HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Halpern (Claimed by Montreal)

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
I would MUCH rather see Halpern than Boyle centering the 4th line, especially when you consider the cap hit.

This is, assuming he is claimed, one of the dumbest things this team has done over the last couple of years. I can't overstate how annoyed I was to see this.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Vitto79

they didnt need to waive Halpern to make room for Fast............plus Fast has to go to the minors first to prove himself

It has to be to make room for a deal by the deadline or signing Zuccarello.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't know if he should be resigned but agreed, he's been more noticeable than the rest of the bottom 6.

I don't feel as strongly about it as you do, but there have been some bad decisions by management this year. Wasting Miller's ELC, dicking around Kreider at the beginning of the year instead of letting him stay in the AHL, not resigning MZA....disappointing.
Helpern is a good 4c. He is a good skater, fills his role well, good on face-offs, good PKer, isn't a black hole offensively and he is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
You know your good defensively when you have 0 goals on the year and the fan base still likes you.
Exactly.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:03 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I would MUCH rather see Halpern than Boyle centering the 4th line, especially when you consider the cap hit.

This is, assuming he is claimed, one of the dumbest things this team has done over the last couple of years. I can't overstate how annoyed I was to see this.
Another good point. They HAVE to have done this because they wanted to waive the guy most likely to be claimed in order to clear a contract. Right? Right...?

(And if so, I certainly hope they at least TRIED to get a 7th rounder for him before making the move.)

Old
03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

A lot of uproar over a guy who has been the definition of mediocre: not good, not bad. Most of us had low expectations and he fulfilled them.

I guess that is just to say... Who cares? I have no problem with Halpern, but this move really doesn't matter.

And Boyler87, that's why there isn't any analysis.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

This makes less sense than a soup sandwich. The Rangers organization continues to be the world's longest running dark comedy

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Old
03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
This is idiotic. Halpern was the least of the bottom six issues. He's terrific defensively, great on face offs, and hustles. Still a fast skater.

He's been significantly better than Pyatt, Boyle, Asham, Powe, and the rest of the revolving turnstile of crap getting bottom six minutes.

He's been clearly the best signing from the offseason. No, he doesn't contribute offensively, but none of these scrubs do. Why get rid of the best defender among them?

I'm disgusted. This guy should be kept and resigned for next year.
Yeah, i really dont get this. If he scores on that one play last night (the best chance hes had in games) is he waived? Hes actually one of the only "energy" players the Rangers have out of the bottom 6. Now thats gone. Awesome. Less speed now.

If Torts ever decides to open it up a little, they are going to need Halpern and his speed. You have to keep that option, not to mention his versatility in other areas defensively.

When the Rangers lost Powe Torts cried about that and all the little things he does - he supplies less than Halpern IMO. Silly move. Would love to know the thought process behind this and who made the decision on this one.

Powe had a concussion, what happens if he gets whacked again? Now you are down two top PKers...

Shaking my head on this one guys...

Old
03-22-2013, 02:08 PM
NYR Viper

He will be claimed. I could see Vancouver claiming him. Or Boston considering they are a smart run franchise.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Richter Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Another good point. They HAVE to have done this because they wanted to waive the guy most likely to be claimed in order to clear a contract. Right? Right...?

(And if so, I certainly hope they at least TRIED to get a 7th rounder for him before making the move.)
This is the part I just really don't understand. I wouldn't have chosen Halpern to waive of all people. But if the plan is just to make room for a contract (regardless of whether you'd waive or try to get rid of someone else's contract) I just don't buy that Sather couldn't have squeezed something out of Halpern rather than give him up for free...? Said this on the first page. What gives? Sather continues to boggle the mind.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I still maintain theres more than meets the eye here, either being:

1. hope to clear a contract in preparation for a 2 for 1 deal.
2. Halpern is a problem in the locker room

I cant understand why they'd just waive him for no reason, considering theres like 6 guys in front of him that deserve it more.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:11 PM
JanErixon20

Halpearn has 1 point, is a minus player and is winning less than 60% of his faceoffs, which is why he was brought here mainly. Why are people upset by this move?

Old
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Kershaw

Good. He wasn't that good. Not that anyone else on the bottom 6 is better, but I'm glad this happened. Slowly excreting the deadweight on this team.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

I could definitely see the Canucks claiming him. No center depth there.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
03-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
This. I agree 100%.

Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Helpern is a good 4c. He is a good skater, fills his role well, good on face-offs, good PKer, isn't a black hole offensively and he is cheap.

Exactly.
I agree completely, but that's why i'm not THAT upset. He's a 4c. Usually replaceable. The problem, though, is that the rest of the bottom 6 hasn't been as good as he has. I think it's a stupid move but not something to be too mad about in a vacuum.

Old
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
Halpearn has 1 point, is a minus player and is winning less than 60% of his faceoffs, which is why he was brought here mainly. Why are people upset by this move?
Because he is great on Defense and his speed provides more chances than someone like Brian Boyle.

Also, there are 3 players in the league with a FO% above 60.

03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
This is the part I just really don't understand. I wouldn't have chosen Halpern to waive of all people. But if the plan is just to make room for a contract (regardless of whether you'd waive or try to get rid of someone else's contract) I just don't buy that Sather couldn't have squeezed something out of Halpern rather than give him up for free...? Said this on the first page. What gives? Sather continues to boggle the mind.
Gorton was probably the one who was behind this move, considering Sather is sidelined right now...

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Yeah, you're right

Just like Weise

03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Good. He wasn't that good. Not that anyone else on the bottom 6 is better, but I'm glad this happened. Slowly excreting the deadweight on this team.
If we are going to clear dead weight lets start with the guy in your avatar

Old
03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I still maintain theres more than meets the eye here, either being:

1. hope to clear a contract in preparation for a 2 for 1 deal.
2. Halpern is a problem in the locker room

I cant understand why they'd just waive him for no reason, considering theres like 6 guys in front of him that deserve it more.
Like who? Every player on the team who isn't playing well right now can to contribute more to the team than they are. Halpern might be playing okay, but okay is his ceiling at this point. The only one I'd agree with you on is Boyle, but his level right now is exactly the same as Halperns is, and that isn't Boyles ceiling.

I'm not sure if there is another move coming or not, but this really isnt something we should be wondering about.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I mean, this move isn't the end of the world by any stretch but there are way more dead weight players on the team. Halpern at least completed what he was brought in to do.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Orr Nightmare

Haleprn sucked and I said at the beginning of the season he wouldn't be on the team by the end of the year.

He was a little better than 50-50 and that's about it...the Rangers suck this year because they revamped their entire bottom six and everyone they brought in has sucked.

We have become one of if not the softest teams in the league in the blink of an eye. Every time you want to say Sather is doing ok...he royally ****'s it up again...hand over the organization to Gorton already....this league has passed you by.

Everyone claims that he is a master at trading...we got hosed on the Kundatrek trade and everyone brushed it aside as like we have so much defensive depth that we didn't need the kid...real smart given away an asset for nothing...he keeps falling for the same type of players...gives away Lauri for Lisen, gives away this kid for Bouchard, gives away Tyutin for Zherdev...gives up a lot for Nash even though he is worth it.

You know what a good GM is...I guy who trades away alex goligoski for James Neal and the throw in winds up being better that the guy you gave away, Matt niskanen or trades away Ryan Whitney for Chris Kunitz and he forced the ducks to add in Tangradi.

He could have righted the ship this year by claiming Frazer McLaren or signing Mark Fraser when he was dumped by the Devils last year. They could have acquired Keaton Ellerby for a 5th. Matt Kassian for a 6th.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 03-22-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 02:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I wouldve waived Powe, who already had a concussion this season and has shown probably the least amount of offensive ability out of the bottom 6. Not to mention a bigger cap hit and another year on his contract.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:20 PM
NYR Viper

Players who will be here next year:
Boyle
Asham
Haley
Pyatt
Powe

IMO they should be moving a couple of those guys mentioned above. Not Halpern who is a UFA. They have young players who will be pushing for spots and the guys above have all been meh, at best.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Chicago will claim him.

Closed Thread