HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Flyers at Even Strength and Giroux

Old
03-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
The Flyers at Even Strength and Giroux

The Flyers put up some gaudy numbers last year for. WE had a unusual amount of career years for players across the board, which was something I felt was impossible to sustain this year. Many things contributed to this, one of the biggest is the exorbitant amount of PP opportunities we had last year.

This year every player, sans vorabeast, has fallen back to earth Giroux included. But what is alarming is the fact that the numbers are not due to a lack of PP chances but due to horrific even strength play.

As of now we are 1 goal back of the PP goal lead , and percentage wise we are 8th.

So the PP chances are there and can't explain for our lack of production compared to last year. THe Even- strength play on the other hand is a whole different story.

IM a big believer that Even strength play is what determines the success of a team over the long haul. If you look throughout history, teams within the top 10 of most even strength goals per game find themselves deep in the playoffs.

One of the players that i feel whose stats are inflated due to our PP is Giroux. Over half his pts this year have come from the pp.

Crosby ,Toews, Sedin's, Kane, Kopitar , Getzlaf etc etc not one of these players have generated 1/3 of their pts from the PP. These players are dominating the Even strength play.

The flyers use to be a team that dominated in the even strength as well, and when you look at our roster the talent is not matching the production. As much as i love giroux , i wouldhesistate to give him a big deal right now. IMO he is not a top 10 center in the league, and relies heavily on pp production.

Another player who has dropped in production recently is Schenn. Since Vorabeast was promoted to the first line his production has fallen fast. I think he is another player who's stats have been inflated by the talent around him.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The Flyers put up some gaudy numbers last year for. WE had a unusual amount of career years for players across the board, which was something I felt was impossible to sustain this year. Many things contributed to this, one of the biggest is the exorbitant amount of PP opportunities we had last year.

This year every player, sans vorabeast, has fallen back to earth Giroux included. But what is alarming is the fact that the numbers are not due to a lack of PP chances but due to horrific even strength play.

As of now we are 1 goal back of the PP goal lead , and percentage wise we are 8th.

So the PP chances are there and can't explain for our lack of production compared to last year. THe Even- strength play on the other hand is a whole different story.

IM a big believer that Even strength play is what determines the success of a team over the long haul. If you look throughout history, teams within the top 10 of most even strength goals per game find themselves deep in the playoffs.

One of the players that i feel whose stats are inflated due to our PP is Giroux. Over half his pts this year have come from the pp.

Crosby ,Toews, Sedin's, Kane, Kopitar , Getzlaf etc etc not one of these players have generated 1/3 of their pts from the PP. These players are dominating the Even strength play.

The flyers use to be a team that dominated in the even strength as well, and when you look at our roster the talent is not matching the production. As much as i love giroux , i wouldhesistate to give him a big deal right now. IMO he is not a top 10 center in the league, and relies heavily on pp production.

Another player who has dropped in production recently is Schenn. Since Vorabeast was promoted to the first line his production has fallen fast. I think he is another player who's stats have been inflated by the talent around him.
Just imagine if that 1rst PP unit was not clicking? Scary.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

All of those players have scored more than 1/3 of their points on the PP in various seasons. Many have scored over 40%. The year Crosby had 120 points half of them were on the PP.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:22 AM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
I agree with most of your post.

I think we came into last season with low expectations and were blown away. Because of that, the bar was set high for this year.

This team is no doubt playing not as well as they should be...we should be a 7-8-9 team (in the conference) IMO and we are playing like a 12-13-14 team.

However, I disagree with your trading of Giroux. Even if he is not a top 10 Center in the league (questionable), he is still the BEST center on the team by far and will be for the considerable future.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
I agree with most of your post.

I think we came into last season with low expectations and were blown away. Because of that, the bar was set high for this year.

This team is no doubt playing not as well as they should be...we should be a 7-8-9 team (in the conference) IMO and we are playing like a 12-13-14 team.

However, I disagree with your trading of Giroux. Even if he is not a top 10 Center in the league (questionable), he is still the BEST center on the team by far and will be for the considerable future.
Ok he is the best center on this team....if we give him a getzlaf, perry type deal it will cripple this team for the future.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:30 AM
FlyersFan61290

Schenn is 21 and inconsistent which is to be expected. theres nothing wrong with that. and if your suggesting that Voracek made him better then yeah he did. He's made everyone better that he's played with this year.

I'm concerned about G's contract too cause I think he will be around a ppg mot of his career which is great but he'll probably get super-star money instead of all-star money.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Also, 45% of Voracek's points came on the PP this year.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Ok he is the best center on this team....if we give him a getzlaf, perry type deal it will cripple this team for the future.
How do you figure that? There are pieces on the team that are making huge salary that are movable (Briere, Timonen, Bryz) that will make plunty of room to fit these younger players second contracts.

Let's just keep hoping G takes another discount on the contract like he did with the last one it'd make things a lot easier.

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:13 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Evgeni Malkin this year:
At Even Stength: 2 goals, 10 points
On Powerplay: 3 goals, 14 points
I feel sorry for the Penguins. They are about to give this bum who gets over 50% of his points on the powerplay a franchise-crippling contract.

Stamkos in 09-10: 43.6% of pts on powerplay
Stamkos in 10-11: 39.5%
St. Louis in 10-11: 41.4%
Thornton in 10-11: 48.5%
Daniel Sedin in 10-11: 40.4%
All overrated non top-10 players at their positions.

But Giroux is even worse, because he's doing this through 30 games of a lockout shortened season. Such a bum. Trade him, quickly.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
chromemaro

Quote:

Cripple the team?

We have 12 million of our cap space next year will be briere and kimo. Which will both come off the books in time for his extension.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Cripple the team?

We have 12 million of our cap space next year will be briere and kimo. Which will both come off the books in time for his extension.
both of whom can be traded or amnestied.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Cripple the team?

that doesnt mean it's alright to give him a Getzlaf contract

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Mgkibbles

Unless Giroux has a winger that's dominate during ES he's not likely to put up big numbers 5v5. Roux will probably always be just a good ES player, and one of the best, if not the best PP Qb. Which is fine.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:00 PM

It's a year of adjustment for G. He's closed down by everyone to the nth degree right now, he's just got to learn to make a little more space for himself.

Next year will be hella good.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Amen.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
The whole team seems to struggle at even strength. When that happens for two whole months, I look at the coach. Something isn't working with his plan.

03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
If the Flyers don't want to give him him $8 million a year another team will.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
sho nuff...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
The entire team is producing at even strength at the same rate as an 8-win Panthers team. They haven't been good, and they've been less lucky. PDO is way down across the board.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:14 PM
ahthorne

Giroux is one of the best PP players in the league, and he's probably one of the most creative and skilled offensive players in the league. Jakub Voracek and possibly Matt Read are the only other players on this team that has been consistant offensively.

Giroux had 38 PP points last season. Something like 40% of his production. To be honest, I don't have any issues with Giroux's play this year other than he's not producing at the rate he could be, possibly because he's also being relied on defensively. Schenn and Couturier are sophomore slumping and Hartnell and Briere have both missed time and really been awful. That, coupled with an inept defense, is the recipe for Claude Giroux to have a rough season as he's already in a situation where he needs to be elite but he has NO support other than Voracek, Timonen and a few others.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:35 PM
BringBackStevens

It makes sense that him and the team look just fine on the PP but less so at even strength. With the way this team is struggling to move the puck up the ice that has a much larger effect at even strength than on the power play.

I think it's a symptom of a flaw on the team a lot more than anything to do with him. He's not getting as many opportunities with the puck in dangerous places on the ice as he was last year.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Giroux is one of the best PP players in the league, and he's probably one of the most creative and skilled offensive players in the league. Jakub Voracek and possibly Matt Read are the only other players on this team that has been consistant offensively.

Giroux had 38 PP points last season. Something like 40% of his production. To be honest, I don't have any issues with Giroux's play this year other than he's not producing at the rate he could be, possibly because he's also being relied on defensively. Schenn and Couturier are sophomore slumping and Hartnell and Briere have both missed time and really been awful. That, coupled with an inept defense, is the recipe for Claude Giroux to have a rough season as he's already in a situation where he needs to be elite but he has NO support other than Voracek, Timonen and a few others.
He also has no faceoff support and consequently has taken more faceoffs than any other player in the league. The Flyers really need to bring a Boyd Gordon type to take some of the defensive zone draws Giroux has been taking.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Then you let them. The Flyers have a good enough foundation* that if Giroux walks for four firsts, you take the compensation, and add that depth to your organization over the next four years. Then, after year four, you can deal the firsts and seconds to get the player that'll get you over the top. It could even be Giroux (see Gratton).

We've seen what happened to Pitkanen, Richards, Carter and Gagne. They had some incredible seasons for the Flyers. In Pitkanen and Carter's case, it was actually closer to one. Still, if the Flyers were offered four first for either of those players, I don't think anyone here knowing what we now know wouldn't take those picks.

*Top nine forwards - Voracek, Hartnell, Read, Simmonds
*Third-line forwards - Schenn, Couturier
*Fourth-line forwards - McGinn, Rinaldo, Laughton
*Extras - Zolnierczyk, Wellwood, Holmstrom, Cousins

*3/4 defensemen - Coburn, Grossmann, Meszaros, Schenn
*5/6 defensemen - Gustafsson
*Extras - Manning

We're not that far out...

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:26 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Wow. A bad start followed by 20 points in 17 games and people are starting to suggest we let him go for 4 late firsts.

One guy is even saying those 4 late 1sts could help us land a player better than Giroux. Because those 4 1sts + a ridiculously unfavorable contract structure clearly got us Shea Weber .

This fan base...

I always knew it was possible certain members of our fan base would turn on Giroux, I just thought it'd take a little more than 30 games of "only" .9 PPG performance.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:42 AM
GTopCheese

He'd probably have better ES numbers if Hartnell wasn't useless so far. Need someone else on the LW.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote