HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travis Ewanyk Signed to 3-Year ELC

Old
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Would they have to sign him to trade him???

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:55 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Most of the people bashing this signing have not seen him play and are just going off of stats. Stats do not tell the whole story
It could also just be that some people just like other prospects better. Everyone has their favorites just a matter of opinion. Loved Czerwonka but understood why he wasn't signed.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Most teams didn't draft those guys thinking they would be 3rd or 4th line checkers. That is mostly just players adapting to a different role so they can continue their dream of become an NHL player.
And that's why the Oilers penchant for drafting checkers and disturbers high is suspect. Draft talent and if the person does not pan out as a scorer they can become something else.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:12 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
I've watched 12-15 times. I know he can skate and is good defensively and I've always enjoyed his style of game. IMO I guy like him is a luxury not a most sign guy when there are higher upside guys left to be signed. If they sign the rest of those guys and it still leaves contract flexibility I'm fine with it.
I think in a year or two most people will like this siging if he was not injured in December he would of got an invite to the WJRS training and there was a good chance he would of made it also.

Also should be noted that he doesnt score as much because he is always facing the other teams top line

Last edited by monkeywrench: 03-22-2013 at 04:17 PM.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
And that's why the Oilers penchant for drafting checkers and disturbers high is suspect. Draft talent and if the person does not pan out as a scorer they can become something else.
Clearly the Cogliano and Pouliot players didn't work out for this very reason.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
M00se

Quote:
Most teams didn't draft those guys thinking they would be 3rd or 4th line checkers. That is mostly just players adapting to a different role so they can continue their dream of become an NHL player.
That's not the point. Guys who don't score in juniors definetly won't score in the NHL. And you have to have SOME semblance of scoring to play in the NHL. I just don't see him being able to play a regular shift in the NHL and contribute. Guys who scored similar rates to him in their junior careers and played in the NHL are limited to Hordichuk, Boogaard, Moen and Matt Kassian. If he turns into Moen that's awesome. But chances are he'll be a hard working 3rd liner in OKC for 3 years then not resigned and we will have wasted a contract spot on him.

As noted above his contract spot is better used on Gernat, Bigos or Reider.

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Harley

Like it. Stu better head out on the road this year with a jar of Smuckers in his coat pocket. Because our team needs a whole lot more jam.

lol at guys saying it's a useless signing. Brown has borderline skills too. Players with huge hearts and no fear find a way to get it done. And every team needs them. Ours more than most.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:24 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se View Post
That's not the point. Guys who don't score in juniors definetly won't score in the NHL. And you ahve to have SOME semblance of scoring to play in the NHL. I just don't see him being able to play a regular shift in the NHL and contribute. Guys who scored similar rates to him in their junior careers and played in the NHL are limited to Hordichuk, Boogaard, Moen and Matt Kassian. If he turns into Moen that's awesome. But chances are he'll be a hard working 3rd liner in OKC for 3 years then not resigned and we will have wasted a contract spot on him.

As noted above his contract spot is better used on Gernat, Bigos or Reider.
He is a lot better of a player then the ones you mention that I have high lighted. H emost likely will turn into a Meon typer of player but a better skater. He is the type of player you want in on your team when it comes to playoff time. He also plays against the other teams best lines that is why he doesnt score as much as you would hope him to.
People have to remember that the Oil Kings are a stacked team and because of that he doesnt get as much ice time or PP time. If he was on any other team he would be for certain a second line center and getting that regular shift on the PP and more faceoffs down in the offensive zone.

Ewanyk is by far a better prospect than Bigos. Bigos is mean and everything, but I believe he will be to slow for the NHL.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Perhaps watching him play and understanding his role on that team. They don't win solely on scoring...
actually, I have seen him play...great checker and energy guy and a big hitter too

but even 3rd and 4th liners bring a little offense to the NHL...can he translate that to the NHL?

heck, Eric Belanger had 83 points in the Q

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Like it. Stu better head out on the road this year with a jar of Smuckers in his coat pocket. Because our team needs a whole lot more jam.

lol at guys saying it's a useless signing. Brown has borderline skills too. Players with huge hearts and no fear find a way to get it done. And every team needs them. Ours more than most.
Sure, but why take the risk that he doesn't. If the guy is at best a 4th liner why even take that risk? Why not trade that pick for Mike Brown?

The fact is if he wasn't an Oil King he would've fell in the draft, instead we drafted him and will give him every chance in the world to make this team whether he deserves it or not.

My other issue is it's one thing to be able to throw some kids around and shut them down, what's he going to do with men that are on equal or greater strength then him?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
M00se

Quote:
He is a lot better of a player then the ones you mention that I have high lighted. H emost likely will turn into a Meon typer of player but a better skater. He is the type of player you want in on your team when it comes to playoff time. He also plays against the other teams best lines that is why he doesnt score as much as you would hope him to.
People have to remember that the Oil Kings are a stacked team and because of that he doesnt get as much ice time or PP time. If he was on any other team he would be for certain a second line center and getting that regular shift on the PP and more faceoffs down in the offensive zone.

Ewanyk is by far a better prospect than Bigos. Bigos is mean and everything, but I believe he will be to slow for the NHL.
I don't deny he has speed and can skate circles around any of the guys I listed. I'm only going by his scoring and he just hasn't ever shown he can contribute. And yes I realize scoring isn't everything, but it is the most important thing by a country mile. And you have to admit that you must have some scoring to be able to play in the NHL. Unless he just isn't showing his offensive prowess I just don't see it happening.

But again, I hope I'm wrong, I would love for him to turn into a hard hitting 55% FO centre who can pot 15 goals and 15 assists. I'm just not betting on that happening.

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:39 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Reminds me of Liam Reddox
You make the absolutely oddest comparisons that i've ever seen.
The 2 are nothing alike.

Anyway, i don't see why so many are upset with the signing. He brings a lot of qualities that we can use in the bottom 6 as long as he stays relatively healthy.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:45 PM
dixs35

Quote:
I think in a year or two most people will like this siging if he was not injured in December he would of got an invite to the WJRS training and there was a good chance he would of made it also.

Also should be noted that he doesnt score as much because he is always facing the other teams top line
Sounds pretty close to that Japanese kid the Oil traded for, but he scored more.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
The emphasis put on the stats line in this thread is ridiculous. Ewanyk wasn't drafted to score he was drafted as a defensive 3rd line center. Bob Gainey had 43 pts in 53 games in his junior career and only scored 20 or more goals 4 times in his 16 NHL seasons. Guess he wasn't a useful player.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

waste of a contract. wow

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Sure, but why take the risk that he doesn't. If the guy is at best a 4th liner why even take that risk? Why not trade that pick for Mike Brown?

The fact is if he wasn't an Oil King he would've fell in the draft, instead we drafted him and will give him every chance in the world to make this team whether he deserves it or not.

My other issue is it's one thing to be able to throw some kids around and shut them down, what's he going to do with men that are on equal or greater strength then him?
I can guarentee you that two other teams were going to take him in the 3rd round.

I don't deny he has speed and can skate circles around any of the guys I listed. I'm only going by his scoring and he just hasn't ever shown he can contribute. And yes I realize scoring isn't everything, but it is the most important thing by a country mile. And you have to admit that you must have some scoring to be able to play in the NHL. Unless he just isn't showing his offensive prowess I just don't see it happening.

But again, I hope I'm wrong, I would love for him to turn into a hard hitting 55% FO centre who can pot 15 goals and 15 assists. I'm just not betting on that happening.

I agree with you in that and I see him as consent 15-20 point guy in the NHL. Call me crazy but he is the kind of guy you can throw out in the pp and let him sit in front of the net. He will be a useful guy just not the biggest point producer

Old
03-22-2013, 05:22 PM
ClydeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se View Post
The problem is that checkers in the NHL were scorers in the WHL. Even Brodziak had 90+ points in juniors. I just don't see enough offensive upside to justify wasting a contract on him. I hope he proves me wrong, I just highly doubt it.
Guys like Brodziak were drafted as potential-top six guys but couldn't cut it so teams tried to turn them into a bottom six player. Nobody will confuse Ewanyk as a potential top six player, everyone including Travis knows what he needs to do to make the Show.

Can anyone here honestly say that they think he'll provide less than Belanger is right now?

ClydeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:29 PM
monkeywrench

http://www.630ched.com/Podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2254

With 15:30ish left in the first aavialble podcast on this link coach Laxdel gives everyone a good explanation on Ewanyk. I would advise people to losten too it

Old
03-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
The definition of a long shot
Ultra long shot.

I don't get why we keep wasting picks on this type of player, or wasting roster spots. Tambo proved early this year, even he can use a 4th round pick and trade for the next 'Brown'.

Agghhhh.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:45 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
actually, I have seen him play...great checker and energy guy and a big hitter too

but even 3rd and 4th liners bring a little offense to the NHL...can he translate that to the NHL?

heck, Eric Belanger had 83 points in the Q
and he was a consistent 40 point scorer until he came to edmonton

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:01 PM
sailorjerry96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
waste of a contract. wow
was just about to say...

sailorjerry96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Nail and Nuge

Meh- could be interesting on the 3rd or 4th line. Character, Mean, PK. Don't mind.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:19 PM
JaredCowenFan
True Canadian - '67

Welcome to the big leagues bud. Love this kid. Loved him with the Oil Kings and it'll carry on. Love him as a "Grinder."

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:53 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeGuy View Post
Guys like Brodziak were drafted as potential-top six guys but couldn't cut it so teams tried to turn them into a bottom six player. Nobody will confuse Ewanyk as a potential top six player, everyone including Travis knows what he needs to do to make the Show.

Can anyone here honestly say that they think he'll provide less than Belanger is right now?
Brodziak was a 7th round pick. Hardly a guy who would have been looked at for the top6

Old
03-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
The emphasis put on the stats line in this thread is ridiculous. Ewanyk wasn't drafted to score he was drafted as a defensive 3rd line center. Bob Gainey had 43 pts in 53 games in his junior career and only scored 20 or more goals 4 times in his 16 NHL seasons. Guess he wasn't a useful player.
You're going old school, so your post doesn't count!

Actually I totally agree with this type of post. Too much stock being put into the stats area for my liking around here....not just in this thread neither. There are a few "other" things many players bring to the table other than goals and assists. Seems to have kind of passed over some of the, what I would term, "newer" hockey fans heads.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote