HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Craig Smith to MKE for conditioning assignment

Old
03-22-2013, 11:03 AM
april

vCash: 500
Craig Smith to MKE for conditioning assignment

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=661517

Will a stint in Milwaukee help Craig Smith find his game? He has yet to play in the AHL, so personally I think he needs it.

april is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
INDhockeyfan

Not too surprised by this. It did wonders for Halishuk as he came back a much better player. Can't be sent down without going through waivers so had to do the conditioning stint. I think Gill maybe coming off IR so they needed a roster spot.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

And I think they are trying to shop Gill to Pittsburgh. Pitt needs PK help Gill has no place here.

Would be nice to get a package of SK and Gill for a 1st. Pitt has been looking for a forward on the 1st line and with the need for PK help it could work.

Also SK on a line with Crosby, Jesus H. Christ.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
PFL615

I don't agree with it but i see the logic. If the Preds pick up Boychuck off of waivers and send him to Mil.it could be a.good chance for the two to play together and build something.

PFL615 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
glenngineer

Boychuk got picked up off waivers by Carolina.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:39 AM
PFL615

Yes he was and put back on waivers ny Carolina a few minutes ago.

PFL615 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Man I would like to have his frequent flyer mies.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
That's really bizarre to say the least. He's Carolina's property then and if he clears he's going to their farm team, not ours.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
That's really bizarre to say the least. He's Carolina's property then and if he clears he's going to their farm team, not ours.
Yes, but Nashville can claim him and send him straight to Milwaukee now without him having to clear waivers again.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I originally thought Carolina had that right on him when we put him on waivers, to claim him off and send him immediately to the minors (it was actually Pittsburgh as his last team, which makes complete sense), but we now have that right. If we claim him and nobody else puts in a claim, we can send him to Milwaukee without putting him back on waivers.

Sending Smith down has the exact same motive as sending Halischuk down for a conditioning assignment. If Smith gets the message and comes back as motivated and consistently intense as Halischuk has been, he's going to be a treat to watch, because he has way more skill than Halischuk.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Per twitter Poile is not going to make a claim for him.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Preds33

reports are that Poile is passing on Boychuk. I don't understand why, he's a pretty good AHL'er.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:41 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
reports are that Poile is passing on Boychuk. I don't understand why, he's a pretty good AHL'er.
Probably an agreement with the Hurricanes.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:43 PM
glenngineer

No reason to claim boychuk. Not an answer or a type of player we don't already have a plethora of. If you play on a line with Malkin and Neal and can't score he's not going to do much for us here.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Sadly I've missed some games recently so I can't comment on Smith's play. Before this recent road trip I thought he was playing well, but could use some work on the defensive side of things. However, he oozes offensive potential and he's only a sophomore. He'll bounce back.

I think Barry is hard on him because he has high expectations out of him. The fact that he wasted no time sending him down, rather than just scratching him shows that. I think his ceiling is as high as Wilson's. Wilson survived the Barry Trotz treatment. Smith will too.

One thing that bothered me during the lockout was his decision to play overseas rather than with Milwaukee. Well someone's decision, not sure who. I don't see the logic there unless he wasn't allowed to for some reason. He would have greatly benefited playing an NHL style with his own teammates.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Preds33

Quote:
No reason to claim boychuk. Not an answer or a type of player we don't already have a plethora of. If you play on a line with Malkin and Neal and can't score he's not going to do much for us here.

He could fit in in Milwaukee. When he played for the Charlotte Checkers this year he had 32 points (16g 16a) in 37 games. Especially with Nashville taking Milwaukee's top scorers.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:42 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
He could fit in in Milwaukee. When he played for the Charlotte Checkers this year he had 32 points (16g 16a) in 37 games. Especially with Nashville taking Milwaukee's top scorers.
I'm glad he's a good fit for the AHL but we need guys who can develop and play at the NHL level. I'd rather give the ice time to guys who have a chance at making it with the big club than giving it to a guy who will never make it with us.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I'm glad he's a good fit for the AHL but we need guys who can develop and play at the NHL level. I'd rather give the ice time to guys who have a chance at making it with the big club than giving it to a guy who will never make it with us.
I get your point, but even if you don't consider Boychuk an NHL prospect(which I would disagree with,) it's not like there aren't a few players in Milwaukee that, while owned by the organization, have next to no chance at ever playing in the NHL...for us or anyone.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Also SK on a line with Crosby, Jesus H. Christ.
While I don't think much of SK, if Crosby can make Dupuis look like a 1st line player, SK could win the Rocket Richard.

Hope Smitty can find his scoring touch again. 1st line minutes is what he needs to re-gain some consistency.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

everyone has sucked including smith. so no surprise he is sent down with trotz. rookies have a rough time with no neck. sometimes rightfully so.

its almost like were in tank mode. wilson, smith, hornqvist all out in one form or another.

wish the best for smith. he has the tools.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:24 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I get your point, but even if you don't consider Boychuk an NHL prospect(which I would disagree with,) it's not like there aren't a few players in Milwaukee that, while owned by the organization, have next to no chance at ever playing in the NHL...for us or anyone.
Of course you have to have guys to fill out the roster but if means Watson, Latta, Cehlin and other guys that I see as having shots at making the Preds at some point getting less minutes because Boychuk is around, I'd rather him not be there. ANd I will disagree with you on Boychuk being an NHL player. He's had shots and just isn't getting it done. He needs to play top 6 minutes but I don't see him having the talent to be a top 6 guy.

I'll ask a question, if you had to look at him or Bourque, who do you think has better potential? At this point, I'd go with Bourque any day of the week. It's good to see the game differently and I'm cool with your view, I just don't agree and that's cool.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Milwaukee has been playing 7 D-men since they are short on forwards.

Can you read that Mr. Poile and Paul Fenton? The Ads can use 1 or 2 guys up front. Your prospects can get more playing time this season if the team makes the playoffs. Didn't that occur to anybody in Nashville?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:09 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I bet byrddog is ecstatic right now.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I bet byrddog is ecstatic right now.
Not really. Sometimes you hate to be right. The only thing we can hope is that Smith can pull it together FAST. It is too much to expect guys to come from the college game to the NHL and be a success. This is whats still holding Wilson back, it was a big thing for Geffrion, and Smith. Watson would be the same way they need that time in the AHL. The level of play in college is nowhere close to the NHL, the leap from AHL to NHL is too much for many players. The best thing for Smith would be staying in Milwaukee the rest of the year and come to camp better for it. He is on a bigboy contract next season if he can't cut it by Jan next year his career here will be over.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:05 AM
adsfan

Smith played okay tonight. He looked a little tentative in the first period. I am sure it took a while to get used to Brad Winchester and Patrick Cehlin. By the third period, Peoria had 2 guys on him any time he was in the low slot. They kept "packing the goal" as we say in soccer. Smith had an assist on Winchester's EN goal.

Van Guilder had an even strength goal in the first and Watson had a PP goal
in the middle of the third to win the game, Milwaukee's 5th win in a row.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote