HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 04:25 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I honestly didnt even see your post but at least we are o the same page.

I havent seen anything on Osnovin, maybe a video?
He played for Russia in the last WJHC's in 2012-2013 in Russia.I had suggested getting Nicushkin if he was available at the same draft position as Tarasenko.16 if I recall John Davidson trading with Ottawa giving up David Rundblad for their pick.Like you say we're on the same page looking for ways our team can get better.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:10 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
As of right now, the Habs would be picking at the following spots in the first 3 rounds..

Old
03-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You do realize how difficult it is to trade from the 20s to the top 3, right? You can dream of Drouin all you want, but that's going to take something like Subban, Eller, Tinordi and half our picks.

You can play this game every year. Just imagine where we'd be if we somehow traded up for Tavares. And Drouin is no Tavares.
Subban for Drouin. I could see Colorado going for a trade like that if they are selecting 3rd or 4th overall and Drouin is stil on the board and Seth Jones isn't.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:03 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Subban for Drouin. I could see Colorado going for a trade like that if they are selecting 3rd or 4th overall and Drouin is stil on the board and Seth Jones isn't.
Are you serious?

Old
03-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I would hate that trade.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:38 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
As of right now, the Habs would be picking at the following spots in the first 3 rounds..

My picks: #27-JT Compher #33-Morgan Klimchuk #40-Johnathan Diaby #57-William Carrier #73-Mike McCarron #87-Tyler Hill substitute Samuel Morin or Samuel Henley as other 3rd rd picks if a player was drafted already and Laurent Dauphin in the 2nd rd for the same reason.I like the Habs drafting North American players if the talent is equal,it seems that they play harder in the SC Playoffs usually.European players are more interested in the WHC's than the SC Playoffs IMHO.

Last edited by S Bah: 03-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
That would be one of the dumbest moves in history...

Old
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Why? I thought we had a glut of awesome d-men and prospects.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Quote:
Why? I thought we had a glut of awesome d-men and prospects.
Quote:
Both Subban and Drouin are outstanding players at their positions,the Habs have a great defenceman that is having his best season thus far.Defencemen of his quality that have proven themselves are far more valuable,than an unproven forward in junior ranks not named Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux.Hopefully that clarifies the issue for you, there have in the past been #1 overall picks like Alexander Daigle and Doug Wickenheiser that weren't busts really,but they never played up to people's expectations.Bird in hand kind of thing.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:17 PM
FF de Mars

If we trade all our picks, what's the highest we could move up ?

Old
03-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
All our picks ? Even in a draft like that, I think we could realistically get a top 5 pick, even the first overall, that team would get a lot of depth out of that draft... but, I think we should keep them. Let Timmins work his magic.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Both Subban and Drouin are outstanding players at their positions,the Habs have a great defenceman that is having his best season thus far.Defencemen of his quality that have proven themselves are far more valuable,than an unproven forward in junior ranks not named Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux.Hopefully that clarifies the issue for you, there have in the past been #1 overall picks like Alexander Daigle and Doug Wickenheiser that weren't busts really,but they never played up to people's expectations.Bird in hand kind of thing.
or Scott Gomez or Wade Redden would be birds in the hand if you want to cherry-pick extreme outliers to make an absurd point.

Drouin might be the most offensively gifted player drafted in the last 5 years, it's far from being a terrible trade, how about if Colorado adds Erik Johnson and we add a piece or two?

Old
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
S Bah

Quote:
One can only guesstimate that,probably the best way for our GM to get a top ten pick is to make a trade ASAP with a team on the cusp of the playoffs.While having your best hockey minds figure out which team will have the worst chances of making the playoffs to trade with.Then follow that trade up with a couple more to insure the first team doesn't get into the playoffs.The extra picks and an opportunity in the lottery would be your best bet.After the trade deadline gather the accumulated picks at the draft and trade up,if you lose the lottery.At the worst you have a top fourteen pick and a couple more late 1st's or early 2nd's to add to an offer and you retain the picks you started with.Of course a few of your roster players or prospects have been traded to put your team in a position to draft high,but you may hurt your playoff aspirations at the same time.The Habs are still trying to build depth in Hamilton to stock the Habs in the future,so really no harm done by trying.IMO.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:23 PM
S Bah

Quote:
or Scott Gomez or Wade Redden would be birds in the hand if you want to cherry-pick extreme outliers to make an absurd point.

Drouin might be the most offensively gifted player drafted in the last 5 years, it's far from being a terrible trade, how about if Colorado adds Erik Johnson and we add a piece or two?
Sorry,I wasn't trying to be offensive,absurdity is in the eyes of the beholders. Cherrypicking is summer fun not to be confused with eyeopeners on the HF boards.Carry on my wayward son,I'll still be here when you are done.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Mats86

Quote:
I would trade Plekanec and our first to move up. Keep rest of our picks and could get in top15. 5 million we could could sign a guy to replace Pleks

Old
03-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Quote:
All our picks ? Even in a draft like that, I think we could realistically get a top 5 pick, even the first overall, that team would get a lot of depth out of that draft... but, I think we should keep them. Let Timmins work his magic.
Didn't the Islanders offer all their picks in the past draft to Edmonton for the 1st overall and it was refused?. I'm not so sure we would be able to move up that much, especially in the top 5. Might take a roster player IMO to make such a jump

Old
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
My picks: #27-JT Compher #33-Morgan Klimchuk #40-Johnathan Diaby #57-William Carrier #73-Mike McCarron #87-Tyler Hill substitute Samuel Morin or Samuel Henley as other 3rd rd picks if a player was drafted already and Laurent Dauphin in the 2nd rd for the same reason.I like the Habs drafting North American players if the talent is equal,it seems that they play harder in the SC Playoffs usually.European players are more interested in the WHC's than the SC Playoffs IMHO.
Have you watched him live in a game...seen him here playing the Blazers and he didn't stand out and seemed like a soft perimeter player. Lots I would draft before him...just my opinion. I like the Diaby / Morin / Carrier ideas tho

Old
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Didn't the Islanders offer all their picks in the past draft to Edmonton for the 1st overall and it was refused?. I'm not so sure we would be able to move up that much, especially in the top 5. Might take a roster player IMO to make such a jump
Their offer was to the Blue Jackets for the 2nd pick.

I agree, we wouldn't get into the top 5 by offering all of our picks.

Look at it from this perspective...at last year's draft, would you have traded the 3rd overall for a late 1st and a bunch of other picks? I sure wouldn't have. The teams that finish at the bottom will want to draft that stud prospect who could play next fall instead of getting a few lottery tickets.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Their offer was to the Blue Jackets for the 2nd pick.

I agree, we wouldn't get into the top 5 by offering all of our picks.

Look at it from this perspective...at last year's draft, would you have traded the 3rd overall for a late 1st and a bunch of other picks? I sure wouldn't have. The teams that finish at the bottom will want to draft that stud prospect who could play next fall instead of getting a few lottery tickets.
Last 4 drafts Timmins has done good in late rounds. Our 5th round pick alone may end up better than half who go in top 15.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Timmins-Boisvert-Lapointe in Quebec to watch Remparts-Sags tonight. So Erne-Dauphin-Duclair-Sorensen among 2013 draftees.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:58 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

Kid has 5 assists so far.. one period left.

Moose outshot SJ 48-8 so far.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:12 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Timmins-Boisvert-Lapointe in Quebec to watch Remparts-Sags tonight. So Erne-Dauphin-Duclair-Sorensen among 2013 draftees.
Pick both Dauphin and Erne would be a treat!

Old
03-22-2013, 07:28 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I really think we should sign or draft Etienne Marcoux. I think he's the real deal.

btw: Drouin goin' HAM vs Saint John. Gotta feel bad for those guys.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:

Look at the previous "greatest draft year ever". Who was picked at number 4 like you want Drouin at? Zherdev.

Top 5 picks don't all go on to become MVP calibre players. If he ends up like a Nathan Horton or Kyle Turris we will be very disappointed. If he ends up as a Brule, Alexeev, Svitov, Pouliot, etc. moving Subban for him could set our franchise back years.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
btw: Drouin goin' HAM vs Saint John. Gotta feel bad for those guys.
The scary thing is Drouin wasn't even Halifax's best player for once. Frk had a monster of a game.

Drouin, Mackinnon, Frk is such a ridiculous combination.

Closed Thread