me, three years in college,,,I got better each year. My skating got stronger. My overall game just elevated. If I stayed in college my senior year, I don't think I'd be able to (make) more progress.''
Quote:
"If I stick in Tampa, that'd be great,'' Sustr said. "But I understand, I have a lot of respect, for the American Hockey League. I have to earn my opportunity to be a steady hockey player. I think I can come in and contribute and be a good player for the Syracuse Crunch.''

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:08 AM
CC321

Red Line Report's take on him.

Quote:
Andrei Sustr/RD — Nebraska-Omaha. 6-8/220. 29 Nov 90 (Jr.)
Towering puck-moving blue-liner is one of the best passing defensemen in collegiate hockey - zips it hard and accurately on the tape. Smooth skater despite being so lanky. Calm and poised - never seems hurried. Sees the ice well and makes good decisions. Strong on the power play - creates shooting lanes and gets pucks on net. Reach is his best defensive asset and he affectively clogs up the middle and forces pucks to the perimetre. Huge behemoth plays a finesse game though, and we wish he had more of an edge.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:18 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpainter View Post
No word on terms yet?
1.350 mil for 2 years per Capgeek.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 387
Sustr arriving in Tampa: http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=662098 (video)

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote