HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Koto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Bernier. If we can't sign Smid then offer him to the LAK for their playoff run. He's very young and can push DD or take his job.
gimme a break...hes a less proven dubnyk.

and you arent getting him for a rental of smid's level.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Bernier. If we can't sign Smid then offer him to the LAK for their playoff run. He's very young and can push DD or take his job.
Bernier is a surefire top 10 goalie? or did you highlight the wrong sentence?
The fans here dont want a goalie who would push DD for starting role.. They want to break the bank on a goalie to carry this team into contention for cup.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Miller, Luongo both available and have shown to be consistently better then Dubnyk. Personally Id want Miller as he's more athletic which a team with an abysmal defence needs.
I mentioned him yesterday along with Hiller. But by no means are either top 10 goalies. Even with Miller there is a good chance he isn't the answer. Unless you can do Dubnyk for Miller though is it really an option? Don't feel the need to give 1st round picks for a goalie that hasn't been the same since the Olympics.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Bernier?
Thats funny

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The fans here dont want a goalie who would push DD for starting role.. They want to break the bank on a goalie to carry this team into contention for cup.
Yes Bernier is a surfire top 10 tender. He is #1 on a championship team and DD will never be. I've saying this for awhile now. Watched all of Bernier's games this yr and some last season. He's not a overly big tender. Gets his job done.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I mentioned him yesterday along with Hiller. But by no means are either top 10 goalies. Even with Miller there is a good chance he isn't the answer. Unless you can do Dubnyk for Miller though is it really an option? Don't feel the need to give 1st round picks for a goalie that hasn't been the same since the Olympics.
The only two I see with even a hint of reality attached to them are Bernier and Hiller. I would be happy to ADD either of these guys...but how well would they play knowing that the world is on their shoulders and Yan Danis is there backup?

But by all means Edmonton Oilers PLEASE prove me wrong...I will be the first in line to buy this new All-World goalie's jersey!!!

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
so a goalie who is 6 yrs older, making twice as much and has worse stats is the answer? Also, Are you willing to give up good assets for him? Our 2013 1st will likely be involved along with other assets..
I don't think it would cost that much. Historically speaking goalies have been moved for a reasonable price. I think something like Hemsky, Dubnyk, N.Schultz, 1st for Stafford, Miller, Sekera. Probably never happen since it'd be considered a true blockbuster though.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Conkanen*

I have a better idea. Lets double the salarys of the Ducks scouts who found these 2 undrafted free agents (Fasth and Hiller) and go out and find our own #1.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Yes Bernier is a surfire top 10 tender. He is #1 on a championship team and DD will never be. I've saying this for awhile now. Watched all of Bernier's games this yr and some last season. He's not a overly big tender. Gets his job done.
I assume you forgot the
On what championship team is Bernier a #1?

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
This ^^^^ is absolute horse$*#@...you are saying we would have went 9-2 if it were not for Dubnyk....RIIIIIGGGGHHHTTT...because there are no other holes in this team...(and these holes are not exactly going to be a cakewalk to fill either)

I hate the soft goals too...but overall there are WAY worse goalies out there. Would I like Hiller to come over in the off-season...OF COURSE...but watching the game day thread explode with what a POS this guy is just after Smyth coughs up the puck along the boards or N. Shultz gives up possession of the puck yet again...where is the love when he makes a beauty save?!?!

it is just not an accurate reflection of what this guy really is...a reasonably solid goalie who has not yet (and maybe never will) taken the step to elite status. This is not (at this point) the kind of guy who can put the team on his back and lead them to victory night in and night out...and I think we would all be over the moon (even the haters) if he ever did develop into one.
The Oilers are 4-4-3 in their last 11. I'm not saying they would have been 9-2 but for Dubnyk. I'm saying without the soft goals, poor puck handling and weak positioning 6-3-2.

Today that's the difference between 13th in the conference and 8th alone (as one of those lost points was against the Sharks).

A 'reasonably solid' goalie doesn't go into extended funks. His team counts on him with the lead instead of fearing the soft goal.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
The Oilers are 4-4-3 in their last 11. I'm not saying they would have been 9-2 but for Dubnyk. I'm saying without the soft goals, poor puck handling and weak positioning 6-3-2.

Today that's the difference between 13th in the conference and 8th alone (as one of those lost points was against the Sharks).

A 'reasonably solid' goalie doesn't go into extended funks. His team counts on him with the lead instead of fearing the soft goal.
This!

We need a goalie who can shut the door even after a bad goal and Dubnyk isn't that guy. The team doesn't play like they have no doubts he'll bail them out in the event of a bad turnover (Wingels' goal). Say whatever you want about his development, the fact remains that we was drafted in 2004 and still has major holes in his game along with some minor holes.

Terrible puck handling, rebound control, letting in softies, poor glove, doesn't properly cover the top of the net, can't shut the door when it counts, doesn't steal games often enough. That's way too many weaknesses in his game that still exist.

Overall he's not a terrible goalie but I don't see us winning a Stanley Cup with him either.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Why not bring in someone to push Dubnyk next year?

It's not the preferred option, but it's better than anointing Dubnyk next year.

As for 'breaking the bank', that might not cost as much as people would think. The cap is going down $5.9M next year. Teams will be scrambling to make it under the cap. Top notch goalie salaries will be impacted as with every other position.

Khabi's $3.75M is coming off the books. Maybe the Oilers could get an upgrade in a trade involving Dubnyk and his $3.5M?

Old
03-22-2013, 02:54 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:

As for 'breaking the bank', that might not cost as much as people would think. The cap is going down $5.9M next year. Teams will be scrambling to make it under the cap. Top notch goalie salaries will be impacted as with every other position.

Khabi's $3.75M is coming off the books. Maybe the Oilers could get an upgrade in a trade involving Dubnyk and his $3.5M?
I'm gonna get flamed for this. But if the Islanders buy out DiPietro, I'd sign him as a backup. He has something to prove now.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
There's no way we're not on Miller's "Do not trade to here" list.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I'm gonna get flamed for this. But if the Islanders buy out DiPietro, I'd sign him as a backup. He has something to prove now.
Horrible. I used to be one of Dipietro's biggest boosters, but the fact is that injuries have left him as a non-NHL player. His hips are shot, no way.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
There's no way we're not on Miller's "Do not trade to here" list.
Realistic options for Miller include Tampa, Toronto, Florida (if he's still available in the off season), Washington (off season), Phoenix (if they choose to dump Smith), Chicago (if they decide they can't win with Crawford). Other than that, it's Edmonton.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
This!

We need a goalie who can shut the door even after a bad goal and Dubnyk isn't that guy. The team doesn't play like they have no doubts he'll bail them out in the event of a bad turnover (Wingels' goal). Say whatever you want about his development, the fact remains that we was drafted in 2004 and still has major holes in his game along with some minor holes.

Terrible puck handling, rebound control, letting in softies, poor glove, doesn't properly cover the top of the net, can't shut the door when it counts, doesn't steal games often enough. That's way too many weaknesses in his game that still exist.

Overall he's not a terrible goalie but I don't see us winning a Stanley Cup with him either.
We are in the same boat here fine sir...but he could end up being a great backup, trade piece, late bloomer, something useful in the future...he is only one of the many boat anchors holding this team down (it also took the turnover to lead to the Wingels' goal, not just a Dubnyk flub)

I am open to him not being the future of the Oilers...I just dont think he is the most critical piece at this moment...I know it is the internet...but it drives me nuts to see everyone blow up on this guy every time the other team scores a goal (not just the softies).

He is in a tough spot...first year starter, no reliable backup, playoff race, poor defensive team. I would LIKE better play, but I am not EXPECTING it!!!

Here's hoping he proves us all wrong down the stretch and all us internet heroes gotta eat humble pie...i'm putting my faith in this guy (for the rest of the year)

Old
03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Horrible. I used to be one of Dipietro's biggest boosters, but the fact is that injuries have left him as a non-NHL player. His hips are shot, no way.
You have a point about injuries but let's just say I'm not totally convinced he's not an NHL player anymore. He can't be worse than Yan Danis can he?

Old
03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
actionjackson

[QUOTE=shoop;62179893]Why not bring in someone to push Dubnyk next year?

Khabi's $3.75M is coming off the books. Maybe the Oilers could get an upgrade in a trade involving Dubnyk and his $3.5M?[/QUOTE]

This I could get on board with BIG TIME...just probably not a realistic option until the off-season.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:

This I could get on board with BIG TIME...just probably not a realistic option until the off-season.
It's definitely not a realistic option this season. Probably not in the team's best interest as well.

Have Dubnyk carry the load the rest of the way. Maybe four or five starts for Khabi.

If Dubnyk can turn it on and carry the Oilers to the playoffs then he'll prove his many doubters wrong. If not, hopefully he plays well enough to be enticing as part of a big trade.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
:
Quote:
You should have stopped your suggestions with Miller! DiPietro???!!!!!

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
We are in the same boat here fine sir...but he could end up being a great backup, trade piece, late bloomer, something useful in the future...he is only one of the many boat anchors holding this team down (it also took the turnover to lead to the Wingels' goal, not just a Dubnyk flub)

I am open to him not being the future of the Oilers...I just dont think he is the most critical piece at this moment...I know it is the internet...but it drives me nuts to see everyone blow up on this guy every time the other team scores a goal (not just the softies).

He is in a tough spot...first year starter, no reliable backup, playoff race, poor defensive team. I would LIKE better play, but I am not EXPECTING it!!!

Here's hoping he proves us all wrong down the stretch and all us internet heroes gotta eat humble pie...i'm putting my faith in this guy (for the rest of the year)
There's no doubt that we have bigger problems than goaltending but great goaltending can often mask other problems and we're not getting great goaltending. It's competent at best. It's a lot easier to overpay and get a goalie than to get a big power forward in the top 6 and a top pairing defenseman. Not to mention another Brown prototype in the bottom 6.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
:

You should have stopped your suggestions with Miller! DiPietro???!!!!!

as a back up not a starter you tool

Old
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
The Big Unit

Niklas Backstrom MIN 35 $6,000,000
Tim Thomas NYI 38 $5,000,000
Nikolai Khabibulin EDM 40 $3,750,000
Evgeni Nabokov NYI 37 $2,750,000
Jimmy Howard DET 28 $2,250,000
Mike Smith PHX 30 $2,000,000
Chris Mason NAS 36 $1,500,000
Jose Theodore FLA 36 $1,500,000
Mathieu Garon TBL 35 $1,300,000
Jason Labarbera PHX 33 $1,250,000
Peter Budaj MTL 30 $1,150,000
Ray Emery CHI 30 $1,150,000
Cristopher Nilstorp DAL 29 $1,000,000
Brian Boucher PHI 36 $950,000
Michael Leighton PHI 31 $900,000
Anton Khudobin BOS 26 $875,000
Henrik Karlsson CHI 29 $862,500
Yann Danis EDM 31 $800,000
Dan Ellis CAR 32 $800,000
Curtis McElhinney CLB 29 $750,000
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers ANA 28 $612,500
Al Montoya WIN 28 $601,000
Mark Dekanich WIN 26 $600,000
Chad Johnson PHX 26 $600,000
Cedrick Desjardins TBL 27 $600,000
Nathan Lawson OTT 29 $600,000
Thomas Greiss SJS 27 $587,500
David Leggio BUF 28 $550,000
Dov Grumet-Morris FLA 31 $550,000
Joey MacDonald CGY 33 $550,000
Carter Hutton CHI 27 $525,000
Jordan Pearce DET 26 $525,000
Alec Richards CHI 25 $525,000
Brad Thiessen PIT 26 $525,000
Mike McKenna STL 29 $525,000
Dany Sabourin WAS 32 $525,000

Take your pick, not everyone will be available

Old
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Sign or trade for a goalie to 'challenge' Dubnyk and we're back to the two-headed monster of Markannen and Conklin. Do you all remember that? It was a lot like this year is before we traded for Roloson, a proven starter.

So, however long we want to run this Dubnyk experiment it's going to end up with the same conclusion - We Need A Starter.

I thought Dubnyk would play well enough this year to put us near the playoffs. It's appearing that he has but at the same time it's becoming increasingly more obvious that he might not get us any farther.

A couple softies are expected, but we've seen one, two a game almost every game. I'm starting to think we need another solution. But I'm hoping for a proven starter and not another experiment.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote