HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Doug Weight #39

Old
03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
abootzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I think the standards for the rafters should be whether the player makes the hall of fame. What we can say about Weight is that he was the most significant Oiler in the post dynasty era. Oilers history can look something like this:

Dynasty Years

Gretzky Era
79-88
Messier Era
88-91

Mediocre Years and Cup Run

Weight Era
92-01
Smyth Era*
01-07

Rebuilding Years

Hemsky Era
07-10
Hall Era
10-Present

*05-06 was the year of Pronger
Seeing that you don't include the WHA years ('72-'79), does that mean that Al Hamilton's jersey # should be unretired and/or not considered for honour? Should Bill Hunter remain publicly unrecognized despite his essential contribution to the Oilers franchise?

Again, I think some sort of prominently displayed honour board, banner or wall of honour would cover those who aren't rafter-worthy.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
You've never seen Anderson play in the playoffs have you.

Anderson > Weight by a landslide.
I have. You never watched Weight control the pace of an entire game, did you? Anderson was more effective in the playoffs, although Weight was pretty good in the playoffs as well on a far inferior team, so its not really fair to compare. Weight was way better in the regular season.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
sailorjerry96

If we had drafted lets say Seguin... #4 would still be in the rafters, and he is not in the HHOF

sailorjerry96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:18 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
If we had drafted lets say Seguin... #4 would still be in the rafters, and he is not in the HHOF
No, it wouldn't.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:26 PM
OilCanada92

Gotta be a Hall of Famer to see the rafters. Oilers rules.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
Only way 4 is up there is if the Hall of Famer's see lowes respect to a team worth plus his stats to go up there. But I seriously doubt it.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:33 PM
sailorjerry96

ah. i thought it was retired. but i guess not

sailorjerry96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I have. You never watched Weight control the pace of an entire game, did you? Anderson was more effective in the playoffs, although Weight was pretty good in the playoffs as well on a far inferior team, so its not really fair to compare. Weight was way better in the regular season.
Definitely not denying Weight was overall better in the regular season. Heck, anyone would tell you there's no way Anderson gets into the HHOF based on his regular season play.

Anderson was one of the top playoff performers of all time, and that's soley the reason he's in, and that's why he's in the rafters.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

No, his #39 is not going into the rafters. Not even close to having that honour. We're not the Canucks, we have a higher standard to getting your number up there.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:41 PM
IButtersI

Quote:
Yes. He was a better player than Glenn Anderson (I know, blasphemy), but won't get in the Hall of Fame I'm sure. Even though he arguably should.
I love Dough Weight but if he is in the Hall of Fame. You might as well open it up to a hundred other people.

IButtersI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Doug Weight was my all time favorite Oiler growing up and probably my favorite oiler of all time.

That said, I don't see his number being retired. Maybe honoured , but not retired.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Doug Weight was my all time favorite Oiler growing up and probably my favorite oiler of all time.

That said, I don't see his number being retired. Maybe honoured , but not retired.
What would you do to honour him?

On ice ceremony before the next Canes game? Give him a painting?

I'm curious to know what you, or anyone once, thinks would be an acceptable mention of honouring him.

The only guideline I'd like to see, keep the ceremony shorter than 10 minutes. I hate when things like that just drag on.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Again, I think some sort of prominently displayed honour board, banner or wall of honour would cover those who aren't rafter-worthy.
I have it on high authority within the org that the first year in the new arena will be absolutely filled with player tributes and the org's version of a wall of honour. They've been holding back for the past several years since they always knew they'd be leaving the old barn.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

I remember Weight being offered $6.7M/year in 2001 to stay with the Oilers, getting $8M or $9M/year instead with St. Louis, and commenting that his family's future was now "secure".

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:58 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
As much as I love Doug Weight, no I would not send his 39 to the rafters. What I would be in favor of is something similar to the Yankees Monument Park.

03-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Nugent-Hopkins, Paajarvi, and Gagner may all surpass Doug Weight as players in their own right, and I think we could easily see a scenario where some of their numbers get retired in the distant future. In my opinion, you have to win something to merit getting your number retired or else be a uniquely special player. I don't see Weight being that caliber of player, although he is the closest the team has come to that type of player in many years.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:06 AM
#ualberta

Lets take a look at the oilers rafters
Al Hamilton
Paul Coffey
Glenn Anderson
Mark Messier
Jari Kurri
Grant Fuhr
Wayne Gretzky
Its a pretty exclusive group, doug weight was awesome but we never won a cup with him i know its not his fault but i just don't think he makes that list.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes. He was a better player than Glenn Anderson (I know, blasphemy), but won't get in the Hall of Fame I'm sure. Even though he arguably should.
Spoken like somebody who never saw Anderson in the playoffs or when a game was on the line.

I really loved Weight and yes he could control a game. Weight and guys like Smyth should get a spot in a corridor of honour or something in the new arena. He won't be a HHOFer and that is the criteria. Heck, Lowe isn't even in the rafters yet.

Last edited by Seedling: 03-23-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Definitely not denying Weight was overall better in the regular season. Heck, anyone would tell you there's no way Anderson gets into the HHOF based on his regular season play.

Anderson was one of the top playoff performers of all time, and that's soley the reason he's in, and that's why he's in the rafters.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=67

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Spoken like somebody who never saw Anderson in the playoffs or when a game was on the line.

I really loved Weight and yes he could control a game. Weight and guys like Smyth should get a spot in a corridor of honour or something in the new arena. He won't be a HHOFer and that is the criteria. Heck, Lowe isn't even in the rafters yet.
Lowe certainly deserves it over Weight, and Lowe will undoubtedly receive the honour when he retires from the organization.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The last 100pt man for Oil
Yup. And it's going to be a long, long time before we see another 100 point man.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Nugent-Hopkins, Paajarvi, and Gagner may all surpass Doug Weight as players in their own right, and I think we could easily see a scenario where some of their numbers get retired in the distant future. In my opinion, you have to win something to merit getting your number retired or else be a uniquely special player. I don't see Weight being that caliber of player, although he is the closest the team has come to that type of player in many years.
Doubtful.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:19 AM
Baggers

If the Oilers had a "ring of honour," he would be in for sure, but as others have said, he wasn't important enough to have his number retired.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 03:36 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Yeah, like it was his choice.
He could have pulled a Bergeron and took out a teammate.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Black Gold Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Nugent-Hopkins, Paajarvi, and Gagner may all surpass Doug Weight as players in their own right, and I think we could easily see a scenario where some of their numbers get retired in the distant future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Doubtful.
To be fair, the future isn't written in stone. This season, Hall is already putting up Weight-like numbers at the age of 21. Gagner is now also putting up Weight-like numbers at the same age as when Weight put up his first 70+ point season. Eberle has already finished on the leaderboard last season (15th in both goals and points), the first Oiler to finish top-20 in scoring since Weight himself. I can see our first overalls plus Gagner and Eberle possibly having more career points and greater career longevity.

Weight had an impressive (albeit not spectacular) prime as an Oiler. He broke 80 points three times, was top 20 in points those same years (11th, 20th, and 8th... guess which years), and was 21st in two more times when he just missed being on the leaderboard. He was top 10 in assists four times (5th, 5th, 8th, and 4th) as an Oiler (two more times as a Blue). Over all of his prime years, he was 14th in points and 5th in assists (three-way tie for 15th in points per game at 1.03, 8th in assists per game).

That's pretty tough for anyone to match over a several-year span, but it's not impossible. In another thread, I bet that Hall will finish top 10 in scoring before the age of 25, so I might as well bet that Hall in his prime will be better than 15th in points over a six-year stretch, like Weight.

Last edited by Black Gold Extractor: 03-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Black Gold Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote