HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

The New York Islanders Get No Respect

Old
03-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Slashers98

vCash: 500

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-new-...et-no-respect/

Slashers98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Macch

You get what you earn

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

I will say this about officiating in all aspects should have nothing to do with respect. It should be a level playing field and in the NHL it is not.

03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
You get what you earn
you mean you get what you pay for.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
I will say this about officiating in all aspects should have nothing to do with respect. It should be a level playing field and in the NHL it is not.
Agreed. Shouldn't be about respect, the refs SHOULD be objective and should always make the call if it is there. I really hate the idea of make up calls and all of that, that is everything that reffing SHOULDN'T be. If you commit a penalty then it should be called, plain and simple. Not really a fan of the "swallowing the whistle" crap either, the refs have a job to do and they should be doing it.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
CDirt

Always thought that game against Pittsburgh was the best thing to happen to this franchise since their last playoff series win. It was nothing different than what a lot of team were doing in the same stretch. Boston and Montreal had a fight filled affair in the same week. Those scraps started the minute the puck dropped and didn't end till the final buzzer.

Leading up to that game there have been a lot of liberties taken against Islanders players with no call from the league. One of the more blatant ones was Hollwegs boarding play on Simon which led to the axe handle swing. Hollwed should have gotten time for that hit on the numbers as well as the head shot.

That same year a few hits to the head went uncalled during the playoff series against Buffalo. Team is in the same position now as it was back then. It has to fight it's way to getting those calls. Whatever has happened with Cappy since that epic Pittsburgh game is anyone's guess. I thought we had a coach that had the guts to shut out the ridiculousness from the league offices and do what it takes to get this team to the next step.

Of course Wang and Snow had their say in allowing Konopka to walk and burying Haley in the minors. Probably more Wang than Snow. Snow as a player was never one to stand for the crap.

Used to be that if the refs weren't going to look out for the players safety when liberties were taken, the players did it themselves. They turned the game ugly. In order for a ref to have any kind of authority to control a game there has to be some agreement amongst the participants to allow it. I can't imagine the ref blowing a call with Phaneuf decking Crosby and the players, coaches and GMs sitting silent about it.

Something stinks in the league and it has for awhile. It's just that the rot has gotten noticeable. I don't entirely think their handling of things is the reason why this team sits where it does. It certainly is a factor though.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:29 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Isles suck but last night's embelishment call on Aucoin was a joke. Wish they could fine and suspend refs.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Wedregast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Spot on.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Here is a different expression:

If you can't beat them, join them.

All it would take is an upgrade or two to significantly improve this club past being ignored by the refs and everyone else. When the media follows you they too tend to notice and comment on bad officiating. The refs know this. The league knows this. Snow knows this too and would probably address the problem, but Chuck won't let him. Start with a real coach and go from there.

I can't support this whining about officials when the owner could care less if Tavares winds up with a fractured neck or no real linemates.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
iLandHer

It's irritating to watch as a fan. I'm not a fan of the favoritism I see even when the Isles aren't playing. I can watch just about any Pittsburgh game and the special treatment is given time and time again.

Protecting the stars is one thing, but protecting some of the stars and ignoring the others is a beyond ridiculous (not to say that I'm a fan of protecting the stars specifically).

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Isles suck but last night's embelishment call on Aucoin was a joke. Wish they could fine and suspend refs.
this....Subban has like 60-70 pounds and 5-6 inches on Aucoin, it was not hard to tell he lost his balance... also Subban was not penalized for roughing when Aucoin was not even close to the goalie...

I dont Know what TOR was looking at that made them call Aucoins goal no good, I saw no kicking motion.

We have had really bad luck but at the end of the day you gwt respect by winning and running your franchise the right way.

I understand everyplayer says they are treated very well but the Buisness part counts as well...You cant be trading for a Phantom cap hit and get to much respect when thats the most moves you will make...

Also back to the losing and bad luck, getting better players in here would help that a bit. You cant hav a team full of 4th liners,minor leaguers and waiver pick ups and get much respect...

I will say his though, I do find it a bit odd that the Isles always seem to be on the wrong side o f things more often than not....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
this....Subban has like 60-70 pounds and 5-6 inches on Aucoin, it was not hard to tell he lost his balance... also Subban was not penalized for roughing when Aucoin was not even close to the goalie...

I dont Know what TOR was looking at that made them call Aucoins goal no good, I saw no kicking motion.

We have had really bad luck but at the end of the day you gwt respect by winning and running your franchise the right way.

I understand everyplayer says they are treated very well but the Buisness part counts as well...You cant be trading for a Phantom cap hit and get to much respect when thats the most moves you will make...

Also back to the losing and bad luck, getting better players in here would help that a bit. You cant hav a team full of 4th liners,minor leaguers and waiver pick ups and get much respect...

I will say his though, I do find it a bit odd that the Isles always seem to be on the wrong side o f things more often than not....
I'm sorry to disagree and it probably is the years of reffing in me but the way Aucoin went down on first look I thought it was embellishment too and I was kinda embarrassed for him.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
JeffNYI

It's awesome when some fans pretend they play for the team and speak like the players and coaches do:

We have to rise above it. We can't put ourselves in that position. Bla Bla Bla.

The facts are that not only are we on the short end of the stick when it comes to mistakes in officiating, but the MOMENTUM changes they create are often game changing. The timing of the bad calls is something that should be looked in to. Every year 8 to 12 points are lost as a direct result of a decision made by league employees that was a mistake.

Yes we should not be tied 3-3 with Ottawa in the 3rd. But we WERE.

It's sports. We can't have a 10 goal lead every game. Just because we allowed a team to cone back and tie the game doesn't absolve the NHL employees who clearly cost us points.

So keep pretending you're above criticizing the refs because you blame the Isles for not living up to your expectations of their play.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:25 PM
cjdv16

I don't normally talk this way, but what I've seen in the last week has me largely believing that there are some very suspect practices within the NHL.

From the officiating to the calls from Toronto, it's quite clear that the NHL wants big market teams in this shortened (and potentially very debilitating -- due to the lockout) season.

Look no further than the officiating of the Isles-Ottawa and Isles-MTL games.

In contrast, go look at Rick Nash's leaping elbow to the back of Kopecky's head and tell me how Brendan Shanahan doesn't suspend him.

If that's JT, he sits for 2 games. Easily.

And if I was an Isles fan at the MTL game, it would have been difficult for that Ref to have left the Colisseum unscathed.

The blatant non-calls in that 3rd period (think.... 7 MTL players on the ice; think.... Poulin getting shoulder blocked by a Georges) were a complete joke.

Somebody's playing puppet w/the refs, goal decisions in Toronto, and Shanahan.

It's too damn obvious.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:26 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
One of my biggest problems with the calls or lack thereof, is that almost all of this happens on home ice?!?!? This is where I think the lack of respect comes from the ref's. I truly believe that ref's in any sport can be influenced by the crowds. Now i know the old barn doesn't always draw big crowds but come on...

Also not to harp on the Penguin brawl. But if you go back and watch the tape of that game the Pen's actually initiate/start more fights then the Islanders and Bylsma replaced Mr. Ed in goal with Johnson and you cannot tell me this was not to initiate a fight as Johnson had just knocked out DP? Just saying...

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I'm sorry to disagree and it probably is the years of reffing in me but the way Aucoin went down on first look I thought it was embellishment too and I was kinda embarrassed for him.
Um, if you've ever skating, you'll understand his fall.

It wasn't embellishment.

That ref needs his ass kicked.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
TeamKidd

The blatant bias of the officiating is disgusting. There are some officials, and really it is only some, and more often when we are playing canadian teams, that really seem to have a tilt in their perspective on what is happening on the ice. My major concern is not whether Aucoin gets called for an embellishment penalty or whether a puck going into the bench can be called delay of game...its the absolute cheap shots on JT that worry me. Over time, these will ABSOLUTELY impact his game. Players that get beat on early and often retire faster. their skills erode faster. the way dion phaneuf has hit SEVERAL islanders repeatedly...and he's not the only one...with borderline, questionable, dirty hits is inexcusable...and to have them be completely "missed" or let go or ignored or painfully construed as legal is DANGEROUS to the health of the player. I understand as a human maybe you dont like the islanders or you prefer your team or canadian teams or whatever, but we're talking about concussions and injuries and players livelihoods. It is incumbent on the NHL to enforce the rules fairly AND for the islanders to look out for each other. How phaneuf hasnt been made to answer for his hits on isles yet is totally beyond me.

The reality is this will not change until we win. until we become valuable to the NHL. right now we're effing Dodo birds to the NHL...and that is not going to change until we win some effing games.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Bert Marshall days

Whenever a canadian team plays an american team the canadian team will get the calls from the refs and the war room in toranna for crucial decisions. Every single time. It’s been happenng since the 60s when I saw montreal and toranna get calls against the rangers that weren’t even close. Remember the Toranna series when Peca and Kenny Jonsson were knocked out and the weak calls?

Al Arbour: 1993 playoffs stated this after a loss to Montreal......
Situation: (i can’t remember the game or the players)(the game is in Montreal) An Islander gets knocked down in the Montreal zone and is face first on the ice, clearly he is hurt. The Refs choose to let the play continue for about 30+ seconds while the down Islanders reamins down on the ice in the Monteal zone. The result Montreal scores a goal. Arbour and the coaching staff is livid!!!

Later in that game the Isles are on a PP, in the Montreal zone, a Canadien gets checked and goes down to the ice, imedeatly the Refs blow the play dead, LOST chance on the PP. At that point the Isles where 5-3 man advantage due to the down Canadien. Chance taken away!
After the game press conference: Al Arbour is asked what did you think of those two incidents, Al Arbour replies (I remember this to this day clear as ever) “there are two sets of rules the officials employ, one for U.S. teams and one for Canadien teams.” Nothing has changed since!!!!

Aucoin’s goal had no distinct kicking motion vs Ottowa. Not even close. He was just stoppng. The interference against nabby and high stick non calls at the end were an awful way to decide a game.

The embellishment call against Aucoin vs Montreal was one of the worst calls I've seen watching pucks for 45 years.

NYI are bad enough on their own to blow leads. They don’t need any help from canadian biased officials.

NYI also ain't gonna get any crucial call against NYR or Pitt but that's another topic.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:29 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
please keep in mind, i was watching on a crappy internet feed, but to me it looked like an elbow to the face.
size differential alone says that if subban ( 6'--206 ) even sneezes at aucoin ( 5'7"--175 ) aucoin will go down faster than a ten cent hooker.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:48 AM
OlTimeHockey

If you're gonna get the calls, MAKE THE F*ING HITS COUNT.

Period.

We started down this road under Wang when we had a pretty good toughness element, Milbury tried to make us tougher, Wang didn't like toughness obviously (why would our 2002-2003 team play so soft with the makeup it had?} and we lose our game.

We got Niinimaa who was electric his first game, got penalties he NEVER got before and became a soft, Islander style soft shell of himself, losing all of his playing advantages and becoming a fractured turd. If we had a real coach and GM and owner, we would fight, hit and punish opponents more and have fond memories of Niinimaa much like Pilon.

So there's the problem....organizational philosophy. If you are going to get called, try and make it count so you wear down your opponent and gain an advantage in your disadvantage.

But we're a team that lauds Moulson and softness and generally speaking the play of a gaggle of friggen pu**ies. And this is not gonna change.

Trevor Gillies toughness? Nah, let's have moustache promos and play like we are afraid each game. Seriously, what I'd give to have a real owner. THEN I would consider Lindy Ruff. Hire the guynow and he'd be drinking himself to death within months knowing he can't coach a hockey team until they all sell their cookies. Friggen girl scouts.

Sorry, ranting. We're poofkah's. Here's a memory of when this was a real hockey team:

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:36 AM
LetsGoIslanders

Look at the numbers of Isles PPs vs. their opponents since Brent Thompson got suspended for mouthing off to the refs. What did the guy say? Jesus, Tortorella and Laviolette scream at the refs every game -- they never even get assessed a bench minor. The Islanders coaches dare to say something and they're suspended.

I'm not one to claim conspiracy, especially given that the Isles have played like crap, but something is rotten in Denmark.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Has been/was there every an explanation as to why Pens & Co. didn't receive any fines for players leaving the bench and/or suspensions for players leaving the bench?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
Has been/was there every an explanation as to why Pens & Co. didn't receive any fines for players leaving the bench and/or suspensions for players leaving the bench?
Mario would whine too much.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that explanation.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:16 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I just watched LA vs.Vancouver today. The score sheet looks even handed in penalties to both sides, but if you watched the game you would have to admit that Vancouver should have been called for about 4 more penalties than the Kings. The Kings lost, 1-0, but they didn't retreat into excuses or get all sooky-sooky baby about it. They kept coming, and the game remained close. They even drew a very important penalty with 4 seconds remaining that gave them one last solid scoring chance in the end.

That's what good teams do when they have a quality roster.

Our BS cap floor roster can't compete for crap.

That's why we don't garner respect, and don't deserve any from anyone.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote