HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are habs fans so pessimistic/critical??

Old
03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

vCash: 500
Why are habs fans so pessimistic/critical??

i find it ironic that for as long as i can remember the fans are our teams worst enemy. i remember back in '93 how hard the fans were on roy and when he grabs the cup it almost seems like he curses the fans out [my speculation on his facial features as he yells something]. the year theo wins vezina i remember he was having average game and in a quiet moment a fan yelling down at him. its like WTF???

I was on another site and they were asking about what disapoints them this year?? really?? disappoints?? we are closer to 1st then 8th and they want to know whats disappointing??

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Frankenheimer

Two reasons:

1) Learned behaviour

2) Nature abhors a vacuum

The end result are GDT threads where everyone "sucks" at least once a game.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Coldplay
Courage

We're 20-5-5 and have 1 regulation loss in the last month and a half and yet we're still too small to have a chance at winning anything of silver consequence, apparently.

So, yeah, beats me.

Ryane Clowe and Matt Kassian **** yeah!

Also, you're not allowed to criticize the fans on these boards for being critical.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Disturbed1
Dale ****ing Weise

vCash: 50
Two Words: We Care. Look at the media where hockey isn't even the third popular sport in town, yeah it sucks. I'd rather have nutty fans mixed in with the level headed ones than no fans at all to talk with around here.

Disturbed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its the nature of hardcore sports fans, and it applies to everyone, not just montreal.

Unless you go 82-0-0 followed by 16-0, there will be griping going on at some point in the season. These fans demand perfection in a profession where perfection has never been achieved.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:37 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed1 View Post
Two Words: We Care. Look at the media where hockey isn't even the third popular sport in town, yeah it sucks. I'd rather have nutty fans mixed in with the level headed ones than no fans at all to talk with around here.
i tried that with my wife didnt work!! i will admit i listen to tsn 690 out of montreal because i actually get to listen to hockey talk. you would think here in jersey with njd, nyr, nyi and philly there would be alot of hockey talk... NOPE.. i dont mind the crazy habs fan its the constant eyeore from winnie the pooh syndrome. the day is sunny but it might rain one day...

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Milhouse40

MTL Fans knows one thing.....playoff is everything.

It's a good thing to be so high in the standing right now.
It's a good thing to almost have a guaranteed playoff spot.

But what good it is to end the season in 1st place,,,,,,just to loose it all in the first round?

It's the "never enough" syndroms. Until we got our 25th stanley cup...it will never be enough

Milhouse40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
lostriver

heck, some habs fans even criticise other habs fans for being critical.

lostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

If you refer to the other thread, maybe you should ask those who started calling out those who criticized a player for playing poorly in the beginning of the season.

People here can't make the difference between criticism and negativism.

Kass Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Et le But

An inability to get over the past.

Even for those of us who weren't alive for the dynasty years, even those who can't remember 93 constantly hear about how great the team was in the past, and how the Habs are the Yankees/Lakers of hockey, and that winning is the expectation, not the goal. No other fan base has found it so difficult to get over the fact that the game has changed from what it was even in 93, and how there is the assumption that just because they are the Canadiens they deserve to win.

Any player is going to be compared to the guys whose numbers are hanging up on the rafters. If the goalie isn't Roy or Dryden, he's not good enough. If the winger isn't Lafleur or Richard, the same. Even in 93, the team was compared to the Habs of the 70's.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Even for those of us who weren't alive for the dynasty years, even those who can't remember 93 constantly hear about how great the team was in the past, and how the Habs are the Yankees/Lakers of hockey, and that winning is the expectation, not the goal. No other fan base has found it so difficult to get over the fact that the game has changed from what it was even in 93, and how there is the assumption that just because they are the Canadiens they deserve to win.

Any player is going to be compared to the guys whose numbers are hanging up on the rafters. If the goalie isn't Roy or Dryden, he's not good enough. If the winger isn't Lafleur or Richard, the same. Even in 93, the team was compared to the Habs of the 70's.
I'm from that era as are all my friends. We've got almost 10 Stanley Cups in our first-hand memories. Yeah, it was cool, but honestly, I don't know anyone of my age whose expectations are stuck back then.

One of the best times I ever had as a Habs fan was in 2010, precisely because it was totally unexpected. One of the greatest rides of my life as a hockey fan!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:12 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'm from that era as are all my friends. We've got almost 10 Stanley Cups in our first-hand memories. Yeah, it was cool, but honestly, I don't know anyone of my age whose expectations are stuck back then.

One of the best times I ever had as a Habs fan was in 2010, precisely because it was totally unexpected. One of the greatest rides of my life as a hockey fan!
Awesome. 2010 was a. lot of fun

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
If you refer to the other thread, maybe you should ask those who started calling out those who criticized a player for playing poorly in the beginning of the season.

People here can't make the difference between criticism and negativism.
This issue has nothing to do with hockey and everything to do with internet etiquette. I've been the Admin of a message board filled with a bunch of professional writers who you'd think would be mature and civil, right? Wrong. Man, these men and women get into the hissiest, foulest fits of temperment on a weekly basis. I've had to do my Dr. Phil diplomatic routine and have warned, threatened and banned more people than I can count.

And yet when I met some of these guys in New York, they were the sweetest people in person.

Lesson: Most people on message boards don't write with nuance, and fewer read with nuance. If you, Andy, Coldplay, etc were sitting together at a restaurant instead of typing anonymously, I promise you this 'calling out' would be worth nothing more than a, "Seriously? Okay whatever."

More important, if you were all sitting next to each other at a Habs game, you'd have spent the last two months high-fiving instead of bickering.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:49 PM
habtastic

The Habs have become so great (and we love them so much) that they'll never live up to expectations until they do.

All you have to do in Toronto is make the playoffs. Know what I mean?

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
Why are habs fans so pessimistic/critical???
Because for many, all they are thinking is "the ******** haven't given us fans the Cup we deserve for our hard work for 20 years now",

only 2 Cups in 33 years.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:53 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Its the nature of hardcore sports fans, and it applies to everyone, not just montreal.

Unless you go 82-0-0 followed by 16-0, there will be griping going on at some point in the season. These fans demand perfection in a profession where perfection has never been achieved.
Disagree. It's regional. I live in Seattle now and fans are happy and appreciative with unexpected success here (like the Seahawks last season). You couldn't find anyone saying anything negative. It's more prevelant in the Northeast where I'm from.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
icerocket

This place flip flops constantly and it's pretty sad/funny.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Disagree. It's regional. I live in Seattle now and fans are happy and appreciative with unexpected success here (like the Seahawks last season). You couldn't find anyone saying anything negative. It's more prevelant in the Northeast where I'm from.
I visit washington alot, as I basically live on the border, and I find this a little hard to believe. Are you telling me that you couldn't find some people that were not feeling a bit bitter and frustrated after any of the losses?

I'm talking about a certain segment of fans here, the hardcore fans that live and die with each result.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:02 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

We simply spend too much time on this. So we micro analyze everything and tend to forget that we also have bad days of work in a lot of jobs where you don't have someone directly in your face trying to make you look bad.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
heck, some habs fans even criticise other habs fans for being critical.
Are you being critical of fans who critic other fans of being critical?

And so making me critical of you being critical of other fans who are critical of other fans being critical!?

I'm getting deja vu from the Doughty whining thread on the main board.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
We're 20-5-5 and have 1 regulation loss in the last month and a half and yet we're still too small to have a chance at winning anything of silver consequence, apparently.

So, yeah, beats me.

Ryane Clowe and Matt Kassian **** yeah!

Also, you're not allowed to criticize the fans on these boards for being critical.
No one cares about what you think of a fan's behavior. If they want to be critical, to rant, be overly positive, etc. who are you to judge them ?

Des Louise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
We simply spend too much time on this. So we micro analyze everything and tend to forget that we also have bad days of work in a lot of jobs where you don't have someone directly in your face trying to make you look bad.
I'll stand in a booth and allow you to insult me for 82 nights each year in various cities for 1M+.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
icerocket

Plus hockey is the only major sport Montreal has left. Ever since the Expos left it's basically 365 days of Habs here now.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

Today's equivalent is the NJD or the DRW. Is it wrong to want that much?

Old
03-22-2013, 06:11 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
No one cares about what you think of a fan's behavior. If they want to be critical, to rant, be overly positive, etc. who are you to judge them ?
People often find pointing out flaws in coaching or flaws in certain players performance to be whining. It's a discussion board and there are always things to improve even when you're 20-5-5. It comes from passion and love of the sport. I'd rather discuss the game with someone who I disagree with and is passionate about the game than some suit at the ACC who applauds everything.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote