HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are habs fans so pessimistic/critical??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
  #26
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
People often find pointing out flaws in coaching or flaws in certain players performance to be whining. It's a discussion board and there are always things to improve even when you're 20-5-5. It comes from passion and love of the sport. I'd rather discuss the game with someone who I disagree with and is passionate about the game than some suit at the ACC who applauds everything.
Unfortunately for a lot of people, being passionate doesn't mean you have a clue about what you are talking about.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:39 PM
  #27
The Russian General
Força Portugal
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MTL
Posts: 11,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I'll stand in a booth and allow you to insult me for 82 nights each year in various cities for 1M+.
You wouldn't be working, you'd just be standing there. You'd be even more overpaid than Scott Gomez.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:43 PM
  #28
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed1 View Post
Two Words: We Care.
If there was a Quebec still around, I'm pretty sure a lot of the critical people here would have switched in sweaters last season.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:45 PM
  #29
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
People often find pointing out flaws in coaching or flaws in certain players performance to be whining. It's a discussion board and there are always things to improve even when you're 20-5-5. It comes from passion and love of the sport. I'd rather discuss the game with someone who I disagree with and is passionate about the game than some suit at the ACC who applauds everything.
They applaud at the ACC now?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:04 PM
  #30
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,656
vCash: 500
Good point. I caught it and got too lazy to edit.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:05 PM
  #31
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Unfortunately for a lot of people, being passionate doesn't mean you have a clue about what you are talking about.
Most posters who frequent these boards have a decent understanding of the game. I don't always agree, but respect their opinions for the most part.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:17 PM
  #32
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,617
vCash: 500
Hab fans have been critical because... there was lots to be critical about.

We've had almost two decades of incompetent management and stupid moves. No point in trying to sugarcoat it, it's been hard to watch. Now we finally have some youth to build around and they're delivering. It's sooner than I expected it to be but so much the better. We're a good team now, this isn't a fluke. Maybe we won't be as good as we are now next year but development isn't always linear.

Bottom line is that we've taken a huge step forward with guys like Price, Subban, Max, Galchenyuk and Gallagher getting better and better. I'm excited about the future and for the first time in a long time I can see cups on the horizon. It won't be easy but at least we'll have a shot.

All I can say is... Thank God for Trevor Timmins.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:43 PM
  #33
impudent_lowlife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Because when Bouillon has a brain-fart like he did on Tavares' goal, you'd expect him to be benched for a few shifts at least. But not Therrien's BFF. Yet Subban is publicly chastised for a ref's mistake.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:48 PM
  #34
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
i find it ironic that for as long as i can remember the fans are our teams worst enemy. i remember back in '93 how hard the fans were on roy and when he grabs the cup it almost seems like he curses the fans out [my speculation on his facial features as he yells something]. the year theo wins vezina i remember he was having average game and in a quiet moment a fan yelling down at him. its like WTF???

I was on another site and they were asking about what disapoints them this year?? really?? disappoints?? we are closer to 1st then 8th and they want to know whats disappointing??
For me I am sick of the mediocre teams we have had. I grew up through the glory of the late 60s and all through the glory of the 70s. I demand excellence and this team for as long as I can remember like back to the late 80s has not shown it from top to bottom.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:57 PM
  #35
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'm from that era as are all my friends. We've got almost 10 Stanley Cups in our first-hand memories. Yeah, it was cool, but honestly, I don't know anyone of my age whose expectations are stuck back then.

One of the best times I ever had as a Habs fan was in 2010, precisely because it was totally unexpected. One of the greatest rides of my life as a hockey fan!
I have 9 cups to remember fondly and I do long for a winner I hate the oh we made the playoffs that is good enough generation. I want to see cups lots and lots of cups for me anything short is a failure. My entire family is the same way and we are all HABS fans parents aunts uncles cousins etc we are all the same way. Is it unrealistic maybe but even through my playing time if guys didn't play to win they heard about it from coaches parents and myself. As a goalie if I let in a bad goal in a game and felt it hurt my team I took myself out of the game my coach didn't even have to. He would ask what I was doing and I would flat out tell him I am not prepared to hurt this team tonight and that last goal did.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:03 PM
  #36
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,697
vCash: 500
Excellent thread.

Love the calm and reasoned analysis.

The only issue that may bother me is the fans who only seem happy when they can complain.

No doubt about it though, a Hab cup run is freakin magical... hope we get to experience one.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
  #37
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Because when Bouillon has a brain-fart like he did on Tavares' goal, you'd expect him to be benched for a few shifts at least. But not Therrien's BFF. Yet Subban is publicly chastised for a ref's mistake.
yeah sure #FireTherrien, #BringBackEnglishSpeakingCunneyworth

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:05 PM
  #38
Alfie Turcotte
Registered User
 
Alfie Turcotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
1- 110%, Réjean Tremblay, Bertrand Raymond, François Gagnon and Anti chambre heritage
2- ex nordiques fans
3-Halakians

Haters gonna hate


Last edited by Alfie Turcotte: 03-22-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: ortho
Alfie Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:09 PM
  #39
impudent_lowlife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
yeah sure #FireTherrien, #BringBackEnglishSpeakingCunneyworth
No need to fire Therrien for his Bouillon Bias. Just fix it.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:14 PM
  #40
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
No need to fire Therrien for his Bouillon Bias. Just fix it.
Bouillon played 14mins last game, Subban played 24mins. I don't what else you could ask for.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:17 PM
  #41
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
My simple take starts with Irving - instead of handing the reins to Scotty they went with a guy that would end up in jail.

Frank J. Selke 1946 1964
Sam Pollock 1964 1978
Irving Grundman 1978 1983
Serge Savard 1983 1995
Rejean Houle 1995 2000
Andre Savard 2000 2003
Bob Gainey 2003 2010
Pierre Gauthier 2010 March 29, 2012
Marc Bergevin May 2, 2012

It starts with the GM last decent (not great) one was Serge

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:20 PM
  #42
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,871
vCash: 500
Too many people here are fans of certain players before they are fans of the Canadiens.

This phenomenon leads to an inordinate amount of whining. Despite the Habs winning a game, there are complaints because "Player X" only got so much ice time while another Habs player got more. In their minds, the coach is doing an injustice to their favorite player.......even if the Habs win.

I have posted on NFL and MLB message boards. This board is the only place that I see this much of player before team so often.

Edit.......the Boullion bash post above is a great example of what I was referring to.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:27 PM
  #43
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
My simple take starts with Irving - instead of handing the reins to Scotty they went with a guy that would end up in jail.

Frank J. Selke 1946 1964
Sam Pollock 1964 1978
Irving Grundman 1978 1983
Serge Savard 1983 1995
Rejean Houle 1995 2000
Andre Savard 2000 2003
Bob Gainey 2003 2010
Pierre Gauthier 2010 March 29, 2012
Marc Bergevin May 2, 2012

It starts with the GM last decent (not great) one was Serge
Rejean Houle definetely is the main reason why habs fans have become so critical. Most people here (including me) grew up watching the team barely able to clinch a playoff spot, so I think for a lot of people there's an inferiority complex attached to the team.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:31 PM
  #44
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I have 9 cups to remember fondly and I do long for a winner I hate the oh we made the playoffs that is good enough generation. I want to see cups lots and lots of cups for me anything short is a failure. My entire family is the same way and we are all HABS fans parents aunts uncles cousins etc we are all the same way. Is it unrealistic maybe but even through my playing time if guys didn't play to win they heard about it from coaches parents and myself. As a goalie if I let in a bad goal in a game and felt it hurt my team I took myself out of the game my coach didn't even have to. He would ask what I was doing and I would flat out tell him I am not prepared to hurt this team tonight and that last goal did.
Hey, didn't realize we were about the same age! Past our bedtimes and still posting - we rock!

Wow - you've got a harder-core background than I do! I have two brothers, but I was the only one who played hockey growing up. My Dad drove me to the games but was pretty laid back about whether we won or lost. I watched the 1969 SCF on a tiny black & white TV, all alone in my Uncle's room while my relatives chatted elsewhere. I jumped up and down when the Habs beat St-Louis for the Cup, but nobody heard me or cared. Don't know what it was that hooked me - maybe it was that HNIC theme song - but it certainly wasn't family.

But as fondly as I remember those years of winning Cup after Cup, as much as I venerate the Beliveaus and Lafleurs and Bowmans and Pollocks and Robinsons and Savards and Mahovlichs, I don't really feel any connection between those guys and the guys who call themselves Habs today. The jersey is as familiar as my own skin (literally, in one embarrassing episode when I was 9), but I don't expect my team of today to be a dynasty anymore than I expect my scalp of today to have long, thick hair. Times change, teams change, the game changes, just as my expectations of life, friends and favourite sports team have changed. If the Habs win the Cup, I'll be at the parade with my wife and kids and camera, yelling at my two sons to CARVE THIS INTO YOUR MEMORY!, because these special moments don't happen often. Which is exactly why they're special. But until then I'm just enjoying the ride. I don't see it as a failure if we don't win the Cup, I just see it as part of really long foreplay.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:32 PM
  #45
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Rejean Houle definetely is the main reason why habs fans have become so critical. Most people here (including me) grew up watching the team barely able to clinch a playoff spot, so I think for a lot of people there's an inferiority complex attached to the team.
Thank god I was born early in the Pollack era and was alive for 10 cups. Partied like a rock star for both the 86 and 93 cups. Was devastated by the 89 loss. Now, I'm ever so thankful that my son only really got hockey fully on his radar this year.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
  #46
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
i find it ironic that for as long as i can remember the fans are our teams worst enemy. i remember back in '93 how hard the fans were on roy and when he grabs the cup it almost seems like he curses the fans out [my speculation on his facial features as he yells something]. the year theo wins vezina i remember he was having average game and in a quiet moment a fan yelling down at him. its like WTF???

I was on another site and they were asking about what disapoints them this year?? really?? disappoints?? we are closer to 1st then 8th and they want to know whats disappointing??
speaking for myself its this reason

we have won nothing in 20 years , and I am tired of seeing this team bandaid , patch , their way year in and year out and most people are overhyping the team and or prospects

I remember a few years ago Gainey lets his entire team go to UFA , we didnt take advantage of any trades at the deadline

then we sign a bunch of midgets and players past their prime , we have a FLUKE
playoff run and everyone is excited how great we are , when in reality the year after most teams get back to where they should be and thats exactly what happened .

even this year , we go from last to first in this shortened year . We are much improved but lets be realistic , are we really going to win the cup ?

for years we traded kid after kid and watch them play better elsewhere with little or nothing to show for them in trades

so far the Bergy era has gone well , I still question some of his signings

all I want to see now is Galchy and Eller emerge come next season upfront and with Pk , Max, Gallagher and Price we have the makings of a solid core down the road

I just want to win effen cup , nothing more nothing less folks

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:41 PM
  #47
dreamingofdrouin*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD HABSFAN View Post
i find it ironic that for as long as i can remember the fans are our teams worst enemy. i remember back in '93 how hard the fans were on roy and when he grabs the cup it almost seems like he curses the fans out [my speculation on his facial features as he yells something]. the year theo wins vezina i remember he was having average game and in a quiet moment a fan yelling down at him. its like WTF???

I was on another site and they were asking about what disapoints them this year?? really?? disappoints?? we are closer to 1st then 8th and they want to know whats disappointing??
Our standards are just set so high...and that's not a bad thing.....this fanbase has a lot of pride......more than any other. We want success....all day everyday....we can't accept failure....it;s just not us...the montreal canadiens is winning and that's what we're doing now....finally....i believe we're back.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:52 PM
  #48
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
speaking for myself its this reason

we have won nothing in 20 years , and I am tired of seeing this team bandaid , patch , their way year in and year out and most people are overhyping the team and or prospects

I remember a few years ago Gainey lets his entire team go to UFA , we didnt take advantage of any trades at the deadline

then we sign a bunch of midgets and players past their prime , we have a FLUKE
playoff run and everyone is excited how great we are , when in reality the year after most teams get back to where they should be and thats exactly what happened .

even this year , we go from last to first in this shortened year . We are much improved but lets be realistic , are we really going to win the cup ?

for years we traded kid after kid and watch them play better elsewhere with little or nothing to show for them in trades

so far the Bergy era has gone well , I still question some of his signings

all I want to see now is Galchy and Eller emerge come next season upfront and with Pk , Max, Gallagher and Price we have the makings of a solid core down the road

I just want to win effen cup , nothing more nothing less folks
If I was a Pens, B's, Ducks or a Hawks fan, I wouldn't be much more confident of my team's chances of winning. The Bruins got ran over by the Caps last year, so did the pens lose to Philly and as a ducks or hawks fan I would be worried that my team might not be able to win against the other in the conference final, let alone the stanley cup final.

A team on paper can only give you an idea of the % of chances you have to get to the cup. If you know a thing or two about poker think of the odds of winning pre-flop with the best possible hand in the game, a pair of aces.

c-clubs h-hearts d-diamonds s-spades
27.290% AcAd
03.937% KcQc
06.859% TcTd
16.272% 6d5d
09.002% KhKs
16.352% JsTs
09.908% 5c4c
10.381% AhQh

Sure you want to have the best possible hand before the cards get dealt but you're still going to win only less than 1 hand out of 3. There are too many factors in a playoff run to be able to make a correct assessment of a team's ability to win it all. No team in the past 20 years had an overwhelming chance to win the cup before the 1st game of the PO was played. Maybe the Pittsburgh penguins in 2009 or the lightning 2004 but they still won their cup by one goal in game 7.

The way I see the habs right now is that we have 3 lines that can at any given game be the number 1 line and we also have a defensive unit that is perhaps unmatched in terms of talent and competence. If Subban and Price stay healthy anything is possible.


Last edited by Alexdaman: 03-22-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:58 PM
  #49
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
If I was a Pens, B's, Ducks or a Hawks fan, I wouldn't be much more confident of my team's chances of winning. The Bruins got ran over by the Caps last year, so did the pens lose to Philly and as a ducks or hawks fan I would be worried that my team might not be able to win against the other in the conference final, let alone the stanley cup final.

A team on paper can only give you an idea of the % of chances you have to get to the cup. If you know a thing or two about poker think of the odds of winning pre-flop with the best possible hand in the game, a pair of aces.

c-clubs h-hearts d-diamonds s-spades
27.290% AcAd
03.937% KcQc
06.859% TcTd
16.272% 6d5d
09.002% KhKs
16.352% JsTs
09.908% 5c4c
10.381% AhQh

Sure you want to have the best possible hand before the cards get dealt but you're still going to win only less than 1 hand out of 3. There are too many factors in a playoff run to be able to make a correct assessment of a team's ability to win it all. No team in the past 20 years had an overwhelming chance to win the cup before the 1st game of the PO was played. Maybe the Pittsburgh penguins in 2009 but they still won in game 7.
agreed come playoffs u need health, luck , those kris kontos overachieving performers ,and your best players being your best

But the Bruins are built to win and for years , solid team , talent and kids

Pitt has the 2 best players in the world when healthy , Letang , Neil and Kunitz

we arent in that class yet maybe in a year or so

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:00 PM
  #50
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
If I was a Pens, B's, Ducks or a Hawks fan, I wouldn't be much more confident of my team's chances of winning. The Bruins got ran over by the Caps last year, so did the pens lose to Philly and as a ducks or hawks fan I would be worried that my team might not be able to win against the other in the conference final, let alone the stanley cup final.

A team on paper can only give you an idea of the % of chances you have to get to the cup. If you know a thing or two about poker think of the odds of winning pre-flop with the best possible hand in the game, a pair of aces.

c-clubs h-hearts d-diamonds s-spades
27.290% AcAd
03.937% KcQc
06.859% TcTd
16.272% 6d5d
09.002% KhKs
16.352% JsTs
09.908% 5c4c
10.381% AhQh

Sure you want to have the best possible hand before the cards get dealt but you're still going to win only less than 1 hand out of 3. There are too many factors in a playoff run to be able to make a correct assessment of a team's ability to win it all. No team in the past 20 years had an overwhelming chance to win the cup before the 1st game of the PO was played. Maybe the Pittsburgh penguins in 2009 or the lightning 2004 but they still won their cup by one goal in game 7.
The Ducks have completely over achieved this year

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.