HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Max Talbot Available

Old
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Totally agree on the bolded.
However...the fact that the 180 top forwards are 1st and secondliners, him being at 193 would be a 3rd liner if he averages 12 goals(a total that he has gotten or broken 4 times)
And I do agree that he would not bring back a top 4 d-man. I only argue that he is a 3rd liner...not a 4th liner
So third line skill, even if he's being used on the fourth. I'll buy that, but I wouldn't put him among the creme of the 3rd line crop (Stoll, Sutter, Gaustad...maybe Bolland, etc.).

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:48 PM
JayB

Can we trade Talbot to one of these players?
Leo Komarov
Mat Martin
Chris Neil
Kyle Clifford
Brian Boyle
Tanner Glass
Matt Henricks
Jordin Tootoo
Brandon Prust
Ryan Reaves
Cal Clutterbuck
Marcus Foligno

Last edited by JayB: 03-22-2013 at 05:07 PM.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Talbot+Fedotenko+Mezsarov for Clowe+Murray+2nd.

The value doesn't look great for the Sharks, and the deal really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Why trade Talbot and Mezsaros (who are under contract) for two UFAs?

If you move them, you move them for futures or controllable assets.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:23 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Leo Komarov
Mat Martin
Chris Neil
Kyle Clifford
Brian Boyle
Tanner Glass
Matt Henricks
Jordin Tootoo
Brandon Prust
Ryan Reaves
Cal Clutterbuck
Marcus Foligno
What about Travis Moen?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Leo Komarov No
Mat Martin Yes
Chris Neil No
Kyle Clifford No
Brian Boyle Yes
Tanner Glass Yes
Matt Henricks Yes
Jordin Tootoo Yes
Brandon Prust No
Ryan Reaves Yes
Cal Clutterbuck No
Marcus Foligno No
I wouldn't even want any of the guys I listed as yes.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:53 PM
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I wouldn't even want any of the guys I listed as yes.

Mat Martin Yes
Brian Boyle Yes
Tanner Glass Yes
Matt Henricks Yes
Jordin Tootoo Yes
Ryan Reaves Yes

So you dont want them ? what if they add pick around 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Boyle&Hendricks would be nice fourth line centers who can win faceoff better than what we have now. Martin,Glass,Tootoo and Reaves could bring more gritty to our 4th line.

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Boyle&Hendricks would be nice fourth line centers who can win faceoff better than what we have now. Martin,Glass,Tootoo and Reaves could bring more gritty to our 4th line.
They add goonage, not grit.

Talbot is a perfect blend of grit and skill. We have Rinaldo for the other stuff.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
So third line skill, even if he's being used on the fourth. I'll buy that, but I wouldn't put him among the creme of the 3rd line crop (Stoll, Sutter, Gaustad...maybe Bolland, etc.).
I think the key thing here is that the guys you mention are all C's. Talbot mostly plays wing. Talbot's stats compart to Gaustad, but below the rest. But when you look at their stats(the other guys), they actually produce in the top 180 forwards...which takes then to 2nd line production. I guess the way to look at it is like this:

Take Mike Fisher. No one would say he is a #1C. But last year he was #30 in Centers in scoring and #87 in Forwards. So technically, he produced as a 1st liner because that's where he was. With Talbot, he has produced ON AVERAGE as #193...so that is just out of the top 2 lines(180 spots) So he would be #13 in 3rd liners...which is 77 spots higher than people saying he is a 4th liner. That's a big swing. Not sure why people have an issue saying he is a 3rd line winger...because that is what he is.

Edit:last year he was tied for #102 in goals...that would make him just outside a 1st liner in goals, but no one who say or think that, yet that is what his production was last year. But that was a odd bump in production...hence why I use 12 goals as that is his career average.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Mat Martin Yes
Brian Boyle Yes
Tanner Glass Yes
Matt Henricks Yes
Jordin Tootoo Yes
Ryan Reaves Yes

So you dont want them ? what if they add pick around 2nd or 3rd rounder?

New York wouldn't trade with us more than likely. Hendricks is ok but you can sign guys like that in the offseason. The rest of those guys are goons you can easily find someone to fill that role through free agency.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
He was pretty much run out of town when he was playing for half the cost he is now.

No.
Run out of town? Pitts was a cap team at the time and couldn't afford him (cap wise).

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:32 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Run out of town? Pitts was a cap team at the time and couldn't afford him (cap wise).
A lot (not all) of Pens fans love to crap all over Talbot now since he signed with the rivals from across the state. How quickly they forget how much he did for the franchise, like you know, scoring two goals in a Stanley Cup clinching game. Apparently he is only a shell of his former self and borderline useless.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:33 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I think the key thing here is that the guys you mention are all C's. Talbot mostly plays wing. Talbot's stats compart to Gaustad, but below the rest. But when you look at their stats(the other guys), they actually produce in the top 180 forwards...which takes then to 2nd line production. I guess the way to look at it is like this:

Take Mike Fisher. No one would say he is a #1C. But last year he was #30 in Centers in scoring and #87 in Forwards. So technically, he produced as a 1st liner because that's where he was. With Talbot, he has produced ON AVERAGE as #193...so that is just out of the top 2 lines(180 spots) So he would be #13 in 3rd liners...which is 77 spots higher than people saying he is a 4th liner. That's a big swing. Not sure why people have an issue saying he is a 3rd line winger...because that is what he is.

Edit:last year he was tied for #102 in goals...that would make him just outside a 1st liner in goals, but no one who say or think that, yet that is what his production was last year. But that was a odd bump in production...hence why I use 12 goals as that is his career average.
Personally I said he was not a good 3rd liner, because I interpreted the question as "would he be a good acquisition for the 3rd line for the playoffs" not as "is he likely to end up #270 or better among Fs in scoring." I have no real opposition to the statement that he is often likely to accomplish the latter.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:37 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
A lot (not all) of Pens fans love to crap all over Talbot now since he signed with the rivals from across the state. How quickly they forget how much he did for the franchise, like you know, scoring two goals in a Stanley Cup clinching game. Apparently he is only a shell of his former self and borderline useless.
You always need on depth player to go beast mode in a deep run. Talbot was great then. Still, you probably also be hard pressed to find too many Hawks fans willing to suggest other teams pay a kings ransom for Burish. Nostalgia isn't always your best advisor.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:44 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
You always need on depth player to go beast mode in a deep run. Talbot was great then. Still, you probably also be hard pressed to find too many Hawks fans willing to suggest other teams pay a kings ransom for Burish. Nostalgia isn't always your best advisor.
You mean the same Burish that was a scratch for most of the finals? You're killing every ounce of your credibility when you compare Talbot to Burish. I still remember a lot of Pens fans telling Flyers fans that Talbot lost his offensive touch when they signed him. Well what happened? He put up a career high in both goals and points last year, while playing on our first penalty killing unit and providing good two-way play.

edit: Just checked the stats for Burish that year in the playoffs. 15 games played with zero points. Tell me again how he was a depth guy that went on a beastly run.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
It's kind of hard to compare a guy who was a healthy scratch for a good part of the finals to a guy who scored 2 goals in a Stanley Cup clinching game.

Burish's only claim of fame during that series was calling Pronger an idiot and saying he was going to punch him the next he plays him in an interview minutes after winning a cup.

Talbot's a pretty good bottom six heart and soul guy who can also play the PK and defensive situations. He can even add some offense here and there. He'll probably hovering around the 10 goal mark a year.

I don't get why Pens fans love to make a big deal out of his contract. It's really not as bad as some of you make it out to be.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:38 PM
SEALBound

Glass for Talbot? Done.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Glass for Talbot? Done.
Even dismissing value, I have a hard time believing Homer would trade anything to Pittsburgh that would possibly help get the Pens over the top for a run. The Pens are a cup quality team, nobody wants to see Talbot do another 2 goal game 7 thing, especially if he came from Philly just months before.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Talbot was bad his last year in Pittsburgh, period. It was almost entirely because of injuries and I think that phrasing was bad...but there wasn't a single Penguins fan who looked at the contract he signed in Philadelphia and said "I wish we'd have done that." Talbot wasn't a $1.8 million player at that point, and I don't think 5 year deals for 4th liners makes any sense, especially not ones that are banged up.

I still like Talbot...he's the only Flyer I've ever not wanted to just outright punch in the face and it is because he spent so long as one of my favorite players (and that whole 2009 playoffs thing), but the Penguins made the right move by moving on.

I just don't think there are any 4th liners worth that contract and I don't think Talbot is a 3rd line player, which he almost never was in his time in Pittsburgh. Considering the crunch we're about to face with the salary cap I'm glad we don't have that cap hit sitting around anymore.

That said, bad contract and all, I'd swap Glass out for him in a heartbeat. Glass is ****ing terrible.

ďThe most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.Ē - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:49 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Talbot was bad his last year in Pittsburgh, period. It was almost entirely because of injuries and I think that phrasing was bad...but there wasn't a single Penguins fan who looked at the contract he signed in Philadelphia and said "I wish we'd have done that." Talbot wasn't a $1.8 million player at that point, and I don't think 5 year deals for 4th liners makes any sense, especially not ones that are banged up.

I still like Talbot...he's the only Flyer I've ever not wanted to just outright punch in the face and it is because he spent so long as one of my favorite players (and that whole 2009 playoffs thing), but the Penguins made the right move by moving on.

I just don't think there are any 4th liners worth that contract and I don't think Talbot is a 3rd line player, which he almost never was in his time in Pittsburgh.

That said, bad contract and all, I'd swap Glass out for him in a heartbeat. Glass is ****ing terrible.
That's fine, but one bad year doesn't completely destroy a player's value. Talbot had a career year here last year while playing on the third line. Why shouldn't Flyer's fans say he's a third line when he produced like a third liner last year and is playing in a very similar role this year?

I understand that he was bad for his last year in a Pens uniform. But too many Pens fans want to label him as the player that he was in his last year instead of the player that he's been for most of the rest of his career.

I'd rather the Flyers don't move him. I think he could be a very good mentor for guys like Laughton and Cousins who should be coming up and filling third line roles in the next couple of years. But since the Flyers are having a terrible year, it would only make sense that everyone could be available I guess.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:54 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Even dismissing value, I have a hard time believing Homer would trade anything to Pittsburgh that would possibly help get the Pens over the top for a run. The Pens are a cup quality team, nobody wants to see Talbot do another 2 goal game 7 thing, especially if he came from Philly just months before.
Yes you're right...Talbot is the missing piece to a Penguins cup run. THAT is what they are missing. Of course.

Struggling 4th liner for struggling 4th liner. Nothing more, nothing less.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:01 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Yes you're right...Talbot is the missing piece to a Penguins cup run. THAT is what they are missing. Of course.

Struggling 4th liner for struggling 4th liner. Nothing more, nothing less.
That's not what I meant, but whatever. I meant that it's unlikely that the Flyers or Pens are going to be making trades... that's pretty much it. Talbot isn't really struggling either. Glass just sucks.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Tripod

If people think that Tanner Glass and Max Talbot are comparable, well then, they might as well close this thread. Glasses career year is 16 points. Talbots career year has 19 goals!! Talbot has only had 1 years with less than 16 points(except rookie year) and that is what Pens fans are basing his value on. Silly.

He averages at .50ppg in the playoffs for his career. Didn't know 4th liners do that. Oh that's right, they don't. Again...he is a 3rd liner. Nothing more...nothing less

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Boyle for Talbot straight up. You already traded Lindros here, so it's not like we never trade. Or Skjei for Talbot++.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:34 PM
jay from jersey

boyle

seems like a fit. salary is the same and his wide body pk abilities and face offs are good. he has shown he is capable of scoring goals. i believe the trade would benefit both players and both teams in the long run. talbot would be a good 4th line center with powe and asham or a youngin. Boyle would look good on broad street

jay from jersey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay from jersey View Post
seems like a fit. salary is the same and his wide body pk abilities and face offs are good. he has shown he is capable of scoring goals. i believe the trade would benefit both players and both teams in the long run. talbot would be a good 4th line center with powe and asham or a youngin. Boyle would look good on broad street
Talbot's not really that good at faceoffs. He can play center in a pinch but he's more suited for the wing.

Anyway I think most Flyers fans wouldn't want Boyle for Talbot. If we're trading Talbot we'll probably be looking for futures in return.