HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 07:45 PM
anleva

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Call me crazy but I never understood the hype about Dumervil anyways.

I'd take Freeney, Osi, Doom, or Abraham - they're all pretty much in the same category/level for me. Dumervil is elite pass rusher but can't play every down. All 3 of those other guys can. Also, you got Knighton, Wolfe, Ayers, and Vickerson now. Whoever comes in for us is just going to be in the rotation anyways. Even though Freeney, Osi, and Abraham are up there in age I believe Ayers has to make a turn in his career the next 2 years or he's done. Any of those guys are really needed for one year only. If Ayers don't pan out, Wolfe becomes full time DE and we grab a DT in the draft next year (or heck we may even do it this year)

Just never understood the Dumervil hype very much I guess. I still can't decide which is worse - if the Broncos actually bring this guy back at a large price or if he ends up with the Steelers or Ravens in a 3-4 and haunts the Broncos (because thats the scheme he really should be playing in anyways).
Well stated, I agree for the most part.

Let Steelers and Ravens play him in a 3-4 and let Peyton exploit him. Issue with Dumervil playing in a 3-4 is he can't cover and play in space so you can burn him when he has coverage responsibilities. In a 4-3 he gets washed out against the run. One dimensional player but above average at what he does well, rush the passer. But there are other options out there. I wish we had even pursued guys like Avril, Bennet or even Kruger earlier in this free agency process while they were out there.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:47 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Wonder how much it's for - for this year anyway.

Are the Broncos about $8M under the cap? I'm wondering if they give Dumerville $5M or so, will they be trading down in the draft to save cap money on draft picks?
D-Mac was thinking the new offer to Doom was in the 6M range. Again, they can recover a bit through structuring the deal with a large signing bonus, though they don't like to do that much anymore. They need around 4M to sign draftees and still money can be made available by cutting Mays and Kuper.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Commander Enigma

The Nuggets are, in some respect, a team that people who hate the NBA can love. They are succeeding in ways right now that fly right in the face of everything the league has come to represent under David Stern: A big stars, all PR, no integrity league. The Nuggets are doing it with no stars, no hype, all effort and team work.

Old
03-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman Jones View Post
The Nuggets are, in some respect, a team that people who hate the NBA can love. They are succeeding in ways right now that fly right in the face of everything the league has come to represent under David Stern: A big stars, all PR, no integrity league. The Nuggets are doing it with no stars, no hype, all effort and team work.
They're also a team that plays a fun, up-tempo game, instead of the unbearable brand of basketball teams like the San Antonio Spurs like to inflict upon the masses. I will be thrilled to death when that merry band of whiners and floppers finally hits the skids.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:24 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Wonder how much it's for - for this year anyway.

Are the Broncos about $8M under the cap? I'm wondering if they give Dumerville $5M or so, will they be trading down in the draft to save cap money on draft picks?
Yes, but Mays and Kuper are very good bets to be cut, which frees up another 5ish million, I think. Honestly, I really don't think the dead cap is going to be an issue this year. it's next that it hurts.

Old
03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Call me crazy but I never understood the hype about Dumervil anyways.

I'd take Freeney, Osi, Doom, or Abraham - they're all pretty much in the same category/level for me. Dumervil is elite pass rusher but can't play every down. All 3 of those other guys can. Also, you got Knighton, Wolfe, Ayers, and Vickerson now. Whoever comes in for us is just going to be in the rotation anyways. Even though Freeney, Osi, and Abraham are up there in age I believe Ayers has to make a turn in his career the next 2 years or he's done. Any of those guys are really needed for one year only. If Ayers don't pan out, Wolfe becomes full time DE and we grab a DT in the draft next year (or heck we may even do it this year)

Just never understood the Dumervil hype very much I guess. I still can't decide which is worse - if the Broncos actually bring this guy back at a large price or if he ends up with the Steelers or Ravens in a 3-4 and haunts the Broncos (because thats the scheme he really should be playing in anyways).
Dumervil has always racked up big numbers against inferior teams. I don't know how much of his peers' numbers are the same kind of thing, so I'll just let that slide.

What I do know is that the Del Rio defense has given Dumervil a much reduced pass rushing repitoire (basically only speed rushing), and larger run stopping/edge setting responsibility. He's honestly a bit miscast in that role, we're wasting him some. A lesser player could do quite well there.

Dumervil is younger and more versatile with less question marks than anyone else available, and we have the money to re-sign him. If we think he's the best fit in that role, sign him. My only question is if you could actually improve the defense by having one of Umienyora, Freeney, or Abraham in there -- Abraham in particular might give you more as a speed rusher and run stopper than Dumervil.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:01 PM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Dumervil has always racked up big numbers against inferior teams. I don't know how much of his peers' numbers are the same kind of thing, so I'll just let that slide.

What I do know is that the Del Rio defense has given Dumervil a much reduced pass rushing repitoire (basically only speed rushing), and larger run stopping/edge setting responsibility. He's honestly a bit miscast in that role, we're wasting him some. A lesser player could do quite well there.

Dumervil is younger and more versatile with less question marks than anyone else available, and we have the money to re-sign him. If we think he's the best fit in that role, sign him. My only question is if you could actually improve the defense by having one of Umienyora, Freeney, or Abraham in there -- Abraham in particular might give you more as a speed rusher and run stopper than Dumervil.
Broncos have scheduled visits for Freeney (tonight) & Abraham (tomorrow)... clock's ticking Elvis. I'm guessing nobody has matched or offered more to Dumervil yet or he'd be signed. Might be time for a change. All Elvis seems to do is bull rush anymore... heck Miller has learned to mix in a spin move into his rushes in the second half of the game.

Old
03-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Finnish logic:

Attendance in worthless regular season game for Jokerit (regular season title already clinched): 10984/13449
Attendance in 1st playoff game for Jokerit: 7274/13449

WTF?

Old
03-20-2013, 07:28 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:

Well, I'm not as down on Dumervil as some of you are, though I do acknowledge his being fairly average against the run. That said though, if Denver doesn't not resign him, they must find someone who can push the edge opposite Miller. Otherwise offenses will put two guys on Miller every time they drop back to pass, and Denver's secondary will pay the price.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Kershaw

I remember Rockies94 complaining about the Nuggets trading Melo!

The Knicks are the ones regretting that trade. Killed the chemistry of this team.

What a streak by Denver, amazing.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:54 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Yes, but Mays and Kuper are very good bets to be cut, which frees up another 5ish million, I think. Honestly, I really don't think the dead cap is going to be an issue this year. it's next that it hurts.
Too bad about Kuper. That guy was a good player - and a home-grown player - prior to that nasty injury.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

The Knicks are the ones regretting that trade. Killed the chemistry of this team.

Always been a big fan of Corey Brewer - I hope they don't trade him or let him go. He's finally hitting his stride here.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:48 AM
GamingGiant

Should the Broncos presue Urlacher? Could come cheap and provide energy to the D.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:58 AM
anleva

Quote:
Well, I'm not as down on Dumervil as some of you are, though I do acknowledge his being fairly average against the run. That said though, if Denver doesn't not resign him, they must find someone who can push the edge opposite Miller. Otherwise offenses will put two guys on Miller every time they drop back to pass, and Denver's secondary will pay the price.
Right which is why the Broncos are looking at Abraham, Freeney and others as options if Dumervil doesn't sign at here at a reduced salary.

Those other players are not the pass rusher Doom currently is, mostly because of age, but are not far behind. One could even argue someone like Abraham might be better and more complete player given his most recent season and his career performance, but the question with him and Freeney are if they are too old or have at least another season or two in the tank.

The issue is they can not afford to pay Dumervil 12M a year. He is an above average player but not a 12M a year player. The market is showing the Broncos are right on that. Doom's best deal was the one he neglected to jump on in time last Friday. Even the latest Broncos offer is better than what anyone else (Ravens) have offered to pay him. ***** or get off the pot Elvis. If you really want to be here take the deal, if not let's move on and grab Abraham, Freeney or Osi.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:09 AM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
Should the Broncos presue Urlacher? Could come cheap and provide energy to the D.
While I loved Urlacher in his prime he has lost too much. Lost speed and more prone to injury. Probably a 2-down player now which doesn't buy us anything as we really need a MLB who can be on the field for 3 downs. I'd rather they address MLB in the draft.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
absolutely not. did you watch him last year? he's done.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Too bad about Kuper. That guy was a good player - and a home-grown player - prior to that nasty injury.
yeah. I still think he might recover eventually, but you can't blame the Broncos for not being willing to take that risk.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:38 PM
anleva

DJ signs with the Bears. Marshall, Cutler and DJ can enjoy Rush Street together!

Old
03-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

Germany toying with Kazakhstan, 2-0.

Wouldn't mind getting one of the DE's that visited and maybe even Urlacher on a good deal if Doom goes elsewhere.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

OMG CC upset North Dakota yesterday in OT 4-3. What a run, but now we are playing Minnesota.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
DJ signs with the Bears. Marshall, Cutler and DJ can enjoy Rush Street together!
Somewhere Lovie Smith is breathing a sigh of relief.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Gallo for Melo, I'll draw up the paperwork

Old
03-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post
While I loved Urlacher in his prime he has lost too much. Lost speed and more prone to injury. Probably a 2-down player now which doesn't buy us anything as we really need a MLB who can be on the field for 3 downs. I'd rather they address MLB in the draft.
I would have loved over-the-hill Urlacher, but he might make Old Man Brooking look spry at this point.

I followed up Kawann Short, and Margus Hunt with Mike Gillisie, RB fro Florida in the mock draft.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:05 PM
anleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I would have loved over-the-hill Urlacher, but he might make Old Man Brooking look spry at this point.

I followed up Kawann Short, and Margus Hunt with Mike Gillisie, RB fro Florida in the mock draft.
I like it. DT, DE, RB. Margus Hunt is so damn intriguing. Diamond in the rough.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Georgetown just $*%(@( killed my bracket.

Why didn't we do a bracket on here? Next year I guess.

Closed Thread