HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Halpern (Claimed by Montreal)

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
I feel bad for fans who watch, watch, and watch, yet never seem to pick up on fundamental basics of the game. Clearly, anyone who is going to **** on Halpern's performance or try to implicate him in team wide, systemic issues that Halpern has hardly anything to do with falls into the aforementioned category.

Not every guy on your team has to be a scorer, and the Rangers wouldn't have a problem scoring if Richards and Gaborik were playing up to expectations. Nor would secondary scoring be an issue if losers like Boyle, Pyatt, Asham, Gilroy, etc. contributed. None of them do, they're all worse defensively than Halpern, and they all make more money.

Anyone who thinks defense is primarily about blocking shots or accumulating hits has a lot to learn about the sport.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I feel bad for fans who watch, watch, and watch, yet never seem to pick up on fundamental basics of the game. Clearly, anyone who is going to **** on Halpern's performance or try to implicate him in team wide, systemic issues that Halpern has hardly anything to do with falls into the aforementioned category.

Not every guy on your team has to be a scorer, and the Rangers wouldn't have a problem scoring if Richards and Gaborik were playing up to expectations. Nor would secondary scoring be an issue if losers like Boyle, Pyatt, Asham, Gilroy, etc. contributed. None of them do, they're all worse defensively than Halpern, and they all make more money.

Anyone who thinks defense is primarily about blocking shots or accumulating hits has a lot to learn about the sport.
Does that apply to the Rangers management too? Because they placed Halpern on waivers today.

Does it apply to every other NHL team's management too? Because there didn't seem to be a lot of interest in him this summer.

Do you look down on them as well? I suppose they, too, can only wish to be on your level.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
03-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Uhh, adding MSL and Dan Boyle probably WOULD vault us to the top.
Just like getting Richards was going to get us over the top.

Not sure if u realize but the Rangers always collect big name aging "stars" and how has that worked out for us?

Old
03-22-2013, 07:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Just like getting Richards was going to get us over the top.

Not sure if u realize but the Rangers always collect big name aging "stars" and how has that worked out for us?
It got us to the ECF last year.

MSL and his 40 points with Boyle and his 13 from the blueline would have this team in a different spot right now.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:11 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

I hate when people post things like this. I can still respect someone's opinion and disagree with what they're saying.

You want to know something about all the guys you listed, they also are all significantly younger than Halpern (sans Asham who is clearly on the roster for other reasons than providing offense).

They all have higher ceilings. Boyle has proven he can be effective in Torts' system, hence the reason for not shipping him out after a 25 game stretch.

Halpern is gone because, while his defense was admittedly fine, he brought absolutely nothing else. He has absolutely no strength on the puck, he can't throw his body around and he sure as hell can't score anymore. At nearly 37 years old he is not a long term solution on this team and clearly, with the ineffectiveness of our 4th line, a short term solution either.

He is dead weight. Dead weight that this team got rid of. It's about time guys are being told to pack up. This team is slumping. We have no secondary scoring whatsoever. We need to bring in guys who can help. Maybe that's kreider, maybe it's someone else from the minors, maybe it's via a trade, i don't know.

What i do know, is jeff halpern brought nothing more than defensive awareness to this team. At this time, it's not enough. His good years are behind him. He seemed like a class act while he was here, i know he played hard, so i wish him the best of luck. But it's time to move on. It's time to start changing our bottom six, becuase it hasn't worked at all this year. Halpern isn't the end all be all, but it's a start. A guy who has 1 assist in 30 games getting 9 minutes a night, doesn't deserve to be here. And if the rangers put him on waivers, i trust that they agree.

It's so arrogant for anyone to think they know better or can do a better job than people who's entire life is hockey. I don't agree with every Sather move or Rangers move, that's for sure, but you have no clue what Halpern is thought of. We don't know if he didn't like it here. We don't know if he was ****** in the lockeroom. All we do know, is the production wasn't there. At the end of the day, that's what i have to go off of. I have no ill feelings towards this. All i can so is i hope it's just the beginning because this bottom 6 needs an overhaul.

Or maybe, we should just stand pat and keep losing. If i can take 8 years without the playoffs in a row, what's another.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Does that apply to the Rangers management too? Because they placed Halpern on waivers today.

Does it apply to every other NHL team's management too? Because there didn't seem to be a lot of interest in him this summer.

Do you look down on them as well? I suppose they, too, can only wish to be on your level.
History has done a better job than I can attempt to do of proving that some people working in the highest management an scouting positions in the NHL, not to mention other pro sports, are totally incompetent, and continue to find work, despite repeated failure. History has also proven that the Rangers are entirely capable of being dreadful at evaluating talent. A recent example: Fedotenko was clearly the best player on that line, and
Brian Boyle was clearly the worst. They kept Boyle, and overpaid him.

As for Halpern, he was quoted as saying he had a couple of offers besides NYR. Plus, not every team needed a Halpern; they already had players to fill that role. This team didn't. Now they'll be paying Boyle to fill that role. He makes more and does a worse job.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Rangers should have waived Brian Boyle instead. Makes more money and is worse than Halpern.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Nobody is happy about it. We don't care because it is the equivalent of absolutely nothing happening.
Funny how Orr is playing every game for the Leafs who r a better team than ours...

Old
03-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Orr Nightmare

[QUOTE=NYR Sting;62191465]I feel bad for fans who watch, watch, and watch, yet never seem to pick up on fundamental basics of the game. Clearly, anyone who is going to **** on Halpern's performance or try to implicate him in team wide, systemic issues that Halpern has hardly anything to do with falls into the aforementioned category.

Anyone who thinks defense is primarily about blocking shots or accumulating hits has a lot to learn about the sport.[/QU

Could it be that no one in the Rangers organization knows what they r doing yet u do

Old
03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

MSL and his 40 points with Boyle and his 13 from the blueline would have this team in a different spot right now.
We would be the smallest softest team in the league, the Habs tried that for several and their new GM brought in more muscle and grit, how r they doing this year

Old
03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

We would be the oldest softest smallest team in hockey. The Habs tried that for the last few years...new GM comes in and add grit and size, where r they now?

Old
03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Kershaw

Jeff Halpern, a guy who's been on the ice for 2 goals for and 14 goals against being waived rightfully acclaims management as idiots? He's nothing special, a dime-a-dozen player who did nothing here.

Halpern had an on-ice save percentage of .930 at ES, which is very unsustainable. His statline would look much worse than a guy like Boyle who had .916 if their save percentages switched up. Halpern also had - Corsi rating, negative RelCorsi. The only good thing he was at was taking draws in his own end, that's it. The true epitome of a guy on his last legs. He's done in my opinion.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Jeff Halpern, a guy who's been on the ice for 2 goals for and 14 goals against being waived rightfully acclaims management as idiots? He's nothing special, a dime-a-dozen player who did nothing here.

Halpern had an on-ice save percentage of .930 at ES, which is very unsustainable. His statline would look much worse than a guy like Boyle who had .916 if their save percentages switched up. Halpern also had - Corsi rating, negative RelCorsi. The only good thing he was at was taking draws in his own end, that's it. The true epitome of a guy on his last legs. He's done in my opinion.
I'd argue that a .930 save percentage is sustainable on a Lundqvist backstopped team. His ES Sv% the past two seasons have been .930 and .933. But the point still remains relative to Boyle.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:53 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I hate to toot my own horn,but early on when lots were drinking Halpern kool aid,I told anyone who would listen here he wont even last the whole year on our roster.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I hate to toot my own horn,but early on when lots were drinking Halpern kool aid,I told anyone who would listen here he wont even last the whole year on our roster.
You shouldn't be happy because it's a stupid decision.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

What happens if no one claims him? Does it still free up a contract?

Old
03-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
What happens if no one claims him? Does it still free up a contract?
Nope.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:59 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I disagree.

Quote:
You shouldn't be happy because it's a stupid decision.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Green Blob*

Hopefully someone claims him. Hes a dime a dozen player at this point but at least some of the other dimes can help out on offense a little bit. If he's claimed I would assume Zuke gets signed by the next day.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

I just hope this move means Boyle is now going to be the 4th line center.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Who will be the 3rd line center? JT Miller? lol

Old
03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

Quote:
better than boyle

Old
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Should be.

He's looked most comfortable at center. He was at his best when he was with Kreider/Callahan and Gaborik/Callahan.

03-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
better than boyle
Possibly, but then again, that's not saying much.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
i hope he gets waived next... he is a waste of roster spot.. he slows down this team big time.

Closed Thread