HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
  #301
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Niklas Backstrom MIN 35 $6,000,000
Tim Thomas NYI 38 $5,000,000
Nikolai Khabibulin EDM 40 $3,750,000
Evgeni Nabokov NYI 37 $2,750,000
Jimmy Howard DET 28 $2,250,000
Mike Smith PHX 30 $2,000,000
Chris Mason NAS 36 $1,500,000
Jose Theodore FLA 36 $1,500,000
Mathieu Garon TBL 35 $1,300,000
Jason Labarbera PHX 33 $1,250,000
Peter Budaj MTL 30 $1,150,000
Ray Emery CHI 30 $1,150,000
Cristopher Nilstorp DAL 29 $1,000,000
Brian Boucher PHI 36 $950,000
Michael Leighton PHI 31 $900,000
Anton Khudobin BOS 26 $875,000
Henrik Karlsson CHI 29 $862,500
Yann Danis EDM 31 $800,000
Dan Ellis CAR 32 $800,000
Curtis McElhinney CLB 29 $750,000
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers ANA 28 $612,500
Al Montoya WIN 28 $601,000
Mark Dekanich WIN 26 $600,000
Chad Johnson PHX 26 $600,000
Cedrick Desjardins TBL 27 $600,000
Nathan Lawson OTT 29 $600,000
Thomas Greiss SJS 27 $587,500
David Leggio BUF 28 $550,000
Dov Grumet-Morris FLA 31 $550,000
Joey MacDonald CGY 33 $550,000
Carter Hutton CHI 27 $525,000
Jordan Pearce DET 26 $525,000
Alec Richards CHI 25 $525,000
Brad Thiessen PIT 26 $525,000
Mike McKenna STL 29 $525,000
Dany Sabourin WAS 32 $525,000

Take your pick, not everyone will be available
Backstrom for 2 years. If anything, Dubnyk needs a mentor. Khabby doesn't really fit that role.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:47 PM
  #302
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Backstrom for 2 years. If anything, Dubnyk needs a mentor. Khabby doesn't really fit that role.
He's probably going to re-sign in Minnesota. Things are looking really good there right now, I don't see any reason for him to walk out on them when it seems they're finally ready to compete.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
  #303
shoop
Registered User
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sign or trade for a goalie to 'challenge' Dubnyk and we're back to the two-headed monster of Markannen and Conklin. Do you all remember that? It was a lot like this year is before we traded for Roloson, a proven starter.

So, however long we want to run this Dubnyk experiment it's going to end up with the same conclusion - We Need A Starter.

I thought Dubnyk would play well enough this year to put us near the playoffs. It's appearing that he has but at the same time it's becoming increasingly more obvious that he might not get us any farther.

A couple softies are expected, but we've seen one, two a game almost every game. I'm starting to think we need another solution. But I'm hoping for a proven starter and not another experiment.
Roli was far from a proven starter at the time the Oilers traded for him. He had been platooning with Fernandez for the previous two seasons and into the 2005-06 season. Fernandez was outplaying him at the time, which is why Roli was available.

At the time a lot of people thought a first and a third was a big overpayment. He played ok during the rest of that first regular season with the Oilers. Then he turned in a phenomenal run in the playoffs (damn you MAB).

The trade for Roloson was a gamble that worked out well. Hopefully, another such gamble gives the Oil the same result.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  #304
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sign or trade for a goalie to 'challenge' Dubnyk and we're back to the two-headed monster of Markannen and Conklin. Do you all remember that? It was a lot like this year is before we traded for Roloson, a proven starter.

So, however long we want to run this Dubnyk experiment it's going to end up with the same conclusion - We Need A Starter.

I thought Dubnyk would play well enough this year to put us near the playoffs. It's appearing that he has but at the same time it's becoming increasingly more obvious that he might not get us any farther.

A couple softies are expected, but we've seen one, two a game almost every game. I'm starting to think we need another solution. But I'm hoping for a proven starter and not another experiment.
Name me a goalie who hasnt let in sofites?? The only goalies who are actually carrying their teams at the moment are Bobrovsky, Lehtonen and to some point Rask..
Put an avg starter like Dubnyk\Miller\Backstrom in net for any other team and the results wont be a whole lot different..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
  #305
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Roli was far from a proven starter at the time the Oilers traded for him. He had been platooning with Fernandez for the previous two seasons and into the 2005-06 season. Fernandez was outplaying him at the time, which is why Roli was available.

At the time a lot of people thought a first and a third was a big overpayment. He played ok during the rest of that first regular season with the Oilers. Then he turned in a phenomenal run in the playoffs (damn you MAB).

The trade for Roloson was a gamble that worked out well. Hopefully, another such gamble gives the Oil the same result.
IIRC Roloson did start for Minnesota in their playoff run to the WCF in 2003 and played brilliantly during that run too. If Roloson proved anything during his career it's that he was underrated for far too long and he showed up in big games. I think Minnesota scored 1 goal against JS Giguere in that series. The Wild had no hope shooting against a guy who was other worldly at the time.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:59 PM
  #306
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Name me a goalie who hasnt let in sofites?? The only goalies who are actually carrying their teams at the moment are Bobrovsky, Lehtonen and to some point Rask..
Put an avg starter like Dubnyk\Miller\Backstrom in net for any other team and the results wont be a whole lot different..
Dude they don't allow one softie a game though. That's the biggest complaint on Dubnyk and it hasn't changed since he got here. Nobody's saying Dubnyk has to carry the Oilers, just don't lose us games, or lose us points.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
  #307
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Roli was far from a proven starter at the time the Oilers traded for him. He had been platooning with Fernandez for the previous two seasons and into the 2005-06 season. Fernandez was outplaying him at the time, which is why Roli was available.

At the time a lot of people thought a first and a third was a big overpayment. He played ok during the rest of that first regular season with the Oilers. Then he turned in a phenomenal run in the playoffs (damn you MAB).

The trade for Roloson was a gamble that worked out well. Hopefully, another such gamble gives the Oil the same result.
Actually Roloson was a very good goaltender in Min, and posted .927 and .933 seasons playing as the starter before the lockout. Fernandez came in and challenged his spot, in which the Wild had to make a decision of who to keep. They went with Fernandez, which looked like the wrong choice in hindsight, and traded Roloson to us at the deadline. Roloson was definitely a starter, I am not sure where you think he was a nobody before the cup run. He alone got us into the playoffs.

He was severely underrated playing in Minnesota. We got him for a song.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:11 PM
  #308
actionjackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Why not bring in someone to push Dubnyk next year?

It's not the preferred option, but it's better than anointing Dubnyk next year.

As for 'breaking the bank', that might not cost as much as people would think. The cap is going down $5.9M next year. Teams will be scrambling to make it under the cap. Top notch goalie salaries will be impacted as with every other position.

Khabi's $3.75M is coming off the books. Maybe the Oilers could get an upgrade in a trade involving Dubnyk and his $3.5M?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
Dude they don't allow one softie a game though. That's the biggest complaint on Dubnyk and it hasn't changed since he got here. Nobody's saying Dubnyk has to carry the Oilers, just don't lose us games, or lose us points.

Must be some statistical anomoly where Dubnyk lets in two softies and loses us the game...yet somehow manages to hold on to a higher save percentage than all these "rock solid" goalies...and he still lose us the game...lets be realistic here we have the worst offensive player in the league (Belanger)...all these other goalies stats are the ones being "padded"

Conditional 6th round for Bernier (provided we win the cup this year and he provides a shutout in each start)...sounds about as realistic as all this Dubnyk keeps losing the Oilers all these games bologna!!!

This team might squeak into the playoffs...but it is not going to be on the back of Dubnyk...or the forwards...or the defence...or the management!!!

Lets just enjoy the ride folks...it does feel good to still be close...doesn't it?!?!

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  #309
shoop
Registered User
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Roloson was definitely a starter, I am not sure where you think he was a nobody before the cup run. He alone got us into the playoffs.

He was severely underrated playing in Minnesota. We got him for a song.
The Oilers were a good team that needed that little extra to make a cup run. Roli provided that in the playoffs. He didn't play that well in the regular season that year.

He definitely did not get the Oilers into the playoffs. He was only 8-7-4 with the Oilers in the 2005-06 regular season. This was a team that was 32-21-9 when they picked him up. Which is really amazing given that was with the Conklin/Markannen/Morrison fiasco.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  #310
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Anyone think we could trade for Neuvirth? He would be a decent backup to Dubynk. Or maybe we should go all out and trade for Quick.

bsmith14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:26 PM
  #311
actionjackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
The Oilers were a good team that needed that little extra to make a cup run. Roli provided that in the playoffs. He didn't play that well in the regular season that year.

He definitely did not get the Oilers into the playoffs. He was only 8-7-4 with the Oilers in the 2005-06 regular season. This was a team that was 32-21-9 when they picked him up. Which is really amazing given that was with the Conklin/Markannen/Morrison fiasco.
Roli was magic once the playoff bell rang...I think I would sacrifice a finger for the Oilers to have a goalie that could play lights out like that night in and night out...on a positive note...I am loving watching the flames get pumped with Kipper in net on a nightly basis...looks like their days of leaning on him for wins are over...welcome to the cellar!!!

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
  #312
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Must be some statistical anomoly where Dubnyk lets in two softies and loses us the game...yet somehow manages to hold on to a higher save percentage than all these "rock solid" goalies...and he still lose us the game...lets be realistic here we have the worst offensive player in the league (Belanger)...all these other goalies stats are the ones being "padded"

Conditional 6th round for Bernier (provided we win the cup this year and he provides a shutout in each start)...sounds about as realistic as all this Dubnyk keeps losing the Oilers all these games bologna!!!

This team might squeak into the playoffs...but it is not going to be on the back of Dubnyk...or the forwards...or the defence...or the management!!!

Lets just enjoy the ride folks...it does feel good to still be close...doesn't it?!?!

There's a reason he's a punch line on TSN.....Dubey Dubey Dooooo. Every goalie lets in bad goals but you don't get the reputation for allowing a bad goal nearly every game if you're rock solid and only let in one or two bad goals every so often.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:33 PM
  #313
The Big Unit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Roli was magic once the playoff bell rang...I think I would sacrifice a finger for the Oilers to have a goalie that could play lights out like that night in and night out...on a positive note...I am loving watching the flames get pumped with Kipper in net on a nightly basis...looks like their days of leaning on him for wins are over...welcome to the cellar!!!
I'm afraid their rebuild will be a lot quicker than ours. They've got some solid assets to ship out (Iginla, Kiprusoff, Bouwmeester, Cammalleri). If they get the right return and get a top 3 pick and cross their fingers that Baertschi develops right, they could be right back in the mix just like Columbus. Hell they could even throw Giordano and Glencross' names out there and they'll get something good for them too.

I'm hoping Feaster really is as dumb as he seems.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
  #314
shoop
Registered User
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Roli was magic once the playoff bell rang...I think I would sacrifice a finger for the Oilers to have a goalie that could play lights out like that night in and night out...on a positive note...I am loving watching the flames get pumped with Kipper in net on a nightly basis...looks like their days of leaning on him for wins are over...welcome to the cellar!!!
Poor Kipper. When the Flames signed him to that six year extension it seemed like just a year too long. In hindsight, that's pretty much exactly what happened.

He earned his money in the first four years of the deal. This year age and injury have caught up with him. If the Flames are serious about a rebuild they'll buy out the final year of his contract.

If not for Kiprusoff the Battle of Alberta would have been the battle for first overall the last three years!

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:37 PM
  #315
actionjackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
There's a reason he's a punch line on TSN.....Dubey Dubey Dooooo. Every goalie lets in bad goals but you don't get the reputation for allowing a bad goal nearly every game if you're rock solid and only let in one or two bad goals every so often.
I agree that he is not "rock solid" and can sometimes be shakey at best...and for some reason I am fixated on defending him...not because I think he is the answer...but because I think he is the patsy for all things wrong with the Oilers

Top to bottom we are flawed...but he seems to be the focus...he may or may not be the biggest problem we have...but he is getting a disproportionate amount of the internet hate.

I will defend him until the season ends because I think he is doing OK...and we really have no other options...I don't understand the bashing of our own team and its only NHL level goaltender at this moment...this off-season I will be hoping for the same thing as everyone else...some goaltending help.

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  #316
actionjackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Poor Kipper. When the Flames signed him to that six year extension it seemed like just a year too long. In hindsight, that's pretty much exactly what happened.

He earned his money in the first four years of the deal. This year age and injury have caught up with him. If the Flames are serious about a rebuild they'll buy out the final year of his contract.

If not for Kiprusoff the Battle of Alberta would have been the battle for first overall the last three years!
I am also loving it because I have a pretty nice little bet going on save percentage with a flames fan between Kipper and Dubnyk!

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:39 PM
  #317
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
When you have the amount of defensive zone time and shots against that the Oilers allow, this is what happens no matter what goalie is in net. If Dubnyk was facing 27 shots per game instead of 35, all of a sudden he looks great.

What the Oilers need is to upgrade on defense. Everyone is playing at 1-2 spots higher than their skill level dictates. It is among the worst d-corps in the whole league and so selling the farm for a new goalie makes little sense. You'll end up looking like Philly.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:47 PM
  #318
actionjackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
When you have the amount of defensive zone time and shots against that the Oilers allow, this is what happens no matter what goalie is in net. If Dubnyk was facing 27 shots per game instead of 35, all of a sudden he looks great.

What the Oilers need is to upgrade on defense. Everyone is playing at 1-2 spots higher than their skill level dictates. It is among the worst d-corps in the whole league and so selling the farm for a new goalie makes little sense. You'll end up looking like Philly.
I want to agree with this as I am a Dubnyk supporter and I believe it is much easier to focus when the puck isn't constantly in scoring position. I think almost any goalie in the league would look great in Boston.

Thomas looked amazing there...do you really think his last three years of playing would have looked as good in Edmonton?

Or would his confidence have been rattled, his frustrations mounted, his attitude shifted...pretty tough situation to guage when you look at the comparative limo ride that playing behind Chara must be!

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
  #319
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sign or trade for a goalie to 'challenge' Dubnyk and we're back to the two-headed monster of Markannen and Conklin. Do you all remember that? It was a lot like this year is before we traded for Roloson, a proven starter.

So, however long we want to run this Dubnyk experiment it's going to end up with the same conclusion - We Need A Starter.

I thought Dubnyk would play well enough this year to put us near the playoffs. It's appearing that he has but at the same time it's becoming increasingly more obvious that he might not get us any farther.

A couple softies are expected, but we've seen one, two a game almost every game. I'm starting to think we need another solution. But I'm hoping for a proven starter and not another experiment.
Clearly you don't remember 2005-2006. That team was much better overall than this team, and the goaltending was much worse than Dubnyk.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:49 PM
  #320
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I want to agree with this as I am a Dubnyk supporter and I believe it is much easier to focus when the puck isn't constantly in scoring position. I think almost any goalie in the league would look great in Boston.

Thomas looked amazing there...do you really think his last three years of playing would have looked as good in Edmonton?

Or would his confidence have been rattled, his frustrations mounted, his attitude shifted...pretty tough situation to guage when you look at the comparative limo ride that playing behind Chara must be!
There is zero question Thomas would look comparably average if he was playing in Edmonton compared to the team he played behind in Boston.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:50 PM
  #321
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,646
vCash: 500
For old time Oiler fans, Fuhr let in bad goals all the time. He just rarely let in a ba goal when we were up by one or the score was tied. He'd be focused during those times. Dubnyk's problem is he chokes in those situations but plays great when it doesn't matter. I'd much rather have a goalie with a .900 SP that wins us games then a goalie with a .925 SP that you can't rely on in tough situations.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:53 PM
  #322
actionjackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I'm afraid their rebuild will be a lot quicker than ours. They've got some solid assets to ship out (Iginla, Kiprusoff, Bouwmeester, Cammalleri). If they get the right return and get a top 3 pick and cross their fingers that Baertschi develops right, they could be right back in the mix just like Columbus. Hell they could even throw Giordano and Glencross' names out there and they'll get something good for them too.

I'm hoping Feaster really is as dumb as he seems.
This is something I fear as well...they could pull a fast one and be competitve next year with some intelligent trades going into the deadline here...fingers crossed.

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:56 PM
  #323
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
For old time Oiler fans, Fuhr let in bad goals all the time. He just rarely let in a ba goal when we were up by one or the score was tied. He'd be focused during those times. Dubnyk's problem is he chokes in those situations but plays great when it doesn't matter. I'd much rather have a goalie with a .900 SP that wins us games then a goalie with a .925 SP that you can't rely on in tough situations.
The whole Fuhr thing is great with lots of fuzzy feelings but the fact is the Oilers were a team that could score over 400 goals in a season. There is literally no comparison to be made here. Fuhr let in lots of goals but the Oilers were always good enough to score even more. No a .900 goalie is not going to be better than a .925 goalie. At .900 you are talking about Steve Mason and Bryzgalov level bad.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
  #324
actionjackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
For old time Oiler fans, Fuhr let in bad goals all the time. He just rarely let in a ba goal when we were up by one or the score was tied. He'd be focused during those times. Dubnyk's problem is he chokes in those situations but plays great when it doesn't matter. I'd much rather have a goalie with a .900 SP that wins us games then a goalie with a .925 SP that you can't rely on in tough situations.

Three words...

Miracle on Manchester

And that was with argueably the best team to ever hit the ice!!!

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:59 PM
  #325
Slatsmsg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 554
vCash: 370
Off the UFA list I would have interest in Howard and Khudobin.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.