HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Travis Ewanyk Signed to 3-Year ELC

Old
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
injuries killed him.

A few guys I know who go to all the Oil king games said that after his last set of injuries he has lost the edge that he needs to be an NHL and not an AHLer

I still have hopes for him to be a Mike Peca type player

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:57 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I still see him as a longshot to have an NHL career, but I think this organization will give him every opportunity to prove me wrong. Spurgeon was used as more of an offensive weapon with the Rockets than Ewanyk is with the OKs, but I see them as similar type of player in the pros. I just hope Ewanyk doesn't have the same issues with injuries (though he's already had one fairly big one).

Good for Travis to get his ELC. Can anyone tell me if he's still eligible for junior next year?
Yes he is, and it wouldnt shock me to see him stay another year so he can work on his offensive side of his game

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Musashi

Really like what Ewanyk brings, he just needs to prove he can stay healthy

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
injuries killed him.

A few guys I know who go to all the Oil king games said that after his last set of injuries he has lost the edge that he needs to be an NHL and not an AHLer

I still have hopes for him to be a Mike Peca type player
Disagree with the injurieskilled him I think he came back stronger. We all know I am huge Ewanyk fan, but I think it is pushing hoping for him to become a peca type player. He will play a lot tougher and he is good in his own end, but minus the offence of peca

Old
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Reminds me of Liam Reddox

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:18 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I still see him as a longshot to have an NHL career, but I think this organization will give him every opportunity to prove me wrong. Spurgeon was used as more of an offensive weapon with the Rockets than Ewanyk is with the OKs, but I see them as similar type of player in the pros. I just hope Ewanyk doesn't have the same issues with injuries (though he's already had one fairly big one).

Good for Travis to get his ELC. Can anyone tell me if he's still eligible for junior next year?
That's what scares me, he's not a regular draft pick. He's one you really got to see grow. Cutting ties with him will be hard if they ever have to come to that road.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Reminds me of Liam Reddox
If Reddox was tough and mean.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's what scares me, he's not a regular draft pick. He's one you really got to see grow. Cutting ties with him will be hard if they ever have to come to that road.
For me I do not like the idea cutting ties with any prospects--we have so much dead weight at different level of the organization.. there are position in the organization where he could fit in nicely and if he stays healthily he could be on the team in 5 years or so

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Hope the best for him now that he's signed to an ELC.

Hopefully he doesn't also become like many of the other 2nd round and later prospects that are looking generally underwhelming.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
For me I do not like the idea cutting ties with any prospects--we have so much dead weight at different level of the organization.. there are position in the organization where he could fit in nicely and if he stays healthily he could be on the team in 5 years or so
I don't have that much issue in giving him the contract as much as they will have a tough time deciding to cut him and waive him, if the time comes.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
8G -15A-23 PTS...on one of the best Jr. hockey teams in the country

am I missing something here?
The guy is a checker not a scorer... He'll need to be good enough to go against the top NHL lines and shut them down if he is to become a NHL regular..
He failed to contain RNH and Rebels a couple yrs ago but had no help from any of the other Oilkings.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
M00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The guy is a checker not a scorer... He'll need to be good enough to go against the top NHL lines and shut them down if he is to become a NHL regular..
He failed to contain RNH and Rebels a couple yrs ago but had no help from any of the other Oilkings.
The problem is that checkers in the NHL were scorers in the WHL. Even Brodziak had 90+ points in juniors. I just don't see enough offensive upside to justify wasting a contract on him. I hope he proves me wrong, I just highly doubt it.

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:58 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Seems odd that this is the first one signed. Gernat, Bigos and Rieder all seem like better prospects.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:05 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Seems odd that this is the first one signed. Gernat, Bigos and Rieder all seem like better prospects.
agreed

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:30 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se View Post
The problem is that checkers in the NHL were scorers in the WHL. Even Brodziak had 90+ points in juniors. I just don't see enough offensive upside to justify wasting a contract on him. I hope he proves me wrong, I just highly doubt it.
Most teams didn't draft those guys thinking they would be 3rd or 4th line checkers. That is mostly just players adapting to a different role so they can continue their dream of become an NHL player.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
agreed
Honestly he was the one prospect I could of done without. He has VV written all over him. AHL filler. Hope I'm wrong, but zero offence at the Jr level likely means that this is contract they are going to want back in a year........

Old
03-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Honestly he was the one prospect I could of done without. He has VV written all over him. AHL filler. Hope I'm wrong, but zero offence at the Jr level likely means that this is contract they are going to want back in a year........
He might end of a Filler, but he'll play a harder game then VV could imagine.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:37 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Most teams didn't draft those guys thinking they would be 3rd or 4th line checkers. That is mostly just players adapting to a different role so they can continue their dream of become an NHL player.
Most of the best 3/4 line checkers are former 1st/2nd round picks who's offence didn't translate. For a guy with zero offence it just doesn't look like it will end well.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:42 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Most of the best 3/4 line checkers are former 1st/2nd round picks who's offence didn't translate. For a guy with zero offence it just doesn't look like it will end well.
Honest question and I do not mean it rude at all, but how many times have you seen him play today? Ewanyk is a great skater with awesome defensive capibility. He checking line skills I think will have no problem translating into NHL skills.

Old
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He might end of a Filler, but he'll play a harder game then VV could imagine.
I would hope so. I just don't see the upside in signing guys who have little to no NHL upside when there are better prospects to be signed and limited contracts to use.

Old
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
8G -15A-23 PTS...on one of the best Jr. hockey teams in the country

am I missing something here?
Perhaps watching him play and understanding his role on that team. They don't win solely on scoring...

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Perhaps watching him play and understanding his role on that team. They don't win solely on scoring...
Most of the people bashing this signing have not seen him play and are just going off of stats. Stats do not tell the whole story

Old
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
He will make it too the show before Bigos does.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:50 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Honest question and I do not mean it rude at all, but how many times have you seen him play today? Ewanyk is a great skater with awesome defensive capibility. He checking line skills I think will have no problem translating into NHL skills.
I've watched 12-15 times. I know he can skate and is good defensively and I've always enjoyed his style of game. IMO I guy like him is a luxury not a most sign guy when there are higher upside guys left to be signed. If they sign the rest of those guys and it still leaves contract flexibility I'm fine with it.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Most of the people bashing this signing have not seen him play and are just going off of stats. Stats do not tell the whole story
Exactly. He carries the qualities that the Oilers clearly lack and Oil fans all are quick (including myself) to point out. He has great character in his grit, leadership, excellent awareness in all zones (primarily his own zone) as well as excellent face off ability and an underrated skill set with the puck that comes as a minor upside in addition to the aforementioned qualities. Not too mention he has no problem shedding the mitts with good ability and likes to throw his solid frame. Did I mention he's a centre?

Good prospect, good signing.

His development as been delayed by injuries though. Something people need to consider before criticizing his potential.

Far too much stats column crunching. Yes they matter, but people need to consider more than this. He is your prototypical shutdown centre with size, skating and a slight offensive upside. Something we so desperately desire.

Last edited by Grod: 03-22-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Grod is offline   Reply With Quote