HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 10:54 PM
  #301
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Edmonton is far and away the worst. Studies have shown a very strong correlation between shots allowed and scoring chances. The Flyers as a team are 7th overall in fewest shots allowed per game, meaning they're also allowing a smaller amount of scoring chances overall than roughly 2/3 of the league; there would have to be a massive deviation to put them towards the bottom in scoring chances against, considering the shots they allow. Yet, they're 24th in goals against per game. Considering the goaltender has a sub-900 save percentage, that makes sense. It's more an indictment of Bryz than it is the defense.

If Bryz were facing the 33.6 shots per game Edmonton's goalies average, his GAA would be 3.53 GAA, compared to his current 2.79. It's generally agreed upon by all the hockey brains that SV% is the stat most owned by the goalie, and that's the number you get if you apply his save percentage.

get outa here with ur crazy FACTS...

dont u know, its not the Bryz' fault.. every puck from every angle/distance is unstoppable..

weird how other goalies stop em thou.. hmmmm...

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
  #302
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Bryz stole the win against the Devils.
One good game among a string of 6 underwhelming performances isn't all that thrilling.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
  #303
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Edmonton is far and away the worst. Studies have shown a very strong correlation between shots allowed and scoring chances. The Flyers as a team are 7th overall in fewest shots allowed per game, meaning they're also allowing a smaller amount of scoring chances overall than roughly 2/3 of the league; there would have to be a massive deviation to put them towards the bottom in scoring chances against, considering the shots they allow. Yet, they're 24th in goals against per game. Considering the goaltender has a sub-900 save percentage, that makes sense. It's more an indictment of Bryz than it is the defense
What studies?

Ryker is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
  #304
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
What studies?


That's the best word I could come up with. I actually sat there and thought for a minute and couldn't do better.

Some reporters did number crunching with scoring chance numbers vs number of shots. Research?

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:00 AM
  #305
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post


That's the best word I could come up with. I actually sat there and thought for a minute and couldn't do better.

Some reporters did number crunching with scoring chance numbers vs number of shots. Research?
It's ok, I don't care about your wording. I just want to know if they were peer reviewed

Mgkibbles is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:03 AM
  #306
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
It's ok, I don't care about your wording. I just want to know if they were peer reviewed
I'm sure no taxpayer funding was used.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:11 AM
  #307
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,390
vCash: 500
Any interest in Miller? Buffalo could eat Bryz's salary or eventually buy him out.

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:39 AM
  #308
daynus
Registered User
 
daynus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Good Ole Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
interest in miller

that is a confirmative

daynus is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:43 AM
  #309
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Any interest in Miller? Buffalo could eat Bryz's salary or eventually buy him out.
Why would Buffalo get rid one head case in net for another?

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:49 AM
  #310
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Why would Buffalo get rid one head case in net for another?
we could eat Bryz's salary, let him play for a year or two to see how he does while we groom a new starter and than if he doesn't play well use pegula bucks for a buyout.

What would you guys offer for us to take that salary and acquire miller.

We need guys who are close or have potential to be top 6 forwards or top 4 dmen under the age of like 26. Draft picks are also very likeable.

JPurp26 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 12:53 AM
  #311
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
we could eat Bryz's salary, let him play for a year or two to see how he does while we groom a new starter and than if he doesn't play well use pegula bucks for a buyout.

What would you guys offer for us to take that salary and acquire miller.

We need guys who are close or have potential to be top 6 forwards or top 4 dmen under the age of like 26. Draft picks are also very likeable.
I don't see us acquiring Miller. I think we'll try to acquire a younger goalie like Bishop or Bernier. As for Bryz our owner has a little bit of money himself, he can buyout Bryz next year if he wants to.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:12 AM
  #312
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Bryz than Miller. No matter how good that guy is (not very good at all), I can't stand him and this wouldn't change if he came to Philadelphia.

Ryker is offline  
Old
03-20-2013, 02:16 AM
  #313
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,241
vCash: 500
Definitely have to add some young goaltending to the pipeline. You can never have enough young goalies around. See LA. See Washington.
Bernier put on a show tonight against Phoenix btw. 40/42

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
03-20-2013, 04:14 PM
  #314
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post


That's the best word I could come up with. I actually sat there and thought for a minute and couldn't do better.

Some reporters did number crunching with scoring chance numbers vs number of shots. Research?
Yeah, I wasn't ragging you for the word, I was just wondering how this has been investigated. I googled it and found some graphs, but there wasn't much explanation offered, so I'm not really sure what data was used and how reliable all of that is. I mean, in my mind it makes sense, but I wouldn't take that correlation for solid gold just yet.

Ryker is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
  #315
gto64dr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
I'm going to beat this dead horse again. Tonight I'm watching the Devils/Hurricane game. The Devils just came off a horrible 3-8-1 run with Hedberg in net. Tonight Broduer is playing.

The first period the Hurricanes were pounding shots on net. The Devils defense looked horrible, worse than the Flyers usually do, and Brodeur was pulling save after save out of his butt. He literally kept his team in the game with a chance to win.

I know there is only one Brodeur, but this is why the Devils are competitive every time Brodeur is in net. That is what an elite goalie does.

The Flyers defense is no better or worse than the Devils. The difference maker is the goalie. Those of you that blame the Flyers defense and Forwards should spend some time watching the Devils. They are not a great team, they don't have some magic formula for defense. They simply have an elite goalie. This is what elite goalies do.

We thought we were getting an elite goalie with Bryz, in the two seasons we've had him we have put up with inferior goaltending and he is why the Flyers won't make the playoffs this year. If we did we wouldn't get past the first round just like last year. He was terrible in that series, luckily for us MAF was worse.

gto64dr is offline  
Old
03-21-2013, 11:00 PM
  #316
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
I'm going to beat this dead horse again. Tonight I'm watching the Devils/Hurricane game. The Devils just came off a horrible 3-8-1 run with Hedberg in net. Tonight Broduer is playing.

The first period the Hurricanes were pounding shots on net. The Devils defense looked horrible, worse than the Flyers usually do, and Brodeur was pulling save after save out of his butt. He literally kept his team in the game with a chance to win.

I know there is only one Brodeur, but this is why the Devils are competitive every time Brodeur is in net. That is what an elite goalie does.

The Flyers defense is no better or worse than the Devils. The difference maker is the goalie. Those of you that blame the Flyers defense and Forwards should spend some time watching the Devils. They are not a great team, they don't have some magic formula for defense. They simply have an elite goalie. This is what elite goalies do.

We thought we were getting an elite goalie with Bryz, in the two seasons we've had him we have put up with inferior goaltending and he is why the Flyers won't make the playoffs this year. If we did we wouldn't get past the first round just like last year. He was terrible in that series, luckily for us MAF was worse.
your right you are beating a dead horse, but he is NOT the reason the flyers won't make the playoffs. he is one of the few players that even remotely gives us any shot at the delusion of the playoffs we're still sweatin' it out for like crackheads. you need to spend less time watching the devils and more time watching your own team. and forget his contract for 5 seconds and just watch hockey for what it is. you'll see a lot clearer.


Last edited by funghoul: 03-21-2013 at 11:07 PM.
funghoul is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
  #317
gto64dr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
I've been following the Flyers since 1967. In the past ten years I probably miss 5 games a year. I've watched every goaltender including the elite and legeary Bernie Parent, to rookie sensations Hextall, Lindberg, and Boucher. I've also watched all the other not so good goalies. I think I have a pretty good perspective on what a goalie should play like.

Bryz is not an elite goalie. I don't think he ever was. I still don't understand why the Flyers got him except they felt the pressure to get an elite goaltender because of the past failures.

I think we can chalk this up to a mistake with good intentions by Snider and Holmgren. They should have been more patient with Bob.

There are teams out there with elite goaltenders but they wouild die before parting with them. No one was sorry to see Bryz leave qnd we won't be either.

gto64dr is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
  #318
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
I've been following the Flyers since 1967. In the past ten years I probably miss 5 games a year. I've watched every goaltender including the elite and legeary Bernie Parent, to rookie sensations Hextall, Lindberg, and Boucher. I've also watched all the other not so good goalies. I think I have a pretty good perspective on what a goalie should play like.

Bryz is not an elite goalie. I don't think he ever was. I still don't understand why the Flyers got him except they felt the pressure to get an elite goaltender because of the past failures.

I think we can chalk this up to a mistake with good intentions by Snider and Holmgren. They should have been more patient with Bob.

There are teams out there with elite goaltenders but they wouild die before parting with them. No one was sorry to see Bryz leave qnd we won't be either.
Good post. Agreed with every bit of it.

hckyplayer8 is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 02:03 PM
  #319
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
forget his contract for 5 seconds and just watch hockey for what it is. you'll see a lot clearer.
tell me, whats the NHL like in your non-cap world ??


Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 02:28 PM
  #320
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,241
vCash: 500
If the Flyers don't have goaltending issues then nobody does.

Florida. nope.
Calgary. nope.
Edmonton. nope

All that is team related right? Because goaltending is and never is at fault. That goal that Leighton allowed to lose the Cup? nope. not his fault. must be the system. or the coaching. or the bright lights.

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
  #321
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 12,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
If the Flyers don't have goaltending issues then nobody does.

Florida. nope.
Calgary. nope.
Edmonton. nope

All that is team related right? Because goaltending is and never is at fault. That goal that Leighton allowed to lose the Cup? nope. not his fault. must be the system. or the coaching. or the bright lights.
That was literally the worst goal I've ever seen. You can't even compare that to anything.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
  #322
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,671
vCash: 500
On a positive note, Bryz hasn't allowed a goal in nearly 5 days.

Not bad.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
03-22-2013, 02:54 PM
  #323
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
On a positive note, Bryz hasn't allowed a goal in nearly 5 days.

Not bad.
Which will end first, the Briere goal-less streak or the Bryzgalov shutout streak?

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
  #324
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
So depressing watching a goalie steal games.
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2012020402

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
03-22-2013, 05:13 PM
  #325
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Ooh! Link the Ottawa game too! And then just.. forget about the other 28 games.. yeah.

blinds is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.