HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Flyerfan4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Edmonton is far and away the worst. Studies have shown a very strong correlation between shots allowed and scoring chances. The Flyers as a team are 7th overall in fewest shots allowed per game, meaning they're also allowing a smaller amount of scoring chances overall than roughly 2/3 of the league; there would have to be a massive deviation to put them towards the bottom in scoring chances against, considering the shots they allow. Yet, they're 24th in goals against per game. Considering the goaltender has a sub-900 save percentage, that makes sense. It's more an indictment of Bryz than it is the defense.

If Bryz were facing the 33.6 shots per game Edmonton's goalies average, his GAA would be 3.53 GAA, compared to his current 2.79. It's generally agreed upon by all the hockey brains that SV% is the stat most owned by the goalie, and that's the number you get if you apply his save percentage.

get outa here with ur crazy FACTS...

dont u know, its not the Bryz' fault.. every puck from every angle/distance is unstoppable..

weird how other goalies stop em thou.. hmmmm...

Old
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Bryz stole the win against the Devils.
One good game among a string of 6 underwhelming performances isn't all that thrilling.

03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Edmonton is far and away the worst. Studies have shown a very strong correlation between shots allowed and scoring chances. The Flyers as a team are 7th overall in fewest shots allowed per game, meaning they're also allowing a smaller amount of scoring chances overall than roughly 2/3 of the league; there would have to be a massive deviation to put them towards the bottom in scoring chances against, considering the shots they allow. Yet, they're 24th in goals against per game. Considering the goaltender has a sub-900 save percentage, that makes sense. It's more an indictment of Bryz than it is the defense
What studies?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
What studies?

That's the best word I could come up with. I actually sat there and thought for a minute and couldn't do better.

Some reporters did number crunching with scoring chance numbers vs number of shots. Research?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:

That's the best word I could come up with. I actually sat there and thought for a minute and couldn't do better.

Some reporters did number crunching with scoring chance numbers vs number of shots. Research?
It's ok, I don't care about your wording. I just want to know if they were peer reviewed

Old
03-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
It's ok, I don't care about your wording. I just want to know if they were peer reviewed
I'm sure no taxpayer funding was used.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:11 AM
JPurp26

Any interest in Miller? Buffalo could eat Bryz's salary or eventually buy him out.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:39 AM
daynus

interest in miller

that is a confirmative

Old
03-20-2013, 12:43 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Any interest in Miller? Buffalo could eat Bryz's salary or eventually buy him out.
Why would Buffalo get rid one head case in net for another?

Old
03-20-2013, 12:49 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Why would Buffalo get rid one head case in net for another?
we could eat Bryz's salary, let him play for a year or two to see how he does while we groom a new starter and than if he doesn't play well use pegula bucks for a buyout.

What would you guys offer for us to take that salary and acquire miller.

We need guys who are close or have potential to be top 6 forwards or top 4 dmen under the age of like 26. Draft picks are also very likeable.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:53 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
we could eat Bryz's salary, let him play for a year or two to see how he does while we groom a new starter and than if he doesn't play well use pegula bucks for a buyout.

What would you guys offer for us to take that salary and acquire miller.

We need guys who are close or have potential to be top 6 forwards or top 4 dmen under the age of like 26. Draft picks are also very likeable.
I don't see us acquiring Miller. I think we'll try to acquire a younger goalie like Bishop or Bernier. As for Bryz our owner has a little bit of money himself, he can buyout Bryz next year if he wants to.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:12 AM
Ryker

I'd rather have Bryz than Miller. No matter how good that guy is (not very good at all), I can't stand him and this wouldn't change if he came to Philadelphia.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Definitely have to add some young goaltending to the pipeline. You can never have enough young goalies around. See LA. See Washington.
Bernier put on a show tonight against Phoenix btw. 40/42

Old
03-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Ryker

Quote:

Yeah, I wasn't ragging you for the word, I was just wondering how this has been investigated. I googled it and found some graphs, but there wasn't much explanation offered, so I'm not really sure what data was used and how reliable all of that is. I mean, in my mind it makes sense, but I wouldn't take that correlation for solid gold just yet.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
gto64dr

I'm going to beat this dead horse again. Tonight I'm watching the Devils/Hurricane game. The Devils just came off a horrible 3-8-1 run with Hedberg in net. Tonight Broduer is playing.

The first period the Hurricanes were pounding shots on net. The Devils defense looked horrible, worse than the Flyers usually do, and Brodeur was pulling save after save out of his butt. He literally kept his team in the game with a chance to win.

I know there is only one Brodeur, but this is why the Devils are competitive every time Brodeur is in net. That is what an elite goalie does.

The Flyers defense is no better or worse than the Devils. The difference maker is the goalie. Those of you that blame the Flyers defense and Forwards should spend some time watching the Devils. They are not a great team, they don't have some magic formula for defense. They simply have an elite goalie. This is what elite goalies do.

We thought we were getting an elite goalie with Bryz, in the two seasons we've had him we have put up with inferior goaltending and he is why the Flyers won't make the playoffs this year. If we did we wouldn't get past the first round just like last year. He was terrible in that series, luckily for us MAF was worse.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:00 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
I'm going to beat this dead horse again. Tonight I'm watching the Devils/Hurricane game. The Devils just came off a horrible 3-8-1 run with Hedberg in net. Tonight Broduer is playing.

The first period the Hurricanes were pounding shots on net. The Devils defense looked horrible, worse than the Flyers usually do, and Brodeur was pulling save after save out of his butt. He literally kept his team in the game with a chance to win.

I know there is only one Brodeur, but this is why the Devils are competitive every time Brodeur is in net. That is what an elite goalie does.

The Flyers defense is no better or worse than the Devils. The difference maker is the goalie. Those of you that blame the Flyers defense and Forwards should spend some time watching the Devils. They are not a great team, they don't have some magic formula for defense. They simply have an elite goalie. This is what elite goalies do.

We thought we were getting an elite goalie with Bryz, in the two seasons we've had him we have put up with inferior goaltending and he is why the Flyers won't make the playoffs this year. If we did we wouldn't get past the first round just like last year. He was terrible in that series, luckily for us MAF was worse.
your right you are beating a dead horse, but he is NOT the reason the flyers won't make the playoffs. he is one of the few players that even remotely gives us any shot at the delusion of the playoffs we're still sweatin' it out for like crackheads. you need to spend less time watching the devils and more time watching your own team. and forget his contract for 5 seconds and just watch hockey for what it is. you'll see a lot clearer.

Last edited by funghoul: 03-21-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
gto64dr

I've been following the Flyers since 1967. In the past ten years I probably miss 5 games a year. I've watched every goaltender including the elite and legeary Bernie Parent, to rookie sensations Hextall, Lindberg, and Boucher. I've also watched all the other not so good goalies. I think I have a pretty good perspective on what a goalie should play like.

Bryz is not an elite goalie. I don't think he ever was. I still don't understand why the Flyers got him except they felt the pressure to get an elite goaltender because of the past failures.

I think we can chalk this up to a mistake with good intentions by Snider and Holmgren. They should have been more patient with Bob.

There are teams out there with elite goaltenders but they wouild die before parting with them. No one was sorry to see Bryz leave qnd we won't be either.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
I've been following the Flyers since 1967. In the past ten years I probably miss 5 games a year. I've watched every goaltender including the elite and legeary Bernie Parent, to rookie sensations Hextall, Lindberg, and Boucher. I've also watched all the other not so good goalies. I think I have a pretty good perspective on what a goalie should play like.

Bryz is not an elite goalie. I don't think he ever was. I still don't understand why the Flyers got him except they felt the pressure to get an elite goaltender because of the past failures.

I think we can chalk this up to a mistake with good intentions by Snider and Holmgren. They should have been more patient with Bob.

There are teams out there with elite goaltenders but they wouild die before parting with them. No one was sorry to see Bryz leave qnd we won't be either.
Good post. Agreed with every bit of it.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
forget his contract for 5 seconds and just watch hockey for what it is. you'll see a lot clearer.
tell me, whats the NHL like in your non-cap world ??

Old
03-22-2013, 02:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

If the Flyers don't have goaltending issues then nobody does.

Florida. nope.
Calgary. nope.
Edmonton. nope

All that is team related right? Because goaltending is and never is at fault. That goal that Leighton allowed to lose the Cup? nope. not his fault. must be the system. or the coaching. or the bright lights.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
If the Flyers don't have goaltending issues then nobody does.

Florida. nope.
Calgary. nope.
Edmonton. nope

All that is team related right? Because goaltending is and never is at fault. That goal that Leighton allowed to lose the Cup? nope. not his fault. must be the system. or the coaching. or the bright lights.
That was literally the worst goal I've ever seen. You can't even compare that to anything.

03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

On a positive note, Bryz hasn't allowed a goal in nearly 5 days.

Not bad.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:54 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
On a positive note, Bryz hasn't allowed a goal in nearly 5 days.

Not bad.
Which will end first, the Briere goal-less streak or the Bryzgalov shutout streak?

Old
03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
So depressing watching a goalie steal games.
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2012020402

Old
03-22-2013, 05:13 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Ooh! Link the Ottawa game too! And then just.. forget about the other 28 games.. yeah.

Closed Thread