HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Weather GDT

Old
03-22-2013, 09:32 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Josh Classen says this is the snowiest March in the past 40 years. Wow.
wow...combined that with one of the snowiest Novembers...

this has to be one of the snowiest winters...maybe not as bad as 2 years ago but close

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:48 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Yeah I don't think it's up there with two years ago.

I wish our snow months were a bit more stable, but what can you do? Until I can convince my girlfriend to move to San Diego, I have to put up with this BS.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Well, I got a nice little bonus yesterday. Started the shovelling job and about 2 minutes in I hear a honk behind me. My neighbors nephew was sitting in his caterpillar waving me away. All sidewalks and driveway finished in about 5 minutes while I had a smoke in the garage.

I love my neighbors!

Last edited by Dorian2: 03-22-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
wow...combined that with one of the snowiest Novembers...

this has to be one of the snowiest winters...maybe not as bad as 2 years ago but close
I haven't lived in Edmonton for a long time. But the mid 70's, 73 or 74 if I remember correctly, was awful. Pushing cars out of drifts was a daily activity all of January and February.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
I haven't lived in Edmonton for a long time. But the mid 70's, 73 or 74 if I remember correctly, was awful. Pushing cars out of drifts was a daily activity all of January and February.
Probably more because of a few factors.

Less emphasis on needing to plow the roads immediately, smaller road ways, worse cars (rear wheel drive vechicles without traction control and other magic of today)

I see this alot, and it's simply isn't true. The weather has been worse and more all over the place, in terms of cold, heat, snow, rain, no rain, etc, in the last 20 years then EVER before it.

You can check the climate data, it's true.

obvisiously NOT counting the Tornado, nothing's worse then that.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:53 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is this for real?
Sorry, but I have no sympathy for bad drivers.

100 vechicles involved in a pile up screams incompetent drivers.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post

Partly, but the conditions were horrendous yesterday

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
and now try explaining the 10cm difference between the airport and Leduc ..
No way the airport got only 12 cm
noticed that too, South Edmonton and Leduc are over 20cm and the airport is at 12cm. Seems strange.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Partly, but the conditions were horrendous yesterday

Still drivers could've adjusted their driving yesterday.If you need to drive 50-70 on the highway then do it,if it means preventing injuries.I've seen too many times on the highway when it's snowing hard that drivers continue to drive 90-110.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:05 AM
timekeep

Quote:

Do you drive on highways much? Yesterday was whiteout conditions and the roads were icy. Even if you are only driving 60-80km/hr it is impossible to stop immediately. You are more less rolling the dice hoping that no one else is having problems. Yesterday I made a decision after driving for 5 mins on the hwys and turned around. Not everyone has that option.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:08 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Do you drive on highways much? Yesterday was whiteout conditions and the roads were icy. Even if you are only driving 60-80km/hr it is impossible to stop immediately. You are more less rolling the dice hoping that no one else is having problems. Yesterday I made a decision after driving for 5 mins on the hwys and turned around. Not everyone has that option.
Have you seen how many drivers that don't drive the right speed for the current conditions and how many tailgait to boot?

Old
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Have you seen how many drivers that don't drive the right speed for the current conditions and how many tailgait to boot?
There are some that drive too fast still when the conditions don't warrant it, but I don't think that was the problem yesterday.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Anybody on the QE2 or out Spruce Grove way today? How are the roads?

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
If everyone ran snow tires our roads would be much safer.
Yet theres no conclusive substantiation that this is actually the case. More study is required to come to this conclusion. I've already pointed out in the thread that the technology of traction control, ABS brakes, snowtires, 4 X 4 just allows more people to be comfortable driving in these conditions so in a sense adds crowding to roads and bumber to bumber traffic in inclement weather conditions where more people would formerly just stay home or limit driving. Additionally one of the biggest hazards of new road performance techologies(this is really what it is) is people having greater acceleration, and higher threshold speed in driving icy, comprised road surfaces.

Inate action being that people will all *safety* options simply end up driving faster, accelerating faster, because they can which causes its own obvious problems and compromises things like stopping distance, reaction time, etc, that the technology is supposed to enhance.

Finally, the technology basically results in a much great variance of speeds in poor road surfaces. So that you have some individuals driving speed limit (ill advised) because they think they can, while others are white knuckling it. The absolute difference in relative speeds out there introducing an unintended dangerous side effect to driver safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'd go to a much cheaper alternative first, make everyone that has never seen snow before take a winter driving course.
This. Period.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:59 AM
gqmixmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post

I think the issue was more with people driving on the highway in the first place, everyone and their dog could have read the forecast and understood that it was not smart. 100 preventable collisions IMO

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:02 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yet theres no conclusive substantiation that this is actually the case. More study is required to come to this conclusion. I've already pointed out in the thread that the technology of traction control, ABS brakes, snowtires, 4 X 4 just allows more people to be comfortable driving in these conditions so in a sense adds crowding to roads and bumber to bumber traffic in inclement weather conditions where more people would formerly just stay home or limit driving. Additionally one of the biggest hazards of new road performance techologies(this is really what it is) is people having greater acceleration, and higher threshold speed in driving icy, comprised road surfaces.

Inate action being that people will all *safety* options simply end up driving faster, accelerating faster, because they can which causes its own obvious problems and compromises things like stopping distance, reaction time, etc, that the technology is supposed to enhance.

Finally, the technology basically results in a much great variance of speeds in poor road surfaces. So that you have some individuals driving speed limit (ill advised) because they think they can, while others are white knuckling it. The absolute difference in relative speeds out there introducing an unintended dangerous side effect to driver safety.

This. Period.
I agree with you. The technology is damn good and a great tool, but it should be your last line of defense. Not "well i have snow tires on a 4x4 so i'm going to do what i want".

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:14 PM
alanschu

It is a last line of defense. Everytime my ABS kicks in I consider it covering for a mistake I made. Having said that, if I get into a place where ABS would kick in, I'd rather have ABS than not have it.

My ABS kicking in typically serves as a "the road conditions are not as good as you thought, Allan. Slow down."

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
It is a last line of defense. Everytime my ABS kicks in I consider it covering for a mistake I made. Having said that, if I get into a place where ABS would kick in, I'd rather have ABS than not have it.

My ABS kicking in typically serves as a "the road conditions are not as good as you thought, Allan. Slow down."
Unfiortunately in some road surfaces ABS actually increases required stopping distance. Which is poorly understood and rarely stated. The public basically isn't properly informed on some of the technology.

In anycase ABS is an arguably poor replacement for drivers that properly learned to pump brakes and inately do that.

Also, why is it just assumed that people know how to properly utilize ABS brakes. Its not in my drivers manual. With ABS you DON'T pump brakes. Which is fine for new drivers that never learned the habit. But put seasoned drivers out there with ABS brakes and guess what they inately do wnen needing to stop quick. Pump brakes, which is the worst thing you can do with ABS brakes.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Did anybody catch Colby Cosh's comments re: first responders on twitter yesterday? Pretty callous.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
For me it was 96 or 97 cant remember which. We set a record for number of days straight where it didnt get above -20, basically all of February. Then March and April stayed wet, cold and grey. Was a nasty winter and spring. Of course the next few years went the opposite direction and I was out rollerblading on xmas eve.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Did anybody catch Colby Cosh's comments re: first responders on twitter yesterday? Pretty callous.
Would be nice if you posted them!

All I need to survive this weather is FWD and winter tires.
I don't think my 2002 Sentra has traction control or ABS.

Last edited by Turrican*: 03-22-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
fysloc

I don't like ABS. It increases my stopping distance on black ice and while its good to have, its only good in perfect ideal situations that never happen (lots of road, no cars around you, lots of distance). In the city, it makes your situation worse, because you now cant stop in time, and its not like you can legally steer into another car to dodge the car infront of you.

Ofcourse, its a driver error that the car slipped in the first place, but really, city lights need a longer yellow light timer.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
oilersfan11

More than 160 collisions yesterday in the Edmonton region.

Source Global Edmonton

Old
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
I don't like ABS. It increases my stopping distance on black ice and while its good to have, its only good in perfect ideal situations that never happen (lots of road, no cars around you, lots of distance). In the city, it makes your situation worse, because you now cant stop in time, and its not like you can legally steer into another car to dodge the car infront of you.

Ofcourse, its a driver error that the car slipped in the first place, but really, city lights need a longer yellow light timer.
We need crosswalk lights that are all on the countdown timers. The whole let of the gas when you see the solid hand doesn't make sense when the solid hand stays solid for the whole green light. Have the timer countdown and make them all configered the same when so that when you see the solid hand you know the light is changing color.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We need crosswalk lights that are all on the countdown timers. The whole let of the gas when you see the solid hand doesn't make sense when the solid hand stays solid for the whole green light. Have the timer countdown and make them all configered the same when so that when you see the solid hand you know the light is changing color.
who came up with that idea? don't understand why someone has hit the walk button for the hand to come up on some of them.