HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 10:23 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Tyler J. Altemose ‏@TJamesAltemose 9h
2013 NHL Draft Lottery Projections: 1. FLA (25.0%); 2. COL (18.8%); 3. PHI (14.2%); 4. WSH (10.7%); 5. TBL (8.1%); 6. BUF (6.2%)...
so close

keep losing fellas, we're almost there

Old
03-22-2013, 10:35 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 50
In the new CBA, what's the best and worst scenario for where we could draft if we finished with, lets say the 5th worst record? Could we get the first pick, could we somehow get screwed into 10th?

Old
03-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
In the new CBA, what's the best and worst scenario for where we could draft if we finished with, lets say the 5th worst record? Could we get the first pick, could we somehow get screwed into 10th?
You can only drop one place.

So, in your scenario, 1st or 6th.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:41 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
so close

keep losing fellas, we're almost there
yes YES YES!

Old
03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
You can only drop one place.

So, in your scenario, 1st or 6th.
So is the lottery only for the first pick?

For example if the standing finish like this as the bottom teams:
30. Florida
29. Colorado
28. Washington
27. Buffalo
26. Philadelphia

If the Flyers won the lottery for the first pick would it automatically go:
Philadelphia
Florida
Colorado
Washington
Buffalo

or is there a lottery for the 2nd pick and so on?

Old
03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Inb4 this team makes a run and they finish as the 9th seed.

That would suck.

A lot.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
So is the lottery only for the first pick?

For example if the standing finish like this as the bottom teams:
30. Florida
29. Colorado
28. Washington
27. Buffalo
26. Philadelphia

If the Flyers won the lottery for the first pick would it automatically go:
Philadelphia
Florida
Colorado
Washington
Buffalo

or is there a lottery for the 2nd pick and so on?
There is only a lottery for the 1st overall pick. That's why you can only drop down a maximum of one place from where you finish.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:27 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Inb4 this team makes a run and they finish as the 9th seed.

That would suck.

A lot.
In years past I would say that but this team just doesnt have the pieces to put together a bunch of wins in a row. Here is their remaining schedule. I have them going 5-13 to finish the season for a record of 18-29-1. I can't see them finishing better than 7-11 even in a best case scenario which would be 20-27-1.

We dont play Florida or Tampa again. We only play Buffalo and Washington once. 16 of our last 18games are all teams in the playoffs or teams battling for a spot.

Pitt- L
NYR- L
NYI- W
Boston- L
Wash- W
Mon- L
Tor- L
WPG- L
NYI- L
Ott- W
Buff- W
Mon- L
NYR- L
NJ- L
Car- W
Boston- L
NYI- L
Ott- L

Old
03-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

The problem with Nichushkin is that he has a deal with the KHL for two years after this season. So anyone drafting him will not see him for three years. I love this kid, but unless anyone can exsplain to me the legal end here I would pass on him. But dam he is a special young man who would look good on Giroux's line. Jones, Nurse, and MacKinnon would look great in Black and Orange. But if we are picking in the 15 to 20 range(which I doubt), I like Pulock and of course another young man who fits the Flyer mold is...... Kerby Rychel Now only if we can get Danny boy to do the right thing and waive his clause in order to help the team out. Danny, just pretend you are back in Germany

Old
03-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
The problem with Nichushkin is that he has a deal with the KHL for two years after this season. So anyone drafting him will not see him for three years. I love this kid, but unless anyone can exsplain to me the legal end here I would pass on him. But dam he is a special young man who would look good on Giroux's line. Jones, Nurse, and MacKinnon would look great in Black and Orange. But if we are picking in the 15 to 20 range(which I doubt), I like Pulock and of course another young man who fits the Flyer mold is...... Kerby Rychel Now only if we can get Danny boy to do the right thing and waive his clause in order to help the team out. Danny, just pretend you are back in Germany
I'm sort of assuming that the Flyers would pass on Nichushkin for this reason, unless they somehow end up toward the end of the top-10 and he drops.

On the other hand, three years from now, it could be awesome to have a guy like him just starting an ELC.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

The Flyers won't draft Nichushkin. They've only drafted 22 Russians since '90.

The highest: Denis Metlyuk as the #31 pick (2nd round) in '92.

They've never drafted a Russian in the 1st round before.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
At this point, I still think MacKinnon is a better pro prospect than Drouin.

His game is just built to succeed at the NHL level. His skating is the definition of "elite", and reports have said that he has the best acceleration of any prospect in years. He backchecks, and plays a Taylor Hall type offense where he drives the net using his speed and power.

To give you a good look at his skating prowess. Unreal.
Wow. He moves faster in reverse than my Toyota.

I think that style of forward makes most sense because we need someone to play with Giroux, but I just like this kid:

Old
03-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Prongo
Beer

Halifax winning its playoff game right now 11-2. Druoin has 6 assists and Mac has 2+2. Martin frk has 8 points 5+3.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

No doubt that Drouin is an elite prospect. His hands are the best in the draft IMO, and he just oozes offense.

But I still think MacKinnon is the better prospect, because he has elite talent like Drouin, but has better skating and a better frame. His body and game is just much more suited for the NHL.

I still think Jones is the best prospect in the draft though.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Codith

whether its Jonesor Drouin or Mackinnon, its a win, all these kids are studs

Old
03-22-2013, 08:00 PM
MP92
Samoan strong

Drouin reminds me a lot of Patrick Kane and a little bit of Giroux. I actually think he has better hands than Giroux.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
whether its Jonesor Drouin or Mackinnon, its a win, all these kids are studs
Barkov is supposed to be great, too. He's putting up nearly a point per game in the Finnish Elite League as a 17 year old.

If the Flyers pick 4th I'd rather they take him than Nichushkin. Maybe he can live with Kimmo in his first year.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
We would have to wait until his KHL deal ran out (assuming he doesn't sign an extension during that time period). There's an agreement in place now with NHL and KHL honoring existing contracts between the two leagues.

Nichushkin could fall out the top 10 because of that.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
We would have to wait until his KHL deal ran out (assuming he doesn't sign an extension during that time period). There's an agreement in place now with NHL and KHL honoring existing contracts between the two leagues.

Nichushkin could fall out the top 10 because of that.
That's why we need to do a deal with a team like Carolina. Get their 1st and McBain for Coburn and Talbot Then have us continue to lose and finish dead last. Then have Carolina win the draft...thus us...and then we have #1 and #2. Hello Jones and Drouin or MacKinnon. One can dream!!

Old
03-22-2013, 10:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm so torn on who the Flyers should draft. Personally, I would love to see Barkov in Philadelphia. I'm a huge fan of his game and think he's got star quality to him. He plays in all three zones and is just so smart out there. However, I'm also a very big fan of Darnell Nurse and his ever growing, changing and impressing game. For all the talk that Jones gets, Nurse is flying quietly under the radar and is a very impressive defensive prospect. He's a big kid that can skate, can hit, has excellent offensive upside, and is also another intelligent player. Then there's Jonathan Drouin, the potential puck possession magician. I look at him and think he and Couturier would be a perfect fit on a line together. Couturier's defensive game would allow Drouin to flourish in an offensive role and really let Drouin show what he can do. You can't teach hands and skill like that. Finally, there's Nathan Mackinnon, who has really become the Couturier of this draft. He was consensus number one for a while, then he lost his draft position and it seems that there are all sorts of question marks with his game now.

It's such a good top 10 for the draft this year. Honestly, even if the Flyers don't end up with Jones, I'd be more than content with a Nurse or Mackinnon or Drouin or Barkov. You really can't go wrong with any one of those guys. It's a very sweet consolation prize for such a bad year. The Flyers are due.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:29 PM
daynus

this 13 draft is just sexy

first jones. a two way stud on d. big mac at 2nd, a guy that hits, quicker than lightning. drouin at 3rd. playmaker like giroux, scorer like kane. and imagine going into a shooutout with drouin. the goalie wont know what the heck hit him. but will soon, when he sees the puck in the net. barkov at 4, big boy, good offense, defense. pretty much a complete forward. then the d, around 6-10 or so. nurse,risto,zadarov. hey we may be golfing early, but we gonna snag a star.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
That's why we need to do a deal with a team like Carolina. Get their 1st and McBain for Coburn and Talbot Then have us continue to lose and finish dead last. Then have Carolina win the draft...thus us...and then we have #1 and #2. Hello Jones and Drouin or MacKinnon. One can dream!!
If that does happen a team like Columbus could snag him up. They have three 1st rounders this year.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:11 AM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
yes YES YES!

Old
03-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Barkov is supposed to be great, too. He's putting up nearly a point per game in the Finnish Elite League as a 17 year old.

If the Flyers pick 4th I'd rather they take him than Nichushkin. Maybe he can live with Kimmo in his first year.
I agree.Barkov is close to NHL ready now. But some team is going to pick Nichushkin and down the road people are going to be saying how did that guy slip past us. But if we are picking 4 or 5 we have to grab Nurse. I do not seee him moving up past that, but can you imagine the dilemma the brass would have then? Any of these young men could turn out to be special. Can you imagine landing MacKinnon?

Old
03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
BernieParent

I'd agree with the order being proposed here, depending on where the Flyers are picking:
1) Jones
2) MacKinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nurse

And it makes perfect sense, as LoD posted, for Columbus to use one of their picks on Nikushkin if he is available when they draft. They can arguably afford to take the chance on him and still snag a couple of lower-risk players.

Closed Thread