HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Bruinbear

vCash: 500
anyone else think this silence by the NHL and glendale is deafening? I felt like we at least got a "two weeks" every "two weeks"

now? nothing, its like nobody is talking about a potential elephant in the room.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinbear View Post
anyone else think this silence by the NHL and glendale is deafening?
Ya, absolutely, could hear a pin drop. Quiet before the $%^& Storm thats gonna hit. Some serious finger pointing on its way, acrimony or..... more stasis, comatose for another season. Some sort of agreement reached with the NHL, more time bought. Just no idea what to make of it at this stage quite frankly.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Bruinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, absolutely, could hear a pin drop. Quiet before the $%^& Storm thats gonna hit. Some serious finger pointing on its way, acrimony or..... more stasis, comatose for another season. Some sort of agreement reached with the NHL, more time bought. Just no idea what to make of it at this stage quite frankly.
prepare to blame, or prepare to explain

Old
03-21-2013, 09:52 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
We could probably handle it-- except at the Trade Deadline.
Don't forget Free Agent Frenzy, (July) Fugu

Old
03-21-2013, 10:22 PM
aqib

Quote:
I think it means that there aren't any local buyers emerging, if there were we would have heard about them. The team is currently in a 3 way tie for 9th. There are still 7 home games after this one. No need to announce anything right now. Wait and see if there is a swoon and then announce the deal with QC. Also, as much as I think QC is #1, let Seattle's deal play out and see if you can get a bidding war.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
blues10

I hear crickets. I don't believe silence if very good for the Coyotes at this point in time.

However, on the positive side the NHL can still renew the lease at jobing.com for another 8 years.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I think it means that there aren't any local buyers emerging, if there were we would have heard about them.
Yes, I agree. Theres nothing happening, no news because no ones even putting up the remotest semblance of a pretence of interest anymore. Quadruple the going rate Arena Management Fee's off the table = no shows. Elvis has left the building.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Yes, I agree. Theres nothing happening, no news because no ones even putting up the remotest semblance of a pretence of interest anymore. Quadruple the going rate Arena Management Fee's off the table = no shows. Elvis has left the building.
Don't you mean Coyoti ?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Don't you mean Coyoti ?
Too dreadful to contemplate. Old Navajo Proverb; Coyoti is always out there, waiting, and Coyoti is always hungry. They believed the creatures to be Changelings. From temporal-physical to spectral non-sentient beings capable of great evil & malice, a creator of chaos, vengeful when even remotely slighted. Im kinda hopin thats true. Instant Karma for Gary Bettman & Bill Daly. Wake up in the middle of the night in their New York brownstones screaming. The type of horrifying scream where you scream & scream but nothing comes out yes? Looking up at a pair of baleful blood red eyes behind a set of bared & snarling 6" razor sharp canine incisors not one inch from their throats...

... so take that Mario Puzo. Godfather's & horse heads. That all you got?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Too dreadful to contemplate. Old Navajo Proverb; Coyoti is always out there, waiting, and Coyoti is always hungry. They believed the creatures to be Changelings. From temporal-physical to spectral non-sentient beings capable of great evil & malice, a creator of chaos, vengeful when even remotely slighted. Im kinda hopin thats true. Instant Karma for Gary Bettman & Bill Daly. Wake up in the middle of the night in their New York brownstones screaming. The type of horrifying scream where you scream & scream but nothing comes out yes? Looking up at a pair of baleful blood red eyes behind a set of bared & snarling 6" razor sharp canine incisors not one inch from their throats...

... so take that Mario Puzo. Godfather's & horse heads. That all you got?
I always bow to the master...

Old
03-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
I always bow to the master...
Excellent. Delta Flight 19 26/03/13 Departing Skyharbour 6:30PM, Arriving JFK 11:07PM. Returning 8AM 27/03/13 US Airways Flight 14 Arriving Skyharbour 12:33pm. Tickets at WillCall. In & out in under 8 hours. My man Oddjob will pick you up in New York in the 63 Lincoln with suicide doors. Asian fellow. Large. Bowler hat holding a sign up that says Llama with a crayoned drawing of yer avy. Dont upset him, crack off. No sense of humour and a Hell of a temper. Good man in a tight spot. He knows where to take you, gain entry. Look for him on Arrivals Concourse Level 1. Savvy?... and ya, wear that robe thingy. Pass through Security no problem. Wont even have to empty your pockets because you dont have any.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
[wiping liquid beverage from screen]

Shall I list all references to Ice Edge made in these threads this past year??
I was questioning the relevance of mentioning the Ice Edge guys in any connection with the actual sale and ownership of the Coyotes. Fallar actually included them as a potential, viable owner for the Coyotes in his "article". I was ridiculing that reference, and noting that they milked their involvement the Coyotes for publicity (and not the kind that might be found on HFB).

But I would never advocate taking them out of these threads. Taking them out of these threads would be like taking Rosencrantz and Guildenstern out of Hamlet. In fact, if one were to think of the Coyotes tale as a tragic comedy, I think that IEH would fit the role of those two perfectly. But, we know what happened to them in the end.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

The cone of silence has descended; will they stay or will they go? (I'm sure that song's been invoked numerous times)

Does anyone have the numbers for how Westgate fared during the lockout? Just curious if that particular shoe ever dropped?

Old
03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Does anyone have the numbers for how Westgate fared during the lockout? Just curious if that particular shoe ever dropped?
It dropped, but their not sure what it means, trying to figure it out. Parsing the numbers as Tanger's presence & their contributions in terms of generating increased traffic & tax receipts/returns is apparently difficult to precisely ascertain. Overall though the news was good, though Ive yet to see how they compare to the last 1/4 of 2011 when there wasnt a Lockout going on. My general understanding of the situation however is that there actually up over the same period in 11. Certainly good news, providing some comfort, reassurance that there will be life without the Coyotes provided Westgate continues to attract destination type retailers, the city hiring an Arena Manager thats aggressive, booking events, consumer & trade shows, concerts etc.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:50 AM
yotesreign

New plan leaked here: Coyotes will lose out, miss the playoffs and no one else will want them, so they'll have to stay in Arizona for another year!

Old
03-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Whileee

I can't believe I missed the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern allusion before. There definitely should have been a nomination for "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" for a thread title after one of IEH's failed initiatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
New plan leaked here: Coyotes will lose out, miss the playoffs and no one else will want them, so they'll have to stay in Arizona for another year!
It's worth a shot, I suppose. The opposite approach hasn't worked yet.

But the Thrashers have already tried that approach, and it didn't end happily for their fans.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:30 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post

It's worth a shot, I suppose. The opposite approach hasn't worked yet.

But the Thrashers have already tried that approach, and it didn't end happily for their fans.
Either way, it could soften the blow. From those who would say "yeah they left, but they mostly sucked" to those who would say "yeah they sucked, but we still got 'em!"

The folks it might hurt most would be the ones counting on getting a team that's better than expansion.... oh, yeah I can see that could hurt some...

I wonder if some Jets fans are still bitter they paid to watch the Eastern Conference Thrashers last season while the real/former Jets got into the WCFs against the eventual SC Champions. I suspect not though. The euphoria of having any NHL games to attend has got to outweigh a team's record, just as a 5 game losing streak, while nothing to sneeze at, easily falls within the boundaries of things that encompass "Hockey The Hard Way".

Old
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Either way, it could soften the blow. From those who would say "yeah they left, but they mostly sucked" to those who would say "yeah they sucked, but we still got 'em!"

The folks it might hurt most would be the ones counting on getting a team that's better than expansion.... oh, yeah I can see that could hurt some...

I wonder if some Jets fans are still bitter they paid to watch the Eastern Conference Thrashers last season while the real/former Jets got into the WCFs against the eventual SC Champions. I suspect not though. The euphoria of having any NHL games to attend has got to outweigh a team's record, just as a 5 game losing streak, while nothing to sneeze at, easily falls within the boundaries of things that encompass "Hockey The Hard Way".

I think even a team that may or may not make the playoff is way better than an expansion that WILL NOT make it for at least three years.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I can't believe I missed the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern allusion before. There definitely should have been a nomination for "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead"...
Ya, you gotta keep your eye on Whileee.... clever little Dickens is that one.... Hard Times... Bleak House... Great
Expectations...Tale of Two Cities.... The Haunted Man & the Ghosts Bargain.... prolific writer... paid by the word...

crams them in there.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
The cone of silence has descended; will they stay or will they go? (I'm sure that song's been invoked numerous times)

I have it from a very good source at least one of the major bars there came close to closing if the lockout hadn't ended, it would have for sure. Everyone in that place suffered, except probably the theatre. All you had to do was go there just about any night. Sad really.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Don't forget Free Agent Frenzy, (July) Fugu
If leafs make the playoffs this place will be crash city
They've already crashed it a couple of times the past couple of years.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
If leafs make the playoffs this place will be crash city...
Unhuh. Hows that gonna work out S&S when we've got Randy Carlyle barking out "Getzlaf, yer up, get out there, and Louie, loosen up, yer goin in" while the team sits in stunned silence? Never mind the creepy laughter emanating from the rafters at the ACC. Guy in a suit, tie undone, half mask on seen wandering the corridors by the cleaning crews long after midnight. Rather disturbing to say the least.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
If leafs make the playoffs this place will be crash city
They've already crashed it a couple of times the past couple of years.
The Blue Jays have already pushed the Leafs off the dial just with spring training games.

If someone throws a no-hitter or the team does really well early on, it will be "Leafs who"?

We are really that desperate for a major sports championship, and the illusion of the Blue Jays is much more brightly focused than the vague and fuzzy illusion the the Leafs are in any way close!

Old
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
The Blue Jays have already pushed the Leafs off the dial just with spring training games.

If someone throws a no-hitter or the team does really well early on, it will be "Leafs who"?

We are really that desperate for a major sports championship, and the illusion of the Blue Jays is much more brightly focused than the vague and fuzzy illusion the the Leafs are in any way close!
Hence... the evil genius mad-cap fans at Winnipeg's MTS Centre chanting "Let's Go Blue Jays", to rub salt in the Leafs' wounds as the Jets beat them in Winnipeg last week. Pretty dastardly, don't you think?

Old
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Hence... the evil genius mad-cap fans at Winnipeg's MTS Centre chanting "Let's Go Blue Jays", to rub salt in the Leafs' wounds as the Jets beat them in Winnipeg last week. Pretty dastardly, don't you think?
Yes.

And to think that as a kid I was a WCHL-WHA Jets [or at times Wheat Kings/1960's Flin Flon Bombers] fan!

Bobby Clarke and Reggie Leach for the Bombers, you know. Chuck Lefley for the Wheat Kings came to talk to my school. Never met a Jet, nor a Monarch, in person.

So, Jets fans, who was the al-time Frank Mahovlich of the Jr Jets?

Did he ever play for the Coyotes?

Last edited by Mork: 03-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Closed Thread