HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 04:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post

Bryz is not an elite goalie. I don't think he ever was. I still don't understand why the Flyers got him except they felt the pressure to get an elite goaltender because of the past failures.

I think we can chalk this up to a mistake with good intentions by Snider and Holmgren. They should have been more patient with Bob.
They should have let Bob play out the Buffalo series back a few years ago. Anyway...

I agree with what you say. I think the team HAD to get Bryzgalov, because they tried every other option over the previous 10-15 years. The only option left was to acquire a legitimate (supposedly) starter in his prime. Any other attempt would have been met with attacks by both the media and the fans.

So the question now is if they buy him out, and if they do, who would replace him?

Old
03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Anybody but Boucher.

I'd take MFL over this guy and Boosh.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
They should have let Bob play out the Buffalo series back a few years ago. Anyway...

I agree with what you say. I think the team HAD to get Bryzgalov, because they tried every other option over the previous 10-15 years. The only option left was to acquire a legitimate (supposedly) starter in his prime. Any other attempt would have been met with attacks by both the media and the fans.

So the question now is if they buy him out, and if they do, who would replace him?
Well they have this summer and all of next year to scan the market for a goalie. I think there's a good chance they buy him out next summer regardless of what happens next year.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:23 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Ooh! Link the Ottawa game too! And then just.. forget about the other 28 games.. yeah.
he's had a bad season overall but give him credit when it's due. he had a really good start to the season (first 12 games) and a couple since then. again his play overall is unacceptable but the whole "forget about the other 28 games" is just non-sense.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
gto64dr

I don't get the hate on Boucher. Wasn't it his shootout win in 2010 that propelled us into the playoffs and didn't he win the series against the Devils that carried us into the Montreal series during which time he got hurt and Leighton had to take over. I also recall his rookie season when he took us to the conference finals.

His lifetime GAA and Save% is better than Bryz's and his Playoff record is better than Bryz's. Everyone says Bryz benefited from his previous teams defensive style. Boucher set the all time consecutive shutout record while playing for a poor Coyote team.

Considering the teams Boosh played for between his stints with the Flyers and the good teams Bryz played for it seems to me that Boucher is much better than Bryz.

Now, don't take that to mean I think Boosh can take us to the promised land, because I feel his best days are behind him. But given some time to warm to the task I'd rather take my chances with Boosh than Bryz.

But as typical, if Boosh got a start and didn't give instantaneous results he'd get benched immediately because for some reason, money, we're going to ride this Bryz train right off the cliff.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Flyer Mike

I feel a little bit bad for Boosh now. He down in the minors when he would be playing for Carolina for sure now that they are hurting for healthy goaltenders.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:12 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Anybody but Boucher.

I'd take MFL over this guy and Boosh.
Hell no. I take Boosh over MFL every day of the week, each week of the month, every month of the year. Of course, both of them are no longer starting caliber goalies anymore, well at least in the case of Boosh. MFL on the other hand, I still wonder how he has an NHL contract.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
I don't get the hate on Boucher. Wasn't it his shootout win in 2010 that propelled us into the playoffs and didn't he win the series against the Devils that carried us into the Montreal series during which time he got hurt and Leighton had to take over. I also recall his rookie season when he took us to the conference finals.

His lifetime GAA and Save% is better than Bryz's and his Playoff record is better than Bryz's. Everyone says Bryz benefited from his previous teams defensive style. Boucher set the all time consecutive shutout record while playing for a poor Coyote team.

Considering the teams Boosh played for between his stints with the Flyers and the good teams Bryz played for it seems to me that Boucher is much better than Bryz.

Now, don't take that to mean I think Boosh can take us to the promised land, because I feel his best days are behind him. But given some time to warm to the task I'd rather take my chances with Boosh than Bryz.

But as typical, if Boosh got a start and didn't give instantaneous results he'd get benched immediately because for some reason, money, we're going to ride this Bryz train right off the cliff.
I don't get it either. He really should have got the start in that Florida game the day after the wild 6-5 win over Pittsburgh.

I was looking at Boyd Gordon's faceoff stats today and noticed that Mike Smith is having a pretty bad season. His stats are about the same as Bryzgalov's (2.83, .901) and surely Phoenix can't have had as many defensive breakdowns this year as the Flyers have.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I don't get it either. He really should have got the start in that Florida game the day after the wild 6-5 win over Pittsburgh.

I was looking at Boyd Gordon's faceoff stats today and noticed that Mike Smith is having a pretty bad season. His stats are about the same as Bryzgalov's (2.83, .901) and surely Phoenix can't have had as many defensive breakdowns this year as the Flyers have.
I think the only person here who has ever confused Mike Smith as being a good goalie was BP1974.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:26 PM
FlyingPhilly

Mike Smith isn't a good goalie. His stats last year got inflated playing in a goalie friendly system. Ironic it is the same with Bryz.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Devastate

So some people on the main board think Bob may get some hart votes if he keeps this up. Beef might actually kill himself if that happens

Old
03-23-2013, 12:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
So some people on the main board think Bob may get some hart votes if he keeps this up. Beef might actually kill himself if that happens
Bob may be doing well there, but honestly, I still don't think he could of saved this season. We have had 18 games where we've scored 2 or less. Even though they have seen way more shots per game than the Flyers, they also have given the fewest turnovers, much better face-off percentage, have been down a man 99 times, while the Flyers have had 123 times. Bob could have been better than Bryz this season with the Flyers, but considering how many stupid penalties we take, how many giveaways we have and extremely inconsistent play by every player and position this year. What I'm getting at, if we had Bob this year, we would probably be more of an average team, not a good team. We'd probably be 15-14-1 with Bob as well here, but if we didn't get to the playoffs, we'd have a pretty middling draft position.

I feel that believing that immediately taking in a goalie that is doing spectacular on another team and implement them right into how we're playing now, he will not do anywhere near as well as the last team he was on.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Might? I already have two nooses around my neck, just to be sure.

I will seriously be frustrated as all hell if he gets a Vezina nomination or Hart votes. I thought it was pretty obvious from the start that Bob had amazing talent and just needed experience and time. This is the Flyers though, so players only have 2ish seasons to develop before they're fired out of town for whatever return.

03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Bob may be doing well there, but honestly, I still don't think he could of saved this season.
We have had 18 games where we've scored 2 or less. Even though they have seen way more shots per game than the Flyers, they also have given the fewest turnovers, much better face-off percentage, have been down a man 99 times, while the Flyers have had 123 times.
Bob yanked after 4 goals in 1st ten minutes

Old
03-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
And despite that, his stats will still annhilate Bryzgalov's. We've said it a million times, yet you still refuse to understand: Every goalie has bad games. THe problem is, Bryz has more bad games than most other goalies.

As for CBJ having less turnovers, I wish Time of Possession was still a stat. In the Columbus games I've watched they barely get a chance to turn it over because the other team will control play for long periods of time.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:46 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Saw that. Ouch.

Old
03-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

which begs the questions: if Bob is such a stud #1 ELITE goalie, why did he get yanked from the playoffs 2 years ago ? why did his numbers stink last year while a Flyer ?

could it have been the Flyers turnovers, awful team D & frequent lack of hustle ??

Bob is a beast, obviously ..... but had awful numbers as a Flyer ....how can that be ?

Old
03-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
which begs the questions: if Bob is such a stud #1 ELITE goalie, why did he get yanked from the playoffs 2 years ago ? why did his numbers stink last year while a Flyer ?

could it have been the Flyers turnovers, awful team D & frequent lack of hustle ??

Bob is a beast, obviously ..... but had awful numbers as a Flyer ....how can that be ?
He got yanked from the playoffs due to poor coaching decisions. He should have been reassured by Lavi and told to play through it. Instead, he gets immdiately yanked. It was dumb. It was obviously dumb then, it's still dumb in hindsight.

His numbers were pretty good for a while. But guess what? He's YOUNG. Young goalies are inexperienced and often struggle to make it through a whole season. Combine that with infrequent starts, and it happens. Bob needs developing, then as well as now.

You continue to call the team D awful, which continues to be baffling since the eyeball test and relevant statistics peg them at least above average. So it's not that. What it PROBABLY is, is organizational impatience led to a knee-jerk signing of a goalie to a big contract that made it prohibitive to keep Bob and develop him. What it PROBABLY is, is the decision to sign Leighton to be the starter (which was dumb from the start) led to the complete botch of his development in Philly, since he couldn't spend time in the AHL.

Nice try with spinning this to be some absolvement of Bryz, but it isn't working. The team D remains better than you say. It's also intriguing that you call Bob's numbers as a Flyer awful. Because, guess what? They're better than Bryzgalov's.

Bryz has 87 games as a Flyer. Bob had 83. Bryz's cumulative save percentage is .906. Bob's is .909, though I suspect stat sites would possibly round it up to .910 based on what I saw doing my own math.

So Bob's awful numbers with the Flyers are better than Bryz's thus far. At least you finally admit Bryz is worse than awful.

It's a shame you'll probably ignore this as usual.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Ryker

Quote:

It's because if something is true now (and I'm not saying it is), then it must've always been so, right?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
It's because if something is true now (and I'm not saying it is), then it must've always been so, right?
if you want to speak in riddles, so be it. maybe you can come right out and say what you are trying to say ......

=========================================
Bob leaves the Flyers & goes to CBJ and suddenly goes from .899 / 3.02 in 30 games to .932 / 2.00 in 22 games for CBJ.

why did a .932 / 2.00 goalie who played 30 games last year, stink & have such awful numbers ?

i'd like to see what answers are given.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
if you want to speak in riddles, so be it. maybe you can come right out and say what you are trying to say ......

Bob leaves the Flyers & goes to CBJ and suddenly goes from .899 / 3.02 in 30 games to .932 / 2.00 in 22 games for CBJ.

why did a .932 / 2.00 goalie who played 30 games last year, stink & have such awful numbers ?

Those 22 games have come mostly as consistent starts. The 30 games, aside from one stretch, came as a backup. It's difficult for a young guy with little NHL or even NA experience to hop right into a backup role and excel.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:18 PM
Ryker

Quote:

Because he wasn't as good as he is now. Yeah, that really was a tough riddle to solve.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Because he wasn't as good as he is now. Yeah, that really was a tough riddle to solve.
Young goalies are capable of developing and improving? You don't say.

Closed Thread