HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Puzzling Question On What To Do With Sergei Gonchar-Contract Extension Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 04:31 AM
  #51
arglebargle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 1000
Yeah you're right, age has no effect on hockey players. Let's sign Gordie Howe and get Denis Potvin to suit up for us.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
  #52
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Agreed. Gonchar has always received WAAAAY too much flak in this city. And lol @ anyone thinking he wouldnt have a spot next year. Gonchar is a lock for our top 4 next year. Easily.
wait... did someone really said that? (haven't read all thread)



That's what so amazing about HF Boards, when you think you've seen everything, some gems like this are thrown out



Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Did you just lump Gonchar with Lundin and Gilroy?
lol somebody has been using too much magix powder

Sometimes I have a hard time believing my eyes... Bias is an amazing phenomenon of the human kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Of course fans are allowed to boo or do whatever they want. Just like we let people with low IQ and income breed. Its allowed but all it really does is produce negative results. It accomplishes nothing and lessens our franchise/society's ability to function.
Everybody should know by 2013 that IQ doesn't determine the intelligence. It's a factor, but it's not the be-all and end-all. Gardner's theory is 20 years old now.


Last edited by Xspyrit: 03-22-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
  #53
koreaboy
Registered User
 
koreaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
the comparable for me for gonch since he's been here has been poor old krafty. i LOVED igor kravchuk and i thought he was a critial piece of our puzzle but he was a bit of a whipping boy for some fans. similar type players. very smooth, classy, puckmoving players who handled it alot but when they made mistakes, they looked bad. krafty took way too much flak, and i think the early flak that gonch took was undeserved.

now that being said, i think gonch is playing BETTER than krafty did right now. point to me the bunch of mistakes that he's making? you can't. he's been excellent. breaking up plays, mentoring young players, providing leadership, playing key minutes everywhere, putting up points. without gonch this past couple of months we'd be screwed. we need him.

if he'd take 1 year at $5mil i'd do it. if we had to tack on a 2nd year i'd do it if he took $4mil or better yet, less. he's an important player for our team and i'm sorry, but we shouldnt be counting on ceci coming in to fill it in the next year or two.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
  #54
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
I'm not confident in him over the course of a full season. Last year it was the karlsson show, kuba being healthy and cowen coming into his own (he did have his rookie moments though). Gonchar was inconsistent, now this year he has been better but there are many factors as to why and they wouldnt occur if it was a normal offseason/year.

Ceci wont be ready for a couple of years but why not let one of the kids fill in or grab someone younger? Visnovsky, streit, white and others are all being pending FAs, any of them would look good beside cowen. Point is moot though, as I have a feeling Murray will extend him anyway.

p.s The powder is great.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:26 PM
  #55
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 500
The dumb fans who still are hating on him will be his deciding factor for leaving. He could go somewhere like Pittsburgh and actually be respected by their fans. I've been a huge fan of his since he came here and will be sad to see him go.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:50 PM
  #56
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
Lol, I m dumb for "hating" on him. Seriously, I just listed some negative aspects instead of drinking the kool aid. Fact is if they sign him for a year or two, I wont expect much but hope for the best.

Also pretty sure gonchar doesnt give a **** about whats being said about him on the internet. Nice to know that we cant talk about a player's weaknesses.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:00 PM
  #57
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
I'm not confident in him over the course of a full season. Last year it was the karlsson show, kuba being healthy and cowen coming into his own (he did have his rookie moments though). Gonchar was inconsistent, now this year he has been better but there are many factors as to why and they wouldnt occur if it was a normal offseason/year.

Ceci wont be ready for a couple of years but why not let one of the kids fill in or grab someone younger? Visnovsky, streit, white and others are all being pending FAs, any of them would look good beside cowen. Point is moot though, as I have a feeling Murray will extend him anyway.

p.s The powder is great.
You're advocating letting letting Gonchar walk to bring in Visnovski or Streit because they are younger. Well, Visnovski is turning 37 this year, Streit 36. They also both heavily rely on their skating unlike Gonchar, and that's one of the first thing to go for older players. These guys could drop off severely in the next few years if they follow their peers.

Its just an incredibly weak argument. You're grasping here and it seems you're not able to properly value Gonchar as player because of some personal bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Lol, I m dumb for "hating" on him. Seriously, I just listed some negative aspects instead of drinking the kool aid. Fact is if they sign him for a year or two, I wont expect much but hope for the best.

Also pretty sure gonchar doesnt give a **** about whats being said about him on the internet. Nice to know that we cant talk about a player's weaknesses.
Bolded: where did you do this?

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
  #58
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
You're advocating letting letting Gonchar walk to bring in Visnovski or Streit because they are younger. Well, Visnovski is turning 37 this year, Streit 36. They also both heavily rely on their skating unlike Gonchar, and that's one of the first thing to go for older players. These guys could drop off severely in the next few years if they follow their peers.

Its just an incredibly weak argument. You're grasping here and it seems you're not able to properly value Gonchar as player because of some personal bias.



Bolded: where did you do this?
Being inconsistent and at times soft arent negative qualities to someone's game? Obviously my argument is weak as he has been doing well this year (I cant really pick him apart for that) and I didnt go into detail or bring up examples in regards to his softness/inconsistency but even in his best year with the sens (last year) he had those kind of nights.

As for visnovsk/streit if sens want some vet presence on the back end why not get guys who are better than gonchar? And in my eyes they are all old and have the same likelihood of falling off next year.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:21 PM
  #59
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
Yeah you're right, age has no effect on hockey players. Let's sign Gordie Howe and get Denis Potvin to suit up for us.
Whoosh

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:37 PM
  #60
trobby
Registered User
 
trobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
1 Year at his current salary, and I'll be okay with it.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:39 PM
  #61
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bogor, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Lol, I m dumb for "hating" on him. Seriously, I just listed some negative aspects instead of drinking the kool aid. Fact is if they sign him for a year or two, I wont expect much but hope for the best.

Also pretty sure gonchar doesnt give a **** about whats being said about him on the internet. Nice to know that we cant talk about a player's weaknesses.
I could be wrong, but he might have been recalling the boos from last year's home opener?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:18 PM
  #62
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I could be wrong, but he might have been recalling the boos from last year's home opener?
He said "still", I dont recall gonchar being boo'ed this year. And since I was the only one who you can say was "hating" in this thread, I take it he was lumping me with the dumb fans...

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:50 AM
  #63
wisers87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kemptville
Country: Canada
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Being inconsistent and at times soft arent negative qualities to someone's game? Obviously my argument is weak as he has been doing well this year (I cant really pick him apart for that) and I didnt go into detail or bring up examples in regards to his softness/inconsistency but even in his best year with the sens (last year) he had those kind of nights.

As for visnovsk/streit if sens want some vet presence on the back end why not get guys who are better than gonchar? And in my eyes they are all old and have the same likelihood of falling off next year.
you really believe those guys are better then gonchar?

wisers87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:21 AM
  #64
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Lol, I m dumb for "hating" on him. Seriously, I just listed some negative aspects instead of drinking the kool aid. Fact is if they sign him for a year or two, I wont expect much but hope for the best.
Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Definite hell no to him coming back. I remember how bad this guy was over the course of a full normal season. Sadly phillips seems to be here for life, and I dont want guys like lundin, gonchar, gilroy ect ect to be here stealing roster spots from young guys like wiercioch, gryba, ceci and borowiecki.
Nice list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Being inconsistent and at times soft arent negative qualities to someone's game? Obviously my argument is weak as he has been doing well this year (I cant really pick him apart for that) and I didnt go into detail or bring up examples in regards to his softness/inconsistency but even in his best year with the sens (last year) he had those kind of nights.
What? NHL players (or every god damn human being on this planet for that matter) aren't at their 100% every game (or all the time)? Some are inconsistent? wow, never thought about this...

As for softness, who cares? Lidstrom and Karlsson can be considered soft or even softer. It's just not their style and they don't really need to be "physical". Same goes for Gonchar. His positioning is awesome, he has an active stick and plays a sound "cerebral/positional" game. Watch games and see how many opposite offensive plays Gonchar break or how many goals he potentially save with just subtle "soft" plays.

When will people understand that a defense doesn't have to be composed of 6 Volchenkovs? Or when will people simply "understand" the game of hockey?

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:53 AM
  #65
CarknerCountry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
We are not winning the cup this year. I say trade him his value is high as it will ever be. The sens might get a ransoms.

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:21 AM
  #66
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSens View Post
We are not winning the cup this year. I say trade him his value is high as it will ever be. The sens might get a ransoms.
The problem with this statement is that there are many teams who have even a less of a chance at the cup than us (once Methot & Spezza are back) will retain such a player like Gonchar to have a chance. The main piece we'd get back is a late 1st and I'd rather Gonchar for a potential playoffs run.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:24 AM
  #67
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Words on the street is he wants to go back to Pitt for family reasons, I'm not expecting him to re-sign.

H2O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:31 AM
  #68
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSens View Post
We are not winning the cup this year. I say trade him his value is high as it will ever be. The sens might get a ransoms.
Too bad this is not EHM. The Sens make money when good players are in the lineup, because it's ****ing exciting that way. We're not trading Gonchar, or Alfredsson, or anybody unless it improves our team this year.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
  #69
dan1el
Registered User
 
dan1el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 500
I'm sure if he wants to stay, we'd give him what he wants for next year. It's not like money is an issue for us, we have plenty of cap space, and it's even more of a non-issue because we'd only be taking him on a one or two year deal. The question whether he wants to.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:51 AM
  #70
PoutineSp00nZ
Registered User
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
I'm sure if he wants to stay, we'd give him what he wants for next year. It's not like money is an issue for us, we have plenty of cap space, and it's even more of a non-issue because we'd only be taking him on a one or two year deal. The question whether he wants to.
exactly. I dont see how the sens don't re-sign the guy if he wants to stay

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:50 PM
  #71
StefanW
Classless
 
StefanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,313
vCash: 0
Depends on who we bring in at the trade deadline and who is available in the free agent period. I personally want him to stay, but my guess is that he will be pushing for two years. If someone younger comes along who is not a huge dropoff in talent it would be better for the team to go with the younger guy. If no moves are made then it is better to keep him and try to sign him to a one year deal.

My guess is some team out there will be willing to overpay for him next year, judging by what happened to our UFA defensemen last year.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
  #72
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,941
vCash: 500
Family reasons in Pittsburgh? Didn't Gonchar move his family to Ottawa? The reason he wanted 3 years instead of 2 I thought was for stability for his family...

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:00 PM
  #73
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,665
vCash: 500
Gonchar has had a good yr, no question, but he has also had some crappy yrs here too. We under value them during crappy yrs & we over value them when they are playing well. Personally, I would rather not re-sign him but I think it could go either way. Just like Kuba depending on what Gonchar wants & what Murray is willing to give in terms of money & more importantly I think is the length of contract. I don't think Murray would sign him for more than one yr & whether Gonchar wants two yrs. We'll see.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
  #74
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
It will depend on what he wants. Another year would be perfect. Two? Less so, and not entirely desirable. Gonchar should do what is best for Gonchar though.

Sure, Gonchar had a bad start to the contract, but overall he has more than lived up to what he was paid to do. Ottawa will likely make the playoffs twice in three seasons on the strength of his efforts. If he wasn't on the team I'm not sure we'd be anywhere but in the bottom-5.

His addition has also helped in other ways too, we haven't been forced into some expensive trades or forced to rush prospects. He's been a rock on the second pairing for us. Without him, I'm not sure the team would be where it is now. He's also been nothing but a leader for the team and a mentor for Kalrsson.

Yes, we're likely not winning the cup this season, and I'd disagree with Ottawa trading for rentals, but we're not in a position to be losing players either, so I disagree with trading him.

Even if we got a 1st rounder for him (which, to me, is the most we could expect to receive), I would oppose a trade. It's not that I wouldn't love the extra draft pick but there's always the possibility that we could go deep. The extra revenue from playoffs could help keep the team financially healthy and a strong run from Anderson or Lehner could us into a cinderella story.

For those who think adding assets is the only way to rebuild, you also need to consider the playoffs and the experience in them as part of the re-building process as well. Some of Ottawa's best draft picks have come AFTER Ottawa started making the playoffs (Hossa, Havlat, Volchenkov, etc..).

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 02:19 PM
  #75
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
I believe this season will be an asterisk for alot of role players or older players "re-emerging". Gonchar will fall into that category and I expect him to go back to being inconsistent next season if they extend him. And all players have inconsistencies, its just varies from the stars to the role players.

If he shines next season, I'll admit I was wrong (doubt that will happen though).

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.