HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo for Grabovski

Old
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Not really because you have Grabovski at 5.5 and how many teams might ask for Leafs to retain salary if he is traded?
Not sure as we aren't shopping him.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Lol overrating Frattin, turning 26 this year.
So what? Lol, he's an awesome hockey player. Wicked wrist shot, strong on his skates and hits. He's an undersized power forward with skill. No need to trade him.

In regards to Grabovski for Luongo.. I would do it. Simply because I hate watching Scrivens in net and I hate watching Grabovski play on the third line and be used incorrectly even more. He should be with skilled players and not getting 14 minutes a night. That's what you get with Randy Carlyle though, awful coaching.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:20 PM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
So what? Lol, he's an awesome hockey player. Wicked wrist shot, strong on his skates and hits. He's an undersized power forward with skill. No need to trade him.

In regards to Grabovski for Luongo.. I would do it. Simply because I hate watching Scrivens in net and I hate watching Grabovski play on the third line and be used incorrectly even more. He should be with skilled players and not getting 14 minutes a night. That's what you get with Randy Carlyle though, awful coaching.

sokocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi-wayman

OK, then how about Colborne, Blacker and a pick for Luongo? Could consider Scrivens rather than the pick

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:26 PM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
OK, then how about Colborne, Blacker and a pick for Luongo? Could consider Scrivens rather than the pick
I think if Gillis picked up the phone and made that offer to Nonis, Luo would be starting against Boston on Saturday. I like both those prospect a lot but this is the first trade offer that really helps our playoff push and doesn't cause any immediate holes in the roster.

sokocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Not sure as we aren't shopping him.
How do you know this? Have been quite a few rumors about Toronto looking for a center, must be looking for a replacement for someone?

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Vancouver isn't going to trade for Grabovski. No, a 3rd round pick isn't going to make it even.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
How do you know this? Have been quite a few rumors about Toronto looking for a center, must be looking for a replacement for someone?
Bozak is an UFA.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Bozak is an UFA.
The rumors I read they were looking at Ribiero and Roy. If I'm not mistaken they are UFAs to........? So.......replacing a UFA with another UFA........

Old
03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
The rumors I read they were looking at Ribiero and Roy. If I'm not mistaken they are UFAs to........? So.......replacing a UFA with another UFA........
I believe it's because they have no intention of resigning Bozak, so they may move him for an asset while they can.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
AtotheT
Sick, Wicked & Nazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Blazers View Post
Vancouver isn't going to trade for Grabovski. No, a 3rd round pick isn't going to make it even.
LOL. VAN will continue to sit on Luongo unless you trade him .50 on the dollar, not sure what you're expecting in return. The Leafs are in a playoff position and Reimer is 10-4-3, we don't NEED Luongo right now.

AtotheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Numbers

Quote:
I believe it's because they have no intention of resigning Bozak, so they may move him for an asset while they can.
But then give up assets to acquire one those other guys?

Old
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Ribs in an upgrade on Bozak, they'd look to resign him.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post

so just a forward

Makes sense for both teams I think. Both are a little overpaid but Luongo helps them in goal (even tho Riemer has been good enough)

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Ribs in an upgrade on Bozak, they'd look to resign him.
Doesn't make much sense, unless they have a deal lined up to trade Bozak or Grabovski. You said they aren't shopping Grab, but Carlyle isn't utilizing him enough and he isn't producing. Not saying Leafs are shopping him or not, but sounds like they are shopping someone. In my opinion it could be either, but now you can understand my point of asking you how do you know Grabovski is not being shopped.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
Whether Grabovski is being shopped or not, the Leafs could easily keep Grabo while Van needs to deal a goaltender, and even Nonis is shrewd enough to realize that.

Zoombie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
His contract hampers any team he'll be traded to.

A good example is Brad Richards. Horrendous contract that he didn't live up to in his first season with New York, and he looks significantly worse this season on top of that. He's a better player than Grabovski though in stature, but would I trade Grabovski for him now? Hell no.

Richards might rebound and produce but the reason I won't want him is his contract.

With Luongo, Leafs fans might make an exception as stability in net is something we've lacked since Belfour. Toronto needs a capable number 1, but Luongo's contract is too much.

There have to be concessions made on both sides here. Luongo trade will create cap flexibility for Canucks who already have a number 1 in Schneider itching to take over permanently. Toronto needs to realize that Luongo is at least worth an NHL ready player who can contribute, and not trash like Komisarek.

That's why a swap of Grabovski (a top 6 forward) + Scrivens (capabale backup with potential to improve) for Luongo makes sense.
Scrivens brings really no value at all to this deal.

I think Jay and Bourne are right (Though I don't agree Schroeder should be traded)

5.5 is too much, if you could even take 500k - 1 Mill off the contract, that would be great.

Although I think you guys are really making Luongo contract out to be more than it is, the Grabovski contract has much worse affects to us than the Luongo contract does to you.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Teams do that for the playoffs.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:53 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post

I think Jay and Bourne are right (Though I don't agree Schroeder should be traded)

5.5 is too much, if you could even take 500k - 1 Mill off the contract, that would be great.

Although I think you guys are really making Luongo contract out to be more than it is, the Grabovski contract has much worse affects to us than the Luongo contract does to you.
Except for the extra 5 years.....

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:59 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
Whether Grabovski is being shopped or not, the Leafs could easily keep Grabo while Van needs to deal a goaltender, and even Nonis is shrewd enough to realize that.
i dont think it is a matter of being shrewd. pretty sure its just common sense realizing that any team would have difficulty if they had $9.3 million tied up in net.

i admit that math is not my strong suit but i dont see how vancouver is not going to be ****ed cap wise. after next season the sedins are ufa. with the amount getzlaf and perry just signed for i dont see how these resign for less. vancouver defense is also very pricey and locked up long term.

personally, i hope nonis doesnt let gillis off the hook.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:

You know...i could sprinkle icing sugar and gumdrops on top of a steaming pile of ****....i could then tell everybody "it really doesn't taste that bad"......at the end of the day, it still tastes like a steaming pile of ****.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
LEAFSIN4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokocanuck View Post
I think if Gillis picked up the phone and made that offer to Nonis, Luo would be starting against Boston on Saturday. I like both those prospect a lot but this is the first trade offer that really helps our playoff push and doesn't cause any immediate holes in the roster.
We're not taking on a $5 mil cap hit for prospects

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
Quote:

Scrivens is just to back up Schneids while Lack is injured. If he didnt go in the trade, he will be waived by TO anyways to fit Louie.

I don't think Nonis is going to retain salary out of the goodness of his heart, what does he care if Vancouver is up against the cap? Van is no worse off than if they keep Luongo, but paying 2 starting goalies in the salary cap era doesn't make much sense.

Zoombie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Grabo + Scrivens + 2nd for Luongo + Shroeder
No way. Overpayment.

Quote:
I don't think Grabo + Scrivens for Luongo adds enough value to the Leafs. They would lose their 2/3 line center for a relatively marginal upgrade in goal over Reimer, and then they have a new hole to fill with only $200k salary cap extra to play with.
LOL.

Scrivens holds next to no value in the deal.

And that upgrade in goal would be major, not marginal.

Quote:
Lou and Grabovski have pretty much the same cap hit... So you guys are already crippled cap wise? Is the plan then to buy out Luongo or trade him for futures only? I would think Grabo would at least help you guys to make the playoffs more than having an all star goalie riding the pine
That's the problem. An elite goaltender is making slightly less than an average 2nd line C.

We don't plan to keep Luongo till next season, so adding a big contract at this point doesn't make much sense, especially if it is north of 5 Million.

If it was around 4.5 or even 5, I think it would make the deal alot of feasable, and I don't see what the big issue with taking 1 million of cap in it is, but you guys don't seem willing to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
God no. Man is Schroeder underrated.
I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Except for the extra 5 years.....
What do that exactly mean?

what is the affect?

Elite goaltending, then even when he starts to decline a tad at 38-40. (if he is still playing) you will still get high quality goaltending, probably what you get from Riemer now, maybe a bit more due to experience.

And you get all that at an exceptional cap number.

Basically you get Luongo as long as you need him, then you could either buy him out later on, or just pay the small penalty which would probably be 2 million at the most, really not much.

It's great to say "its a longer deal" or whatever, but breakdown the affects it will really have, and you will see it isn't as bad as what its made out to be.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
You know...i could sprinkle icing sugar and gumdrops on top of a steaming pile of ****....i could then tell everybody "it really doesn't taste that bad"......at the end of the day, it still tastes like a steaming pile of ****.
Go look at the details yourself.

So many Leaf fans saying its bad, and I doubt most of them even know the ins and outs of what the deal actually entails and what that might mean in terms of the affect on your team.

Probably not as bad as what you think.

Quote:
Scrivens is just to back up Schneids while Lack is injured. If he didnt go in the trade, he will be waived by TO anyways to fit Louie.

I don't think Nonis is going to retain salary out of the goodness of his heart, what does he care if Vancouver is up against the cap? Van is no worse off than if they keep Luongo, but paying 2 starting goalies in the salary cap era doesn't make much sense.
Exactly, he would be lost either way. So really no value.

I think he would retain it if that is what makes the deal go through. Especially if the retain is something as little as 500k - 1 Mill.