HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calder traded to Philly for Handzus

Old
08-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Ford Prefect

vCash: 500
Calder traded to Philly for Handzus

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173304&hubname=nhl

Not really sure what to think about this. Philly is already loaded at centre, so the deal makes sense for them, but doesn't Calder have a work ethic problem (I don't remember if it was him or not)? If so, not long til he's in Clarkie's doghouse.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Drive425

This is yet another example of why Chicago has been and will continue to be a bottom feeder in the NHL. They trade their Goals/Assists/Points LEADER from last year for a fringe player in Philly. Makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Chicago could've gotten more regardless of Calder's work ethic or reputation. The President/GM in Chicago are an absolute joke.

Bill Wirtz =

Dale Talon =

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Ghost of Saku

To defend Chicago, they claim to have been looking for a suitable center for Havlat so maybe Handzus is the man

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'm sure somebody would've suggest that, he would've been laughed at.....

Philly wins this one hands down, and just with Calder becomes much more dangerous, much more complete. This guy will definately be a fan favorite over there...Would've love Calder but unfortunately we didn't have a tall centerman, underachiever, who plays 1 game out of 4......

Great move Hawks....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
This is yet another example of why Chicago has been and will continue to be a bottom feeder in the NHL. They trade their Goals/Assists/Points LEADER from last year for a fringe player in Philly. Makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Chicago could've gotten more regardless of Calder's work ethic or reputation. The President/GM in Chicago are an absolute joke.

Bill Wirtz =

Dale Talon =
Handzus is a fringe player? didn't know that. He's a damn good 2-way center.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Archijerej

I think some of you have misread. It's Handzus not Ondrus.

Archijerej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archijerej View Post
I think some of you have misread. It's Handzus not Ondrus.
Well Handzus looked like Ondrus last year (though he was injured most of the year...)....Great playoffs he had as well....Don't like him.....even though I even suggest him at one time for a possible Ribeiro's replacement and got laughed at.....3 of last 4 NHL seasons, he had 44 points...Calder had 1 53 and last one 59 with 26 goals and believe he's just beginning to look better and better.....Great defensively, much more speed and tons of energy to go with that.....

But again, it will look like a steal at one point next season not necessarily because of Handzus' bad play but more likely because of Calder's natural match made in heaven with Philly. Obviously, we didn't have the luxury of watching him that much 'cause in Chicago, but we will discover him soon enough....unfortunately....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 08-05-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Handzus is a fringe player? didn't know that. He's a damn good 2-way center.
Hands down Chicago lost this deal.

Calder had 26 goals 59 pts on at best an AHL Team playing against NHL competition. Handzus had 11 goals 44pts on a very competitive team with lots of talent up front. Sorry, Handzus has been spare parts his whole career. From St Louis to Pheonix to Philly always spare parts.

Decent player in his own right but compared to Calders potential..alot left to be desired IMHO.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 12:13 PM
montreal25m

contract status of both...??

Quote:

Calder had 26 goals 59 pts on at best an AHL Team playing against NHL competition. Handzus had 11 goals 44pts on a very competitive team with lots of talent up front. Sorry, Handzus has been spare parts his whole career. From St Louis to Pheonix to Philly always spare parts.

Decent player in his own right but compared to Calders potential..alot left to be desired IMHO.
I am not sure..but is Calder a UFA at season end..that could play a part of it. Not sure on Handzus except he is making around $800,000 less than Calder is this year.

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
imo, we should expect an increase in points production for both players next year.

However, i also think this deal is all in Philly favor.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

IMO this deal is a win-win situation, for now

Chicago desperately needed a good veteran (I strongly disagree with the ones who said he was a fringe player, man do some people like overly dramatic declarations...) at the center position, with Ruutu having trouble with injuries, and Smolinski better suited for 2nd, even 3rd line duties. He was playing in a stacked Philly team, and even played wing position last season, and was mostly used as a 3rd liner...

Philly gains a young player with tons of energy and grit, speedy scorer, who's getting better each and every year, and was putting nice points on a very poor Chicago team. Has yet to enter his prime at 27.

In the future, Philly win this deal, but right now, it's a good deal.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake
Would've love Calder but unfortunately we didn't have a tall centerman, underachiever, who plays 1 game out of 4......
Are you really sure about that ?

http://www.deniksport.cz/images/imgd.../phpzseriJ.jpg

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbolic View Post
Bada Bing! Bada BONK

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think it'll come down to chemistry. I've liked Handzus and thought he really imposed himself on games at time. Other times he has blended in with the board adverts. But he has usually had others relied on more heavily ahead of him in the lineup. With Chicago, well, they've moved Bell and Calder and basically have Havlat and a rag-tag bunch of wishes and prayers assembled around him. Handzus might get ice like he's never had before, and that might translate into something. Or not.

At least with Calder, you know for sure what you're getting. He can fit in nicely with a Philly team featuring Richards et co. and sporting a somewhat smaller average sweater size than most historic Philly teams. I'd take Calder for that safety factor. But it won't surprise me if Handzus plays well enough to make the trade look fine for the Hawks too.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well Handzus looked like Ondrus last year (though he was injured most of the year...)....Great playoffs he had as well....Don't like him.....even though I even suggest him at one time for a possible Ribeiro's replacement and got laughed at.....3 of last 4 NHL seasons, he had 44 points...Calder had 1 53 and last one 59 with 26 goals and believe he's just beginning to look better and better.....Great defensively, much more speed and tons of energy to go with that.....

But again, it will look like a steal at one point next season not necessarily because of Handzus' bad play but more likely because of Calder's natural match made in heaven with Philly. Obviously, we didn't have the luxury of watching him that much 'cause in Chicago, but we will discover him soon enough....unfortunately....

I'm not downgrading Calder at all. Assuming he'll thrive in Philly, that increases his value for them and not for Chicago. Chicago needed a center and got a rock solid two-way player in Handzus. He's not as agressive as Calder but he's a force along the boards, he also proved he can score enough. I can't see this as a bad trade for the Hawks.

Archijerej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 02:11 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:

what a terrible view point. yanic perreault had something like 55 points and 20+ goals with the habs back in 01-02 and why? he was the top center with koivu out of the lineup. like perreault, calder was the top center for an offensively challenged team. while handzus was a 2nd/3rd line guy (depending on where you rank jeff carter), that played a great deal on the PK.

here's a game, without checking up the stats tell me which career numbers belong to whom:
0.58ppg -27
0.57ppg +47

one of these players never got the opportunity to be a number one centerman, while one of them has (failed to notch 60 points, something which mike ribeiro was capable of doing).

handzus was acquired because he plays a two-way game and has had experience playing a little with the newly acquired martin havlat. both of which calder lacks.

handzus will end up having more points this year.

with that said, its a fairly even trade...given the fact that calder is the better SCORER and with primeau's career in question its something the flyers need.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 02:28 PM
MojoJojo

Handzus's biggest flaw is his skating. He is a defensive center and one of the slowest skaters in the league. His offense comes from cycling the puck very well, and being able to skate from behind the net to pick up garbage goals. He has good hands vision and passing, but linemates with Vrbata and Havlat? He will not be able to keep up with them on the rush. First line center is rather a stretch for him. IMO he is a decent second line center and very good shut down third line guy, but is being misused if they traded for him to fill a more offensive role.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 03:55 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173304&hubname=nhl

Not really sure what to think about this. Philly is already loaded at centre, so the deal makes sense for them, but doesn't Calder have a work ethic problem (I don't remember if it was him or not)? If so, not long til he's in Clarkie's doghouse.
I have a feeling you're thinking Arnason

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2006, 06:06 PM
tinyzombies

Not a good trade by Chicago, obviously. I can only think that Calder is a cancer in the lockerroom. But who wouldn't be the way that team has been run? Or maybe they were anticipating his out of whack salary. But at least keep him for a year and trade him at the deadline when his value is up. Why just dump him?

Handzus is big, which is the trend in scoring in the NHL, but he's also slow and inactive for long stretches.

They could have picked up a spare part on the market, they didn't need to trade future for him. Not like they're gonna win anything next season anyway.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
I have a feeling you're thinking Arnason
When I think to Ottawa not tendering him a qualifier, I think that you may be correct on that

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote